• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fields v Caleb

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC QB going to the Bears.

What could possibly go wrong? :pound:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are being ultra conservative with Fields. Not calling plays where he can gamble much. So long as the defense keeps the opposition under 20pts, I doubt that will change much. Tomlin is content with winning ugly & not taking any chances. They'll do fine against lesser competition, but they aren't fooling any of the top teams.

As for Fields. He's playin great. Doing his job at a high level. He had nothing to do with the reason why the Steelers offense disappeared in the 2nd half yesterday. Penalties negated all of his biggest plays of the day. 1 more TD, and 80+ more yards would have made his stats look a lot better.
I think we have a difference of opinion on what playing great is. But other than that.

2 weeks of Pit defense killing it! That offense could be one of the highest scoring teams in the league. But in reality Fields does not score. I do not understand this whole Fields is doing great thing. I think he holds the offense back. Like I said. The defenses sets up the offense pretty. then not much to show for it in the end.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have a difference of opinion on what playing great is. But other than that.

2 weeks of Pit defense killing it! That offense could be one of the highest scoring teams in the league. But in reality Fields does not score. I do not understand this whole Fields is doing great thing. I think he holds the offense back. Like I said. The defenses sets up the offense pretty. then not much to show for it in the end.
Hey man, the bar was super f*ckin low after years of Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph and the husk of Ben Roethlisberger…

For me… Seeing the plays that are being negated by penalties that make you go, wow he’s changed. Seeing the conservative playcalling that rarely allows him to throw downfield and he’s still finding ways to move the chains. He’s got a playbook with training wheels. The Steelers haven’t needed to open up the playbook yet, so the minimal points output is to be expected. Those days are coming though where they will have no choice but to give it everything they got. Their 2nd half of the season is brutal

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man, the bar was super f*ckin low after years of Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph and the husk of Ben Roethlisberger…
judge strom clancy holds a gavel in a courtroom and says  i 'll allow it

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update! thru Week 3

Fields
55/75 73.3%, 518 yards, 2 TD, 1 INTs
6 sacks for 43 yards
28 carries for 90 yards, 1 TDs
2 fumbles
Record: 3-0

Williams
70/118 59.3%, 630 yds, 2 TDs, 4 INTs
13 sacks for 101 yards
11 carries for 67 yards, 0 TDs
2 fumbles
Record: 1-2

Caleb lit it up in some ways, and got the first two of what will probably be many TDs to Odunze, but turned the ball over three times. Tough loss but reason for optimism tbh.

Fields another solid outing and another victory.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 445.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers are grooming Malik Willis to trade to the Bears for a couple 1st round picks.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're back for Week 4! Steelers sticking with Fields.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're back for Week 4! Steelers sticking with Fields.

As they should. He's not costing them games and they're winning using the Steelers formula.

It will take Fields having a couple of really bad games that lose games for any justification to make a switch. He does seem to be doing a little better each game though. This last one wasn't as one dimensional. They actually were efficient on 3rd down and won the T.O.P. battle. They will need more of that so the defense doesn't get gassed. If Justin can just be efficient enough to give the defense some rest and they can score 20ish points, they are in a good place. They have a good vibe there with him. No point in messing with that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC Waldron and that Bears' running game isn't helping Caleb. A little better this week with Swift essentially getting surpassed by Roschon.

An adjustment period is to be expected, but the Bears roster appeared stacked for Caleb to start quick. Waldron?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC Waldron and that Bears' running game isn't helping Caleb. A little better this week with Swift essentially getting surpassed by Roschon.

An adjustment period is to be expected, but the Bears roster appeared stacked for Caleb to start quick. Waldron?
Yep, Waldron and weaker than expected Oline and a virtually non-existent run game doesn't help. And not sure if Eberflus is the right head coach when Caleb needed development and everybody knew it. Another case of the short sighted view that having talent is all that matters. This will take some time to figure out as it usually does with these youngsters. Way to early to get too excited or overreact but a lot of people will.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will take Fields having a couple of really bad games that lose games for any justification to make a switch. He does seem to be doing a little better each game though. This last one wasn't as one dimensional. They actually were efficient on 3rd down and won the T.O.P. battle. They will need more of that so the defense doesn't get gassed. If Justin can just be efficient enough to give the defense some rest and they can score 20ish points, they are in a good place. They have a good vibe there with him. No point in messing with that.
Tomlin always seems to prefer experience over talent. We've seen it all the time where he chooses to start the incumbent vets over someone new & more talented.

