• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

G5 shakeup?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like AF and CSU are staying in the MWC now

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe waiting for a better option. It's a big thing to change conferences, no reason to do so if there is a chance a better opportunity will come up not far in the future.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly believe that there is no way the Univ of Minnesota could have done something more impactful to the globe than make some stupid shoes? Wow!!

Where do I begin?! lol

I mean, slave labor made overpriced shoes? Really? I'd lol but it's not even close to funny, it's quite sad that anyone would think a school having produced a Phil Knight and using some of the money he made off the exploitation of child/slave labor to build up their football team is a good thing and something to brag about.

I could write a book with a list of a hundred things the Univ of Minnesota has done that's been more POSITIVELY impactful than Uncle Phil's shoes, and that would be just from off the top of my head, not needing to look anything up, if I did that it would probably be a two-three volume set of books?!

But just to list one, to start, one you might try to challenge, I'll say the Miracle on Ice had more of a positive impact on the globe than Oregon's Uncle Phil and Nike.
And Nike is more important to the globe. The Miracle on Ice was a great American story for sure, but I don’t recall the Gophers facing the Russians.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Nike is more important to the globe. The Miracle on Ice was a great American story for sure, but I don’t recall the Gophers facing the Russians.

That wasn’t the University of Minnesota who won the game?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe waiting for a better option. It's a big thing to change conferences, no reason to do so if there is a chance a better opportunity will come up not far in the future.
I read they were waiting for a Big XII or PAC invite. AAC was likely going to try UAB, FAU and UTSA next.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire coaching staff was the Coaching staff of the Gophers in 1979. The head coach, Herb Brooks, was both a former Gopher player and was also the Gopher hockey coach that led the 1979 Gophers to the Natl Title and he was the only person who liked the lineup he picked, which included, of the 20 players, 12 Minnesotans total and 9 current or former Gophers. Herb Brooks was the only one who knew what players were needed and what style of play was needed to beat the Russians and how to prepare them to do it and he did it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire coaching staff was the Coaching staff of the Gophers in 1979. The head coach, Herb Brooks, was both a former Gopher player and was also the Gopher hockey coach that led the 1979 Gophers to the Natl Title and he was the only person who liked the lineup he picked, which included, of the 20 players, 12 Minnesotans total and 9 current or former Gophers. Herb Brooks was the only one who knew what players were needed and what style of play was needed to beat the Russians and how to prepare them to do it and he did it.
So again, when did the Gophers play the Russians?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So again, when did the Gophers play the Russians?
I never said "the Gophers" played the Russians. I said The Miracle on Ice was more positively impactful on the world than uncle Phil's making some shoes. And it was. Then I stated how much Umners had an impact on The Miracle on Ice.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said "the Gophers" played the Russians. I said The Miracle on Ice was more positively impactful on the world than uncle Phil's making some shoes. And it was. Then I stated how much Umners had an impact on The Miracle on Ice.
Give us an invention, or a corporation, or something that a Minnesota graduate was instrumental in bringing about. Then you can more easily compare apples to apples, instead of oranges to butterflies.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was never going to happen, anyway. There's too much of a gap between those Colorado schools & the rest of the AAC. I know the American wants to keep having two schools in both Florida & Texas, but I'm not sure that happens unless they decide to go beyond 12 schools.

The AAC's best bets would be to add UTSA in Texas, UAB in Alabama, along with Liberty (Virginia) & Appalachian St. (North Carolina. UTSA has an up-and-coming program and would give them a presence in San Antonio. UAB has been arguably the best team in CUSA over the last 3 years and would give them a presence in the #1 market (Birmingham) among college football viewers. Liberty is a rapidly growing program that has been competing at a high level since moving up from FCS just a few short years ago (and has the financial resources to grow even more). Appalachian St. competes very well & has established a growing cult following since they went into the Big House & beat Michigan back when the Mountaineers were still an FCS program.

If they choose not to add one of the last two programs - or even if they do - they should also look at adding either Florida Atlantic or Florida International. Other programs that might get a look include Buffalo and/or Toledo from the MAC, and possibly Louisiana-Lafayette (Sun Belt) or Louisiana Tech (CUSA). Another idea would be to add Army as a football-only member and let them keep the Army-Navy game as a non-conference affair played after Championship Week, just as it is today.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give us an invention, or a corporation, or something that a Minnesota graduate was instrumental in bringing about. Then you can more easily compare apples to apples, instead of oranges to butterflies.

