• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida AD Says They Would Schedule UCF "In The Right Situation"

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? What years?
2012 they went 12-0
2013 they went 12-0 and lost in the CCG to Michigan State.

2014 they finished the season winning 13 straight
2015 they were 10-0 before they lost to Michigan State the second to last week of the regular season.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF has won 23 straight games. That's pretty special. When was the last time that happened?
Alabama also did it in 2015 and 2016.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really any pretense at a G5 school that players think they have a shot at the CFP??

Honestly....

Split dont split, we'll see. If they do split do they gain media money lose media money or stay the same, does it affect P5 scheduling the G5 teams? similar to conferences ruling FCS out (for the most part)

DO what they want in my opinion as long as it doesnt fuck up recruiting or money for my school :D

Everything stays the same except for a few things.

G5 has their own playoff or bowl season and their own tv contracts.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 they went 12-0
2013 they went 12-0 and lost in the CCG to Michigan State.

2014 they finished the season winning 13 straight
2015 they were 10-0 before they lost to Michigan State the second to last week of the regular season.

That's pretty special don't you think?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well they already negotiate their own tv deals.... but they are not going to overtake P5 games lol

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would decrease the financial payout to G5 schools, not increase it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really any pretense at a G5 school that players think they have a shot at the CFP??

Honestly....

Split dont split, we'll see. If they do split do they gain media money lose media money or stay the same, does it affect P5 scheduling the G5 teams? similar to conferences ruling FCS out (for the most part)

DO what they want in my opinion as long as it doesnt fuck up recruiting or money for my school :D
I'd love to see the split. Just too large a talent and money gap IMHO.

From what I've gathered, the lower level P5 schools do not want a split and are willing to keep "upping the ante" CFP payout to G5s in order to prevent such. Don't know/understand all the thinking but that is what was stated during some conversations earlier. @WizardHawk, is this more or less correct?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF has won 23 straight games. That's pretty special. When was the last time that happened?

All twelve teams on their current schedule where unranked and are a combined 1-20 versus ranked opponents, the 1 win was in OT...they are a combined 11-13 versus P5 teams....sounds real special.

Alabama is currently on an 81 game winning streak over unranked opponents...that's special.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's great. Make them separate leagues. Let the G5 have their own playoff system or their own bowl affiliations.

I'm just sick of college football pretending that everyone has a shot at the title when we all know only a hand full of schools actually do.

There isn't any money for that. Look at the television revenue of P5 leagues vs G5 leagues. If the G5 leagues could separate and actually make money they would have done it years ago.

Take the Big 10 vs the MAC...The new MAC TV deal works out to...$670,000 per MAC team per year. The Big Ten deal is $51 million per year per team. MACtion is great...on a Tuesday...against reruns of Jeopardy. BTW...the MAC deal is the best current G5 deal.

The G5 exists in a parasitic relationship to the P5...there is no demand for a G5 playoff. IF the G5 were interested in playing for championships, most of them would still be FCS teams.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was so easy, why hasn't another G5 school don it?

They haven't been able to avoid playing a complete schedule of unranked opponents in the other year.

2008 Utah 13-0 wins over #24, #11, #14, and #4
2009 Utah 10-3 losses to #11, #4, #18

2009 Boise State 14-0, wins over #14 and #3
2010 Boise State 13-1, wins over #13 and #23, loss to #19

2009 TCU 13-1 wins over #12 and #18 loss to #6
2010 TCU 14-0 wins over #24, #6 and #4

VS

2017 UCF 13-0 wins over #22, #16 and #7
2018 UCF 12-0 wins over # nobody

See the difference.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see the split. Just too large a talent and money gap IMHO.

From what I've gathered, the lower level P5 schools do not want a split and are willing to keep "upping the ante" CFP payout to G5s in order to prevent such. Don't know/understand all the thinking but that is what was stated during some conversations earlier. @WizardHawk, is this more or less correct?
I don't think it's as simple as that. The CFP Administration LLC is a corporation itself. It is governed by all 10 conferences plus ND. There is one President (or chancellor) from each of the 10 conferences plus ND's president presiding over it, and all 10 commissioners are the board that runs the daily operation. So half the voices in the room represent the G5's. It isn't a case of the mighty P5's tossing crumbs and imposing their will. That structure was baked into the initial compromise.

There was a lot of criticism over how the BCS was ran and the imbalance of equity. There was pressure from the networks and every other angle to make changes. The 'and one' format and creation of the CFP was a compromise that attempted to make everyone at least bitch less, if not happy.

There are quite a few reasons the G5's are still in this deal and didn't ditch it. They get quite a bit of money for literally every team, whether they have done anything to earn it or not. The existing bowl season gives pretty solid national TV exposure and travel for their fans. The current contract also guarantees the highest ranking G5 team at least a NY6 bowl (cotton, peach, or fiesta).

But, back up a minute here. The only reason the BCS gave money directly to the G5's to begin with was due to the threat of antitrust lawsuits. It was a shotgun wedding that seeded this. And the threat they might go their own way helped get them a bigger deal and seat at the table in the CFP management.

We all know what both sides get and what they keep threatening each other over. It amounts to both using leverage to get something they want. The P5's want patsies that count the same as their division rivals, the ability to pad extra home games to make shit loads more money with some teams having 8 fucking home games a year and those skewed stats that give mid tier P5's those free wins to reach .500 (wink wink). They don't want to go all P5's playing only P5's and lower tier P5's want bowl opponents they have a chance at beating.

There has been talk about splitting off on both sides, but the money is too good for the G5's to pass on (including those big paydays in regular season games visiting P5's) and those bowl deals.

I still think the big thing keeping the G5's at the table is holding out that the playoffs will expand at the next contract window and give them a guaranteed spot.

As you well know, I'm in favor of the split personally and I don't think it HAS to mean the end of playing each other like both sides seem to indicate publicly (likely just posturing). Let the G5's go do their own post season, drop the number of bowls. No more FCS games at all and no more than 2 G5's. Hell, drop it to no more than one. I think it would be good for both sides, although the networks are likely the big winners in such a change and the lower G5's likely lose money on the deal.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they already negotiate their own tv deals.... but they are not going to overtake P5 games lol

Of course they won't and they shouldn't. I'm not asking for G5 to overtake P5. I'm just saying it would be nice if NCAA just made it an official separation of leagues rather than a de facto one.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they won't and they shouldn't. I'm not asking for G5 to overtake P5. I'm just saying it would be nice if NCAA just made it an official separation of leagues rather than a de facto one.
the g5's dont want this though......

Listen, if they were to split off they would be exactly where they are now, except with no one to bitch about holding them down/back.

the big bad P5 are the reason they bla bla bla. That is all it is.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't a g5 playoff mean more games where money could be made?
You would eliminate all the bowl games where they play a G5 team and then you take away the money that they make from the current playoffs because why should the P5 share money with the G5 when they have their own playoffs? @TheDayMan or @WizardHawk i believe knows better how much would be forfeited.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would eliminate all the bowl games where they play a G5 team and then you take away the money that they make from the current playoffs because why should the P5 share money with the G5 when they have their own playoffs? @TheDayMan or @WizardHawk i believe knows better how much would be forfeited.
Being in different "divisions" would also mean no bowl games against G5's would the bowls even want them? way less money for the G5 Division