• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Feeling very optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon was also exposed by Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Still the Pac 12 is the best conference in college football. I could say the Alabama defense was exposed by Texas A&M and they were.

So you mean to tell me that Ohio State would be able to shut down Texas A&M's offense ???????

Good Luck with that.....

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really concerned with strength of schedule. Alabama is good but they aren't great and there is a good chance they would lose to Baylor. Look at the only tough offense they played being Texas A&M and they put 42 points on them. Last week a not so great Mississippi State gave them a challenge playing with backup quarterbacks.

All four undefeated teams at the top today are all good and I think any one of them is capable of beating any of the other.

Truth is the BCS and these polls are bogus. Every year they pile all these SEC teams at the top and when they lose to each other they drop them just a little bit. South Carolina is ranked tenth and they have lost two games one to Georgia at 6-4 and the other to a bad Tennessee team that is 4-6. On the other hand Arizona State in nineteenth and has lost to Notre Dame and Stanford. Meanwhile they have beaten Wisconsin and USC. Tell me these polls aren't a joke. Also I am not a Pac 12 fan but it is this year hands down the toughest conference I college football.

Yet each year the SEC team wins the NC game. Seems to me if they weren't all that good in the SEC, then they wouldn't just keep winning. I know that one year it was LSU vs Alabama in the NC game, but that is the only year it was 2 SEC teams. I agree, there is an SEC bias, but they have earned it with their play on the field.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon was also exposed by Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Still the Pac 12 is the best conference in college football. I could say the Alabama defense was exposed by Texas A&M and they were.

You do realize that Alabama was up 42-21 going into the 4th quarter in that game. It ended up being closer than it really was. The Aggies NEVER had the ball within a score in the 2nd half of that game. Besides, outside of that game, the Tide's biggest points against this year is 17 points. That is unheard of in the modern college football with the rules the way they are.

Hey, I hate Bama as much as the next guy. But I am not going to act like they aren't really really good because of that.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC is very down this year. The conference is just not that impressive like it has been in the past.

I'm not saying Baylor's non-con is impressive (it's not), but the way they have beaten everyone is. They put up 70 points regularly and not a single game has been close.

I think it's sad that the four teams we are talking about all have such cowardly-looking non-cons. If just one of them set up a legit opponent outside of conference there probably would be no room for debate. I understand setting up a few cupcakes as it's nice for smaller programs to face elite ones from time to time ($$$, recruiting, etc.), but have some dignity!

There are 3-4 PAC 12 teams not in this discussion that probably should be.

I heard on the radio a week or so back that Vegas would have at least four teams (and maybe 5) as favorites to beat the #2 in the SEC were they to play at that time (Missouri).

How is the SEC down exactly? I would argue the big XII is down. I would put the top 5 teams in the SEC up against any other conference's top 3 teams. As for Missouri (clearly I am biased here), I would put them up against any team in the nation and have confidence. But if Vegas says so, then they must not be all that good. Have you seen them play? They are really good and have a decent shot at winning out and knocking off Alabama. I don't think they will, but they are good. I think a game between them and Ohio St would be extremely close and I would take Missouri.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the SEC down exactly? I would argue the big XII is down. I would put the top 5 teams in the SEC up against any other conference's top 3 teams. As for Missouri (clearly I am biased here), I would put them up against any team in the nation and have confidence. But if Vegas says so, then they must not be all that good. Have you seen them play? They are really good and have a decent shot at winning out and knocking off Alabama. I don't think they will, but they are good. I think a game between them and Ohio St would be extremely close and I would take Missouri.

Bama better take each game as it comes because they still have tough match ups between auburn and Missouri. If the gleem of crystal is already in their eyes, it could present a major downfall for the best team in the country.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough but I could come up with Oregon, Stanford, and ASU as my three. Now teams form the Pac 12 and SEC don't play each other much but it wasn't that long ago when USC did and the result was as an ass kicking by the Trojans. Rosters and players change a lot in a two year period so that's why conferences go up and down. Yes the SEC has won past Nationals Championships but there is no evidence they are the best this year. Who are they playing out of their conference that other top teams are also playing.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of conference only means something when the Conference is weak...

Who has Ohio State played Out of Conference this year that is so awe inspiring ?? Yes, they played a Pac12 team, which you feel is a fantastic conference.... Did they play Stanford ? Nope... Did they play Oregon ? Nope... Did they play USC.... Nope...

They played the California Golden Bears... whose 1 win this season, came in a squeaker vs. PORTLAND STATE. There is pretty good argument, that the California Golden Bears may be the WORST Division 1 School in NCAA, but we will give Ohio State credit for playing a Pac 12 school ???

Out of Conference doesn't matter when the conference itself is weak...

and it's not what teams are doing every year... it's the programs with huge money and fan bases.

The University of Georgia doesn't have a sterling record... but I guarantee you.... Ohio State doesn't want to see them on their schedule Do they ????

Look, you talked about dominance.....

Do you know what the all time record is for Ohio State vs. the SEC in Bowl games......

0 and 9.

