• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay..so before reading this, remember the Josh Jacobs blurb where they tried to drum up fear because he played in the first preseason game-

"Dameon Pierce rushed five times for 48 yards in the Texans’ preseason opener Saturday.

Veteran Marlon Mack got the start in the Texans’ backfield but rushed for just six yards on three carries, and Rex Burkhead didn’t even play. Pierce was the star of the night for the Texans, averaging 9.8 YPC with a long run of 20 yards. He ran with power and solidified himself as Houston’s best back. Whether or not the coaches start him right away is to be seen, but Pierce is probably the best bet to lead this backfield in touches this season"

Ok, so Josh Jacobs played, and they took that as a possible indictment that he might not be the lead back any longer, reasoning being that if he was, he wouldn't have played at all. Rex Burkhead doesn't play, and they seemingly assume it's that he wasn't worth playing, and isn't in the equation since 'he didn't even play'

So which is it? Going off the logic in the Jacobs post, Burkhead, by virtue of not playing, is the bona-fide starter. But here, he's an afterthought.

I dunno where edge/rotoworld gets these idiots who write these.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay..so before reading this, remember the Josh Jacobs blurb where they tried to drum up fear because he played in the first preseason game-

"Dameon Pierce rushed five times for 48 yards in the Texans’ preseason opener Saturday.

Veteran Marlon Mack got the start in the Texans’ backfield but rushed for just six yards on three carries, and Rex Burkhead didn’t even play. Pierce was the star of the night for the Texans, averaging 9.8 YPC with a long run of 20 yards. He ran with power and solidified himself as Houston’s best back. Whether or not the coaches start him right away is to be seen, but Pierce is probably the best bet to lead this backfield in touches this season"

Ok, so Josh Jacobs played, and they took that as a possible indictment that he might not be the lead back any longer, reasoning being that if he was, he wouldn't have played at all. Rex Burkhead doesn't play, and they seemingly assume it's that he wasn't worth playing, and isn't in the equation since 'he didn't even play'

So which is it? Going off the logic in the Jacobs post, Burkhead, by virtue of not playing, is the bona-fide starter. But here, he's an afterthought.

Bigger indication for me is that Mack was returning kicks.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think there is a difference between the hall of fame game and other preseason games. Unless something has changed, the HOF game participants play an extra game and traditionally, most of the starters don't even suit up.

They are probably blowing things out of proportion, but I can see the difference in the situations.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a difference between the hall of fame game and other preseason games. Unless something has changed, the HOF game participants play an extra game and traditionally, most of the starters don't even suit up.

They are probably blowing things out of proportion, but I can see the difference in the situations.
I don't think it means diddly sqwat, in either situation.

Some coaches wanna see their guys out there, some don't. Some veterans feel the need to play a little and 'force' the coaches to give them a couple series, other times there's something that needs to get worked on in the game plan and in game is the only way to do it. Each and every situation needs its own evaluation, new coaches, new QB's new systems, aging vets, rookies..every variable can produce a different result and not mean sqwat all at the same time.

Now if a presumed starter is playing into when the #3's, or worse, are playing...now maybe you've got something to write about.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you want to protect your starters in preseason. But i dont understand why you still dont want to give the starters "contact" in the preaseason... especially if there is a new coordinator, new teammates, etc. Since you dont have that in practice, you NEED that real game type feel.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you want to protect your starters in preseason. But i dont understand why you still dont want to give the starters "contact" in the preaseason... especially if there is a new coordinator, new teammates, etc. Since you dont have that in practice, you NEED that real game type feel.
I railed pretty hard on the Rams last year, new QB, zero preseason game reps with all his new teammates. The bastards won the superbowl..so...???

But in general I totally agree. call it knocking the rust off or whatever..I'd have to have them taking at least SOME reps in real game situations before its for real.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Raiders preseason game #2..no Jacobs, no Ameer...doe's that put the situation to rest? Now the only Rb questions left to be decided should be, Zuess vs Drake..which I would imagine Zuess SHOULD win.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I railed pretty hard on the Rams last year, new QB, zero preseason game reps with all his new teammates. The bastards won the superbowl..so...???

But in general I totally agree. call it knocking the rust off or whatever..I'd have to have them taking at least SOME reps in real game situations before its for real.
Had the Bears in mind when i wrote that.
Fields needs the reps. All new WR 'cept for Mooney. What is 5 attempts going to accomplish? I just dont get that mentality?

