• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: WCSF GAME 1 - Sharks at Kings - Tues. 7:00PM

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
seriously? voynovs was savable but pretty point blank and the other was a deflection 15 feet out.

The bottom line is the sharks scored zero goals. Nemo was better in this one than in several of the vancouver games...

Look back at sharks playoff history for decades. You see that they win virtually every game they score 3 goals. nabby always got blames, but in virtually every loss the sharks scored 2 or fewer. Against vancouver, the sharks scored 3+ in every game.

if the team scores 0, 1, or 2 they will lose. 3+ and they will win. Hell if they had scored 3 tonight, then we would all be fine with nemo's play. His play didnt change the number of goals they scored.

Bottom line, the sharks got zero rebounds. Got massively outworked on those rebounds. got zero screens and zero deflections. Granted quick made some great saves, but he saw them all.

He was playing deep on both shots, especially that richards one, Voynov a slapper from the top of the circle with zero lateral movement hes got to have that.

Sharks forwards spent the majority of the night skating past the net, and there was alot of holding by the kings defense in front of the net as well. Bottom line they need to work harder to get in front of quick and the net.

they outplayed LA the majority of the game

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Stoll never came back after the Torres hit... here are the shift charts from the NHL time-on-ice data: NHL Game Stats Parser

Suspension coming?

Need to see different angles but it looked like Stoll's head was low since he was crouching over and also looked like he got mostly shoulder?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what the hell happened to Logan on the first goal? Was that just a monster pick by Carter or how/why does he just go flying off like that?

cartmanlikesthis_medium.gif

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The two angles I saw it looked like the shoulder was the primary contact point. Some contact was made to the head but it didn't look significant.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's one video but I can't tell shit from those angles:

How much will a) reputation and b) Stoll being knocked out of the game play into a suspension here?

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
man, why do the sharks keep making opposing goalies look so good?

Since 2005-6 here was the series they lost:

First Roloson (6 gms, 11 total goals), then Hasek (6 gms, 9 total goals), Turco (6 gms 11 total goals), then Hiller ( 6+ gms with OT, 10 total goals including 2 shutouts) stones em. Then Nemo (4+ games with OT, 7 total goals), Elliot (5 gms 8 total goals), now Quick.

The only series they have lost in the last 7 years where they averaged 2.00 GFA was Vancouver 2 years ago (they had 2.6 GFA and that was with Nemo in net). Every other year they cant even score 2 goals per game average!

people blame the goaltending. They blamed nabby, but when you cant average 2 goals a game, you have to look somewhere other than the goaltending. In fact, Nabby NEVER LOST A SERIES WHEN HE GOT AN AVERAGE OF 2 GOALS PER GAME.

Enough talk of goaltending. Look no further than jumbo-patty. Once they are gone, the cup will come.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, WTF? The old blame-Marleau shit again?

Can we ban rules or something? Hah!

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marleau and Thornton were the Sharks best players tonight.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niemi needs to steal us a game just like Quick did.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team skill wise has what it takes but mentally they just don't. Same story, different year. The only way for them to win the cup is to hunt and not be the hunted!!!

They don't finish their checks! HIT SOMEONE HARD FOR FUCK SAKES! This team always get's beat up in the playoffs and how ironic they are one of the biggest teams in the league. The biggest reason the Kings won tonight was the CONSTANT pressure they put on the Sharks. Sharks got to do that right back, but they clearly don't understand hockey games are played for 60 minutes!

It was embarrassing to watch them try to hit and they'd miss a guy and run themselves into the boards or bounce off of them and fall down instead of the guy they tried to hit. What a bunch of big babies.

GET SOME CONFIDENCE, GROW SOME BALLS AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELVES ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marleau and Thornton were the Sharks best players tonight.

yes, but....

Did they score?

Richards and carter were huge. They put the puck in the net....

Obviously this sharks team has some better depth that allow some of the pressure off those two, but nevertheless...

I just cant stand the blame the goalie bullshit. The team got shut out. Its a was a full team shut out and they tried hard in the 3rd, but it is what it is...

Rares, sorry for my frustration. I just see the same shit year after year. They run into a team that works harder and a "hot" goalie and there yah go.

How often does an opposing player straight up call their opponents lazy before a series like doughty did. its the first time Ive ever seen it. Doughty said the sharks dont work hard. in this game, he was exactly right. The kings won the battles in front, they won the rebound battles. They won the screening battles. Yes, quick played great but the sharks lost the key battles and did fly-bys behind the net instead of stopping in front, taking the punishment and pounding home the rebounds.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, WTF? The old blame-Marleau shit again?

