• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, looking forward to the pick.

I'm predicting Justin Fields because i think they've been 'sandbagging'. They're sand bagging because they don't want the Jets to draft him.
This is where your argument falls apart. The Jets have no concern whatsoever about the 49ets plans at #3. They are picking ahead of the 49ets and would just take Fields if they want him
That would really make things interesting since that would give the 49ers the option to go with Wilson. Don’t see it happening though since they haven’t attended any Wilson workouts
No, it’ll be Jones and I just hope it’s not Lance

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they want everyone to believe Mac Jones is the pick as well. At first it was likely to protect against another team trading with Jets for #2 to leapfrog us, but after the Jets made it clear they were taking a QB it's been all about keeping the Jets focus on Zach Wilson and away from Fields or Lance. Even if the Jets do something crazy like Draft Justin Fields I don't think we take Zach Wilson. I don't think Shanahan and Lynch have really giving much thought to the possibility.

Anyone else notice how any time the conversation starts to turn toward Fields or Lance a report is out by the next day from some reporter claiming Mac Jones is still the pick? Why are they reporting that so suddenly and Why is a source within the organization pushing that story out? The 49ers have not wanted anyone to believe it's anything other than Jones. Which ever they covet out of Fields and Lance they don't want any other team looking to hard at getting or being ahead of them to take.
Ever notice how this "source" is never named? It just nonsense from the talking heads trying to keep you interested in watching their shows about the draft. They say it comes down to Lance and Jones but it'll be Jones if for no other reason that there is just too much uncertainty with lance. He played one game in the last two years and it went like this:

"Lance is certainly intriguing but his team only played in one game in 2020 and he went 15-of-30 for 149 yards, two touchdowns and a pick against Central Arkansas while adding 143 yards and two more scores on the ground."

Those stats against Central Arkansas? LOL. He'll be like a deer in the headlights in the NFL. Even the excellent stats from 2019 came against weak college competition.
Jones faced the closest thing to NFL talent the college game has to offer and was dominant. If the Niners don't pick him and he slips to New England, watch out for them.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever notice how this "source" is never named? It just nonsense from the talking heads trying to keep you interested in watching their shows about the draft. They say it comes down to Lance and Jones but it'll be Jones if for no other reason that there is just too much uncertainty with lance. He played one game in the last two years and it went like this:

"Lance is certainly intriguing but his team only played in one game in 2020 and he went 15-of-30 for 149 yards, two touchdowns and a pick against Central Arkansas while adding 143 yards and two more scores on the ground."

Those stats against Central Arkansas? LOL. He'll be like a deer in the headlights in the NFL. Even the excellent stats from 2019 came against weak college competition.
Jones faced the closest thing to NFL talent the college game has to offer and was dominant. If the Niners don't pick him and he slips to New England, watch out for them.

How many Superstar QB's in college end up being All-Pro's in the NFL??? The majority of them end up being major bust. A lot of the best NFL QB's end up being guys that flew some what under the radar throughout college. How many people knew who Mahomes was before the Draft??? No one really knew who Brady was. Then you have guys we all knew like Leinart, Bradford, RGIII, Vince Young, Tebow, Manziel, Haskins, Darnold, Winston, Mariota, Locker, and Ponder that ended up as major bust despite being very successful college QB's.

I'll give you that Mac Jones could be considered an under the radar guy giving he played back up to Hurts and Tua who got a lot more media attention than him. A lot of people did not even believe Jones would start for Alabama this past year. They had already anointed Byrce Young.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is going on with this Draft year.

I saw the Aaron Rodgers rumor last night and kind of blew it off. On one hand it makes sense to see if Green Bay is willing to entertain an offer the day before the Draft, but also a bit weird if the 49ers were really sold on someone at #3. The story wasn't blowing up all over the place though so I took it as nothing more than a click bait rumor.

Yet now it's Breaking News that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay....
Is this shit actually happening??? Are we trading for Rodgers tonight??? Has this been a well calculated plan all along between the organization and Rodgers??? The timing on all of this is just so perfect to put the maximum amount of pressure on the Packers with little time to react.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've still have no idea who we're taking at 3. It wouldn't shock me, not even a little, if we took any of Fields, Lance, or Jones. We see coaches and front offices screw up when they get cute and try to show everyone how smart they are--how they saw something no one else did, etc. (ala our super-high rating of Foster, trading up for Pettis, Beathard, J.Williams, etc.). Gotta hope that Shanny doesn't fall into that trap (and that he's learned from some of his prior misses).

