• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fields v Caleb

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Cleveland defense was very tough. Jayden struggled early as they took away many of the plays their ran with success in the previous games. He responded by hanging 34 on them before sitting out the 4th quarter which was a huge test that he passed.
They are good no doubt, think somewhere in the 16 range in the NFL before their game with us.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better comp is Caleb vs Justin at the same point in their careers

Comparing a rookie QB to a guy who has started for 4 years is fine but not really apples to apples
Even that is apples to apples.

The truth is that Caleb Williams is mostly doing what he should be doing. He is making plays. Carolinas D wasnt that good, though, so just take the W for what it is.

The Steelers receiving corp still seems really bad. Im not sure many QBs would do well in that situation.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even that is apples to apples.

The truth is that Caleb Williams is mostly doing what he should be doing. He is making plays. Carolinas D wasnt that good, though, so just take the W for what it is.

The Steelers receiving corp still seems really bad. Im not sure many QBs would do well in that situation.
For me the reality is that there are simply guys in sports history where fans gets enamored with their athleticism, their measurables, the occasional play that makes you say WOW

And because we get that way we tend to overlook and excuse away a lot of other stuff in the hopes that they will eventually figure it out

I feel like that's where people are with Fields

He hasn't been awful this year. He's been fine. Still taking too long to throw the ball and still fumbling too much but at least his ball security has been moderately better

But there's nothing you can really point after 4 years and 4 games that should make anyone confident he's your guy going forward. And if he's not your guy going forward then you should be starting Wilson because he at least gives you the better shot to win now imo. Even if his down years he's been better than Justin's best years

Its a tough situation because from all reports Justin is a great guy, a good teammate and a hard worker but there's just something he's not getting and at this point there's zero reason to think it's magically going to click

Could Pitt go add to the WR room? Sure. But Chicago had DJ Moore, Darnell Mooney and a good TE last year and Justin still couldn't figure it out so nothing Pitt adds this year is going to make their pass catchers better than what Justin had last season either

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me the reality is that there are simply guys in sports history where fans gets enamored with their athleticism, their measurables, the occasional play that makes you say WOW

And because we get that way we tend to overlook and excuse away a lot of other stuff in the hopes that they will eventually figure it out

He hasn't been awful this year. He's been fine. Still taking too long to throw the ball and still fumbling too much but at least his ball security has been moderately better

But there's nothing you can really point after 4 years and 4 games that should make anyone confident he's your guy going forward. And if he's not your guy going forward then you should be starting Wilson because he at least gives you the better shot to win now imo. Even if his down years he's been better than Justin's best years

Its a tough situation because from all reports Justin is a great guy, a good teammate and a hard worker but there's just something he's not getting and at this point there's zero reason to think it's magically going to click

Could Pitt go add to the WR room? Sure. But Chicago had DJ Moore, Darnell Mooney and a good TE last year and Justin still couldn't figure it out so nothing Pitt adds this year is going to make their pass catchers better than what Justin had last season either
Fields is still only 25 but I do think for the most part we know who he is. I will say that I think his role is more of a game manager in Pitt than Chicago and he is better suited for that. Steelers D + Fields with good WRs probably could make the playoffs. This says more about how poorly the QB situation has been in Pitt in the past half decade, though.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with all of this. Justin Fields is not a bad QB, nobody is saying that. But for a team with the goals of the Steelers he will always hold them back.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through Week 5...Caleb gaining ground

Fields
92/136 67.6%, 830 yards, 5 TD, 1 INTs
13 sacks for 89 yards
44 carries for 172 yards, 3 TDs
5 fumbles
Record: 3-2

Williams
107/170 62.9%, 1021 yds, 5 TDs, 4 INTs
17 sacks for 132 yards (no longer leads league)
21 carries for 113 yards, 0 TDs
3 fumbles
Record: 3-2

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took 5 weeks for Caleb Williams to become a better pure passer than justin fields.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took 5 weeks for Caleb Williams to become a better pure passer than justin fields.

Something tells me that if we go back a few years you'll be saying something about how much better Fields is than Trubisky. It's ok, hope springs eternal

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something tells me that if we go back a few years you'll be saying something about how much better Fields is than Trubisky. It's ok, hope springs eternal
Actually, I wasn’t too high on fields. I was very high on Trubisky at first, even though the entire fan base hated his drafting. I rolled my eyes when we traded for Cutler, I liked Kyle Orton.