One and NINE....

and that One win was vacated...

That's pretty telling right there... and may times, they were the higher ranked team.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of conference only means something when the Conference is weak...

Who has Ohio State played Out of Conference this year that is so awe inspiring ?? Yes, they played a Pac12 team, which you feel is a fantastic conference.... Did they play Stanford ? Nope... Did they play Oregon ? Nope... Did they play USC.... Nope...

They played the California Golden Bears... whose 1 win this season, came in a squeaker vs. PORTLAND STATE. There is pretty good argument, that the California Golden Bears may be the WORST Division 1 School in NCAA, but we will give Ohio State credit for playing a Pac 12 school ???

Out of Conference doesn't matter when the conference itself is weak...

and it's not what teams are doing every year... it's the programs with huge money and fan bases.

The University of Georgia doesn't have a sterling record... but I guarantee you.... Ohio State doesn't want to see them on their schedule Do they ????

Look, you talked about dominance.....

Do you know what the all time record is for Ohio State vs. the SEC in Bowl games......

0 and 9.

One and NINE....

and that One win was vacated...

That's pretty telling right there... and may times, they were the higher ranked team.

Alabama plays Virginia Tech, Chattanooga, Georgia State, and Colorado State. Wow Cakes but just like you to rip on a Big Ten school and then totally ignore the weak non conference schedule Alabama is playing.

Also I will inform you that Cal was a pretty good team when this game was scheduled.

Let me also ad that SEC Vanderbilt was supposed to play Ohio State this season and they backed out of the game.

BamaCards1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my, mighty Vanderbilt backed out of playing OSU.......Might of been for the best for you guys CP. I mean they are a top notch SEC team LOL

Virginia Tech can beat any team OSU has played this year.........Can't say that about Cal!!!!!!!!!

Michigan and Penn St have always played Bama but you will never see those whimpy OSU teams play Bama during the regular season because they know it would kill any chance they have at any NC.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my, mighty Vanderbilt backed out of playing OSU.......Might of been for the best for you guys CP. I mean they are a top notch SEC team LOL

Virginia Tech can beat any team OSU has played this year.........Can't say that about Cal!!!!!!!!!

Michigan and Penn St have always played Bama but you will never see those whimpy OSU teams play Bama during the regular season because they know it would kill any chance they have at any NC.

Playing hem once is playing them all the time. Those were bad Michigan and Penn State teams that Alabama got too. Of course they both were most likely scheduled far enough ahead that nobody would have known this.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scorps... I'm not "ripping OSU's Non Conference" Schedule...

I'm ripping their IN CONFERENCE SCHEDULE...

Sure Alabama's non conference schedule is weak...

But look at their Conference schedule ???

Now compare that to Ohio State...

Ohio State's ONE tough game was against Wisconsin... that's it...

and as a stretch... we can give you Northwestern... but they are a losing football team.

Until Michigan can get to be what it once was... this conference is no different from the ACC and others were there is one clearly dominant team.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone outside of Ohio State fans wouldn't agree they are massively over-rated and play a weak schedule.

Bama is the more interesting argument. In years past, they have been legitimately unstoppable and tore through an SEC schedule with brutal opposition. I don't know how you can try to be objective and say that describes the SEC THIS YEAR?! It's just not that good and it's not the elite football conference.

Vegas has said so. I'm not sure if the one poster who mentioned Vegas was discounting this or not...I hope not...because these guys truly are the experts that set the lines/standards. FOUR PAC-12 teams (maybe 5) would be favored against the #2 SEC team. Let that sink in.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone outside of Ohio State fans wouldn't agree they are massively over-rated and play a weak schedule.

Bama is the more interesting argument. In years past, they have been legitimately unstoppable and tore through an SEC schedule with brutal opposition. I don't know how you can try to be objective and say that describes the SEC THIS YEAR?! It's just not that good and it's not the elite football conference.

Vegas has said so. I'm not sure if the one poster who mentioned Vegas was discounting this or not...I hope not...because these guys truly are the experts that set the lines/standards. FOUR PAC-12 teams (maybe 5) would be favored against the #2 SEC team. Let that sink in.

You were referring to Mizzou specifically and they have pretty much SHATTERED the spread in all their games except the double overtime loss. Vegas has underrated Mizzou all season. Also, the spread is based upon how they expect people to bet and where they want to guide the money. So it has a lot to do with how popular the other team is. Not just how good they are. Using Vegas lines to determine how good a team isn't as telling as you seem to think.

I understand the standings and rankings are also just as subjective as Vegas, but look at them and let it sink in as well. There are 5 SEC teams in the top 12. The PAC-12 has 3 in the top 14. I am not sure what 4 PAC-12 teams you are referring to, but Mizzou would have to be favored over UCLA. Oregon and Stanford I could see. But I don't see how there could be a 3rd or a 4th.

Honestly, do you believe that UCLA, Arizona State and USC are better than Mizzou, South Carolina, Auburn, and Texas A&M?

