• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not so sure about that. Part of that is by design. Mack's design. He did hire one of the boosters to be his lawyer. The guy the field is named after, Joe Jamail. UT was fractured after DKR. That tends to happen when a icon moves on. Mack made it his job to bring them together. He openly courted boosters. So there is a chicken and an egg thing going on here. Boosters always have a say, as the saying goes BS walks and money talks. Hard to say what the influence of boosters would be like with a coach like Saban. Nobody can really know, but I am guessing it would be less. At the very least it would not be in plain sight.

That would be the understatement of the year. Guys like Saban are all about the happenings on the field and they really don't care much about all the extra curriculars. I guess some of those big $ guys need their egos stroked on occasion, but I'm sure the AD or President can do that just fine.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boosters get access at every major program. There is always some private dinner going on somewhere with deep pockets invited. What do you think they talk about? The football coach and athletic director sit there and discuss goings on at their programs and talk about what needs the programs have. The boosters then write the checks. Texas just has some outspoken old farts like Joe Jamail and Red McCombs who love to talk. There are other billionaire boosters at Texas like Jim-Bob Moffett who give big money too and you don't hear shit about them. Jamail has always been a shit talker. Read about his court room antics as an attorney. McCombs is a former NFL owner so unfortunately he is going to think he knows best too.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The big knock on Mack was that he recruited well but his players failed to develop while at UT...well that and he missed badly on the last few big name QBs out of the state.

Actually, you're both right or close.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is an Ace

I love Franklin as a coach for 2 reasons:

1. He only hires guys on his staff with good looking women. Why? He wants guys who can sell and get shit done.

2. He has won 9 games in back-to-fucking-back seasons at Vanderbilt.

Give me Franklin.

Shit will get done, and he'll hire studs around him that can and will talk to recruits and talk to them in the words that they want to hear. Why? Because they can fucking sell.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown was a no-name when they hired him. Seemed to work out pretty well.

Arguably the best in College, not a better gig than HC of any NFL team. Just not the same prestige.

This was true then. But the program is vastly different now, than it was when Mack came. Vastly different.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is there are a lot of insider poster's or poster's that know inside sources at Texas here on the hoop.

I'm thankful to get the inside scooby on the behind closed doors meetings of their athletic department, BOR's and BMD's first hand.

lmao

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Franklin as a coach for 2 reasons:

1. He only hires guys on his staff with good looking women. Why? He wants guys who can sell and get shit done.

2. He has won 9 games in back-to-fucking-back seasons at Vanderbilt.

Give me Franklin.

Shit will get done, and he'll hire studs around him that can and will talk to recruits and talk to them in the words that they want to hear. Why? Because they can fucking sell.

:agree:

ToolmyDread

We Are The Boys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Frankln would be a great hire for Texas. Sucks we couldnt get im in here at Florida, but he has completely turned Vandy around.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MACK did a lot of things well in developing talent.
It is completely a douche bad move to suggest otherwise.

Mack was exceedingly strong in developing D-line and defensive backs.
Texas was sort of "defensive back U" under Mack Brown.
He also produced a ton of NFL and near NFL pass rushers over the years on the D-line.

He was able to able to develop speed receivers....and sometimes route runners here and there..
Running Backs and TEs were generally successful as well.
Kickers and Punters were routinely tops in the league.
Quarterbacking was more hit or miss with extreme highs and lows.

His biggest failing was on the offensive line and line-backing corps.
Although 2013 showed marked improvement and reason for optimism on the O-line...LB not so much..

I think Mack screwed up a bit and it hurt him in those 2 areas (OL and LB).
But overall he excelled at DB, DL, K, P, and RB especially.

geeze, the way you make it sound, Mack Daddy should have had about 4 or 5 more MNC's during his time....and OU should never have scored in the 50's and 60's as many times as they did, not to mention what UCLA did to UT, in Austin...and I'm sure I've missed a few more big losses....

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack never had one SCHEME he ran. That's part of the core problem.

WHAT does Texas do well, on either side of the ball? What are Mack Brown teams known for doing? EXACTLY - you can't say anything outside of lose with talent.

There was never an identity outside of the one imposed on the team by individual players like VY and Colt. They WILLED those teams to wins, but you can't say Mack's coaching did.

If Mack doesn't have top flight assistants, he can't win.

?

Agreed.: Like I've been saying since 2001: Mack is the "9-win" coach or the "George Strait" system: Be 80% good 100% of the time.

Get lots of talent from recruiting and put them in bland, generic, toned-down schemes so that big mistakes don't happen... and just hope that you 'get lucky,' 'someone steps up [VY],' or 'your talent outlasts your opponent [Colt McCoy's billion 4th quarter comebacks].'

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MACK did a lot of things well in developing talent.
It is completely a douche bad move to suggest otherwise.

Mack was exceedingly strong in developing ... defensive backs.
y.

Errrrr, IMO, Akina is the best position coach in CFB. I'm not ready to give Mack any credit for Texas/DBU

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If James Franklin is not hired by Texas, and remains at Vanderbilt for the time being, then eventually if Bill O'Brien leaves Penn State for the NFL, I would not be surprised to see PSU target Pennsylvania native, Franklin as the replacement for BOB.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on Franklin. As Maryland OC, had offenses that ranked between 60 and 107 in his 3 years there. 16 of the 38 games he was OC, they scored 17 or fewer points (42% of the games), including 5 in single digits (13% of the games).

In 2 seasons at Vandy, he is 1-8 vs ranked teams, has a 3-17 record against AQ teams that ended the season with a winning record, has a 1-13 record against AQ teams that ended the season with less than 6 losses, and lost to aggy and mizzou by a combined 55 points this year.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack resigned after a 8-4 record. No way do they hire Franklin who just had a 8-4 regular season record.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack resigned after a 8-4 record. No way do they hire Franklin who just had a 8-4 regular season record.
-
that is not really an apt comparison. Winning 8 at Vanderbilt has been considered a great yr historically. Winning 8 at Texas has not. You have to be objective when looking at programs/

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the definition of missing badly? They staked the future of their program on Gilbert, who flopped.

But how do you miss bad when the kid won back to back state championships in the state of Texas, is the all time leading passer in Texas high school football history and almost beats Bama in the BCS title game? Even after the 2010 season it was tough to evaluate GG simply b/c the entire team was bad. Fact of the matter is, Aggy got extremely lucky with Manziel, b/c nobody wanted him and Briles was the only coach out there who saw RGIII as a starting QB. Mack has actually had a good track record recruiting QB's: Vince Young, and Colt McCoy for instance......