• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT (23) - 12/3 Panthers at Sharks - 7:30PM

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tmac the Singletary of coaches? He looks more frustrated then motivated. We need a Harbaugh to get these guys turned around. If that wouldn't work nothing will.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team isn't going anywhere without a pk!

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ballgame. Greiss with a weak ass goal. Par for the course tonight. Sharks didn't deserve any kind of point tonight.

Congratulations to Florida, they deserved it. Sharks have big problems with speedy teams.

If not for Line 2, I'd hate to see where this team would be the last two games, lol.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty game.

Greiss also sucked so that didn't help much.

Oh well, good night.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that will do it. Another failed PK. At least it's a Saturday night now. Till next time when Heatley and Seto return again.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'll likely do it. The Sharks' woes against Florida continue. A game they probably should have won.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, thanks A Fuck Sharks!:L:L:L:L[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodnight everybody. I'm going to keep drinking beers, lol. Flying, enjoy some wine or something. Chango.....take a couple shots, lol.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ballgame. Greiss with a weak ass goal. Par for the course tonight. Sharks didn't deserve any kind of point tonight.

Congratulations to Florida, they deserved it. Sharks have big problems with speedy teams.

If not for Line 2, I'd hate to see where this team would be the last two games, lol.

They haven't great for 5 games. Chicago, Vancouver, LA, Montreal (got lucky at the end), and Florida. They could have lost all 5. Not really a complete game since Colorado. Need to get their act together quickly!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sooo mad cuz I'm here wasting my hard earned money watching this game @ the arena

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray/Boyle make Huskins/Wallin look like Pronger/Niedemayer. Seriously :)

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm glad Todd told the players
"u thought u had Sunday off, FUCK NO! We are going to have practice"
:evil: :yell: :mmph: :rant:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like no matter what McLellan does, the team stays the same. The coach can only do so much and I feel like McLellan has done everything he could possibly do to get this team to the Stanley Cup. The PLAYERS just don't seem to have what it takes. The last two seasons they were ousted by teams that were stronger both mentally and physically than them and overall those teams were just downright better. Now it seems like the Sharks have taken a step back, they just don't look like they are as good as they used to be. They aren't very deep at the forward position and I thought at the beginning of the season that they had the best d-corps from 1-6 that this franchise had ever seen but they are actually worse. Looks like Boyle is on the decline, Murray is slower than molasses in January, Burns is average, Vlasic is a good defenseman lacking in offensive prowess, Demers is still a project, Vandermeer is a solid vet and Colin White needs to retire. Doug needs to make some moves to make this team better because I just don't think they are as good as they were the past two seasons yet they are somehow supposed to take the next step? Doesn't equate.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to put part of this loss on McLellan. They were down a goal late in the 3rd and he was still only sending in one forechecker. Campbell was skating circles with the puck in his own zone and no one put any pressure on him. They let him kill half a minute for nothing. Coaching consists of more than just line juggling.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like no matter what McLellan does, the team stays the same. The coach can only do so much and I feel like McLellan has done everything he could possibly do to get this team to the Stanley Cup. The PLAYERS just don't seem to have what it takes. The last two seasons they were ousted by teams that were stronger both mentally and physically than them and overall those teams were just downright better. Now it seems like the Sharks have taken a step back, they just don't look like they are as good as they used to be. They aren't very deep at the forward position and I thought at the beginning of the season that they had the best d-corps from 1-6 that this franchise had ever seen but they are actually worse. Looks like Boyle is on the decline, Murray is slower than molasses in January, Burns is average, Vlasic is a good defenseman lacking in offensive prowess, Demers is still a project, Vandermeer is a solid vet and Colin White needs to retire. Doug needs to make some moves to make this team better because I just don't think they are as good as they were the past two seasons yet they are somehow supposed to take the next step? Doesn't equate.

