• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Embarrassing officiating

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hood was 0-3 for the game from the stripe. Just sayin.

If he misses the front end, you need to get a rebound and make a shot in 10 seconds. Not an easy feat to be sure, but let's not act like it's impossible. It happens all the time.

And the fact the game was on the line (so to speak) at that point just added pressure. Now he has his FTs and then a double T on top of that. At this point, the pressure for him to sink his free throws is gone. Game over.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that JB should be fired, or even reprimanded beyond the ejection. I don't think it is an indictment on him personally, or his career as a whole. I don't think it's going to keep him out of the HoF or anything like that. But it was a dumb thing to do on his part, and whether he has won 900+ games or 9000+ games, he isn't beyond reproach.

It's one thing if you want to stick up for JB. He's "your guy" I get that. But don't act as if other people are out of line for criticizing the man. Yeah, we all make mistakes, and typically we all get criticized for them. That's the way the world works. JB is no exception.

I agree it was dumb. I'll guarantee he would have rather finished out the game and got to shake hands with Coach K on the court. There are not many games remaining for either of these coaches and I'm sure he knows this.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is that there's a double standard. A player loses his cool in a game and he gets ripped by everyone. An old man with years of experience does it and it's "funny" and "cool". Not just saying JB. The HC for my team did it this year too and was defended to the teeth. Coaches know better and need to keep their composure more than what we expect from the "kids".

Got dang right there is a double standard.

It is the coaches job to argue the game, not the players.

And very few men have kept their composure better than Coach Boeheim. 1st ejecting in 30+ years.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Huggins got T'ed up on a nightly basis in the 90's. The Bearcats did very well despite of this.

Did anyone get T'ed up more than Huggs?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hood was 0-3 for the game from the stripe. Just sayin.

If he misses the front end, you need to get a rebound and make a shot in 10 seconds. Not an easy feat to be sure, but let's not act like it's impossible. It happens all the time.

So he was due. :yahoo:

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach JB was damn near to the middle of the court....he would have thrown his coat but he couldn't get it all the way off.

He deserved the T. I couldn't hear shit, but you could see bullshit come out his lips at least twice.

The minute CJ was called for the offensive foul, I thought the game was over. The double T was the right thing. And that mandates an ejection. It was the right call. And it makes for a great potential rematch in the ACC tournament.

This was a great game for Duke, SU and the ACC.

The way their offense is playing, potential becomes unlikely.

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlikely? :wtf2:

We'll see tonight if they can get out of their offensive slump. They can't go into the ACC tourney limping. Boston College? That game was pathetic!

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta score some fucking points!!!!! Fuck!!!!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is that there's a double standard. A player loses his cool in a game and he gets ripped by everyone. An old man with years of experience does it and it's "funny" and "cool". Not just saying JB. The HC for my team did it this year too and was defended to the teeth. Coaches know better and need to keep their composure more than what we expect from the "kids".

not to mention, they are there to lead these young men...what kind of example is that setting.

Also, like you said had it been the Cuse player who jumped up and threw a tantrum like a 5 year old, he would be getting ripped left and right, and who knows maybe would have gotten a suspension. If anything, the coach needs to be held to a higher standard

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said a couple of times that's a 50/50 call. Anyone seeing this for the first time....welcome to the game of bball.

I would have much rathered a no call, but once the whistle is blown, that one is a 50/50 call.

I agree, this is 50/50, not nearly as BS as people have been making it.

And I don't care about the previous call either. This was a completely different play. Officials are not thinking about the one they called earlier on white, so next time it's on blue. At the time the official makes the call, it is what he saw. Yes, we all want consistancy, but we are not all at the same angle so we end up with differing opinions. Officials don't have replays in this case so you end up with what the guy saw.

And on the play we are talking about....even with replay, I still don't know if it's really a charge or a block. But the whistle was blown...so he has to make a call. What he saw, he saw.

