• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fister to Nats

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwin Escobar would probably highlight the package Giants would send back.

If there were discussions, Sabes probably valued Escobar for 6 years and Volgey for this year higher than Fister for 2 years.

He would have been a great add to the rotation though, very dependable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based off what the Nats got, we may have been able to keep Escobar

That's what I am thinking. I am thinking Hembree, Arias and Hall/Law/Bochy. Detroit got a so-so util guy and two young, high-ceiling bullies. We coud have given an elite util and 2 high-ceiling bullies.

Oh well. We do not know what conversatios happened/didn't happen. Fister is not a Giant. Period.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but if the fans here wear panda hats for Sandoval, what would they have done for a guy named Fister?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but if the fans here wear panda hats for Sandoval, what would they have done for a guy named Fister?

It is San Francisco. It could get, ehem, interesting...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers traded Doug Fister, who pitches like a boss after getting in the head by line drives, for a package of prospects I wouldn't want for Tim Hudson at this very second.

The question everyone has after a trade like this is, "Why couldn't (my team) beat that offer?" It's a question that presumes all 30 GMs live in a big house, and every happy hour, they all take a break from playing grabass by the pool and loudly discuss trades together at the long, long dining-room table.

That's not how it happens. I mean, it does in my screenplay, but not in real life. Here's what I assume happens:

Tigers announce they'll trade a starting pitcher
Giants inquire about Rick Porcello, Doug Fister, et al
Tigers rattle off names of prospects Giants aren't excited about losing
Giants say, "Okay, let's see about spending money instead" and ignore the Tigers for the moment
Let's just say the Giants inquired about Fister one month ago. The Tigers asked for Kyle Crick. The Giants, realizing they can pay Tim Hudson about the same amount of clams and keep Crick, don't aggressively go after Fister.

Meanwhile, the Nationals, not willing to pay those clams for any starter, keep poking, keep prodding. Keep poking, keep prodding. They figure out that Dave Dombrowski has a real hankerin' for Robbie Ray. They wait it out. They succeed in a total eyes-wooling.

If the Giants did the same poking and prodding, they would have been scared they'd lose out on the Tim Hudsons of the open market. They're scared they'll end up with a Paul Maholm or Joe Saunders instead of Hudson, or that they'll have to trade Crick, Escobar, or Mejia after all, possibly for a lesser pitcher.

I'll bet you the Rays start every conversation about David Price with Brandon Belt, and they get more aggressive after that. I'll also bet you that doesn't sound so bad in February when Maholm is staring at you and waving.

We have no idea what the Giants would have really given up if the Tigers came back to them and said, "Beat this deal from the Nationals, and Fister's yours." But we can guess.

I wish the Giants could have beaten the Nationals' offer. But I'm not sure if they knew just how cheap Fister would have come, and I'm not sure if they thought they had the time to figure it out.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree Tzill, everyone is going to be down on Sabean, but 28 other GMs are probably being yelled at by their fan base. I would have loved to see Fister round out the rotation, but I'm still holding out hope that the Vogey signing means an upgrade in LF, we'll see. If they settle for a Blanco platoon I could have accepted that if we upgraded the rotation with Hudson and a Fister type.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe me, I totally get the 8-layers to the story issue. The reason I am bringing it up on THIS deal is because the package that was sent is very similar to the extra pieces that we have in our system that could be scrounged together.

also, Fister is only making 6M while we signed Vogey for 5M. That savings is not enough to make a dent in any deal we make for a LF. However, if we end up making a trade for a OF that includes some of the names thrown around here (Hembree, Law, Hall, Bochy, etc), than the story will make more sense.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand and appreciate all of the speculation surrounding this trade I'm stuill left with the question: Was this the BEST offer that the Tioggers received? If our GM was to indicate that MadBum was available I would expect that we would receive a shit load of offers and many of them would be negotiable 'upwards' as things became serious. I just think (more like guess) that the Tigger's must have had quite a few offers for Fister. I just find it hard to believe that this was the best of the lot, especially with SP at such a premium..

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand and appreciate all of the speculation surrounding this trade I'm stuill left with the question: Was this the BEST offer that the Tioggers received? If our GM was to indicate that MadBum was available I would expect that we would receive a shit load of offers and many of them would be negotiable 'upwards' as things became serious. I just think (more like guess) that the Tigger's must have had quite a few offers for Fister. I just find it hard to believe that this was the best of the lot, especially with SP at such a premium..

Agreed.

Fister is a SOLID 3 on a pitching-rich team or as high as a 1 on a lower-tier team. To basically only get 2 high ceiling pitching prospects (but not elite prospects) appears to be a bad use of assets.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Fister is a SOLID 3 on a pitching-rich team or as high as a 1 on a lower-tier team. To basically only get 2 high ceiling pitching prospects (but not elite prospects) appears to be a bad use of assets.

We just can't know what the Tigers know or what they were offered.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just can't know what the Tigers know or what they were offered.

Absolutely. I mentioned that in one of my first posts in this thread.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I am thinking. I am thinking Hembree, Arias and Hall/Law/Bochy. Detroit got a so-so util guy and two young, high-ceiling bullies. We coud have given an elite util and 2 high-ceiling bullies.

Oh well. We do not know what conversatios happened/didn't happen. Fister is not a Giant. Period.

Robbie Ray is now one of Detroit's top pitching prospects, top-5 overall. That doesn't tell the whole story, but they are high on him. He was a consensus top-10 guy for the Nats and is a starter. IMO, it would have taken Escobar.

But as you said, it's all a moot point. Dog Fister will do his thing is Washington and there's nothing SanFran can do about it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbie Ray is now one of Detroit's top pitching prospects, top-5 overall. That doesn't tell the whole story, but they are high on him. He was a consensus top-10 guy for the Nats and is a starter. IMO, it would have taken Escobar.

But as you said, it's all a moot point. Dog Fister will do his thing is Washington and there's nothing SanFran can do about it.

There are probably fans from 25 franchises that are saying "DAMN, we could've beaten that offer for Fister."