• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: WCSF GAME 1 - Sharks at Kings - Tues. 7:00PM

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So NBC follows this game up with the replay of the US losing to Slovakia 4-1. Thanks jerks.

I agree that the Sharks played a pretty good game. They carried a lot of the play and had some really good pressure at times. The thing I think they need to correct is their play in front of the net. LA outworked them, kept the front of the net clear and didn't allow many rebound chances.

If the Sharks can take the next game in LA, it will be a series. And I have to say if they keep this level of effort up I will be proud of the team win or lose.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the time it takes more than one player to create a goal. Why choose to blame the players who won the battles to control the puck and create the scoring chance but not the others who failed to finish it?

You can do everything right and still loose. It happens. It's sports. Singling out any player for whats continually amounted to a team wide failure is a very shortsided view IMO.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by the doom and gloom after one game which was decided by two fluky deflections.

Lol, what are you new here?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most of the time it takes more than one player to create a goal. Why choose to blame the players who won the battles to control the puck and create the scoring chance but not the others who failed to finish it?

You can do everything right and still loose. It happens. It's sports. Singling out any player for whats continually amounted to a team wide failure is a very shortsided view IMO.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by the doom and gloom after one game which was decided by two fluky deflections.

its not only them... its a team loss.

The doom and gloom comes from years of scars. I am trying to overcome them, but when you get emotional about the games and have been a psycho fan for over 20 years, its reallly reallllly realllllllly hard not to have flashbacks after a game like this.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but....

Did they score?

Richards and carter were huge. They put the puck in the net....

Obviously this sharks team has some better depth that allow some of the pressure off those two, but nevertheless...

I just cant stand the blame the goalie bullshit. The team got shut out. Its a was a full team shut out and they tried hard in the 3rd, but it is what it is...

Rares, sorry for my frustration. I just see the same shit year after year. They run into a team that works harder and a "hot" goalie and there yah go.

How often does an opposing player straight up call their opponents lazy before a series like doughty did. its the first time Ive ever seen it. Doughty said the sharks dont work hard. in this game, he was exactly right. The kings won the battles in front, they won the rebound battles. They won the screening battles. Yes, quick played great but the sharks lost the key battles and did fly-bys behind the net instead of stopping in front, taking the punishment and pounding home the rebounds.

Did you catch during that huge funk at the beginning of the shortened season that Randy Haun picked the Kings to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions?!? How does playing the defending champions and your own team broadcaster's comments not bring out the best in you?!?!?

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We played well enough to get a win tonight, just didn't get the bounces. Need to come back for next game and get a result. Have some faith guys! Its only one game on the road!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its not like the Sharks were going to go 16-0 in the playoffs. Quick can't save everything!

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally done with work and able to finish the game. Impressions:

1. Sharks are going to have to man up and stick some asses in Quick's face. A lot more rubber is going to need to go that way too - he just looks deep in his zone... nothing you can do but work harder in front of the net.

2. Goal 1 looked really odd to me - Torres was way out of position, the guy on the point looks tangled up and Loco is in wipe out mode next to the net. It looked like a lot of interference going on - but hard to see. Regardless, mental lapse = good opportunity = goal. I think it was savable, but lets be honest: it was a monster of a shot and a really good one. Its best not to give the opportunities away in the first place.

3. Goal 2 - what are you going to do... they got a bounce.

4. I thought the Sharks played pretty good hockey. I don't care for Joe trying to slow the play down - I think we got stuck a few times but overall Joe and Patty had pretty solid games. They were physical and moving their feet - Hell, Joe even through the puck at the net intentionally and Patty had some hits. I would like to see these guys in front of the net more... and we need them there.

5. Power play sucked dirty balls. 30% my hairy dick.. They had chances and didn't finish here. Major factor to the loss imho.

6. At times I thought our back check was a little weak and through the 2nd period the passing wasn't crisp.. a lot of turnovers and fighting to get out of our zone - have to clean that up.