The fact that Tomlin refuses to name the permanent starter makes me think he will make a mess out of this situation. Or hopefully just a ploy to boost Russ' trade value.

Most people see this offense grinding as the "Pittsburgh Football" brand, and some will see it as a staff that just doesn't trust Fields. I think there is truth to both sides of that. Not sayin what they're doin is wrong, because there are plenty of benefits to this method. But sooner or later they will have to put the foot on the gas pedal. This defense isn't going to keep up this historic pace. Injuries are already starting to pile up. They will need to find a way to score more than 20pts per game.

I'm on-board with giving the keys to Fields. He has shown a lot of growth & development. And the players are all rallying around him. I could be wrong, but on the surface it appears Russ is all talk and doesn't seem to have the "want to" factor anymore. I'm tired of him to be honest. I'd love it if the Steelers traded him instead of keeping this cloud of doubt over the locker room.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin always seems to prefer experience over talent. We've seen it all the time where he chooses to start the incumbent vets over someone new & more talented.

The fact that Tomlin refuses to name the permanent starter makes me think he will make a mess out of this situation. Or hopefully just a ploy to boost Russ' trade value.

Most people see this offense grinding as the "Pittsburgh Football" brand, and some will see it as a staff that just doesn't trust Fields. I think there is truth to both sides of that. Not sayin what they're doin is wrong, because there are plenty of benefits to this method. But sooner or later they will have to put the foot on the gas pedal. This defense isn't going to keep up this historic pace. Injuries are already starting to pile up. They will need to find a way to score more than 20pts per game.

I'm on-board with giving the keys to Fields. He has shown a lot of growth & development. And the players are all rallying around him. I could be wrong, but on the surface it appears Russ is all talk and doesn't seem to have the "want to" factor anymore. I'm tired of him to be honest. I'd love it if the Steelers traded him instead of keeping this cloud of doubt over the locker room.

Of the two, Fields has to be the preferred option beyond this season. Russ is 35 (should have multiple years left), but has been on the downward slide from his peak for a few years now.

That said, giving either of them modern starting/franchise QB money is scary. Maybe Tomlin goes scouting for another retread this winter? They should look at the draft this spring too.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully Tomlin isn't thinking one loss we switch QB. That's a proven bad thought process. Some of the games best coaches went down that slippy slop.

Bad for team in the long run.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two, Fields has to be the preferred option beyond this season. Russ is 35 (should have multiple years left), but has been on the downward slide from his peak for a few years now.

That said, giving either of them modern starting/franchise QB money is scary. Maybe Tomlin goes scouting for another retread this winter? They should look at the draft this spring too.
Agreed. My guess is Pgh will let Russ walk & play franchise tag chicken with Fields next offseason since they didn't pick up his 5th yr. Kyle Allen is serviceable, so they aren't going to be pressed for making a big splash unless they lose out on Fields. Maybe they extend another offer to Wilson to see if he's interested in sticking around, but my guess is someone else comes calling with more money. There are quite a few teams that could be pretty desperate next offseason.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I agree that at some point they need the offense to carry the load a bit. I don't know if Fields will develop much beyond what we saw last Sunday though. But if they can keep the defense rested a bit by controlling the clock, they definitely give themselves a chance. If Tomlin changes to Russ simply because they lose one game, that would be so stupid. But like you said, Tomlin will do that sort of thing and for some reason, he seems to think Russ has value. I think he should read the room before he makes that decision. I think the team really likes Fields. And Russ really doesn't give them anything more on the field nowadays anyway. Of course, just my opinion.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ve got to give fields a whole season and see if they want to pay him to be qb of the future