• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack never had one SCHEME he ran. That's part of the core problem.

WHAT does Texas do well, on either side of the ball? What are Mack Brown teams known for doing? EXACTLY - you can't say anything outside of lose with talent.

There was never an identity outside of the one imposed on the team by individual players like VY and Colt. They WILLED those teams to wins, but you can't say Mack's coaching did.

If Mack doesn't have top flight assistants, he can't win.

Franklin isn't a bad coach, but I don't think he's the splash they're looking for at HC. IMO, NONE of the current "candidates" are guys that I think fit.

These are the names I've seen outside of Franklin:

Harbaugh - I think at some point he's Michigan bound
Miles - LMAO no chance in hell
Sweeney - not a fit
Strong - possible, not super excited over him
Mora - a guy that's really more of an NFL coach
Shaw - NOT leaving Stanford
Briles - NO....and probably headed to the NFL
Patterson - possible, but not a big splash hire
Tomlin - REALLY???

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have a good coach than a "splash candidate." Why exactly does UT need a head turning name?? The position and program recruit attention by themselves. IMO, you're better off getting a lesser known name that is hungry to make a name for himself than someone who is already a big name.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While apparently "thinking is not a strong suit" of an SEC fan:L, I will offer an opinion.

I think Franklin could be a good choice. He does seem to have some good defenses at Vandy and his offenses seem to be all over the place. Being he is an ex OC, this could spell trouble except its my feelings that its harder to get Offensive players that are good and have the grades to get into a Vandy style school. This leaves him with picking middle to bottom of the barrel skill type players for his key offensive positions and why his offense seems to be disjointed at times.

Its not as hard to find bodies on the defensive side of the ball that can block and stop the run. Notice he does have some decent(not great) defenses and can usually keep them in the games for a while with his defenses. I think he can recruit well and its known he is tireless(like Saban) in his efforts to lure a Recruit or keep his players motivated. He is also very well respected among his peers, which helps with getting top assistants and coordinators. Given a chance at Texas, i feel he would do a very good job and could be a long term answer to your problems.
-------
And while this isn't coming from an SEC fan, one can see certain similarities as to how Franklin turned Vandy around similar to how Brown turned NC around--Biggest difference, it didn't take Frankin as much time in turning Vandy around.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin does more with less at Vanderbilt, so most people would think, "He could dominate at a good program that gets solid recruits!" But honestly, I don't know that he's the right guy to recruit the top Texas kids away from Oklahoma, A&M, and now Baylor.

I think he functions better as a big fish in a little pond. But, he would certainly be a fan favorite and he's good for a quip.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have a good coach than a "splash candidate." Why exactly does UT need a head turning name?? The position and program recruit attention by themselves. IMO, you're better off getting a lesser known name that is hungry to make a name for himself than someone who is already a big name.

Trust - this is how the higher ups think at Texas. They need a big name to take this job. I'm in Atlanta right now, and even HERE they think Texas is the best coaching job in football, college or pro - this coming from their sports radio here. If you are the AD/BMD at Texas, and you believe this, would you realistically hire a no name, but solid coach here?

It's sad, but that's the way it is. You don't hand the keys to a Ferrari to your teenage son who just got his drivers permit. Not saying I agree with it, but that's what's going down. They may SETTLE for that no name coach.....but that's not who they're going to pursue.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust - this is how the higher ups think at Texas. They need a big name to take this job. I'm in Atlanta right now, and even HERE they think Texas is the best coaching job in football, college or pro - this coming from their sports radio here. If you are the AD/BMD at Texas, and you believe this, would you realistically hire a no name, but solid coach here?

It's sad, but that's the way it is. You don't hand the keys to a Ferrari to your teenage son who just got his drivers permit. Not saying I agree with it, but that's what's going down. They may SETTLE for that no name coach.....but that's not who they're going to pursue.

Mack Brown was a no-name when they hired him. Seemed to work out pretty well.

Arguably the best in College, not a better gig than HC of any NFL team. Just not the same prestige.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boy, are they ever.

Who could they pry loose without having to pay off a montrous buyout? Most of the desirable candidates are locked up long term.

And was the Mack Brown hiring 17 years ago all that "splashy?" I sure didn't think so at the time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
Sadly, I agree. My biggest fear is someone like Dabo or Miles. I would be extremely happy with a bunch of names that will never even get consideration.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown was a no-name when they hired him. Seemed to work out pretty well.

Arguably the best in College, not a better gig than HC of any NFL team. Just not the same prestige.

