• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, UT can hire a big name coach with NCG experience. Realistically, those guys aren't available. Ohio State lucked into Urban Meyer being available. Right now, there aren't any Meyers just waiting in the wings. The best candidates that I can think of for UT right now...at least from the CFB ranks are Shaw, Strong, and Franklin. Its not like these guys are no-names, especially Shaw and Strong.

You're saying it better than me.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...which high-profile school/coach will these boosters cut a check for? Because you just got through saying "we're probably going to have to settle."

Sounds a tad contradictory: "Every coach in the nation should cream their pants to coach at Texas, where we can afford to buyout the best of the best in the country...but, we're probably going to have to settle for some lesser-known guy."

You are missing it.

I'm saying a buyout is not something any decision maker at Texas cares about, because it won't be an issue. Getting someone to say yes when they are in a good situation is another discussion altogether.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing it.

I'm saying a buyout is not something any decision maker at Texas cares about, because it won't be an issue. Getting someone to say yes when they are in a good situation is another discussion altogether.

I get ya now.

So, change "huge buyout" to "guy who's a great coach but in a good situation." I think we're both in agreement that they're in a tight spot and they might just be hiring a caretaker coach until the next great guy is available at the right time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...which high-profile school/coach will these boosters cut a check for? Because you just got through saying "we're probably going to have to settle."

Sounds a tad contradictory: "Every coach in the nation should cream their pants to coach at Texas, where we can afford to buyout the best of the best in the country...but, we're probably going to have to settle for some lesser-known guy."
-
Lot of contradictions. First off Texas needs an experienced big name guy to run the program. At the same time saying there are maybe 2-3 other jobs that can offer the advantages that TExas can. You would think a program stocked with advantages would be the perfect place for a young talented guy. I am waiting to here the list, but unlike many fans I would be happy to hear people like Anderson (Wisconsin), Narduzzi, and Gundy (not quite the unknown) get consideration, hell even Campbell. To me that means Texas is doign a real search for the best coach, not just perusing Bleacher Report for names.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is there are a lot of insider poster's or poster's that know inside sources at Texas here on the hoop.

I'm thankful to get the inside scooby on the behind closed doors meetings of their athletic department, BOR's and BMD's first hand.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas wants to hit a home run I would do the following:

1. Hire James Franklin as head coach.
2. Chad Morris of Clemson as OC.
3. Ed Orgeron as DC.
4. Travaris Robinson of Florida as Recruiting Coordinator.

That is assuming the chemistry was good between all of them but I don't think that would be an issue and would be a recruiting juggernaut. I know you Texas guys are convinced that you will get recruits no matter what but remember Nick Saban doesn't win because of his superior coaching ability he beats you because his 22 are better than your 22 in most cases.

Now if you are willing to take a hit in the credibility department hire Bobby Petrino and best guess is you will at least play for a national championship within 3 years. Tough pill to swallow though so I wouldn't order my orange BMFP shirts just yet.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The big knock on Mack was that he recruited well but his players failed to develop while at UT...well that and he missed badly on the last few big name QBs out of the state.

Actually, no he didn't. He landed the all time leading passer in Texas High School football history and National Gatorade Player of the Year and #2 overall QB recruit in the nation in Garrett Gilbert, who was more highly recruited out of high school than Manziel and RGIII combined and was a better prospect than Andrew Luck and ranked higher than Luck coming out of high school. Oregon recruited JF to be a backup and JF was actually an ass hair away from signing with UTSA. Briles is the only coach in America who wanted RGIII to play QB. Everybody else wanted RGIII to play safety, hence the reason why RGIII followed Briles to Baylor after Briles left UofH. Nobody expected GG to bust out so bad; McCoy and Ash were brought in to backup GG. Also, keep in mind Mack also landed top QB recruits in Connor Brewer and Connor Wood, who both transferred when they couldn't beat out Ash.

His players developed well at UT from 2000-2009, but then Mack got lazy, satisfied and complacent, which he has said several times after the debacle that was the 2010 season.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas wants to hit a home run I would do the following:

1. Hire James Franklin as head coach.
2. Chad Morris of Clemson as OC.
3. Ed Orgeron as DC.
4. Travaris Robinson of Florida as Recruiting Coordinator.

That is assuming the chemistry was good between all of them but I don't think that would be an issue and would be a recruiting juggernaut. I know you Texas guys are convinced that you will get recruits no matter what but remember Nick Saban doesn't win because of his superior coaching ability he beats you because his 22 are better than your 22 in most cases.

