• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Evan Silva:

Elvis Dumervil is firmly on the Ravens' radar and they hope to meet with him next week, per a league source.

I hope he does not go there....just don't want to see that team get any benefit or impact players....

Yes it is because I am still bitter about the SB :-)

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gah I hate that move. Huge downgrade at FS. Pozz what do you think of Dahl? I don't think much of him.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope he doesn't start. He is horrible at covering and was pretty bad and not liked in St. Louis

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dahl will be a backup. I expect us to draft our next FS.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no Woodson or Reed..... Also the timeline for Revis to be traded without the Jets paying his bonus has passed. They paid him the bonus money which makes me wonder if they will figure out a way to keep him.

That bonus will have no impact on trading him IMO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumervil fired his agent.

@evansilva: RE: #Ravens interest in Elvis Dumervil. Does have experience at OLB in 3-4. Did so under Josh McDaniels in '09 and led NFL in sacks (17).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The agent is waiving the five day period allowing Elvis to hire a new one ASAP.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Dahl did his due diligence & asked the 49ers which other safeties they've brought in. Said he wouldn't be disappointed if others are signed.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mattbarrows: Dahl did his due diligence & asked the 49ers which other safeties they've brought in. Said he wouldn't be disappointed if others are signed.

good, he can accept his backup role

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: so whatever happend with......
Woodson
Asomugha
Abraham
.... :think:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaves the door open for an old guy like Woodson. He gets hurt and misses some time and Dahl can step in instead of a green weenie. Donno.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodson and Aso haven't made any other known visits and Abraham visited the Pats but left with no deal.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on NFL Network that the 3 day "tamper free" period had actually helped the GM's because it gave them an accurate picture of each player's actual market value, before teams just set the price by jumping in with an offer you couldn't refuse thinking that other teams would also be highly interested in a player.

I think that is why there have really been no blockbuster deals this Free Agency, because that 3 day window calmed everything down instead of the usual sprint out of the gates and throw cash everywhere to get your guy.

That's a slant I hadn't thought of, could be the case.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gah I hate that move. Huge downgrade at FS. Pozz what do you think of Dahl? I don't think much of him.

I've actually been around him alot having covered his college career. He's a likeable guy when it comes to talking about football. He's smart, both on the field and off when he was a student and was voted a team captain. He also was a decent/good track athlete as a jumper.

In college he played SS but was a LB/S hybrid playing in a Cover-2 scheme. He stood out most in space running downhill and chasing players side-to-side but could be handled too easy by bigger guys when asked to take them on. I don't think he ever had a great feel handling different techniques in coverage when he was asked to drop back.

He's been a pretty awful tackler since coming into the NFL but I didn't really see that too much in college. He was fairly solid and actually made quite a few big hits, some of which came on STs. Alot of people had him projected as a WLB in a 4-3 when he came out.

He suffered through two broken hands in his college career, too, one of which really hurt his play his final year. The coaches really liked him because he was smart, a hard worker, and helped take in alot of the younger guys and helped them with their transition to the team.

In high school he played QB and was a fairly dangerous runner, too, so you'll probably hear about his athleticism as the signing sinks in a little bit more. I don't think his overall athleticism translates as well to football as some others might believe though.

As I pointed out the other day, Baalke has a connection to Dahl from his time spent as an AD in ND and as an assistant with the NDSU program. It reeks strongly of a Baalke move. He's a Baalke player leadership wise and mentally but scheme wise it doesn't make complete sense to me yet.

If they were absolutely going to sign him no doubt I would have preferred a 1-year deal but we'll see what it looks like when the numbers come in. I really, really don't like it, somewhat because I had my eye on several other players who I feel are much better fits and aren't as limited as Dahl is but maybe he'll prove me wrong. God and alot of people on here know how many times I've been wrong on an acquisition before.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hope he does not go there.

Same here. Suggs & Dumervil would be an obscene pass-rush.

I'm starting to think the Niners should forget signing a CB and go after Dumervil instead just so the Broncos, Ravens & other good teams can't have him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Dumervil will make our already good CBs even better.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd like to add Dumervil too, but just can't see it happening. You have to think he'll get bigger offers and opportunities to start elsewhere. Would he start over Brooks? We just gave him a good sized deal.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: so whatever happend with......
Woodson
Asomugha
Abraham
.... :think:

It has to be that the 49ers are going after Revis, all the other CB's signed for cheap so there is a real chance at a steal and they know it! Like a bunch of folks already talked about, the niners might be looking to the draft for a safety. Abraham and Dumervil however better be coming for a visit to the bay!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Would he start over Brooks? We just gave him a good sized deal.

That depends. Brooks is a great all-around LB, but Dumervil's rare pass-rushing talents make him a more valuable commodity. I think his best fit would be to rotate in on passing downs (and spell both starters every few plays), but Brooks is good enough that he has trade vaule (despite his high salary). The Niners would have to eat 14 million of his signing bounus this year to trade Brooks (which makes it unlikely they'd do it). I'd prefer to sign Dumervil to a 2-year contract and keep 'em both. But I don't know that Dumervil would accept a 2-year contract.

Unfortunately, I don't like any of the CBs in this draft over the guys already on the team (who didn't do well in the playoffs). I still like the prospect of bringing in Adam Jones though (and moving Culliver to FS).

This is a tough call. The safe route would be to sign Abraham to a 1-year deal instead. But the Niners could hit the jackpot with Dumervil.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That depends. Brooks is a great all-around LB, but Dumervil's rare pass-rushing talents make him a more valuable commodity. I think his best fit would be to rotate in on passing downs (and spell both starters every few plays), but Brooks is good enough that he has trade vaule (despite his high salary). The Niners would have to eat 14 million of his signing bounus this year to trade Brooks (which makes it unlikely they'd do it). I'd prefer to sign Dumervil to a 2-year contract and keep 'em both. But I don't know that Dumervil would accept a 2-year contract.

Unfortunately, I don't like any of the CBs in this draft over the guys already on the team (who didn't do well in the playoffs). I still like the prospect of bringing in Adam Jones though (and moving Culliver to FS).

This is a tough call. The safe route would be to sign Abraham to a 1-year deal instead. But the Niners could hit the jackpot with Dumervil.

I don't think the hold up with Dumervil signing with the Niners will have anything to do with contract numbers...it won't get to that point because he will require that he goes to a team where he starts.

If I were him, I'd take a 1 year deal with a solid defensive team where he can start. Some place like the Falcons, Pats, Bears, Jets, Steelers. He can try to put up great numbers and then do free agency properly in 2014 when he's more likely to sign a long term big contract...he's only got a small window here where teams will still consider signing him to a long term deal.