From the bigger picture, our list of picks:
  • Round 1, pick 3
  • Round 2, pick 43
  • Round 3, pick 102
  • Round 4, pick 117
  • Round 5, pick 155
  • Round 5, pick 172
  • Round 5, pick 180
  • Round 6, pick 194
  • Round 7, pick 230
Like others have said, considering our roster, I could see us moving up for some targeted players at specific positions. However, I'm not sold on the idea that we'll move back into Rd 1 b/c most of the reports have been saying that there aren't that many players rated as 1st rounders this year--I've read anywhere from 12 to about 20. Those same reports all tend to agree that the players from 20 to more than halfway into the 2nd rd will be rated about the same, so a move into rd 1 would have to be about getting major value in the move up (i.e. cheap) and/or the 5th year option. Besides, while our 2nd is the 11th pick in the round, our 3rd is near the very end of rd 3 and to move up from 43 to even 30 would cost us our 3rd and 4th as per the chart. I don't see us paying that kind of price to get back into Rd 1. If we move up, I think it'll be likely to happen in rd 3 and 4 where the value of our 3 5th rounders can be maximized.

Aside from QB, we're still gonna be needing a CB, Center, Edge, WR, S, etc.
--We need a CB who can contribute immediately. Mosely is hit or miss and our best CB, Verrett, is on a 1 year deal. Gaping holes.
--Same at S, with Tartt being on a 1 year deal, Ward constantly hurt, and we have no good way to replace either.
--Mack is 35, likely to be cut after 1 season, and we'll still need help at OG and backup C, so it'd be nice to get a OG/OC combo player
--Edge, we can't count on Ford, Bosa is coming back from injury, Armstead (LOL as a rusher), Blair is on a 1yr deal
--WR, we lost our #3 WR, Samuel has been dinged up, and Hurd hasn't played a snap in 2yrs.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many Superstar QB's in college end up being All-Pro's in the NFL??? The majority of them end up being major bust. A lot of the best NFL QB's end up being guys that flew some what under the radar throughout college. How many people knew who Mahomes was before the Draft??? No one really knew who Brady was. Then you have guys we all knew like Leinart, Bradford, RGIII, Vince Young, Tebow, Manziel, Haskins, Darnold, Winston, Mariota, Locker, and Ponder that ended up as major bust despite being very successful college QB's.

I'll give you that Mac Jones could be considered an under the radar guy giving he played back up to Hurts and Tua who got a lot more media attention than him. A lot of people did not even believe Jones would start for Alabama this past year. They had already anointed Byrce Young.
That is hard to argue with but I feel like Jones is the most pro-ready QB. I can't wait to see what happens tonight.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with you that it doesn't matter whether a guy was great in college or not. the NFL is an entirely different animal. All that matters is whether you and your skills fit and get results in the NFL.

In terms of PB-level Qbs who were college stars? That's a rather wide range of talent, from 1st ballot HOFers to a guy who was well above average for a few years in the NFL. But, from what I know, going back to about 89:
Elway, P.Manning, Luck, Aikman, Rivers, Ryan, Newton, Eli, Palmer, V.Young, D.Watson, McNabb, McNair, L.Jackson, Griffin before injury, Vick, Brees, Dalton, Collins. Looking like Kyler Murray and Herbert will be on that list and the jury still out on Mayfield, Hurtz, Burrow, and Tua.

Arguments like that remind me another popular argument, but one that holds no water at all--the ever-popular "yea, well, how many top 10 picks ever won a SB?"

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is going on with this Draft year.

I saw the Aaron Rodgers rumor last night and kind of blew it off. On one hand it makes sense to see if Green Bay is willing to entertain an offer the day before the Draft, but also a bit weird if the 49ers were really sold on someone at #3. The story wasn't blowing up all over the place though so I took it as nothing more than a click bait rumor.

Yet now it's Breaking News that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay....
Is this shit actually happening??? Are we trading for Rodgers tonight??? Has this been a well calculated plan all along between the organization and Rodgers??? The timing on all of this is just so perfect to put the maximum amount of pressure on the Packers with little time to react.
I'll take Rodgers over any of those young college QBs

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Rodgers over any of those young college QBs
At this point I probably would as well, but it depends on what it would take past #3 and Jimmy to get it done. Rodgers gives us the best chance to win within the next 2 to 3 years. A Rookie QB extends our window out to 4 to 5 years due to the cheaper contract assuming they're not a bust, but would likely not provide immediate results.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I probably would as well, but it depends on what it would take past #3 and Jimmy to get it done. Rodgers gives us the best chance to win within the next 2 to 3 years. A Rookie QB extends our window out to 4 to 5 years due to the cheaper contract assuming they're not a bust, but would likely not provide immediate results.
I hope they don't take Lance. The idiot has shades on at the draft.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God we didn't trade 2 future 1st for a guy that we could have traded back from #12 to take. We really dodged a bullet tonight.