7. Forecheck needs improvement. It was good, but that will not get it done against LA. I didn't think we had enough sustained pressure in their zone and we are going to need to challenge them here a lot more.

8. Our 3rd and 4th lines haven't looked this good in years. Last year's squad would have had 3-4 penalties and given up a few more goals. We need them to be a more aggressive checking line though - I don't feel we were wearing them down enough and we got victimized on some line changes where the 3rd/4th line were stuck in our zone and matched up against a line that was not good for us.

I think there are some areas we could improve on but bottom line is LA != VAN. We are going to need mistake free hockey and a larger commitment from the team. While I didn't like the loss, I was ok with it since I saw solid work out there. I think if we get more of what we saw we can get some wins and push this series out.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was shoulder to shoulder, that was a bad call and a reputation call.

Wow, he barely if that clipped the head. Hopefully the league sees it the same way.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
haha... cute. Well, I guess he's awesome. How are patty's stats in the series that they lose? how many goals does he have in those games?

If he really was so good, then why does so much of the hockey world criticize him? Are there THAT many idiots? Its just JR either. There are a ton of articles from every merc writer and many national writers all saying the same thing... He has a ton of goals, yes, but how many when it matters most? How many in the losses? How many times did he play great but the sharks lose?

Until he plays consistently throughout the PO's without long disappearing acts, he, like jumbo, will always be criticized. To win the cup you cant have 5 goals and 10 points in 1 series, then nothing the next. Sure, you might be a point per game that PO year, but at the end of the day, you have to be consistently good for 2 months to win a cup and that is something he is extremely well known for being unable to do.

So if your holding patty to that standard you better slowvelski to it as well

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, he barely if that clipped the head. Hopefully the league sees it the same way.

That angle it was straight shoulder to shoulder no head contact. Kings are deathly afraid of Ralphie and it looks like marleau is turning into a hitting machine too all good signs

That's two big heavy fast skating guys, doughty does not approve

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally done with work and able to finish the game. Impressions:

1. Sharks are going to have to man up and stick some asses in Quick's face. A lot more rubber is going to need to go that way too - he just looks deep in his zone... nothing you can do but work harder in front of the net.

2. Goal 1 looked really odd to me - Torres was way out of position, the guy on the point looks tangled up and Loco is in wipe out mode next to the net. It looked like a lot of interference going on - but hard to see. Regardless, mental lapse = good opportunity = goal. I think it was savable, but lets be honest: it was a monster of a shot and a really good one. Its best not to give the opportunities away in the first place.

3. Goal 2 - what are you going to do... they got a bounce.

4. I thought the Sharks played pretty good hockey. I don't care for Joe trying to slow the play down - I think we got stuck a few times but overall Joe and Patty had pretty solid games. They were physical and moving their feet - Hell, Joe even through the puck at the net intentionally and Patty had some hits. I would like to see these guys in front of the net more... and we need them there.

5. Power play sucked dirty balls. 30% my hairy dick.. They had chances and didn't finish here. Major factor to the loss imho.

6. At times I thought our back check was a little weak and through the 2nd period the passing wasn't crisp.. a lot of turnovers and fighting to get out of our zone - have to clean that up.

7. Forecheck needs improvement. It was good, but that will not get it done against LA. I didn't think we had enough sustained pressure in their zone and we are going to need to challenge them here a lot more.

8. Our 3rd and 4th lines haven't looked this good in years. Last year's squad would have had 3-4 penalties and given up a few more goals. We need them to be a more aggressive checking line though - I don't feel we were wearing them down enough and we got victimized on some line changes where the 3rd/4th line were stuck in our zone and matched up against a line that was not good for us.

I think there are some areas we could improve on but bottom line is LA != VAN. We are going to need mistake free hockey and a larger commitment from the team. While I didn't like the loss, I was ok with it since I saw solid work out there. I think if we get more of what we saw we can get some wins and push this series out.

Good takes.