Now if you are willing to take a hit in the credibility department hire Bobby Petrino and best guess is you will at least play for a national championship within 3 years. Tough pill to swallow though so I wouldn't order my orange BMFP shirts just yet.

Nah, supergroups don't work out. Just ask Blind Faith.

Petrino is probably the absolute best in terms of getting results within a short time period. Cause he's dirty as hell.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not even CLOSE to the same.

Texas at that time wasn't the money machine it is now. It wasn't considered the best job in coaching. There was no huge contracts on the line, there was no LHN, there was no national interest like now. Hell there was barely a Big 12 then.

The politics and money have changed dramatically since then. I shouldn't have to explain this.

The Texas job is about SOOOO much more than just coaching. As a tOSU fan, this should be obvious to you.

And where is this?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, no he didn't. He landed the all time leading passer in Texas High School football history and National Gatorade Player of the Year and #2 overall QB recruit in the nation in Garrett Gilbert, who was more highly recruited out of high school than Manziel and RGIII combined and was a better prospect than Andrew Luck and ranked higher than Luck coming out of high school. Oregon recruited JF to be a backup and JF was actually an ass hair away from signing with UTSA. Briles is the only coach in America who wanted RGIII to play QB. Everybody else wanted RGIII to play safety, hence the reason why RGIII followed Briles to Baylor after Briles left UofH. Nobody expected GG to bust out so bad; McCoy and Ash were brought in to backup GG. Also, keep in mind Mack also landed top QB recruits in Connor Brewer and Connor Wood, who both transferred when they couldn't beat out Ash.

His players developed well at UT from 2000-2009, but then Mack got lazy, satisfied and complacent, which he has said several times after the debacle that was the 2010 season.

Isn't that the definition of missing badly? They staked the future of their program on Gilbert, who flopped.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not even CLOSE to the same.

Texas at that time wasn't the money machine it is now. It wasn't considered the best job in coaching. There was no huge contracts on the line, there was no LHN, there was no national interest like now. Hell there was barely a Big 12 then.

The politics and money have changed dramatically since then. I shouldn't have to explain this.

The Texas job is about SOOOO much more than just coaching. As a tOSU fan, this should be obvious to you.
--------
You're right it wasn't the money making machine it is now. And I think that is one of the reasons you won't get a splashy big name coach. The pressure to win keep the money rolling in, plus gett the LHN iinto a huge financial plus is just too much BS to put up with no matter how much money certain coaches are going to be offered. With that much pressure, the wins have to be their NOW--no time to recruit for your style of coaching. No time to allow for coaching chemistry.

Many have said here that muxh of the problem was in recruiting the wrong people. Give Bwoen some credit. The biggest problem IMO was the lack of chemistry amongst the assistant coaches. When you're throwing around the money that alot of his assistants got/get, it ended up being everyman for himself.

Politics and money are what have hamprered programs like Notre Dame & Auburn for decades. The smart coaches are the ones that will politely turn down Texas. I'm not suggesting that you'll end up with a stupid coach just one that thinks he can handle the politics and money as well as coaching a team. I'm sure all great teams have poitics and money issues, but most schools have athletic directors that keep those two issues reasonably away from their coaches. If the new AD at Texas cannot do that for whomever you're trying to get for a coach, you won't be getting the splashy hire and you may up ending having another Fred Akers (or worse).

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--------
You're right it wasn't the money making machine it is now. And I think that is one of the reasons you won't get a splashy big name coach. The pressure to win keep the money rolling in, plus gett the LHN iinto a huge financial plus is just too much BS to put up with no matter how much money certain coaches are going to be offered. With that much pressure, the wins have to be their NOW--no time to recruit for your style of coaching. No time to allow for coaching chemistry.

Many have said here that muxh of the problem was in recruiting the wrong people. Give Bwoen some credit. The biggest problem IMO was the lack of chemistry amongst the assistant coaches. When you're throwing around the money that alot of his assistants got/get, it ended up being everyman for himself.

Politics and money are what have hamprered programs like Notre Dame & Auburn for decades. The smart coaches are the ones that will politely turn down Texas. I'm not suggesting that you'll end up with a stupid coach just one that thinks he can handle the politics and money as well as coaching a team. I'm sure all great teams have poitics and money issues, but most schools have athletic directors that keep those two issues reasonably away from their coaches. If the new AD at Texas cannot do that for whomever you're trying to get for a coach, you won't be getting the splashy hire and you may up ending having another Fred Akers (or worse).

I can agree with SOME of this......but I think you're a little off base.

