• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading A Gentleman in Moscow. It's very enjoyable.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I've in lockdown since mid March, I've gone through about 7 books and some of the good ones...
The Institute by Stephen King....not your typical King piece of horror, by a good sci-fi peak into the future about mind control and the risk/rewards of such an endeavor. Also, his novel 11/22/63 is my all time favorite. The plot revolves around a guy who has the ability travel to the past and his attempts to stop the Kennedy assassination. I could not put it down.
Becoming Wild by Carl Safina.....An interesting take on the behavior of animals and the idea of animals developing a culture in the wild. Looks at the behavior of groups of sperm whales, parrots and apes.
Fire Shut Up in My Bones by Charles Blow....a great memoir about Blow's early life and the struggles he faced with a dysfunctional family and child sexual abuse.
Full Throttle by Joe Hill.....This guy is actually Stephen King's son and this is a collection of some off-the-wall short stories in the same genre like his dad.
Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick.....if you have kids at home, this would be a GREAT book to read together. It revolves around the friendship of two polar opposite 8th graders. It will make you laugh, cry, get angry...I've taught this book for over 20 years and well over 90% of my students love this book, and many even tell me it changes the way they look at others. There is a movie, "The Mighty," based on the book, but it's nowhere near as impactful. But if you read the book with your kids, and then watch the movie together, you could have some great conversations.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I've in lockdown since mid March, I've gone through about 7 books and some of the good ones...
The Institute by Stephen King....not your typical King piece of horror, by a good sci-fi peak into the future about mind control and the risk/rewards of such an endeavor. Also, his novel 11/22/63 is my all time favorite. The plot revolves around a guy who has the ability travel to the past and his attempts to stop the Kennedy assassination. I could not put it down.
Becoming Wild by Carl Safina.....An interesting take on the behavior of animals and the idea of animals developing a culture in the wild. Looks at the behavior of groups of sperm whales, parrots and apes.
Fire Shut Up in My Bones by Charles Blow....a great memoir about Blow's early life and the struggles he faced with a dysfunctional family and child sexual abuse.
Full Throttle by Joe Hill.....This guy is actually Stephen King's son and this is a collection of some off-the-wall short stories in the same genre like his dad.
Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick.....if you have kids at home, this would be a GREAT book to read together. It revolves around the friendship of two polar opposite 8th graders. It will make you laugh, cry, get angry...I've taught this book for over 20 years and well over 90% of my students love this book, and many even tell me it changes the way they look at others. There is a movie, "The Mighty," based on the book, but it's nowhere near as impactful. But if you read the book with your kids, and then watch the movie together, you could have some great conversations.
I have been wanting to read Joe Hill. I hear his stuff is very good.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like an appropriate time to pull out Stephen King's "The Stand" for another read.
Love that book! I read it when it first came out and my wife and I were just talking about it the other day and how it mirrored some of what we are experiencing today.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I simply do not doe-books or those audio books where somebody reads to you.

And our library has been shut for a month now. I had a bunch of books to start the shutdown, most were Sandford's Prey series.

But I'm now out of those. Don't want to go buy books, so I'm starting Wilbur Smith's Courtney saga again. ~7 big thick books of African adventure.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone read Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny or the Tide Kings series by Jennifer Fallon?

I am trying to decide which to read next.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate the the libraries are shut.

I'm having to buy used books now.

And even the used book stores won't let you drop in and browse. You have to give them a list and hope they have what you want.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And even the used book stores won't let you drop in and browse. You have to give them a list and hope they have what you want.
just get an ereader

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here, majority of my reading was from the Queens Public. I had two books checked out when they closed, but finished those long ago. Now I'm re-reading stuff that's on my shelves. Currently going through Halberstam's The Fifties

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here, majority of my reading was from the Queens Public. I had two books checked out when they closed, but finished those long ago. Now I'm re-reading stuff that's on my shelves. Currently going through Halberstam's The Fifties

I had 6 just checked out when they shut.

And I've since bought 20 used ones.

But even used book stores are difficult to get in to around here.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never. I spend enough time at a computer screen during the day.

Books are much better to read before bed too.
I have a paperwhite. It's nothing like looking at a computer screen.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had 6 just checked out when they shut.

And I've since bought 20 used ones.

But even used book stores are difficult to get in to around here.

I haven't even tried to look at any of mine. I just assumed they would be shut down as non-essential. A lot of them are thrift shops which also sell clothing and furniture.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just get an ereader

I'll say again, fuck ereaders. Then you can give me a silly rating again.

Next you'll tell me to listen to audio books....

A book tells me to go to sleep after I drop it on the floor 3 times.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a paperwhite. It's nothing like looking at a computer screen.

It's electric. It's pixels.

I don't spend my days glued to a phone. I sit at a computer all day for work.

I have zero inclination to have some other electronic gadget so I can read.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's electric. It's pixels.

I don't spend my days glued to a phone. I sit at a computer all day for work.

I have zero inclination to have some other electronic gadget so I can read.
then you have nothing to read.

I'm done.