• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
currently reading the 3rd book of the Murderbot Diaries. Quick, easy reads and I really like the main character.

Murderbot3.jpg

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brothers Cabal - Jonathan L. Howard

I saw it on the shelf at the library and it turns out it's book number 4.

I quite like it.

Will search for the precursors.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am cruising through Golden Son by Pierce Brown, the second book of his Red Rising saga. Dammit it's good. Well written and gripping.

I recommend it if you haven't read this series yet

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Lamb.

My cup of tea.

Many laughs. Am going to read everyone of Moore's books for sure. 3 down....

The missus is reading it as I type and I can hear her giggling.

Back to the Cabals.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Lamb.

My cup of tea.

Back to the Cabals.
glad to hear it

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
currently reading Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
middlegame_esn_wide-f287126423e0310db5c4bd95482dbe6b26f8ef97.jpg

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announcing the 2019 Hugo Award Winners

2019 HUGO AWARD FINALISTS
Best Novel
  • The Calculating Stars, by Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few, by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager)
  • Revenant Gun, by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris)
  • Space Opera, by Catherynne M. Valente (Saga)
  • Spinning Silver, by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Macmillan)
  • Trail of Lightning, by Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga)
Best Novella
  • Artificial Condition, by Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing)
  • Beneath the Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
  • Binti: The Night Masquerade, by Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com Publishing)
  • The Black God’s Drums, by P. Djèlí Clark (Tor.com Publishing)
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach, by Kelly Robson (Tor.com Publishing)
  • The Tea Master and the Detective, by Aliette de Bodard (Subterranean Press / JABberwocky Literary Agency)
Best Novelette
  • “If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again,” by Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog, 29 November 2018)
  • “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections,” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com, 11 July 2018)
  • “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth,” by Daryl Gregory (Tor.com, 19 September 2018)
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing, by Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing)
  • “The Thing About Ghost Stories,” by Naomi Kritzer (Uncanny Magazine 25, November- December 2018)
  • “When We Were Starless,” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld 145, October 2018)
Best Short Story
  • “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies,” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, February 2018)
  • “The Court Magician,” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed, January 2018)
  • “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society,” by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine 25, November-December 2018)
  • “The Secret Lives of the Nine ***** Teeth of George Washington,” by P. Djèlí Clark (Fireside Magazine, February 2018)
  • “STET,” by Sarah Gailey (Fireside Magazine, October 2018)
  • “The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat,” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine 23, July-August 2018)
Best Series
  • Wayfarers, by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager)
  • The Centenal Cycle, by Malka Older (Tor.com Publishing)
  • The Laundry Files, by Charles Stross (most recently Tor.com Publishing/Orbit)
  • Machineries of Empire, by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris)
  • The October Daye Series, by Seanan McGuire (most recently DAW)
  • The Universe of Xuya, by Aliette de Bodard (most recently Subterranean Press)
Best Related Work
  • Archive of Our Own, a project of the Organization for Transformative Works
  • Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, by Alec Nevala-Lee (Dey Street Books)
  • The Hobbit Duology (documentary in three parts), written and edited by Lindsay Ellis and Angelina Meehan (YouTube)
  • An Informal History of the Hugos: A Personal Look Back at the Hugo Awards, 1953- 2000, by Jo Walton (Tor)
  • www.mexicanxinitiative.com: The Mexicanx Initiative Experience at Worldcon 76 (Julia Rios, Libia Brenda, Pablo Defendini, John Picacio)
  • Ursula K. Le Guin: Conversations on Writing, by Ursula K. Le Guin with David Naimon (Tin House Books)
Best Graphic Story
  • Monstress, Volume 3: Haven, written by Marjorie Liu, art by Sana Takeda (Image Comics)
  • Abbott, written by Saladin Ahmed, art by Sami Kivelä, colours by Jason Wordie, letters by Jim Campbell (BOOM! Studios)
  • Black Panther: Long Live the King, written by Nnedi Okorafor and Aaron Covington, art by André Lima Araújo, Mario Del Pennino and Tana Ford (Marvel)
  • On a Sunbeam, by Tillie Walden (First Second)
  • Paper Girls, Volume 4, written by Brian K. Vaughan, art by Cliff Chiang, colours by Matt Wilson, letters by Jared K. Fletcher (Image Comics)
  • Saga, Volume 9, written by Brian K. Vaughan, art by Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, screenplay by Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman, directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey and Rodney Rothman (Sony)
  • Annihilation, directed and written for the screen by Alex Garland, based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer (Paramount Pictures / Skydance)
  • Avengers: Infinity War, screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo (Marvel Studios)
  • Black Panther, written by Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole, directed by Ryan Coogler (Marvel Studios)
  • A Quiet Place, screenplay by Scott Beck, John Krasinski and Bryan Woods, directed by John Krasinski (Platinum Dunes / Sunday Night)
  • Sorry to Bother You, written and directed by Boots Riley (Annapurna Pictures)
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
  • The Good Place: “Janet(s),” written by Josh Siegal & Dylan Morgan, directed by Morgan Sackett (NBC)
  • The Expanse: “Abaddon’s Gate,” written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck and Naren Shankar, directed by Simon Cellan Jones (Penguin in a Parka / Alcon Entertainment)
  • Doctor Who: “Demons of the Punjab,” written by Vinay Patel, directed by Jamie Childs (BBC)
  • Dirty Computer, written by Janelle Monáe, directed by Andrew Donoho and Chuck Lightning (Wondaland Arts Society / Bad Boy Records / Atlantic Records)
  • The Good Place: “Jeremy Bearimy,” written by Megan Amram, directed by Trent O’Donnell (NBC)
  • Doctor Who: “Rosa,” written by Malorie Blackman and Chris Chibnall, directed by Mark Tonderai (BBC)