Texas isn't likely to fire a coach that isn't winning NOW.....they'll give a guy time to build his roster and staff.

And as far as everything else goes - this is partly WHY you need a big name coach that knows how to navigate these waters. A young guy with no experience running the Deathstar won't cut it......he may be flying the Millenium Falcon right now, but Texas needs to blow up Alderaan......they need someone that can run this fully operational battle station.

OK, got a little lost there in my own metaphor, but I think you guys get it. Money and politics are part of this job. You have to hire a guy that WANTS to deal with that, along with the fame that comes with it.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas isn't likely to fire a coach that isn't winning NOW.....they'll give a guy time to build his roster and staff.

And as far as everything else goes - this is partly WHY you need a big name coach that knows how to navigate these waters. A young guy with no experience running the Deathstar won't cut it......he may be flying the Millenium Falcon right now, but Texas needs to blow up Alderaan......they need someone that can run this fully operational battle station.

OK, got a little lost there in my own metaphor, but I think you guys get it. Money and politics are part of this job. You have to hire a guy that WANTS to deal with that, along with the fame that comes with it.

No doubt that this is true, and probably more true at UT than many places in the country. But, shouldn't this fall more to the AD's plate than the head football coach? I'd imagine that Saban and Meyer also have to deal with their big donors quite a bit, but it seems like at UT, those big $$ donors have far too much access to the head coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
I think this is overblown. You have massive politics at every major university. Saban would have been out at Bama long ago, but 3 titles means you dont need to bother yourself with politics. Win at Texas and you don thave to kiss babies. I think it is pretty simple. LHN is an under developed asset. Any hungry caoch would love it. You have your own network, where you can mold the message. Even Saban would have loved it. Sit down and talk with a guy who you provided the questions.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Longhorn fans are over thinking it.
Just go get a guy who is going to win a lot of football games.
Everything else will fall into place.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Longhorn fans are over thinking it.
Just go get a guy who is going to win a lot of football games.
Everything else will fall into place.

I would agree with this.

Apparently, some people are more concerned about landing a big fish. It'll be an interesting offseason until they do find a replacement tho.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--------

Hey now, ol Freddy Akers played for 2 NC's in '77 and '83 and finished #2 in '81. Not bad in 9 years of coaching.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that this is true, and probably more true at UT than many places in the country. But, shouldn't this fall more to the AD's plate than the head football coach? I'd imagine that Saban and Meyer also have to deal with their big donors quite a bit, but it seems like at UT, those big $$ donors have far too much access to the head coach.

Perhaps, since there are 4-6 boosters who pay Mack's salary. Do the states of OH and AL pay for Meyer's and Saban's salary, or are they self supporting auxiliaries as well? If Saban or Meyer were having seasons like Mack has had the past 4 seasons, believe me, the big money donors would be up in their asses too. All it takes is for one big time money donor to say, "If your coach continues to lose 4-5 games a year, I'm not giving anymore money and I'll get the others to stop as well"......

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, since there are 4-6 boosters who pay Mack's salary. Do the states of OH and AL pay for Meyer's and Saban's salary, or are they self supporting auxiliaries as well? If Saban or Meyer were having seasons like Mack has had the past 4 seasons, believe me, the big money donors would be up in their asses too. All it takes is for one big time money donor to say, "If your coach continues to lose 4-5 games a year, I'm not giving anymore money and I'll get the others to stop as well"......

There is no doubt that losing will rustle everyone's jimmies. Cooper got ousted for not being able to beat Michigan and for the team flopping in bowl games. He won just about every other game they played.

Just seems to me that the big money guys at UT have more say than the same guys at other places, but that might be due to my proximity to the school and the fact that they are the most recent program to be going through this.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that losing will rustle everyone's jimmies. Cooper got ousted for not being able to beat Michigan and for the team flopping in bowl games. He won just about every other game they played.

Just seems to me that the big money guys at UT have more say than the same guys at other places, but that might be due to my proximity to the school and the fact that they are the most recent program to be going through this.
-
I am not so sure about that. Part of that is by design. Mack's design. He did hire one of the boosters to be his lawyer. The guy the field is named after, Joe Jamail. UT was fractured after DKR. That tends to happen when a icon moves on. Mack made it his job to bring them together. He openly courted boosters. So there is a chicken and an egg thing going on here. Boosters always have a say, as the saying goes BS walks and money talks. Hard to say what the influence of boosters would be like with a coach like Saban. Nobody can really know, but I am guessing it would be less. At the very least it would not be in plain sight.