• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft needs

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if all are gone maybe another top player drops. I won't call for a trade down until we are at #27.

Besides what if they trade back say 10 spots and the player they wanted at 27 goes before they pick?

I agree. I definitely would not advocate a trade back until we get to #27 and see what is available. Who knows, maybe a guy like Danny Shelton falls? Highly unlikely, but again, who knows?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me clarify one thing. If the team feels we are going to have to reach for the player they want and another team is basically begging to trade up to 27 with a great offer trade away and hope that reach is still on the board. No more of us getting raped in the trade.

I assume you are talking about the 2013 trade with the 49ers? I would do that trade 10 times out 10, if given the opportunity to do so. I definitely don't see Dallas as being raped in that trade. The only problem with that draft is Escobar. Larry Warford in the second would have made that one helluva draft.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you are talking about the 2013 trade with the 49ers? I would do that trade 10 times out 10, if given the opportunity to do so. I definitely don't see Dallas as being raped in that trade. The only problem with that draft is Escobar. Larry Warford in the second would have made that one helluva draft.

You'll do it again because we know the outcome. When the trade was made I didn't like the value we got but I understood why. Dallas wanted the trade more than the 9ers after Vacaro
went off the board a few picks earlier. I believe the 9ers were giving more before that. As soon as he was gone the 9ers pulled out and jerry had to pay dearly to trade.

We can all agree it worked out but the trade wasn't fair value. How often can we get that lucky?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll do it again because we know the outcome. When the trade was made I didn't like the value we got but I understood why. Dallas wanted the trade more than the 9ers after Vacaro
went off the board a few picks earlier. I believe the 9ers were giving more before that. As soon as he was gone the 9ers pulled out and jerry had to pay dearly to trade.

We can all agree it worked out but the trade wasn't fair value. How often can we get that lucky?

If you're going by the draft trade value chart, then yes, Dallas didn't receive fair value. But I am more of the opinion that the market is fluid, and the market said that our #18 pick was only worth #31 and a 3rd rounder in that particular draft.

The value of an item that you are trying to sell is determined by what someone else is willing to pay -- not what you think it is worth.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would like to see the Cowboys draft a premier RB.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going by the draft trade value chart, then yes, Dallas didn't receive fair value. But I am more of the opinion that the market is fluid, and the market said that our #18 pick was only worth #31 and a 3rd rounder in that particular draft.

The value of an item that you are trying to sell is determined by what someone else is willing to pay -- not what you think it is worth.

I understand the Trade Chart is just a guide but we were so far off the chart it wasn't funny. I'm happy it worked out but I didn't like the deal at the time. All I wanted was a OLman in the first that year and as soon as the last of the top OL went off the board I called for a trade down, just didn't think we'd get taken like we did.

We rolled the dice and and a 7 came up. Count our blessings but I'd rather not try that role again.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but if Gordon and Gurley is gone wait until later.
I hope Gordon is still available when we pick in round one.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB, D Line, Corner, if we don't get 2 out of 3 in the first 3 rounds something went terribly, terribly wrong.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would like to see the Cowboys draft a premier RB.

Well duh!

But it seems we have an Oline right now that is going to make just about anybody look pretty good, and our problem with getting to the top doesn't seem to be on that side of the ball. We can't get to the QB. We made some moves to help but we aren't even close to being a D that is SB worthy. That is where we need to be spending our draft picks. D line and Corners/Safeties is where we need to be in the top rounds. In the lower rounds go after RB, backup linemen and if someone is there worthy, a QB in the middle rounds.

I don't know the who's for this but that would be my strategy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB, D Line, Corner, if we don't get 2 out of 3 in the first 3 rounds something went terribly, terribly wrong.

In an ideal world, but you can't force picks. Sometimes the position you want is there and sometimes it's not. You take the best player that can help you long term, not short term. Maybe that is CB and maybe it's a position that doesn't look like a big need like WR. Not saying any of us are wanting a WR and certainly not in the first, but it all comes down to how good the scouts think these guys are. They may not like the corners and they may love positions that we don't need right now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well duh!

But it seems we have an Oline right now that is going to make just about anybody look pretty good, and our problem with getting to the top doesn't seem to be on that side of the ball. We can't get to the QB. We made some moves to help but we aren't even close to being a D that is SB worthy. That is where we need to be spending our draft picks. D line and Corners/Safeties is where we need to be in the top rounds. In the lower rounds go after RB, backup linemen and if someone is there worthy, a QB in the middle rounds.

You should apply for GM.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well duh!

The bolded is what concerns me because I keep reading and hearing it over and over. I do think we have a good OL, a very good OL. But, I'm not convinced they are quite as good as everyone seems to now think. What if Murray just turns out to be a HOF type back?

I guess my point is that if we go into the season thinking we have an OL that is going to allow any RB to give us a dominant running game we could be in for a long season if we were wrong. That doesn't mean I wanted to give Murray $8M per year and it doesn't mean I am not hoping for a top RB out of this draft or that we are in trouble because Murray isn't here. Just that I think the legend of this OL may have surpassed their actual ability and I'm concerned that the team may think exactly what you wrote above.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your concerns. But what if Murray wasn't all that and because of the line he got over 1800 yards. Goes both ways. And I am not saying any bum can get 1500 yards but the line is good and they are nasty and they are young and they are hungry. I just don't see the problem being this side of the ball. Now would I be all butt hurt if we drafted a RB in the second, not really because I don't see Murrays real replacement on the team yet.

Another year under Linahan and I think they will be better. Another year away from Garret being the signal caller will be better for the Offense. IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray's career YPC was 5.0 before last year with OLs that weren't as good and last year it was 4.7. Now we all know the more you get the ball the harder it is to have a good YPC, but my point is more that it wasn't a one year thing. It was just about being healthy with him. I think they played it right. Can't give Murray that contract. I just want know that there is a desire to have another RB in the mix. Early pick would be great IMO.

I'm very happy with McFadden coming here on a relatively cheap deal and competing for a spot and carries even though I'm not sure I think he can help us. But, here's one that I've said before and I still think it. I would have had the team doctors check out Ahmad Bradshaw and if they gave the OK sign him instead of McFadden. He would come real cheap. Let him play 3rd downs and give him no more than about 8 carries a game and hope he can stay healthy (not like McFadden can stay healthy either). Or even better convince Buffalo to trade us Fred Jackson. Fred Jackson would be great to throw into the mix with Williams, Dunbar and Randle. But, obviously our best bet is to draft a stud RB. Let's hope we pick the right one. I think the guys we have on the roster are good enough to ease a rookie in slowly if need be. Just worried about 3rd downs...

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just worried about 3rd downs...

This right here is why I am pretty sold on the idea that Jay Ajayi is the best fit for Dallas. Ajayi, IMO, is probably the most ready of any of the rookie RB's to step right in and be capable of playing all 3 downs. Ajayi is a decent receiver out of the backfield, and has the size to take on a blitzing LB at the line of scrimmage. He may not have the elite top end speed of some of the other guys, but Ajayi turned in a solid 40 time for a guy his size. With guys like McFadden, Randall, and Dunbar on the roster, I don't think Dallas really needs a speedster.

rd 1: CB/DL
rd 2: Jay Ajayi

All that said, I still wouldn't mind Melvin Gordon in the 1st.