That can't be a no call. It's either a charge or a block. Personally, in the heat of the action, I call charge. His left foot isn't set, but he was perpendicular to the official, tough, tough call.

To whomever said this official should be fired, obviously you've never put on stripes before, try it once with 10,000 or so people ready to cheer or jeer whichever call is made. :stfu:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention, they are there to lead these young men...what kind of example is that setting.

Also, like you said had it been the Cuse player who jumped up and threw a tantrum like a 5 year old, he would be getting ripped left and right, and who knows maybe would have gotten a suspension. If anything, the coach needs to be held to a higher standard

IMO, you are being too critical. I think we all agree that JB "lost it". He's the coach and to compare his conduct to a player's is not quite fair. It's the coaches job to criticize the refs; not the players.....yes, JB went overboard and yes the call was at best a "no call" and after viewing the replay, it was clear to me that Hood leaned into Fair as Fair was in the air. At that moment JB thought that was the game; not thinking that there was still a chance....split second thinking; because if the basket is allowed and the plus 1 makes it a tie game and Syracuse is poised to win and it would have been a huge win, in spite of Cooney and Ennis not providing much offense.

IMO, this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Had JB done that in the NCAA tournament and taken away his team's last chance to win; that's a big deal.

His players, after viewing a 68 year old JB showing that much emotion, just might thing their coach is there for them and will respond accordingly. Just a thought. Who knows, this could catapult the team into a heightened sense of emotional focus and they could win the whole thing. Tonight, we just might see a different Syracuse.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That can't be a no call. It's either a charge or a block. Personally, in the heat of the action, I call charge. His left foot isn't set, but he was perpendicular to the official, tough, tough call.

To whomever said this official should be fired, obviously you've never put on stripes before, try it once with 10,000 or so people ready to cheer or jeer whichever call is made. :stfu:

If with replay, a one hundered percent determination isn't clear, how can any call be made? That's a tough job right there.

It's incidental contact....IMO....which is worth nothing. :nod:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His players, after viewing a 68 year old JB showing that much emotion, just might think their coach is there for them and will respond accordingly. Just a thought. Who knows, this could catapult the team into a heightened sense of emotional focus and they could win the whole thing. Tonight, we just might see a different Syracuse.

Yep...I'm thinking the players liked it too. Sure hope you are right about the "different" SU. :10:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not buying that; virtually every inside play, there is a no call. If a foul was called each time there was contact, we would be treated to a game of constant FT's and no transition basketball.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying that; virtually every inside play, there is a no call. If a foul was called each time there was contact, we would be treated to a game of constant FT's and no transition basketball.

Hood ended up on the floor. Whenever a player is knocked to the ground 3 feet from a ref, you're almost certainly going to get a whistle.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boeheim's actions were embarrassing. That can happen when we put all of our emotions and passions into a moment, so I won't kill him for it.

What really disappointed me, though, was his complete lack of recantation/apology/taking responsibility in the press conference.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boeheim's actions were embarrassing. That can happen when we put all of our emotions and passions into a moment, so I won't kill him for it.

What really disappointed me, though, was his complete lack of recantation/apology/taking responsibility in the press conference.

exactly...and coach k even praised him for his actions. :L

boeheim should be a true leader and give himself a one game suspension as a teaching lesson to his team on how to behave and do the right thing.....

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hood ended up on the floor. Whenever a player is knocked to the ground 3 feet from a ref, you're almost certainly going to get a whistle.

Of course he ended up on the floor; he leaned into Fair while Fair was in the air....and IMO, a bit of a flop there....don't know for sure. Doesn't really matter, the ref called it and Syracuse has to deal with it. Not the first call I thought could have been left go at the end of a game. IMO, at that point, when in doubt, let it go. We all have the advantage of hind sight and a replay video and I have no problem with the ref making that call, just felt it was at best a "no call" and could have been called a block.....Charge? Don't agree with that.

Also, not so sure I agree that each time a player hits the floor after contact, on a lay-up; there is a whistle as more often than not on an inside play, someone is on the floor.