• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN writer calls for Patriots banned from SB play

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you want them to play but in your last post you wanted the Seahawks to be awarded the SB Championship. You can't have it both ways.

I only want them "awarded" the SB if Rosie O'Donnell can get the SB cancelled. She could attack Phoenix Godzilla style. That would probably do it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw the Patriots out of the Super Bowl - CNN.com

It ain't gonna happen and I don''t know how it could happen. And even if it could, Roger has already gotten walking order from Kraft to minimize the issue.

iI4qGA2S6erfb.gif

And here I thought Oprah was a waste of life. She gave us this gem. Thank You, Ocra

Last edited by a moderator:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the Pats purposely filled the balls with hot air, or in sauna, or whatever, fully knowing the balls would lose pressure and be below the league specified amount, how is that any different than letting out the air with a needle? Either way they are knowingly tampering with the ball. They are just doing it in a different way. Actually it might even be worse because that would show a whole other level of deception and would show how much further they'd be willing to go to thwart the rules. A ball boy taking some air out with a needle would be far more believable and far less conniving in my opinion.

My point being everyone is trying to gain an advantage. If the rule states the psi must be 12.5-13.5 psi and no one can alter them after that. Then the Pats are not altering them, physics are. Very Grey area that is difficult to refute. Because then the defense comes the ball was at 0 psi when they started filling them. Used a compressor that had been running for X amount of time causing it to pump heated air. Air forced into the balls at a high rate because they needed to get them to the officials. Air pressure expands before testing and decreases after. Plus you add in the temp change from inside to outside.

Again I'm not saying it's right. Not even sure I believe this BS I'm writing? Just throwing out potential scenarios. It may be looked at as deceitful or trickery but so was the eligible/ineligible formations. Bottom line it's not illegal.

Yep we could would if this all day. Why didn't Brady say that? Is the ball boy equipment manager a physics major... well you get the idea. If the glove don't fit you must acquit. More to follow after the investigation.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point being everyone is trying to gain an advantage. If the rule states the psi must be 12.5-13.5 psi and no one can alter them after that. Then the Pats are not altering them, physics are. Very Grey area that is difficult to refute. Because then the defense comes the ball was at 0 psi when they started filling them. Used a compressor that had been running for X amount of time causing it to pump heated air. Air forced into the balls at a high rate because they needed to get them to the officials. Air pressure expands before testing and decreases after. Plus you add in the temp change from inside to outside.

Again I'm not saying it's right. Not even sure I believe this BS I'm writing? Just throwing out potential scenarios. It may be looked at as deceitful or trickery but so was the eligible/ineligible formations. Bottom line it's not illegal.

Yep we could would if this all day. Why didn't Brady say that? Is the ball boy equipment manager a physics major... well you get the idea. If the glove don't fit you must acquit. More to follow after the investigation.

That is just saying that they did it on purpose (cheated) but found a way to hide it better. It would be like a player taking steroids but finding a brand new masking agent so he didn't fail the piss test. That isn't a grey area it's still cheating. Just because you find a clever way to thwart the rules it doesn't mean you aren't breaking them. The eligable/ineligable formations are fine. It's in the rule book and they didn't actually break a rule. This, if proven, is completely different.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just saying that they did it on purpose (cheated) but found a way to hide it better. It would be like a player taking steroids but finding a brand new masking agent so he didn't fail the piss test. That isn't a grey area it's still cheating. Just because you find a clever way to thwart the rules it doesn't mean you aren't breaking them. The eligable/ineligable formations are fine. It's in the rule book and they didn't actually break a rule. This, if proven, is completely different.

I'll leave that up to the lawyers and rule committee to argue. I personally hate people in everyday life getting over by finding loopholes but they do continually. That's the point I've been trying to make.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll leave that up to the lawyers and rule committee to argue. I personally hate people in everyday life getting over by finding loopholes but they do continually. That's the point I've been trying to make.

