• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary 'The Glove' Payton: The NBA is soft!

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar "If someone did that in my era, we would've just gotten up on him and stopped him."

Must've been what you guys were doing to wilt, huh?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other point to make here, and perhaps somebody has already, is that the 3 point line drastically impacts defensive strategy.

In Oscar's day, defenses would not have to extend nearly as far. If Steph wants to pull from 30+ feet, go right ahead. He might hit that shot between 35-40%, but if it is only worth two points, I will take my chances with allowing it. Oscar's point about defenses not extending far enough is somewhat ironic. Players in the 60s were not a threat to shoot from that deep because it was only worth 2.

They also couldn't shoot period. FG% were low and if you can find some old clips, its guys running up and down court with little to no defense missing 15 footers.

And while its true the 3 point line makes a difference for strategy, for a shooter like Steph, shooting a long two in a league without a 3 point line is still going to be a valuable weapon. That 35 to 40% number for 3 point shot is generally the league average percentage on a 3 point shot but doesn't take into account if the shot is contested or uncontested. You always hear old defensive strategies of leaving a guy open if he's shooting a long range shot because the myth is percentage wise its a harder shot. Well on uncontested shots greater than 10 feet, Curry is hitting them over 60% of the time. That's more than enough to where you absolutely have to defend him. So now its back to space. You close in on him, that opens up the defense where he can attack lanes with his handle and passing ability.

It's sort of a fun strategy "what if". Under the old rules, there was no zone defense so spreading a team out with shooting would actually be more effective. But it always seemed like everyone just assumed the closer the shot, the better and never questioned it for the longest time. How long did it take before you saw a teams really utilize shooting as a weapon to create space for others? I'm thinking maybe Bird is when it became more apparent.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true. Closer is definitely not better. An open rhythm 3 for a great shooter is every bit as good as a dunk. Heavily contested shots near the rim are bad shots for most players.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true. Closer is definitely not better. An open rhythm 3 for a great shooter is every bit as good as a dunk. Heavily contested shots near the rim are bad shots for most players.

It also seems that post up plays are losing some favor because if you have to start your move with your back to the basket, then you don't get as good of a look at the hoop, which makes it a difficult shot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar look even stupider tonight than he did on Thursday after that performance. Those guys from the 60's could not have defended Curry better than OKC most of the night. Several times Curry just drilled 3's with a hand right in his grill

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar look even stupider tonight than he did on Thursday after that performance. Those guys from the 60's could not have defended Curry better than OKC most of the night. Several times Curry just drilled 3's with a hand right in his grill

I'm sure Oscar doesn't use the internet, but if he did, I'd send him a 1000 gifs of 7 ft Steven Adams all up in Steph's grill, like 6 inches away, and Curry still shoots over him from 30 feet and the shot doesn't even grace the rim its so smooth

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Oscar doesn't use the internet, but if he did, I'd send him a 1000 gifs of 7 ft Steven Adams all up in Steph's grill, like 6 inches away, and Curry still shoots over him from 30 feet and the shot doesn't even grace the rim its so smooth

Kyle Singler, too. He was all up on Curry many times, but it didn't matter. What can you do if when a guy is not only a great shooter, but is also great at creating his own shot?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it kinda destroys the argument that if you get up on Curry, you'll stop him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would totally shut him down. These NBA guys can't play.

Seriously though. He is so quick with his release, he does not have to be square to the rim or on balance to let it fly and he is great at creating space with his ball handling wizardry. He is completely unguardable.

I did have one concern for the Warriors moving forward though. There were a lot of possessions down the stretch that started and ended with Curry. I know he was really cooking last night, but what makes them so great as a team is the ball movement. If they get away from that, they will be easier to guard and the other elite teams, (SA and OKC) just might be able to sneak up and pull an upset.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol: @Oscar still having your panties in a twist. You're gonna need a crow bar to get them out of your vagina.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it kinda destroys the argument that if you get up on Curry, you'll stop him.

Actually, it doesn't. What it shows is how hard it is to stay up on him. I mentioned in another thread: last night I remember one sequence in particular, late in the game, where Westbrook was on him as soon as he got the ball. Curry tried a move or 2 and Westbrook wasn't having it. Curry passed, the defense rotated, the ball came back to Curry and the guy who rotated was a half step slower getting to him than Westbrook had been...Curry made him pay with a 3.

Imo, a big part of what makes Curry so great is that a lot of guys would have tried to force something, especially if they were as hot as Curry was. Instead, Curry trusted the system and passed the ball knowing that he'd either get it back or someone else was going to get a good look.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @Oscar still having your panties in a twist. You're gonna need a crow bar to get them out of your vagina.

LOL I'm not the only one. Van Gundy and Jackson was all over him.

The world is just waiting for his apology

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I'm not the only one. Van Gundy and Jackson was all over him.

The world is just waiting for his apology

Nah, pretty much, it's just you waiting for his apology. Most of the rest of the world has moved on.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they were commenting on it last night, they were doing a GSW game. Everyone else has moved on...except you.

You're clearly not on twitter. Big O was getting hammered last night all across the world.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're clearly not on twitter. Big O was getting hammered last night all across the world.

I don't do that twitter crap. Never will. I have no interest in people who think the rest of the world gives a shit about whatever stupid thing they are doing or thinking.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do that twitter crap. Never will. I have no interest in people who think the rest of the world gives a shit about whatever stupid thing they are doing or thinking.

LOL I hear you. I'm only on twitter for sport related reasons. It is great if you're a sports fans and you follow not your only your team beat writers/reporters but national guys as well