• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft needs

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here is why I am pretty sold on the idea that Jay Ajayi is the best fit for Dallas. Ajayi, IMO, is probably the most ready of any of the rookie RB's to step right in and be capable of playing all 3 downs. Ajayi is a decent receiver out of the backfield, and has the size to take on a blitzing LB at the line of scrimmage. He may not have the elite top end speed of some of the other guys, but Ajayi turned in a solid 40 time for a guy his size. With guys like McFadden, Randall, and Dunbar on the roster, I don't think Dallas really needs a speedster.

rd 1: CB/DL
rd 2: Jay Ajayi

All that said, I still wouldn't mind Melvin Gordon in the 1st.
It's always the combo of which two you would rather have. Marcus Peters and Jay Ajayi or Melvin Gordon and Jalen Collins. I'd be happy with either of those scenario's, if it fell that way

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here is why I am pretty sold on the idea that Jay Ajayi is the best fit for Dallas. Ajayi, IMO, is probably the most ready of any of the rookie RB's to step right in and be capable of playing all 3 downs. Ajayi is a decent receiver out of the backfield, and has the size to take on a blitzing LB at the line of scrimmage. He may not have the elite top end speed of some of the other guys, but Ajayi turned in a solid 40 time for a guy his size. With guys like McFadden, Randall, and Dunbar on the roster, I don't think Dallas really needs a speedster.

rd 1: CB/DL
rd 2: Jay Ajayi

All that said, I still wouldn't mind Melvin Gordon in the 1st.

you know my gut right now is saying that we go CB & FS with our first 2 picks. don't have anyone in mind but those seem to be the most need positions to me and then RB in the 3rd

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know my gut right now is saying that we go CB & FS with our first 2 picks. don't have anyone in mind but those seem to be the most need positions to me and then RB in the 3rd

Very well could happen. Dallas has a lot of flexibility to go in many different directions.

If they go CB/S in the first two rounds you could possibly see some names like...

1st: K.Johnson, M.Peters, J.Collins, B.Jones
2nd: D.Randall, E.Rowe, A.Harris, Q.Rollins

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd: T. Coleman, J. Ajayi
3rd: D.Randall, E.Rowe, A.Harris, Q.Rollins

This would make me very happy. I like either of these safeties in the 3rd, along with a few D-line prospects that could be there as well. Maybe we are able to move back from the 27th pick and aquire another 3rd.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd: T. Coleman, J. Ajayi
3rd: D.Randall, E.Rowe, A.Harris, Q.Rollins

This would make me very happy. I like either of these safeties in the 3rd, along with a few D-line prospects that could be there as well. Maybe we are able to move back from the 27th pick and aquire another 3rd.

I would be ecstatic about that draft, but it seems like a pipe dream. Al the guys you listed in the 3rd could very well be gone by the end of the 2nd round.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've seen this Randall kid linked to just about every team, doubt he makes it to the 3rd. But Eric Rowe just might make it to us. Not as much of a ball hawk, but has better size and about the same skill otherwise. Listed just about everywhere as a CB/FS tweener. Spent time at Utah doing both, so not polished at either. Probably will take him a year, so I could see him falling to the end of day 2.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said he wasn't 1st round material WHEN HE IS HEALTHY.

Drafting 101 champ......NEVER take an injured player in the first round that can't IMMEDIATELY start and impact your roster.

This isn't rocket science. Drafting Gurley, and giving him first round money, is a mistake, unless you are CONVINCED he can stay healthy. Newsflash.......he's had 2 major injuries already. He will not be a longterm player in the NFL, you can bet on that - not as a workhorse.
I agree that's why Gordon would be a better pick IMO. As we get closer to the draft I'm going to back off of my strong desire to take a rb in the 1st round only because if you miss on drafting an early round back it really hurts the team. If there's a pass rusher who slip to use say Gregory or a CB that would be a better selection. This draft has lots of RB and WR talent. So lets shore up the defense early and get a back in the 2nd or 3rd round. I will be happy to have Gordon though, so i'm not against taking him in the 1st.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping the "bartender" spikes jerrah's drink with sleep aids just as the draft kicks off. Let his football people make the pick Thursday night. I think if Gregory falls you have to snag him. Otherwise I want the fast as hell cb from Florida state or peters from washington. This secondary is atrocious and it would be wise to burn 2 high picks to replace the trash we have back there. Also no more fucking small school projects. We could have those wasted picks on a good punter

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be less of a consensus this year than most. Usually, all the talking heads mocks look very similar. This year, it's all over the place, from the 2nd pickon . What's interesting to me, is that if you were talking about NEED, the Cowboys might be able to get one of the top 10-15 or so guys in the draft that could help them. I was thinking from a strictly need standpoint, if the Cowboys had the #1 overall pick, what would their board look like? Not the QB's IMO. No WR's, TE's or C's. I'd say

CB Trae Waynes
DT Leonard Williams
DE Dante Fowler
DT Danny Shelton
OLB Vic Beasley
DE Bud DuPree
OLB Shane Ray
S Landon Collins
RB Todd Gurley
CB Marcus Peters
OT Ereck Flowers
CB Kevin Johnson
DT Malcolm Brown
RB Melvin Gordon
DE Randy Gregory

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones: Defensive help, not running back, is major need in draft
Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
jerryjones.jpeg
AP
The Cowboys have been linked with several of the draft’s top running backs in the weeks leading up to the draft, but owner Jerry Jones downplayed the team’s need for backfield help during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday.

