• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

G5 shakeup?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, and BYU are all getting called up to P5.

So my question is who replaces them in the AAC and who does CUSA get to replace the teams they lose?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Colorado State and Air Force are headed to the AAC

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were going to need to see so e research dollar stats first.....

Ha ha ha.

But since you mentioned it, the Big 12 scored big in that way getting Cincy and UCF, as Cincy has the potential to add both fb and bb strength to the conference and UCF has the size and location that gives them potential, too. Not sure about BYU and Houston? Mormon's are the 2nd fastest growing religion right now, percentage wise, so that may have been a great pick up as far as expanding the # of fans caring about Big 12 games, and any Texas school is a good pickup, and Houston is one of the better ones as they've proven they can win both regular season games and can win big bowl games.

As for research dollars? I think the B1G might be the only conference other than maybe the Pac, that seems to care about that kind of thing. Maybe because the B1G, as a whole, is bringing in ten times as much in research money as compared to money from athletics and most other conferences can't claim even close to that. I mean, Oregon for example is probably bringing in more in athletic dollars than research being as their research money intake is so small and tiny and pathetic.

And since the B1G will eventually want/need to expand, I think they should try to snag USF for sure, and maybe they can steal either GT or VT from the ACC, and if not, then maybe one of the Mass colleges? My fear is they will go after Notre Dame. I'd hate that.

Last edited:

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha ha.

But since you mentioned it, the Big 12 scored big in that way getting Cincy and UCF, as Cincy has the potential to add both fb and bb strength to the conference and UCF has the size and location that gives them potential, too. Not sure about BYU and Houston? Mormon's are the 2nd fastest growing religion right now, percentage wise, so that may have been a great pick up as far as expanding the # of fans caring about Big 12 games, and any Texas school is a good pickup, and Houston is one of the better ones as they've proven they can win both regular season games and can win big bowl games.

As for research dollars? I think the B1G might be the only conference other than maybe the Pac, that seems to care about that kind of thing. Maybe because the B1G, as a whole, is bringing in ten times as much in research money as compared to money from athletics and most other conferences can't claim even close to that. I mean, Oregon for example is probably bringing in more in athletic dollars than research being as their research money intake is so small and tiny and pathetic.

And since the B1G will eventually want/need to expand, I think they should try to snag USF for sure, and maybe they can steal either GT or VT from the ACC, and if not, then maybe one of the Mass colleges? My fear is they will go after Notre Dame. I'd hate that.

Oregon is an AAU accredited university you moron. Not every AAU accredited university has to suck at sports, that’s just Minnesota

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is an AAU accredited university you moron. Not every AAU accredited university has to suck at sports, that’s just Minnesota
I know it's an AAU accredited university, but I read an article about 2 weeks ago, it may have even been Oregon's wikipedia page, that mentioned how strange it was that Oregon was an AAU school seeing how TINY their research intake is. lol

I mean, 70-80 mil a year? The list of little nobody schools who pull in more than that is embarrassing.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Minnesota doesn't suck at sports, Mow rawn, lol. UMn regularly makes it into the Top 25 of the Sears Director's Cup. I've seen them ranked as high as #2 on several occasions after the winter sports finished up.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Minnesota doesn't suck at sports, Mow rawn, lol. UMn regularly makes it into the Top 25 of the Sears Director's Cup. I've seen them ranked as high as #2 on several occasions after the winter sports finished up.

Minnesota sucks at football and basketball. They suck at sports

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Colorado State and Air Force are headed to the AAC

Wow. That means the MWC will have to find a couple of new schools? Who do you think they will invite?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you said "sports" now 2 times. Neither time did you specify football only, so AGAIN, I will remind you, that UMn does NOT suck at "sports".

You don't finish in the Top 25 of the Sears Director's Cup if you suck at sports.

UMn Men's Hk team preseason pick to win the B1G, and ranked #4 nationally.
UMn Women's Hk team ranked #4 nationally.
UMn Women's CC team ranked #7 nationally. Oregon's CC team didn't even crack the Top 30 last I checked.
UMn Women's VB team ranked #9 nationally.

UMn's Wrestling team will undoubtedly be ranked again, in part because our Hwt is returning after winning a Gold Medal in the Olympics, as will the Women's Gymnastics team as well. Same for the Men's Gymnastics team if they still exist this year? Gopher Softball will again be in the hunt for the B1G Title. The Women's Soccer team only has 1 or 2 losses on the season so far. Women's BB? Well, our coach has always been a winner, she's the winningest player in WNBA history in fact.

