• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DROY: Von or Aldon?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the halfway point of the season I think most people would have agreed that Miller was far and away the obvious choice for DROY, but after tonights game I think Aldon has stormed back into the conversation and taken the lead in the race for DROY. Aldon now has 1.5 more sacks on the season than Von Miller and has both forced & recovered more fumbles than Von.

With SF facing the anemic offenses of Seattle & St Louis over the remainder of the season, I think the DROY race is ALL DONE.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have both had great rookie seasons. I'm curious to see if politics has any play in it, since Von was the #2 pick and has been in the spotlight thanks to this ridiculous Tebow craze. Although I can't say that Von hasn't earned it because he certainly would be a good candidate.

If Aldon breaks Kearse's record they will have a much harder vote.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this game Aldon has to be the frontrunner. He just had a dominant game in the national spotlight.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Von Miller's still really really good, and missed some time. Aldon definitely made it a tough decision tonight. Could be a close one, but everyone else is out of the question.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von may have missed some time, but Aldon put his numbers up in a limited role for much of the first half of the season and still surpasses Von in virtually every pass rushing category.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since Aldon isn't a starter so if there sack totals are close I'm sure it will go to Von Miller.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know about that. They'll realistically gravitate toward whoever has the most sacks regardless of playing time. If it's close - say within a sack, the edge might go to Aldon because the 49ers are a better team. Shouldn't work that way, but does. This was a huge performance against a very good playoff team where Aldon just destroyed an entire team. The stats show he had 7 QB hits tonight! This one might come down to the wire.

I wonder what Von Miller would have done in this defense? Not complaining or anything but as great as Aldon has been, it really makes me wonder.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said aldon will have 14-16 sacks

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know about that. They'll realistically gravitate toward whoever has the most sacks regardless of playing time. If it's close - say within a sack, the edge might go to Aldon because the 49ers are a better team. Shouldn't work that way, but does. This was a huge performance against a very good playoff team where Aldon just destroyed an entire team. The stats show he had 7 QB hits tonight! This one might come down to the wire.

I wonder what Von Miller would have done in this defense? Not complaining or anything but as great as Aldon has been, it really makes me wonder.

I thought the comparison to Haley was quite appropriate - This kid is the real deal!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
miller is an every down player. to me it isn't even a discussion

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon even had a sack taken away today with a late illegal contact 30 yards down field as he was bringing down Big Ben...

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't understand that line of reasoning. You have a part timer with more sacks than a full time player who gets more plays to compile sacks.

Think the better argument for Miller is that Aldon has a better crew around him making it easier for him to get sacks.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon even had a sack taken away today with a late illegal contact 30 yards down field as he was bringing down Big Ben...

That was a bullshit call. One the Steelers always seem to get.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't understand that line of reasoning. You have a part timer with more sacks than a full time player who gets more plays to compile sacks.

Think the better argument for Miller is that Aldon has a better crew around him making it easier for him to get sacks.

Dumervil, Bailey and Dawkins might disagree with this assessment. Having said that, if the Broncos get any more press this year, I might have to start hijacking school buses.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It think that a section the voters will look at his qb hits. To see what Aldon has done in limited time when it comes to those+sacks should get him at least a tie with Miller. Tonight he had 7 qb hits.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its valid to argue that Miller deserves recognition for being an every down player, as Miller also has to also drop back into coverage and generally do more things on the football field than Fangio asks of Aldon.

I think Miller gets DROY if both of them close out the season with very similar stats, but Aldon has been hot as of late & I think he will continue to dominate against the Seahawks and the Rams. Either way, the 49ers have a player that will be fun to watch for years to come :pop2:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm waiting for Crimson's weekly "My thought of the game" thread so I can share my opinion.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller is an every down guy, but that's because they don't have as good a LB group as the Niners. Aldon was a guy that had huge upside, as we can see, but left after his sophmore season for the NFL. He was eased into the lineup. He has made the most of his opportunities. At one point in the year, I think about 8 games in, he was the most efficient LB/DE of all time in terms of snaps to sacks/QB hits and pressures. That's not really saying much in the grand scheme of things, but it shows just how effective he is every time he is in the game. (I heard that on the radio)

I am saying purely off of what I think the voters will do, I think right now its Aldon. Miller has been out, and Smith just did all that on a Monday night game. He will have a ton of momentum so if he keeps it up I think it is his. I could also see one of those situations where they give it to 2 guys. Hasn't that happened before with rookie of the year, and also the NFL MVP? I think it was Favre and Barry Sanders or something like that one year.