Seriously? lol This is both TOO EASY, and too hard, because there are SO MANY options to choose from. NONE of which depended upon child/slave labor to produce a frigging shoe.

UMners were THE leaders of the Civil Rights Movement.

UMner Hubert H. Humphrey, whose speech at the 1948 Dem Convention led the Democratic Party to, for the first time EVER, include Civil Rights as part of their platform. Before this they were the Pro-Slavery. Pro-Jim Crowe, Pro-Segregation, Anti-Civil Rights Party, and even after this the majority of Dems still voted against it. So when Johnson became President, he told Humphrey he'd have to work with UMner Dirksen, the Republican leader in Congress, and the two of them worked together and basically made the 1964 Civil Rights Act happen. I've got sources that say exactly that, so don't even try calling it into question. Two of the Big Six leaders of the Civil Rights Movement, were UMners, the President of the NAACP during the 60s, Roy Wilkins, was a former UMner as well as the Executive Director of the Urban League, Whitney Young,

So if you add Humphrey and Dirksen to Young and Wilkins, that's 4 of the 8-10 people most influential in the Civil Rights Movement. Yes MLK Jr was the most recognized, but UMners were the guys behind the scenes making it all happen.

If that isn't more positively impactful than some guy depending on child/slave labor to make some over priced shoes, then...?

I could list all of the ways UMn/Minnesota helped the Allies win WW2 more than any other state/school did?

I could describe how UMners have impacted the race to space/other planets?

Or how UMners have saved lots of lives with the innovations in passenger safety.

The Black Box Recorder has to have helped Aircraft designers make Airplanes more safe.

Or how UMners have saved lots of lives with all kinds of different medical innovations and inventions.

Best option might be how UMners discoveries/innovations/research has led to BILLIONS of people being fed when they otherwise may have starved to death. Names to know in this regard are Elvin C. Stakman/Norman Borlaug/Bent Skovmand. Borlaug won a Nobel Peace Prize for his role in The Green Revolution, and Skovmand is the guy behind the Doomsday Vault, and Stakman was the guy who mentored Borlaug and got him to redirect his life to plant research, being an early pioneer in the field.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So again, when did the Gophers play the Russians? You said the Gophers brought us the Miracle on Ice.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So again, when did the Gophers play the Russians? You said the Gophers brought us the Miracle on Ice.
Don't you know anything about history? The Gophers DID bring the US the Miracle on Ice.

While most of the successful hockey colleges were recruiting Canadians, the University of Minnesota recruited almost exclusively Minnesotans, thus promoting American hockey more than any other school in the nation. UMn practically MADE American hockey. Hence why no other school in the nation comes even close to having supplied as many players to the US Hockey team, and even more pronounced, is how many more Gold Medals and Silver Medals former Gophers have won than any other school. It's why when I checked, fully 1/3rd of the US Hockey Hall of Fame were former Gophers.

So UMn MADE the US Hockey program basically.

The 2 high scorers on the 1960 Gold Medal team were both former Gophers and just if not more importantly the Goalie was a former Gopher.

But the Russians had established themselves as a clear dominant team winning the Gold in 64, 68, 72 & 76, and were heavy favorites to win in 1980. Nothing the US team did up to that point had worked.

Until a crafty and brilliant former Golden Gopher hockey player turned successful college coach named Herb Brooks came along with a plan/idea that almost everyone felt was both crazy and impossible, yet he somehow convinced US Hockey to give him a chance, and part of the problem was the "who" he enlisted as players, 45% of whom were current or former Gophers.

Pt contributions

UMn = 17 goals & 14 assists.
BU = 6 goals & 7 assists.
UW = 5 goals & 6 assists. And all of those points where from the son of a former Gopher. UW hired him to coach them, that's why his son went there and not UMn.
UMD - 1 goal & 10 assists.
UND = 0 goals & 6 assists.
BG = 2 goals & 1 assist.

So UMners = 17 goals to the rest of the US team providing 14 goals.

Native Minnesotans = 18 goals and 30 assists vs 11 goals and the rest of the US team providing 13 goals & 14 assists.

48 pts > 27 pts.

The 1980 US Men's Olympic Hockey team was the youngest team the US has ever had represent the US in hockey, and it was by far the youngest team of all the teams in the 1980 olympic hockey competition.

So try to claim it was the team's youth that helped them beat the mighty Russians if you want to fool yourself, but it was ALL the doing of a former Gopher player turned coach, Herb Brooks. If not for Herb intervening and insisting on doing things his way, the Miracle on Ice would not have happened.