You can actually find a thread I started about trading fields the year before we traded him. I would’ve been fine keeping him another year to start in front of Caleb, but I could see how that was bad for the team.

I am usually pro bears qb until they prove they are terrible. I preach patience until about year 3 and then you start to see who he is. I gave Justin fields patience, but he never improved on what is his most limiting issue, throwing receivers open. The Steelers are doing a good job of hiding it and using him as a game manager, which he could be the greatest game manager ever.

Personally, I love fields for bringing entertaining football to a team that had no hope. He kept it mildly interesting while we lost a lot of games. As the team turned around, we exchanged him for an elite prospect at QB. Caleb Williams has already grown as a passer more than any of the bears QBs in the 21st century. Sure, that’s like being the tallest midget, but he sure looks promising.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I wasn’t too high on fields. I was very high on Trubisky at first, even though the entire fan base hated his drafting. I rolled my eyes when we traded for Cutler, I liked Kyle Orton.

You can actually find a thread I started about trading fields the year before we traded him. I would’ve been fine keeping him another year to start in front of Caleb, but I could see how that was bad for the team.

I am usually pro bears qb until they prove they are terrible. I preach patience until about year 3 and then you start to see who he is. I gave Justin fields patience, but he never improved on what is his most limiting issue, throwing receivers open. The Steelers are doing a good job of hiding it and using him as a game manager, which he could be the greatest game manager ever.

Personally, I love fields for bringing entertaining football to a team that had no hope. He kept it mildly interesting while we lost a lot of games. As the team turned around, we exchanged him for an elite prospect at QB. Caleb Williams has already grown as a passer more than any of the bears QBs in the 21st century. Sure, that’s like being the tallest midget, but he sure looks promising.
I was a lot higher on Fields than I was on Trubisky. I didn't think Fields had any business being drafted as low as he was, especially not after Lance and Wilson. The big play ability jumped off the tape with him, especially with his ability to throw long (Trubisky was horrible beyond 15 yards). Turns out Fields couldn't put the nuance of the passing game together. He'll always be one of those tantalizing physical prospects who's a much better athlete than he is a QB. I rooted hard for him to cause he's such a good dude.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a lot higher on Fields than I was on Trubisky. I didn't think Fields had any business being drafted as low as he was, especially not after Lance and Wilson. The big play ability jumped off the tape with him, especially with his ability to throw long (Trubisky was horrible beyond 15 yards). Turns out Fields couldn't put the nuance of the passing game together. He'll always be one of those tantalizing physical prospects who's a much better athlete than he is a QB. I rooted hard for him to cause he's such a good dude.
I bought into the Wilson hype but not the Lance hype. I shouldn't have because both had massive level of competition issues that made them impossible to project anything positive to the NFL. I had Fields as QB3 and a top 7 pick if my notes are right. PFF said he was a mix of Wentz and Cam but he was really young so that was a really good foundation to build on. Fields made a ton of big time throws in college.

Caleb Williams might be the best college prospect I've watched on film in the three games I watched so I just sorta stopped watching because I knew he was the #1 overall pick. There are definitely some inconsistencies on his college tape but I think he brings a ridiculous amount to the table.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that totally and I also think the Josh Allen effect comes into play to some extent. I remember all the discussions on how Allen's faults would probably always be there but he had Brian Daboll and worked hard to correct that and is now a superstar. People gloss over the fact that he is an outlier to that and that so many others have not progressed in the same way. But every coach and GM think they can fix these kids. The odd one might get it but most don't. Anthony Richardson may well be the next one down this road who wows you with the spectacular but is inconsistent and doesn't evolve. Of course, he has to actually stay healthy long enough to find out.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,580.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all of this. Justin Fields is not a bad QB, nobody is saying that. But for a team with the goals of the Steelers he will always hold them back.
I'll say it.
He is not a good QB!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would we have to go back a few years? Fields is better than Trubisky.

"It's ok, hope springs eternal" LOL. Good Lord. Eat a cupcake or something dude.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone smells skerd. You skerd? You seem skerd.