He wasn't their first choice. The SETTLED for Brown. Sooner or later you guys will figure this out.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't their first choice. The SETTLED for Brown. Sooner or later you guys will figure this out.

And he was the best hire they have had since Darrell Royal. You'd think they would have learned something from that.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, are they ever.

Who could they pry loose without having to pay off a montrous buyout? Most of the desirable candidates are locked up long term.

And was the Mack Brown hiring 17 years ago all that "splashy?" I sure didn't think so at the time.

Nothing you just posted means anything. Buyouts are NOTHING to Texas. They have multiple billionaire boosters that will simply cut a check.

And the Brown hiring was at a time when Texas was at a very low point. It wasn't the money making machine it is now. Totally different job.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he was the best hire they have had since Darrell Royal. You'd think they would have learned something from that.

Totally different job then than what it is now. Apples and oranges.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally different job then than what it is now. Apples and oranges.

How? Its actually very much the same, you have a huge name program that is underachieving.

1/2 the reason UT is such a desired position right now is thanks to Mack Brown.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? Its actually very much the same, you have a huge name program that is underachieving.

1/2 the reason UT is such a desired position right now is thanks to Mack Brown.

No, it's not even CLOSE to the same.

Texas at that time wasn't the money machine it is now. It wasn't considered the best job in coaching. There was no huge contracts on the line, there was no LHN, there was no national interest like now. Hell there was barely a Big 12 then.

The politics and money have changed dramatically since then. I shouldn't have to explain this.

The Texas job is about SOOOO much more than just coaching. As a tOSU fan, this should be obvious to you.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas at that time wasn't the money machine it is now. It wasn't considered the best job in coaching. There was no huge contracts on the line, there was no LHN, there was no national interest like now. Hell there was barely a Big 12 then.

The politics and money have changed dramatically since then. I shouldn't have to explain this.

The Texas job is about SOOOO much more than just coaching. As a tOSU fan, this should be obvious to you.

So you guys will be looking for a football CEO like Mack was, but will make better assistant coaching choices.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only thing I see different is the $$ involved to be honest. Texas was a prime job back then and that hasn't changed, but its not like the job entails anything significantly different than the head job at any other big name program in the nation.

Ideally, UT can hire a big name coach with NCG experience. Realistically, those guys aren't available. Ohio State lucked into Urban Meyer being available. Right now, there aren't any Meyers just waiting in the wings. The best candidates that I can think of for UT right now...at least from the CFB ranks are Shaw, Strong, and Franklin. Its not like these guys are no-names, especially Shaw and Strong.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MACK did a lot of things well in developing talent.
It is completely a douche bad move to suggest otherwise.

Mack was exceedingly strong in developing D-line and defensive backs.
Texas was sort of "defensive back U" under Mack Brown.
He also produced a ton of NFL and near NFL pass rushers over the years on the D-line.

He was able to able to develop speed receivers....and sometimes route runners here and there..
Running Backs and TEs were generally successful as well.
Kickers and Punters were routinely tops in the league.
Quarterbacking was more hit or miss with extreme highs and lows.

His biggest failing was on the offensive line and line-backing corps.
Although 2013 showed marked improvement and reason for optimism on the O-line...LB not so much..

I think Mack screwed up a bit and it hurt him in those 2 areas (OL and LB).
But overall he excelled at DB, DL, K, P, and RB especially.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing you just posted means anything. Buyouts are NOTHING to Texas. They have multiple billionaire boosters that will simply cut a check.

And the Brown hiring was at a time when Texas was at a very low point. It wasn't the money making machine it is now. Totally different job.

So...which high-profile school/coach will these boosters cut a check for? Because you just got through saying "we're probably going to have to settle."

Sounds a tad contradictory: "Every coach in the nation should cream their pants to coach at Texas, where we can afford to buyout the best of the best in the country...but, we're probably going to have to settle for some lesser-known guy."

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I see different is the $$ involved to be honest. Texas was a prime job back then and that hasn't changed, but its not like the job entails anything significantly different than the head job at any other big name program in the nation.

Ideally, UT can hire a big name coach with NCG experience. Realistically, those guys aren't available. Ohio State lucked into Urban Meyer being available. Right now, there aren't any Meyers just waiting in the wings. The best candidates that I can think of for UT right now...at least from the CFB ranks are Shaw, Strong, and Franklin. Its not like these guys are no-names, especially Shaw and Strong.

Shaw isn't leaving Stanford.
Franklin is questionable.
Strong would be a guy they'd settle for.

The "splash" hire would probably be a guy like Chip Kelly, which isn't happening either.