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Lamb.

My cup of tea.

Back to the Cabals.

One of my favorite books. For it not being a very long book, I found some parts hilarious, and then the ending rather overly sad (for obvious reasons). Great, great, great book.

I read approx 50 books a year, usually knocking out 3 at a time (but all different genres).

Right now I'm reading The Fifth Gospel (Fiction), The Book of Mormon (Figured I'd see what it's about), and the Biography of Malcom X.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I'm reading The Fifth Gospel (Fiction), The Book of Mormon (Figured I'd see what it's about), and the Biography of Malcom X.

It's about knocking on doors on Saturday morning.... They're about conversion.

I never read non-fiction.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20190217_1625567389362001273752383.jpg

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about knocking on doors on Saturday morning.... They're about conversion.

I never read non-fiction.

Yeah - I'm so are Jevoah Witnesses, but I was raised in a VERY strict religious house, and revolted as soon as I was old enough to. So I'm kind of made it a deal since I turned 30 to read all the relgious texts, just for reference.

I love non-fiction, whether it's biographies, history, or science, I absolutely devour them.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I'm so are Jevoah Witnesses, but I was raised in a VERY strict religious house, and revolted as soon as I was old enough to. So I'm kind of made it a deal since I turned 30 to read all the relgious texts, just for reference.

I love non-fiction, whether it's biographies, history, or science, I absolutely devour them.

I had a "procedure" 30 years ago and when I came out from anesthesia the guy in the bed next to me was a Mormon. I wasn't even sure where I was and he started in on me.

Between the 2, Mormons and Johos I'm not sure which is worse.

Mormon I guess can have Xmas. But nothing fun. And they have that mandatory missionary work out country.

Johos can't have Xmas but I'm pretty sure they can drink.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a "procedure" 30 years ago and when I came out from anesthesia the guy in the bed next to me was a Mormon. I wasn't even sure where I was and he started in on me.

Between the 2, Mormons and Johos I'm not sure which is worse.

Mormon I guess can have Xmas. But nothing fun. And they have that mandatory missionary work out country.

Johos can't have Xmas but I'm pretty sure they can drink.
It's aboat not drinking. It's aboat not dancing.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
closer to Halloween, so getting into some Stephen King with The Outsider
1411c02b90dd635a64e84156c2c3c3e2.jpeg

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore again, at home Serpent of Venice and while at work in the AM before everybody comes in, Sacre Bleu.