I agree. Although I admit, it's kind of a "chicken or the egg" type of question. When Randy Carlyle "outcoached" McLellan in the 1st Round upset against the Ducks, I couldn't help but feeling that our top line was just outplayed. Carlyle was a genious for stacking Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan against our top line.....but Todd was an idiot for trying to go up strength against strength. Now, maybe Todd should have realized that his top line was being outplayed by theirs and maybe he could have juggled the lines more to get more advantageous matchups....but how far further would we really have gone that year (even if we did get past the Ducks) if we constantly had to find our top line a good matchup? Babcock always puts his top line up against the other top line (except in obvious cases like an icing call that he can get them out there against whoever is tired). Bottom line to me is, Jumbo and Patty need to keep evolving as players and WANT to have the game on their stick. They need to WANT to take the defensive zone faceoff with seconds left in the 3rd period because they know they can win the draw and battle to get the puck out of the zone safely. I mean, has a coach ever led his team through ALL 4 rounds and did it with smoke and mirrors? Or did his team just play really well and the coach made some well timed decisions?

Now, in fairness, Jumbo played his best hockey as a Shark from the middle of the 1st Round against the Kings on. That said, he and Patty need to find a way to be even better for this team to make a SC appearance.

I know a lot of people here don't agree with me that a team takes on the identity of its captain. However, I'd at least argue that some players do (and some do their own thing no matter what). I know for me, when I played, I loved playing for teams with a fiery captain (or even a silent one who played his ass off) MUCH more than I did playing for a team full of softies. After a game, if I have to go in and answer to Scott Stevens or Mark Messier (even if hypothetically they weren't good players) who I know gave everything they had.....or if I had to go in and answer to Jumbo who picks and chooses when he feels like giving it his all.....

Now all of this isn't to say that TMac doesn't deserve some blame, as he obviously does (NO coach is perfect, not even Bowman was). Unfortunately, and believe me I hope I'm wrong, wrong, wrong, I think we've seen the ceiling this team has under the Thornton-Marleau leadership. The problem is, how do you trade a guy like Jumbo if you're the Sharks? The fans love him, he all but guarantees playoffs annually, he has a NTC (or NMC), he takes a paycut to play here and he always states how much he loves it here as well. I'd be open to trading Marleau as well (even though he's a favorite of mine), but I think Thornton would fetch a bigger bounty (and rightfully so).

If you could pull off a trade like Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane for Thornton, I think you'd have to. Problem is, it ain't happening because Joe loves SJ and DWil loves Joe. Sorry for the novel Gents and lady.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Although I admit, it's kind of a "chicken or the egg" type of question. When Randy Carlyle "outcoached" McLellan in the 1st Round upset against the Ducks, I couldn't help but feeling that our top line was just outplayed. Carlyle was a genious for stacking Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan against our top line.....but Todd was an idiot for trying to go up strength against strength. Now, maybe Todd should have realized that his top line was being outplayed by theirs and maybe he could have juggled the lines more to get more advantageous matchups....but how far further would we really have gone that year (even if we did get past the Ducks) if we constantly had to find our top line a good matchup? Babcock always puts his top line up against the other top line (except in obvious cases like an icing call that he can get them out there against whoever is tired). Bottom line to me is, Jumbo and Patty need to keep evolving as players and WANT to have the game on their stick. They need to WANT to take the defensive zone faceoff with seconds left in the 3rd period because they know they can win the draw and battle to get the puck out of the zone safely. I mean, has a coach ever led his team through ALL 4 rounds and did it with smoke and mirrors? Or did his team just play really well and the coach made some well timed decisions?

Now, in fairness, Jumbo played his best hockey as a Shark from the middle of the 1st Round against the Kings on. That said, he and Patty need to find a way to be even better for this team to make a SC appearance.

I know a lot of people here don't agree with me that a team takes on the identity of its captain. However, I'd at least argue that some players do (and some do their own thing no matter what). I know for me, when I played, I loved playing for teams with a fiery captain (or even a silent one who played his ass off) MUCH more than I did playing for a team full of softies. After a game, if I have to go in and answer to Scott Stevens or Mark Messier (even if hypothetically they weren't good players) who I know gave everything they had.....or if I had to go in and answer to Jumbo who picks and chooses when he feels like giving it his all.....

