• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor Leagues in 2021

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was doing my annual review to try to figure out who the minor league free agents will be from the Giants' org this offseason. Its a bit more difficult since there was no minor league season but I'll list who I think would be on this list.
However, there is a broader discussion about the minor leagues and the likely changes that are going to occur. Everything still seems to be in flux, but its certain that changes are coming. MLB already announced that the Appalachian League is being converted into a summer wooden bat league for college players (not sure how that impacts their amateurism, other than the MLB doesn't have to pay them to play). Rumors are that teams from rookie ball to AA ball are going to be eliminated. If cuts go that high, what does affiliated ball look like moving ahead? Will MLB teams share teams in each level, like the old days when some minor league teams (such as Salinas in the late 80s/early 90s) were essentially independent and contracted with 2 to 5 MLB clubs to fill the roster (and signed other guys outside of organizations)? How do these indy leagues that have been announced as "partner leagues" affect the affiliated ranks?
Questions go beyond that as well. How will this affect the Rule 5 draft? Will there be a Rule 5 draft? I assume there will be but if the changes are radical enough, the commissioner's office may see that draft as a relic that is no longer needed. Also, how many minor league free agents get signed this offseason? Do teams still sign a bunch of guys to invite to spring training but not do the org filler signings? Are there just a wholesale releasing of minor league players this offseason (typically, most orgs release somewhere between 1 to 2 dozen minor leaguers at the conclusion of the World Series or even slightly before)? I guess time will tell.
Meanwhile, here's who are I think are the Giants' minor league free agents (age in paranthesis):
Pitchers (18) - Deiyerbert Bolivar (24), Greg Brody (28), Jamie Callahan (26), Israel Cruz (22), Dylan Davis (26), Enderson Franco (27), Yapson Gomez (26), Jake Jewell (27), Jesus Liranzo (25), Luis Madero (23), Rodolfo Martinez (26), Sam Moll (28), Carlos Navas (28), Trevor Oaks (27), Nolan Riggs (27), Caleb Smith (27), Raffi Vizcaino (24), Sam Wolff (29)
Catchers (2) - Chris Herrmann (33), Bryan Torres (22)
Infielders (4) - Cristhian Adames (29), Zach Green (26), Peter Maris (26), Kean Wong (25)
Outfielders (4) - Mikey Edie (22), Sandro Fabian (22), Drew Robinson (28), Jose Siri (24)

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the complete list of all minor league free agents

However, there are a lot of names I expected to be on this list that are not. I wonder if the lack of a minor league season played a part in who is not on this list.
I am guessing they are only listing players that were on 60-man rosters this past year?? Hard to keep track all minor league FAs...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing they are only listing players that were on 60-man rosters this past year?? Hard to keep track all minor league FAs...
No, the guys listed by BA are a combination of those who were on the 60 man (e.g. Chris Herrmann and Zach Green) and who were not (e.g. Yapson Gomez and Nolan Riggs).
There are 14 players I thought would meet the 6 year minor league benchmark for free agency that are not on the list. Some are just baffling (e.g. Jamie Callahan, not on the 60; and Trevor Oaks and Sam Wolff, both on the 60). A couple (Sandro Fabian and Mikey Edie, mainly) where I may have counted their service time clock too far back. I get thrown off on international signings every year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured out why many of the 14 guys I predicted would be free agents are not. The international signing period got me again, this time on Sandro Fabian and Bryan Torres. I had also miscalculated Peter Maris' free agency. It will be next year.

I also found out that the Giants released a bunch more minor leaguers on March 26th than what was publicly known. Deiyberbert Bolivar, Israel Cruz, Dylan Davis and Mikey Edie were all released that day, according to milb.com.

Speaking of milb.com, Jamie Callahan is also a free agent. Baseball America missed him on their list.

Both Greg Brody and Caleb Smith have not been active for a number of seasons. I thought that those players still have accrual time toward free agency but don't know for certain. They are not listed as retired so it is possible that they just don't have the service time.

BA just reported that Raffi Vizcaino and Drew Robinson re-signed with the org before officially becoming free agents.

I'm still not sure what is going on with Trevor Oaks and Sam Wolff. Maybe they signed multi-year minor league deals earlier this year. Wolff was released and re-signed at the end of summer training.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of these guys will be career minor leaguers and others may get jobs in the majors. Some will retire (Felix Hernandez). I could see a guy like Zach Granite getting a job in the bigs as a utility outfielder/pinch hitter-runner.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of these guys will be career minor leaguers and others may get jobs in the majors. Some will retire (Felix Hernandez). I could see a guy like Zach Granite getting a job in the bigs as a utility outfielder/pinch hitter-runner.
In past seasons, there were always a few free agents that retired (or couldn't find work), more that went overseas or indy ball and a few would land new minor league gigs. I suspect that there will be significantly more that have to hang up the spikes this next year if MLB has its way in cutting the number of minor league teams.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kean Wong signed a minor league deal with the Angels.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants just took a hit on their minor league relief pitching depth - Tyler Heineman signed with the Cardinals.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giant minor leaguers signing early.

dang.

I like to keep tabs on other baseball teams named "Giants". Kinda disappointed that their colors in one logo are read, white, and blue...

...and orange and black in the other...? Wiki says their colors are red and blue..wtf?

1605696394499.png1605696409188.png

1605696459767.png

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Green landed with the Brewers. Hope he gets a shot there.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there is this:

It boggles my mind why MLB decided to demote the entire Cal League to low A ball system and move the Northwest League up to advanced A ball. What is the point of that?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there is this:

It boggles my mind why MLB decided to demote the entire Cal League to low A ball system and move the Northwest League up to advanced A ball. What is the point of that?
That is odd.

So we lose Augusta and Salem-Keiser but gain Eugene. And Eugene is the new San Jose and San Jose is the new Augusta.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there is this:

IDK about the other NWL facilities, but the Eugene's facilities are very good compared to San Jose's facilities. In fact most of the Cal League facilities are pretty bad, which probably played into it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is odd.

So we lose Augusta and Salem-Keiser but gain Eugene. And Eugene is the new San Jose and San Jose is the new Augusta.
I didn't know about Augusta going away until I saw this article on the Giants' website. I thought they just built a new facility a couple years ago. I haven't heard if that team will exist and, if so, in what form.