I just hope Lance ends up being better than Fields.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Trey Lance. May you be all that and more

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God we didn't trade 2 future 1st for a guy that we could have traded back from #12 to take. We really dodged a bullet tonight.

I just hope Lance ends up being better than Fields.
Massive mistake by the 49ers. There is a reason why Lance didn't play major college football. Either he's too dumb to get into a good school or he lacks the talent. He's just an athlete playing QB, he's not a QB.
Additionally, all teams know now that the 49ers have to get rid of Garoppolo because they mortgaged the future of the franchise on Lance. They fucked themselves there as well because now they can't get any value in trade for him because teams know they have to get rid of Garoppolo.

Perfect scenario for Garoppolo though. He has a no trade clause so he can reject any trade offer to a team he doesn't want to go to forcing the 49ers to cut him and then he goes exactly where he wants to go and the 49ers, stupidly get nothing for him. Unbelievable. All this for a guy who won't be in the league in three years.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massive mistake by the 49ers. There is a reason why Lance didn't play major college football. Either he's too dumb to get into a good school or he lacks the talent. He's just an athlete playing QB, he's not a QB.
Additionally, all teams know now that the 49ers have to get rid of Garoppolo because they mortgaged the future of the franchise on Lance. They fucked themselves there as well because now they can't get any value in trade for him because teams know they have to get rid of Garoppolo.

Perfect scenario for Garoppolo though. He has a no trade clause so he can reject any trade offer to a team he doesn't want to go to forcing the 49ers to cut him and then he goes exactly where he wants to go and the 49ers, stupidly get nothing for him. Unbelievable. All this for a guy who won't be in the league in three years.
Lance had tenders from Ivy League schools. I doubt he's dumb.

Jimmy G will be the starter next year and best case scenario for him and us is that the competition drives him to be better. We have a great season and he boost his value to the rest of the league.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance had tenders from Ivy League schools. I doubt he's dumb.

Jimmy G will be the starter next year and best case scenario for him and us is that the competition drives him to be better. We have a great season and he boost his value to the rest of the league.
He has no value to the 49ers as I showed earlier. They have to trade or cut garoppolo because Lance is the guy next year. Teams know this and will wait til the 49ers are forced to cut him. Garoppolo has a no trade and can reject any deal he doesn’t like The best they can hope for is a desperate team will give a 5th rounder for him and he doesn’t have to accept it

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has no value to the 49ers as I showed earlier. They have to trade or cut garoppolo because Lance is the guy next year. Teams know this and will wait til the 49ers are forced to cut him. Garoppolo has a no trade and can reject any deal he doesn’t like The best they can hope for is a desperate team will give a 5th rounder for him and he doesn’t have to accept it
Did the Chiefs get value for Alex Smith? Did we get value for Alex Smith? The Chiefs and Skins knew he was being replaced and had little value to his team, but the contract was team friendly and making the trade meant avoiding any type of a bidding war. I mean the Jets just got way more value than expected for Sam Darnold who has yet to prove anything in the NFL.

If the 49ers trade Jimmy G next year he'll have 1 year left on his deal. If he play well there will be a QB needy team that would love to trade for a proven guy with 1 year left on his current deal. He plays well for the new team and they can work on tagging him or extending him to a contract that makes sense for them. He fails with his new team and their not crushed under his the weight of his contract the following season.

Even if Lance replaces Jimmy this year and Jimmy ends up having Zero trade value it's not a huge loss for us. We only gave up a 2nd round pick for him. He got us to the Super Bowl once so I'd say that was good value for a 2nd round pick.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England Patriots
New England Patriots: Mac Jones, QB, Alabama - D Grade
Yuck. I can't fail the Patriots because they're getting "value" with a quarterback some thought would go third overall. That said, several teams we spoke to had Jones in the second round. One had him pegged as a third-day prospect! Jones is an Andy Dalton with DUIs. There's no upside with him. He'll need to be surrounded with an all-star cast to reach the playoffs consistently, which was the exact case with Dalton.
WalterFootball Draft Grades

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is where your argument falls apart. The Jets have no concern whatsoever about the 49ets plans at #3. They are picking ahead of the 49ets and would just take Fields if they want him
That would really make things interesting since that would give the 49ers the option to go with Wilson. Don’t see it happening though since they haven’t attended any Wilson workouts
No, it’ll be Jones and I just hope it’s not Lance
Umm..................ok, we were both WRONG!