• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: Giants @ Rockies - 4/11/12 - 5:40pm pst

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at you with the GDT....badass.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First night game of the year for the Giants, if I'm not mistaken.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh is unfairly getting the shadows. Only way he can win.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh is unfairly getting the shadows. Only way he can win.

It's pretty important to me that Tim has a decent outing today after shitting himself so badly before. He usually starts seasons off well so a bad April, this is not good.

:smow:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty important to me that Tim has a decent outing today after shitting himself so badly before. He usually starts seasons off well so a bad April, this is not good.

I want all 3 of the aces to put up QS's this week. They need to just be themselves, and we should be fine.

Having Vogey ready to go is a nice buffer, though...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Exactly the opposite. The years he won the Cy Young, in his first starts he went 4 innings and 3 innings. The last two years he had decent first games, so the only conclusion we can reach is ---> 2012 Cy Young Winner.

ok. In that four inning start they expected a rain delay, so they had Timmy come in after the delay. Still he only lasted four innings in a game that went nine.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly the opposite. The years he won the Cy Young, in his first starts he went 4 innings and 3 innings. The last two years he had decent first games, so the only conclusion we can reach is ---> 2012 Cy Young Winner.

ok. In that four inning start they expected a rain delay, so they had Timmy come in after the delay. Still he only lasted four innings in a game that went nine.

That was the cooch-toupe start, wasn't it?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If timmy's velocity stays in the 89-92 range this year would that alone effect your willingness to give him a long-term contract?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If timmy's velocity stays in the 89-92 range this year would that alone effect your willingness to give him a long-term contract?

Wouldn't it have to? We're all in agreement (I think) that we considered a long term deal to Cain less risky than to Tim, due to differences in body types and throwing motions, etc.

If his velocity keeps dropping and his K/BB rate keeps doing so also, we may be happy to let Seattle or whomever sign him for 5 yrs $120 mil. Or even trading him next year depending on where we are in the race.

Guys that pitch really really well early in their career and then keep doing so for years and years with few injuries are really rare. More are like Johan Santana, and I wouldn't be the least surprised if Tim is more like that than say a Roy Halladay who just keeps on keeping on.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it have to? We're all in agreement (I think) that we considered a long term deal to Cain less risky than to Tim, due to differences in body types and throwing motions, etc.

If his velocity keeps dropping and his K/BB rate keeps doing so also, we may be happy to let Seattle or whomever sign him for 5 yrs $120 mil. Or even trading him next year depending on where we are in the race.

Guys that pitch really really well early in their career and then keep doing so for years and years with few injuries are really rare. More are like Johan Santana, and I wouldn't be the least surprised if Tim is more like that than say a Roy Halladay who just keeps on keeping on.

Rep

These are my thoughts, only said more eloquently than I am capable.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Depends, does he adapt and take a more Jared Weaver like approach? Or does he still try to pitch like a power pitcher and get shelled?

MSG mentioned dropping K rates, well, he's still putting away 200 plus batters a season, and that's impressive. Only a handful of pitchers eclipse that 200k mark these days year in and out. Even with his C grade stuff last start, he still managed 7 strike outs.

If Tim can harness his command/control to pin point levels, I think he can still be an effective Ace/opening day starter. His curve, change, and slider are all plus pitches, and I think secondary stuff is what makes or breaks a pitcher.

That all being said, I say let him walk. I think he'll still be our numero uno ace the next two years, but I wouldn't pay him top dollar thinking that will be the same in 5 years. Look at the Mets with Johan - they paid him to be a number one, 2 shoulder surgies latter, and their lucky if he can be a good 3 borderline 2.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, does he adapt and take a more Jared Weaver like approach? Or does he still try to pitch like a power pitcher and get shelled?

MSG mentioned dropping K rates, well, he's still putting away 200 plus batters a season, and that's impressive. Only a handful of pitchers eclipse that 200k mark these days year in and out. Even with his C grade stuff last start, he still managed 7 strike outs.

If Tim can harness his command/control to pin point levels, I think he can still be an effective Ace/opening day starter. His curve, change, and slider are all plus pitches, and I think secondary stuff is what makes or breaks a pitcher.

That all being said, I say let him walk. I think he'll still be our numero uno ace the next two years, but I wouldn't pay him top dollar thinking that will be the same in 5 years. Look at the Mets with Johan - they paid him to be a number one, 2 shoulder surgies latter, and their lucky if he can be a good 3 borderline 2.

We obviously agree on the conclusion. My K/BB comment wasn't just about Ks dropping (which they have been). He's also walking more and more guys. Signs that the pinpoint control you cite may not be in his future. Also didn't he just declare he's out of the slider business, to protect his arm?

The situation is perfect, 2 years of under age 30 pitching, and if he keeps regressing he walks. No fuss no muss. Let someone else have his 30s.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We obviously agree on the conclusion. My K/BB comment wasn't just about Ks dropping (which they have been). He's also walking more and more guys. Signs that the pinpoint control you cite may not be in his future. Also didn't he just declare he's out of the slider business, to protect his arm?

The situation is perfect, 2 years of under age 30 pitching, and if he keeps regressing he walks. No fuss no muss. Let someone else have his 30s.

Exactly! I don't think he's going to be that good come his 30's.

We have Bum and Cain to fill out the top of our rotation for the next six years. Hopefully one of Osich, Crick, Blackburn, Meja and any of the other guys with mid/top of the rotation stuff can step up. And we have tons of catching depth, so on the off chance that at least one of those guys isnt in the bigs 3 years from now, we can possibly trade for more of a sure thing on the mound.

I have no qualms with investing the massive fortune they would be giving to Tim, and instead buying some offense (Granted, with clubs locking up every star these days, whats there to buy?) and a back end starter or two.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys that pitch really really well early in their career and then keep doing so for years and years with few injuries are really rare. More are like Johan Santana, ...

Or Zito. I don't think that's where Timmy is headed, but Zito's first 3-4 years were amazingly good. His last 3-4 years have been amazingly bad. There are pitchers that just ... fade away.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pagan cf
Cabrera lf
Sandoval 3b
Posey c
Huff 1b
Schierholtz rf
Crawford ss
Burriss 2b
Lincecum p

Nate gets a rare start, as does Burriss. Hopefully Bochy stops running Theriot out against RHP. Belt misses his 2nd start in a row.