• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gilmore Holding Out?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not defending him. We just don't know enough about the situation and won't know until he's healthy - or camp starts - or both.
I also don't care if the take the $90,000+ fines from him.
Don't shit a brick if they negotiate a new contract and pay him back the fines.....
If his sitting out is because of his off season surgery I am okay with that. If it's for more money on an active contract I am not.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay let's try this.....

You decide you are more valued to your employer and ask to renegotiate your contract, until it's done you claim you will not be returning to work.

As your employer you know what I am doing?
Depends how good you are at your job.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how good you are at your job.
No, it doesn't. If you decide not to come to work, you won't work for me it's that simple. There is always someone waiting in the wings

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are still rationalizing him reneging on his contract, there is no way that is right IMO. I feel they should look at the sum of his monies do this year, divide that by the number of days from the start of camp to the end of the season (ie Superbowl Sunday). Then take that much money from his salary daily.

Would he allow the Pats to renegotiate if he had a shitty year? And he had one pick last year I think?
Actually, Yes he would allow it. He has no choice. Of course that renegotiation comes with a "ba-bye" attached as the team always has the option to cut players and terminate contracts (minus bonuses already paid and guarantees). Someone without knowledge of the CBA might think that's unfair, but it's part of bigger picture and is centered around ALL players collectively getting an agreed amount portion of revenue.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get all of the facts straight.

First, Gilmore renegotiated his present contract last year. In doing so, his contract of $16.5M was bumped up to $25.5 as a thank you for winning Defensive Player of the Year in 2019. He accepted the fact that 2021 would be a $7.5M contract because the bonus was taken from his contract as it was and the Patriots did not want to screw with it and mess up the cap in 2021. So basically, Gilmore got $9.0M of his 2021 salary in 2020.

IS he underpaid? If you believe that making a $7.5M salary in the NFL is being underpaid, then yes it is. The Patriots are being kicked in the nuts for being decent and Gilmore is being an asshole. He's not being underpaid because he got his salary a year early. The problem is in his head. He accepted the advance knowingly and without hesitation. Now he's convinced himself that he was rabbed and that the the extra $9M should hav e been a "Bonus".

Here's the problem in 2021. His performance in 2020 was down from 2019. He missed three games. he tore his quad and is supposedly still 'healing'. He wants a Jalen Ramsey contact at $20M for 5 years and wants the 2020contract torn up. Of course he wants part of the $100M to be up front and part of the contract to be guaranteed. Here's where the problem compounds. (1) If the quad is not healed, then when will it be 100% healed?(2) Gilmore is 30 years old. How badly has the injury affected his skill level and speed?(3) Is Gilmore so good that the Patriots should risk that kind of money?(4)Should the Patriots bite the bullet and keep him around and hope that he doesn't start eventual slide or should they trade him for a player or a future high draft pick? (5) If the Patriots dfo trade him, exactly where are they so weak that they would need a player of equal skill? (6) Do the Patriots negotiate another contract at a lower level like say $17M a year for 4 years and guarantee $51M??

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it doesn't. If you decide not to come to work, you won't work for me it's that simple. There is always someone waiting in the wings
If you believe every employee is exactly the same and none have more value than others, you might just preside over an underachieving organization.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's you and I don't disagree with your approach. But as a CEO you are in charge of how a company operates and in the football world that might mean making concessions for a player who might be the difference between a championship or anything else...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe every employee is exactly the same and none have more value than others, you might just preside over an underachieving organization.
Or I might weed out the narcissist that believe they are not replaceable. Again he had one INT last year ONE. Got a top loaded deal the year before and now wants more money before he will come practice with the team. Doesn't sound like a great employee to me, and that is what he is an employee.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or I might weed out the narcissist that believe they are not replaceable. Again he had one INT last year ONE. Got a top loaded deal the year before and now wants more money before he will come practice with the team. Doesn't sound like a great employee to me, and that is what he is an employee.
It's a case by case thing. In Gilmore's case I tend to lean toward YR's take.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torn Quad Rehab – What type of rehabilitation is needed after surgery?

After surgery, the patient will start with a gentle passive range of motion with their physical therapist. The patient will be able to weight bear all of their weight on their leg after a week or two, but will have to wear the brace they received after surgery locked straight for the first six weeks, except when doing their therapy. By six weeks post-op, the patient should have 90 degrees of flexion (bending) of the knee. After six weeks, progressive strengthening is started as well as increasing range of motion. Typically, the brace is discontinued at eight weeks from surgery. Light running is generally started at four months from surgery. Return to sport is governed by the ability to perform sport specific exercises and having adequate range of motion and strength. This is generally between 6-8 months from the day of surgery. It should be noted that rehabilitation protocols are often very specific to the type of injury and the type of repair that was achieved at the time of surgery. The above protocol is just an outline of “typical” rehabilitation.

Gilmore had surgery less than 6 months ago.....

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I have no issue with your assessment of Gilmore. He’s a senior citizen in NFL terms. I had an issue with your position that every employee is worth the same(very little).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torn Quad Rehab – What type of rehabilitation is needed after surgery?

After surgery, the patient will start with a gentle passive range of motion with their physical therapist. The patient will be able to weight bear all of their weight on their leg after a week or two, but will have to wear the brace they received after surgery locked straight for the first six weeks, except when doing their therapy. By six weeks post-op, the patient should have 90 degrees of flexion (bending) of the knee. After six weeks, progressive strengthening is started as well as increasing range of motion. Typically, the brace is discontinued at eight weeks from surgery. Light running is generally started at four months from surgery. Return to sport is governed by the ability to perform sport specific exercises and having adequate range of motion and strength. This is generally between 6-8 months from the day of surgery. It should be noted that rehabilitation protocols are often very specific to the type of injury and the type of repair that was achieved at the time of surgery. The above protocol is just an outline of “typical” rehabilitation.

Gilmore had surgery less than 6 months ago.....

So (not saying you are) perfect reason to hold out for more money

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or a perfect reason to not be ready for mini-camp and let reporters talk shit about you wanting more money!

and we all know that the media has never done this... Nope, never

It's possibly a little bit of both but I am going to go with he wants more money and is holding out. Since we have so many players in sports doing it

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I have no issue with your assessment of Gilmore. He’s a senior citizen in NFL terms. I had an issue with your position that every employee is worth the same(very little).
My position is when you sign a contract you should live up to the terms of that contract, and that if you don't plan on coming to work because you are pouting about the contract you signed then I can replace you.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've covered this well. Nothing to talk about until camp starts in July.

Unless Gilmore has been quoted that he will hold out for more money.....