And if the other team is resting their defensive 1st stringers, then those 5 attempts should have racked up yards. Not 40.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Raiders preseason game #2..no Jacobs, no Ameer...doe's that put the situation to rest? Now the only Rb questions left to be decided should be, Zuess vs Drake..which I would imagine Zuess SHOULD win.
A M E E R. Sorry had to be done. No fun lovin hoser could hold back

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic's Nate Taylor left RB Ronald Jones off his 53-man projection for the Kansas City roster.​

"Jones has fallen on the depth chart with each passing week. He finished Saturday’s game with only 1 rushing yard on four attempts. He didn’t break a single tackle and didn’t display a burst with the ball in his hands," Taylor writes. The backup back fantasy managers should be targeting is rookie Isiah Pacheco. Taylor also has Jerrick McKinnon making the roster over Jones.

I am really glad that I didn't give up anything for Jones when they signed him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic's Nate Taylor left RB Ronald Jones off his 53-man projection for the Kansas City roster.​

"Jones has fallen on the depth chart with each passing week. He finished Saturday’s game with only 1 rushing yard on four attempts. He didn’t break a single tackle and didn’t display a burst with the ball in his hands," Taylor writes. The backup back fantasy managers should be targeting is rookie Isiah Pacheco. Taylor also has Jerrick McKinnon making the roster over Jones.

I am really glad that I didn't give up anything for Jones when they signed him.
Excited Game GIF

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mass Live's Chris Mason reports Rhamondre Stevenson was practicing in the "James White role" Monday.​

Both Stevenson and Damien Harris sat out the Patriots' preseason opener over the weekend. With White now retired and rookie Pierre Strong struggling badly in pass protection, targets are up for grabs out of New England's backfield. Ty Montgomery is widely considered the favorite to step into those vacated looks, but Stevenson showed he was at least capable as a pass-catcher on limited targets as a rookie, catching 14-of-18 for 123 yards for an 8.8 YPR average. If Stevenson can step into that role and get a bigger share of the carries, his upside, ceiling, and floor would all rise for fantasy purposes.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mass Live's Chris Mason reports Rhamondre Stevenson was practicing in the "James White role" Monday.​

Both Stevenson and Damien Harris sat out the Patriots' preseason opener over the weekend. With White now retired and rookie Pierre Strong struggling badly in pass protection, targets are up for grabs out of New England's backfield. Ty Montgomery is widely considered the favorite to step into those vacated looks, but Stevenson showed he was at least capable as a pass-catcher on limited targets as a rookie, catching 14-of-18 for 123 yards for an 8.8 YPR average. If Stevenson can step into that role and get a bigger share of the carries, his upside, ceiling, and floor would all rise for fantasy purposes.
Well if he's doing the James White role, and he's the guy who spells D. Harris every third series or whatever, in an offense ran by a defensive coordinator, featuring a QB who they're still coddling a bit..that's going to equate to a lot of touches. Bigger question remains though- quantity sounds like it'll be there, how about the quality? Is the offense going to generate yards and points, or will they average 20 points a game or less?
And to a lesser extent, now that McD is gone, is there truly a James White role to be filled? Surely, it won't be the same.

Last year under McD they hit 27 points a game for #6 in the league, #8 in yards rushing, #14 yards passing- I have to assume that'll go down

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to a lesser extent, now that McD is gone, is there truly a James White role to be filled? Surely, it won't be the same.

Last year under McD they hit 27 points a game for #6 in the league, #8 in yards rushing, #14 yards passing- I have to assume that'll go down
Back in 2009 when McD left for Denver, surprisingly the attempts and yardage were about the same. Ranked 12th in attempts in 2008 w/ McD and ranked 10th in attempts w/o McD. Rushing yardage ranks stayed the same (12th).

But then again, there is the Brady factor.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in 2009 when McD left for Denver, surprisingly the attempts and yardage were about the same. Ranked 12th in attempts in 2008 w/ McD and ranked 10th in attempts w/o McD. Rushing yardage ranks stayed the same (12th).

they were very careful with mac last year 25th in pass attempts lets see if they open the playbook but they have a good stable of RBs:suds:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not only Brady V Squishy Mac, but also we're talking offenses ran by BIll O' Brien or Brian Flores vs an offense soon to be ran by career defensive minded Matt Patricia. O'Brien and Flores might not be McD or McVay or similar, but at least they are credible offensive minds whose systems have had at least some real success at the NFL level.