Can we ban rules or something? Hah!

p.s. go fuck yourself, rares. I know you hate my anger toward marleau, and I know you, like me, get annoyed at losses, but avoid the personal attacks, eh? I dont want to start getting into personal shit...

Just as you are entitled to your love of patty, I saw zero goals and -1. he threw some hits, made a few plays, but ultimately, he didnt help the team win this game. That's all that matters. He wasnt alone by any stretch and didnt stand out negatively to me, but I just know that he and jumbo are famous for inconsistent performance, and I fear we are about to see that again for the umpteenth straight year.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) The series isn't over.

2) Tonight's game was exciting and I have no problem with this loss.

3) The Sharks already made it further into the playoffs than I thought they would so any extra wins at this point are just gravy for me.

So, yeah, I'm probably the wrong person to argue with here. /shrug

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings jump the point men quick and are forcing shots to the net when no Shark is in front yet. PP needs to be more urgent. That's the time to expend the energy to score. Pavelski needs some help, losing Torres off his wing hurts. Quick didn't have to make amazing saves, but he made several good ones.

Get em Thursday.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't talk to me about +/- bullshit, please.

Marleau had a +1 Corsi rating and Thornton was a game-high +18:

NHL Game Stats Parser

Yes, score effects were at play with the Sharks trailing and the Kings sitting back/resisting the siege, but still.

Here's what Derek at FTF had to say earlier tonight about people criticizing Marleau:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1) The series isn't over.

2) Tonight's game was exciting and I have no problem with this loss.

3) The Sharks already made it further into the playoffs than I thought they would so any extra wins at this point are just gravy for me.

So, yeah, I'm probably the wrong person to argue with here. /shrug

this is a good point. I actually had hoped they would trade boyle, jumbo, patty and pretty all the greybeards to rebuild immediately around late february/march. its nice that I got to enjoy some good hockey for a little while...

I cant say I am OK with this loss as you are. I get pretty fired up and I am OK if I feel that they are working hard for the full game ,but I kinda felt with was a tale of two games. The sharks were excellent in the first 5-10 mins. Their first PP was very strong. Then they just stopped. They started turning it over and it was a matter of time before LA would score. The second was also stifling and they were badly outplayed. Not in an obvious way but it looked like the STL series last year with LA in full control. The 3rd was nice to see and you could see they were working hard for alot of it, though I would sure have liked to see them work harder for rebounds.

The series isnt over, but if it goes 2-0, it is. I have tix for game 4, but if it goes 3-0, Ill sell em. I just dont see this team having the ability to overcome that kind of adversity against a perfectly coached LA team with perfect leaders who sacrifice everything to win. LA is unbelievably hard working and physical while quite skilled and if the sharks drop the first 2, it'll be a sweep...

Thursday is the season IMO.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most of the time it takes more than one player to create a goal. Why choose to blame the players who won the battles to control the puck and create the scoring chance but not the others who failed to finish it?

You can do everything right and still loose. It happens. It's sports. Singling out any player for whats continually amounted to a team wide failure is a very shortsided view IMO.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by the doom and gloom after one game which was decided by two fluky deflections.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's one video but I can't tell shit from those angles:

How much will a) reputation and b) Stoll being knocked out of the game play into a suspension here?

that was shoulder to shoulder, that was a bad call and a reputation call.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't talk to me about +/- bullshit, please.

Marleau had a +1 Corsi rating and Thornton was a game-high +18:

NHL Game Stats Parser

Yes, score effects were at play with the Sharks trailing and the Kings sitting back/resisting the siege, but still.

Here's what Derek at FTF had to say earlier tonight about people criticizing Marleau:

haha... cute. Well, I guess he's awesome. How are patty's stats in the series that they lose? how many goals does he have in those games?

If he really was so good, then why does so much of the hockey world criticize him? Are there THAT many idiots? Its just JR either. There are a ton of articles from every merc writer and many national writers all saying the same thing... He has a ton of goals, yes, but how many when it matters most? How many in the losses? How many times did he play great but the sharks lose?

Until he plays consistently throughout the PO's without long disappearing acts, he, like jumbo, will always be criticized. To win the cup you cant have 5 goals and 10 points in 1 series, then nothing the next. Sure, you might be a point per game that PO year, but at the end of the day, you have to be consistently good for 2 months to win a cup and that is something he is extremely well known for being unable to do.