Yes lots of people get away with stuff on technicalities, but sometimes they get caught too. When they do get caught they need to be punished hard. Really, I think in the big scheme of things a slightly under inflated football isn't a lot to worry about, but on the other hand there is the principle of the matter. You must admit it seems like only Pats fans are defending this or offering up highly unlikely scenarios to explain it all away. I can't say I wouldn't maybe do the same if it were the Hawks. None the less, I actually think Pats fans know what happened is bad but they are being good fans and defending their team. I got no problem with that.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes lots of people get away with stuff on technicalities, but sometimes they get caught too. When they do get caught they need to be punished hard. Really, I think in the big scheme of things a slightly under inflated football isn't a lot to worry about, but on the other hand there is the principle of the matter. You must admit it seems like only Pats fans are defending this or offering up highly unlikely scenarios to explain it all away. I can't say I wouldn't maybe do the same if it were the Hawks. None the less, I actually think Pats fans know what happened is bad but they are being good fans and defending their team. I got no problem with that.

I'm with you as I've said in other threads. If the Pats are found to have cheated they should be penalized heavily. Much more then $25K. If the NFL had irrefutable evidence they brought forth today I would not lose a minute of sleep if BB was suspended for the SB and all of next year. Does money and or draft picks weigh into the fine? I don't know? Haters will want every draft pick until 2020 along with Brady's next born. Pats fans will want the least. There will be some in the middle.

Not sure it's only Pats fans defending this? I guess that matters on where you draw the line at defending. There are many like yourself saying playing with a deflated ball probably not a big deal. But if they intentionally violated the rules then that is something entirely different, and I totally agree with you on that.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All bullshit aside; is this not the most ridiculous overreaction you've ever seen? We have "real analysts" suggesting we remove the Patriots from the game for 2 psi of AIR PRESSURE! Not two actual pounds of air, 2 pounds per square inch. A pressure differential that is barely noticeable. But the MSM is doing their best to blow this up your ass and a lot of you are taking it in wholeheartedly. It's really quite hilarious to watch. Thanks for the memories, guys! I'll always cherish this time at the Hoop and remember all the laughs. :suds:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Writer should be banned from ESPN for being stupid.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be like a player taking steroids but finding a brand new masking agent so he didn't fail the piss test .

It would be more like a player taking a PED that hadn't been banned yet, but obviously should be and will be in the future.

However, BB has denied even that level of skullduggery, very clearly and emphatically, and if he's lying there surely are a LOT of past and present team employees who know that he is.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute...is it illegal to put extra air in a football like Rodgers does? If not your comment is pointless.

Enough to complain about the refs deflating them. There's a maximum limit as well so you make the judgement. Just another player in the NFL pushing the envelope to gain that edge in play...

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know one thing,......mark brunell getting "tear-eyed and choked-up" the other day after Brady's press Conf. = gets my (Best-Drama-Queen) vote at the next ESPY-Awards...!

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*......and if "the Bus" get's into the HOF next Saturday night over Haley and Tim brown = I'm moving to France with Alec Baldwin.....!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Find me a professional sports team that is not living on the line between playing by the rules and breaking them, and I will show you a failing organization.

What you would call "getting over" some would call pushing the envelope. I don't think it's fair to paint all these things with 1 brush as being right or wrong. Like most things it's way more complicated then that

thisistheyear

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no idea if the Colts balls were or were not deflated.

They could have been at 13.5 before game, deflated due to conditions and ended up at 12.5, which would still be within the league rule (and thus why the NFL did not say anything)

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no idea if the Colts balls were or were not deflated.

They could have been at 13.5 before game, deflated due to conditions and ended up at 12.5, which would still be within the league rule (and thus why the NFL did not say anything)

Exactly.

What's intersting to me is that no media outlet, that I'm aware of, is following up on how the intial reporting got out and the fact that it came through Indianapolis. Being that it came through there how accurate was the leaked information? For example was the difference in psi actually 2 lbs, or for example was it .2 lbs.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the Patriots fans responses is hilarious. Their jimmies are seriously rustled.