Jones said, via David Helman of the team’s website, that the team is interested in adding a running back to a backfield fronted by Darren McFadden, but that the need is not “not urgent.” Improving the defense, on the other hand, is something that Jones characterized as something that the Cowboys have to do “by hook or crook.”

It’s a sensible approach to take. The Cowboys have a strong offensive line and passing game, which creates confidence that they’ll be able to generate a strong running game even if they don’t come away from the draft with Todd Gurley orMelvin Gordon. It’s also thought to be a deep group of runners, which helps the Cowboys wait before pulling the trigger on a back.

The defense, on the other hand, needs reinforcing in various spots after outperforming expectations last season. Jones also suggested that some of the help on both sides of the ball will come after the Cowboys move around the draft board, saying that being at No. 27 raises the likelihood that the Cowboys will make a trade before Thursday night is out.

If the Cowboys were to move down and add picks on the second and/or third day of the draft, it seems likely that they’d use one on a back given McFadden’s injury history and the general trend of using multiple backs in today’s NFL.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones should trade out of the 1st round and pick up a 2 & 3 pick. This is a deep draft for RB, WR, DT and DB.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones: Defensive help, not running back, is major need in draft
Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
jerryjones.jpeg
AP
The Cowboys have been linked with several of the draft’s top running backs in the weeks leading up to the draft, but owner Jerry Jones downplayed the team’s need for backfield help during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday.

Jones said, via David Helman of the team’s website, that the team is interested in adding a running back to a backfield fronted by Darren McFadden, but that the need is not “not urgent.” Improving the defense, on the other hand, is something that Jones characterized as something that the Cowboys have to do “by hook or crook.”

It’s a sensible approach to take. The Cowboys have a strong offensive line and passing game, which creates confidence that they’ll be able to generate a strong running game even if they don’t come away from the draft with Todd Gurley orMelvin Gordon. It’s also thought to be a deep group of runners, which helps the Cowboys wait before pulling the trigger on a back.

The defense, on the other hand, needs reinforcing in various spots after outperforming expectations last season. Jones also suggested that some of the help on both sides of the ball will come after the Cowboys move around the draft board, saying that being at No. 27 raises the likelihood that the Cowboys will make a trade before Thursday night is out.

If the Cowboys were to move down and add picks on the second and/or third day of the draft, it seems likely that they’d use one on a back given McFadden’s injury history and the general trend of using multiple backs in today’s NFL.
Gotta say, if the Cowboys went that route and went D, D, D, it would be hard to complain. With the guys on the roster, if the Cowboys pick a runner late, I'd bet it's a big back. I'm interested in Zach Zenner. I don't care what level you play, 3 straight 2000 yard seasons is impressive

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems jerry is letting folks know we'll draft a 5th round RB, and go with an RB committee this season

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I smell a rat. I never believe pre-draft pressers just before the draft...ever. It's all just about creating false impressions to throw off teams, nothing more. You simply have to take everything said with a grain of salt. My gut tells me, and I may be wrong here, that they may try and make a move ahead of the Lions if Gurley and/or Gordon makes it past the Eagles (definitely Gurley), to jump ahead of the Lions/Cards/Ravens whom may all be looking at RB. If not, I could easily see them trading back into the top of the 2nd round to have a pick in the top of both 2nd and 3rd rounds (along with their late 2nd and 3rd rounders). This draft is deep in the mid rounds, so not reaching for need if their 1st round grades are off the board, is a realistic option IMO, and a real possibility.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "moving up or down" comments in their predraft presser was also designed to put teams on notice that they are open for business when it comes to wheeling and dealing in this particular draft I'm sure.

It is also possible that Randall gets suspended for 6 games if the investigation turns up bad and charges are made against him soon...and he may even be cut after the draft. They simply can't be comfortable with DMac as their workhorse heading into the season. If they feel good about one of the second tier RBs in the 2nd round, a trade down is even more likely IMO.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant Randle....typing on an iPhone.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, if the Cowboys went that route and went D, D, D, it would be hard to complain. With the guys on the roster, if the Cowboys pick a runner late, I'd bet it's a big back. I'm interested in Zach Zenner. I don't care what level you play, 3 straight 2000 yard seasons is impressive
I don't believe in drafting for need. The Cowboys should draft the best players available.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems jerry is letting folks know we'll draft a 5th round RB, and go with an RB committee this season

I would be fine with that as long as we took players we liked and helped the team in other areas. I've never felt we would take a RB in the first couple of rounds or that we'd force the position. But who knows, I'm sure they have a couple backs they like and if those guys fall a little I'm sure they will (and should) pounce. Let them all fight for carries. It's amazing what competition can do sometimes. I still think Williams has something in him to help this team and I'm a huge proponent of getting Dunbar 5 plus touches a game because he adds a dimension no one else on the team has