Football team has the same coach and most of the same players that got them to 11-2 in 2019. They may have lost a game that the 2019 squad would have pulled out, but even that 2019 team cut it close with their easier ooc opponents. Fleck likes to run a vanilla offense in the ooc part of the schedule and it finally bit him in the ass this year, unlike 2019, but you never know, this version could pull of wins over Wisconsin and maybe even Iowa this time around? Another 11-2 season is not off the table, YET. The B1G West Division, outside of Iowa seems wide open, and Minnesota was seen as arguably a contender before the season and as arguably the #2 team in the west after week 3. Wisconsin is still in the hunt until they prove otherwise, and Purdue is as well.

Cbb? I'll give you that one. We are on year 1 with a new coach, lots of players left the program because of the coaching change, which often happens. But he's pulled in at least one or two good recruits, as far as other Minnesota fans here have told me. It will probably be a year or two, maybe 3 before we'll see how well this new coach works out for us. And like football, UMn's already done so much in bb that we're just letting all of the rest of you losers catch up some, lol.

UMn STILL ranks like 12th all-time in production of NBA players.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon sucks so bad at research and academics that the Pac won't have to worry about anyone trying to steal them away, lol. And Uncle Phil's old, so once that money source dries up, not sure how Oregon will do going forward? It's not like they have a huge and rich alumni base out there that can support them like ole uncle slave labor kingpin Phil has been doing.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati's made the most efforts and produced the best results when combining their sports and research money, and if they weren't located in the same state as a current B1G school, they'd be #1 on the list of targets for the B1G. It's too bad for them that the B1G won't want them as it wouldn't add any media footprint to the conference, and I am not sure any other conference cares about their research money? Maybe the ACC might? The Pac might, but I doubt the Pac would want a school so far east?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That means the MWC will have to find a couple of new schools? Who do you think they will invite?

I think looking towards Texas would be a good move. UTSA is a great option for them. North Texas or Texas State would be a good partner if they go that route. They could also look at Montana, North Dakota State, Montana State, etc. from the FCS.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think looking towards Texas would be a good move. UTSA is a great option for them. North Texas or Texas State would be a good partner if they go that route. They could also look at Montana, North Dakota State, Montana State, etc. from the FCS.
Yeah, I'm surprised NDSU doesn't come up more in these conversations. I suppose NoDak is one of the smallest states so it wouldn't be much of media footprint gain, but their football program is very legit. I hated it when they canceled your Ducks game with them last year. That would have been a great game.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was hoping that UTEP would get an invite but I think you are right. They would likely pick up North Texas or UTSA before UTEP.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha ha.

Why? ND would be a great addition in many respects.

and I'd rather have WVA and OSUjr. from the the big12.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? ND would be a great addition in many respects.

and I'd rather have WVA and OSUjr. from the the big12.
Do you understand what NDm's demands/requirements are? They are more than the B1G was willing to fulfill back a few years when the B1G was asking around.

And neither WVU or Okey St bring in much in research dollars. That's actually an important factor the B1G looks at.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know undergrads only go to schools because of research dollars allocated. It isn’t like Minnesota alums spend more money on the University. Oregon isn’t a top “research” school but has Nike or any crap that Minnesota has ever created impacted the globe more?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know undergrads only go to schools because of research dollars allocated. It isn’t like Minnesota alums spend more money on the University. Oregon isn’t a top “research” school but has Nike or any crap that Minnesota has ever created impacted the globe more?
You honestly believe that there is no way the Univ of Minnesota could have done something more impactful to the globe than make some stupid shoes? Wow!!

Where do I begin?! lol

I mean, slave labor made overpriced shoes? Really? I'd lol but it's not even close to funny, it's quite sad that anyone would think a school having produced a Phil Knight and using some of the money he made off the exploitation of child/slave labor to build up their football team is a good thing and something to brag about.

I could write a book with a list of a hundred things the Univ of Minnesota has done that's been more POSITIVELY impactful than Uncle Phil's shoes, and that would be just from off the top of my head, not needing to look anything up, if I did that it would probably be a two-three volume set of books?!

But just to list one, to start, one you might try to challenge, I'll say the Miracle on Ice had more of a positive impact on the globe than Oregon's Uncle Phil and Nike.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, most university students only go to get one undergrad degree, that is true, but those people are also not usually the movers or shakers in the world, as far as businesses go, just as many were started or made successful by people with no college education at all as were made by people with just one degree. It's those no degree types or the people with multiple degrees that usually have the most impact on society and truly shape the world.

So no, most undergrads don't care about research dollars, but you wouldn't be having this debate with me on the internet, using your high tech phone or laptop without all the research time and dollars and people with advanced degrees that made such luxuries a reality.

I could list just from the Univ of Minnesota multiple ways that it's affected you and your life, on a daily basis sometimes, and in possibly some huge impactful way in another time.