• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DROY: Von or Aldon?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon just leap frogged Miller IMO.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this game Aldon has to be the frontrunner. He just had a dominant game in the national spotlight.

Yep, this just made a lot of people take notice of him. Steelers have long been known for having a strong O-Line, and he killed it last night. I know it helped that Big Ben was hobbled, so he wasn't as elusive as he normally would be.... but how is that Aldon's fault?

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Based on stats you have to give it to All-done. Also, factor in his plack of playing time initially and he would have better numbers.
On a side note, we were all questioning why he wasnt playing more earlier in the year. Whatever it was, he is learning and the coaches are doing a great job with almost every player. I dont think that us fans can truly question what the coaches are doing at this point. They are all doing an amazing job.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on stats you have to give it to All-done. Also, factor in his plack of playing time initially and he would have better numbers.
On a side note, we were all questioning why he wasnt playing more earlier in the year. Whatever it was, he is learning and the coaches are doing a great job with almost every player. I dont think that us fans can truly question what the coaches are doing at this point. They are all doing an amazing job.

They can use the lack of playing time against him too... "He isn't good enough to start..." "He isn't a complete player like Von is..." You ask Bronco fans and 49ers haters, you'd probably hear one or both of these excuses against Aldon

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well Von Miller is an every down player. Aldon Smith isn't even a starter yet.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's Von Miller. Someone mentioned that playing every snap gives Miller the opportunity to rush the passer more, but that doesn't mean he DOES rush the passer more. Denver plays a different scheme. Miller has many more responsibilities in the Denver defense than Smith does in ours.

A decent, though not perfect, comparison would be the 2002 Vikings RBs.

Who was the better RB for them that year? Michael Bennett with his 1296 yards and 5 TDs, or Moe Williams with his 414 yards and 11 TDs?

Or how about the 06 Giants? Tiki Barber with his 1662 yards and 5 TDs, or Brandon Jacobs with his 423 yards and 9 TDs?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know about that. They'll realistically gravitate toward whoever has the most sacks regardless of playing time. If it's close - say within a sack, the edge might go to Aldon because the 49ers are a better team. Shouldn't work that way, but does. This was a huge performance against a very good playoff team where Aldon just destroyed an entire team. The stats show he had 7 QB hits tonight! This one might come down to the wire.

I wonder what Von Miller would have done in this defense? Not complaining or anything but as great as Aldon has been, it really makes me wonder.

yeah, sacks will likely be the largest factor? but i'd think Aldon would have to stay 2 sacks ahead of Miller?

as a starter, Miller's run D should factor in? not as much as sacks but certainly a factor.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, I hate you both for bringing up very valid arguments. With that said, my bias vote goes to Aldon

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, Aldon dropped back in coverage too, once for sure and pretty sure a second time? he defended at least one run play.

so like the fact he's learning other stuff as the season goes along.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Aldon breaks the rookie sack record he's got it. Don't think Von will be able to.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just breaking the rookie sack record doesn't mean he'd deserve DROY. And I'm saying that as president of the Aldon Smith bandwagon.

Aldon would have to have something like 4 sacks in the next 2 games to win it.

Note: I absolutely wouldn't trade Aldon Smith for Von Miller though. Von's a prefect fit up there as a 4-3 OLB. That's not as valuable as a badass Demarcus Ware - like 3-4 OLB.

Now imagine if the Niners had another double digit sack kind of pass rusher on the other side. THAT Would be nasty. Robert Mathis maybe??? :)

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just breaking the rookie sack record doesn't mean he'd deserve DROY. And I'm saying that as president of the Aldon Smith bandwagon.

Aldon would have to have something like 4 sacks in the next 2 games to win it.

Note: I absolutely wouldn't trade Aldon Smith for Von Miller though. Von's a prefect fit up there as a 4-3 OLB. That's not as valuable as a badass Demarcus Ware - like 3-4 OLB.

Now imagine if the Niners had another double digit sack kind of pass rusher on the other side. THAT Would be nasty. Robert Mathis maybe??? :)

Setting the rookie record for sacks would make Aldon the frontrunner IMO. Plus Von has been injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what if Miller breaks the rookie record too?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just want to say...

MAN it feels good to have a double digit sack master on the team again! And one who's gonna be around fo a long time! It's been way too long.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hugh Douglas is on Scott Van Pelt Show drooling over Aldon. He called SFO's PR department and asked for an autographed jersey to hang on his wall. He's convinced the guy is the real deal.....

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was just looking at PFF, and they still have Miller way up in their ROY standings.....which is basically just their per game ratings totaled up.

But 4 of their 5 writers polled did have Justin Smith as the DPOY.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just want to say...

MAN it feels good to have a double digit sack master on the team again! And one who's gonna be around fo a long time! It's been way too long.

how long is long?

we HOPE he'll be around a long time, but when his rookie contract ends......who knows?