Going back to the first goal, Korky mentioned that Nemo could have been a bit further out of his net. I watched it again and I agree, he could have been on top of the crease to give Voynov less net to shoot at. Still, it was a great shot and like you said caliraftdude, better to not give up those chances. The whole sequence was just clumsy from all the Sharks on the ice. They even won the Ozone faceoff, but things went downhill from there leading up to the goal.

I thought the Sharks had decent possession time. They do need to get more bodies to the net. Many point shots came too early when no one was in front of the net. Big reason is LA was quickly pressuring the points. If no Shark is in front of the net, the Shark dman should just dump it back down low instead of fluttering harmless, unscreened shots towards Quick.

Stoll being out is going to hurt them bad. I guess Torres just made his presence felt. Glad Wingels came back after getting rocked. Can't afford another injury to the forward group.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rare defensive zone mistake led to what turned out to be the game-winning goal. Late in the first period, the Kings got to a loose puck after a faceoff in their own zone, and raced up the ice. Raffi Torres failed to pick up Slava Voynov while the defense continued to back up, and Voynov walked in and unloaded a slap shot that beat Niemi to the top corner with 13 seconds go to before intermission.

Torres took responsibility for the mistake.

“When I’m coming back into my zone, I can’t be looping and giving away that shot,” he said.

Quick impressive, but not the only factor in Sharks' loss | CSN Bay Area

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Totally agree. The Sharks completely outplayed them for about two thirds of the game. Sometimes you play well and lose, other times you don't play so well and end up winning. That shit evens out.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. The Sharks completely outplayed them for about two thirds of the game. Sometimes you play well and lose, other times you don't play so well and end up winning. That shit evens out.

Yup - why I am not really that upset at the result of the game. I can tolerate a loss when it is just not in the cards. What drives me nuts is when the effort isn't there and its obvious.

We just need to sort out the mistakes and be more aggressive in their zone - too many changes to the game plan will hurt more than help imho.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A rare defensive zone mistake led to what turned out to be the game-winning goal. Late in the first period, the Kings got to a loose puck after a faceoff in their own zone, and raced up the ice. Raffi Torres failed to pick up Slava Voynov while the defense continued to back up, and Voynov walked in and unloaded a slap shot that beat Niemi to the top corner with 13 seconds go to before intermission.

Torres took responsibility for the mistake.

“When I’m coming back into my zone, I can’t be looping and giving away that shot,” he said.

Quick impressive, but not the only factor in Sharks' loss | CSN Bay Area

Nemo still needs to have that no screen top of the circles that's warm up shit

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup - why I am not really that upset at the result of the game. I can tolerate a loss when it is just not in the cards. What drives me nuts is when the effort isn't there and its obvious.

We just need to sort out the mistakes and be more aggressive in their zone - too many changes to the game plan will hurt more than help imho.

Exactly. When they play hard and put in the effort the entire game, like last night, that's all you can ask for.
If they play this way the rest of the series, they can win. If they continue to play this way and lose, I'd tip my hat to LA.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried at all, about this series. The Sharks are going to WIN this series and Quick stole game one. The Sharks were the better team and controlled most of the play. Two lucky bounces found there way into our net and that is all. The Sharks will be ready to take game 2 and if Torres is back or not, the Kings know the Sharks will be bringing it come Thursday.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds nice but... Torres WILL be out.. for more games than this series will last, most likely.

And also, the Sharks have absolutely nobody to replace any injured/suspended players with... I mean, nobody that should be on an NHL roster.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Abdalkater gets 2 games for arunning jumping headshot... Torres will get at least 5 for a shoulder to shoulder check... No penality or suspension for the Bruins/Leafs check from behind into the boards towards the end of the game... Gryba gets 2 games for a legal shoulder check... Shannahan needs to step down, he's the most inconsistant jackass with his rulings... Torres is getting suspended for 1 reason only and its cause he's Torres... Any other player lands that hit and it wouldnt evenbe reviewed..

Not to be adebbie downer but IMO if Torres is out for the series, SJ isnt going to advance... Hes been ahuge part of the recent success... This will be a huge blow to the team