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were referring to Mizzou specifically and they have pretty much SHATTERED the spread in all their games except the double overtime loss. Vegas has underrated Mizzou all season. Also, the spread is based upon how they expect people to bet and where they want to guide the money. So it has a lot to do with how popular the other team is. Not just how good they are. Using Vegas lines to determine how good a team isn't as telling as you seem to think.

I understand the standings and rankings are also just as subjective as Vegas, but look at them and let it sink in as well. There are 5 SEC teams in the top 12. The PAC-12 has 3 in the top 14. I am not sure what 4 PAC-12 teams you are referring to, but Mizzou would have to be favored over UCLA. Oregon and Stanford I could see. But I don't see how there could be a 3rd or a 4th.

Honestly, do you believe that UCLA, Arizona State and USC are better than Mizzou, South Carolina, Auburn, and Texas A&M?

Do you believe that they aren't. Maybe Missouri is a notch up on this group of SEC teams but if they are not by much.

BamaCards1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can admit Bama isn't the same Bama that has won 3 of the last 4 NC but they are still a good team.

Your claim that 4 maybe 5 Pac-12 team would be favored over #SEC teams is beyond ridiculous. How on earth did you come to that conclusion. On a nuet field none of those teams would be Favored over Auburn or Mizzo or even Carolina.....and I still think LSU is better than all .....Oregon would be the only one and Alabama would trump them so throw out those two teams and the pac is underdogs in them all.

Bama> Oregon
Auburn > Stanford
Mizzou over any team you want left in the Pac
Carolina same thing
LSU same thing

and lets not forget Florida and Georgia have been decimated by injuries all year or they would be much better teams.

Geez and I totally forgot about Texas A&M..........

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can admit Bama isn't the same Bama that has won 3 of the last 4 NC but they are still a good team.

Your claim that 4 maybe 5 Pac-12 team would be favored over #SEC teams is beyond ridiculous. How on earth did you come to that conclusion. On a nuet field none of those teams would be Favored over Auburn or Mizzo or even Carolina.....and I still think LSU is better than all .....Oregon would be the only one and Alabama would trump them so throw out those two teams and the pac is underdogs in them all.

Bama> Oregon
Auburn > Stanford
Mizzou over any team you want left in the Pac
Carolina same thing
LSU same thing

and lets not forget Florida and Georgia have been decimated by injuries all year or they would be much better teams.

Geez and I totally forgot about Texas A&M..........

Its easy to talk trash when your SEC teams only play each other and then they play a powerhouse like Chattanooga today.

The polls are so biased now that ex Ohio State quarterback has to dislike his own alma mater if he wants to remain an ESPN announcer. In addition to that he must preach to the masses every day how mighty the SEC is when Alabama versus LSU give you 25 points for a whole game

Texas A&M and Missouri were basically average at best and as soon as they jump into the SEC they have become two of the top teams in the conference. How do you explain that Bama. That just shouldn't happen .

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did this turn into a Bama-Ohio State thread?

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you believe that they aren't. Maybe Missouri is a notch up on this group of SEC teams but if they are not by much.

I think Standford and Oregon are both very good, but I would take any of those SEC schools over UCLA, Arizona State and USC. I know they are good teams. But I think the SEC teams are better. Look the PAC-12 is a great conference this year. And I think it is a little sad that Florida St, Baylor and Ohio St will keep Stanford from being in the NC game. Also, those teams could keep Bama out if they lose. I think Bama and Stanford are the 2 best teams in the country. Florida St and Ohio St are both VERY good and are worthy. For some reason I just don't buy into Baylor. But the best teams in the best conferences are Alabama and Stanford. That is my opinion at least.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy to talk trash when your SEC teams only play each other and then they play a powerhouse like Chattanooga today.

The polls are so biased now that ex Ohio State quarterback has to dislike his own alma mater if he wants to remain an ESPN announcer. In addition to that he must preach to the masses every day how mighty the SEC is when Alabama versus LSU give you 25 points for a whole game

Texas A&M and Missouri were basically average at best and as soon as they jump into the SEC they have become two of the top teams in the conference. How do you explain that Bama. That just shouldn't happen .

Texas A&M has the best player in the country and that is why they aren't average. Mizzou has been in the rankings year after year for the past few years save a couple of down years like last year. So I wouldn't call them average at best. But the big reason is that their recruiting will go way up being in the SEC because high school kids want to play in that conference.

Think about it. Some of these kids in high school (16 and 17 year olds) have pretty much only seen an SEC national champion. It has been 7 straight. Not a lot of 10 year old kids are big time football fans yet. The conference is VERY attractive and pretty much has been the dominant conference in football the last few years. I agree there is a bias, but at the same time the play on the field has been exceptional.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Southern beat SEC power Florida. How many injuries does Florida have. Yeah it must be nice to be the SEC and always have the top six teams automatically set up in the top ten. So at the start of the season the AP poll hat the Gators at ten.

What's worse is Ohio State has beaten all of their opponents easily and started at two. Florida State started at eleven and they have moved all the way up and passed number two. This doesn't happen in the polls of old. The whole system is biased and bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.