Now all of this isn't to say that TMac doesn't deserve some blame, as he obviously does (NO coach is perfect, not even Bowman was). Unfortunately, and believe me I hope I'm wrong, wrong, wrong, I think we've seen the ceiling this team has under the Thornton-Marleau leadership. The problem is, how do you trade a guy like Jumbo if you're the Sharks? The fans love him, he all but guarantees playoffs annually, he has a NTC (or NMC), he takes a paycut to play here and he always states how much he loves it here as well. I'd be open to trading Marleau as well (even though he's a favorite of mine), but I think Thornton would fetch a bigger bounty (and rightfully so).

If you could pull off a trade like Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane for Thornton, I think you'd have to. Problem is, it ain't happening because Joe loves SJ and DWil loves Joe. Sorry for the novel Gents and lady.

I agree with you on the bolded. We know for a fact Jumbo takes nights off. There's just no other way to explain how he can be good on some nights and a floating turnover machine on others. As a player on the team, you can see that and it can make you think "why should I bust my ass when Mr. Captain here isn't?" Then you have different guys playing hard on different nights which leads to team inconsistency.

The Captain of this team should be Clowe. You might say that Clowe "is already a leader, he has an A, people listen to him. No need for the formality of the letter sewn into the sweater." But more important than making Clowe the Captain, is making Jumbo not the Captain. Jumbo should not be a focal point for motivation or inspiration.

To your point, Filo, about having to answer to a Scott Stevens or a Messier after a game, or having to 'answer' to Jumbo, I think it's obvious which scenario would make you shit your pants and which would be no big deal. Clowe isn't on the same level, but he's the closest thing the Sharks have to it. When Clowe got in a fight with Engelland vs PIT to try and spark the Sharks (Sharks were down 2-0 early), he looked over at the bench to see how the bench reacted, then the Sharks came back to tie that game, which shows the team responded. That was the moment I knew Clowe should have been the Captain on this roster.

No it's not about getting into fights. It's about showing that you give a damn every night and that losses are a big deal.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on the bolded. We know for a fact Jumbo takes nights off. There's just no other way to explain how he can be good on some nights and a floating turnover machine on others. As a player on the team, you can see that and it can make you think "why should I bust my ass when Mr. Captain here isn't?" Then you have different guys playing hard on different nights which leads to team inconsistency.

The Captain of this team should be Clowe. You might say that Clowe "is already a leader, he has an A, people listen to him. No need for the formality of the letter sewn into the sweater." But more important than making Clowe the Captain, is making Jumbo not the Captain. Jumbo should not be a focal point for motivation or inspiration.

To your point, Filo, about having to answer to a Scott Stevens or a Messier after a game, or having to 'answer' to Jumbo, I think it's obvious which scenario would make you shit your pants and which would be no big deal. Clowe isn't on the same level, but he's the closest thing the Sharks have to it. When Clowe got in a fight with Engelland vs PIT to try and spark the Sharks (Sharks were down 2-0 early), he looked over at the bench to see how the bench reacted, then the Sharks came back to tie that game, which shows the team responded. That was the moment I knew Clowe should have been the Captain on this roster.

No it's not about getting into fights. It's about showing that you give a damn every night and that losses are a big deal.

Not to derail the topic but I was surprised the Sharks didn't pick a fight in the late 2nd period or early third to get some momentum back. They just kind of stood there and took it. I don't think that it should have been a 1st line guy obviously but Brad Winchester or McGinn could have stirred something up.

I think where it does show is when the Sharks were on the PP and Florida had control of the puck, the Sharks barely pressured them at all. I would like to see them take the body on anyone who enters the zone along the boards while SH. Instead they just kind of wait for the other team to shoot or dump the puck.