• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones completed an impressive 77.4 percent of his passes last season against some good competition. Fields completed 70.2 percent of his passes. In 2019, during his last full season, Lance completed 66.9 percent of his passes.

"So, [Jones doesn't have] the arm strength, not the great athlete," Jeremiah continued. "Obviously, you hear about how smart he is, how quick he processes, all those things. But if accuracy is the be-all, end-all, the guy completes 77 percent of his passes. He's the most accurate guy right now. So, that's why, in my opinion, that's why Kyle is where he is on this evaluation."

Jeremiah added: "I just personally believe that both Trey and Justin, while they might not be at Mac Jones' standard of accuracy right now, I think they can get there. I think they can get there. I know Mac Jones is never going to acquire the athleticism that those two kids have."

I would accept 70.2 accuracy in return for extending plays and the ability to run for 1st downs if needed? Not only running for 1st downs, but running for a few long 1st downs (3rd and 8).

Now an accuracy of 77.4 is VERY good and will win games too. I don't view Jones as a poor prospect at all, theres a lot to be said for his intangibles. But we traded up.........................

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: Is it fair to say that as the 49ers offense is currently constructed, Mac Jones is a more seamless fit than Justin Fields?

MORA Jr.: "Probably. And he's probably a bit more polished and defined. But I'm a big fan of Kyle Shanahan. I feel like he can take Fields and make him seamless very quickly. And he's harder to prepare for if you're a defensive coordinator, because he can run. So every third down, if you want to play 2-man coverage (two deep safeties with man coverage underneath) and Fields is the quarterback, you have to have a pass rush that is designed to take care of him as well -- you have to spy him or run games that clog the running lanes. That's not easy for a coordinator. You have to play single-high-safety stuff, and if one of your corners is hurting, now you're leaving him isolated. If you're down in the red zone and they're going to run the zone read, you have to school your guys on how to take care of the quarterback. It becomes a mess. It's hard to be a defensive coordinator coming up with a scheme to defend a quarterback who can beat you with his legs."

This is why you trade up this high, to make it harder for teams to defend you, especially in the play-offs. We wouldn't ask Fields to run much cause just the threat of a called run, makes them defend it. This is how a QB can make up a little bit, for a less than steller roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Drafting Mac Jones at #3 after what we Traded will be worst than taking Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

I get the gist.

I would expect Mac Jones to do well in the 49er offense so won't be devastated' if he's picked. Nothing wrong with accuracy, timing, able to see the field, etc etc. with intangibles. For all we know he might turn out 'Drew Brees'?

The issue with we fans is that the amount of draft capital spent is supposed to get "better than JG" PLUS extras?! For me, 'extras' is extending plays and/or running for 1st downs. i'd expect the other two to do well in the 49ers offense too, but they bring this 'extra'.

If....IF we don't draft Fields, unfortunately we won't know why for years. There is no way Shannahan is going to talk about the other QBs once the selection is made.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the gist.

I would expect Mac Jones to do well in the 49er offense so won't be devastated' if he's picked. Nothing wrong with accuracy, timing, able to see the field, etc etc. with intangibles. For all we know he might turn out 'Drew Brees'?

The issue with we fans is that the amount of draft capital spent is supposed to get "better than JG" PLUS extras?! For me, 'extras' is extending plays and/or running for 1st downs. i'd expect the other two to do well in the 49ers offense too, but they bring this 'extra'.

If....IF we don't draft Fields, unfortunately we won't know why for years. There is no way Shannahan is going to talk about the other QBs once the selection is made.

Unfortunately a QB that will do well in the system isn't going to beat the likes of Mahomes, we've already seen that with Jimmy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
“People (ask), ‘What’s so elite about Mac Jones?’” Simms said. “And I say, ‘Easy: The way he plays the quarterback position is elite.’”

Simms described Jones as the most accurate passer and best decision-maker in the draft. He lauded Jones’ ability to go through his reads and deliver the football on target.

One of the knocks on Jones is his arm strength, which clearly lags behind Lance and Jones. Simms says Jones can make all the throws without requiring a lot of room in the pocket to operate.

Hmmm, the part in bold is very interesting. Isn't this what Shannahan thought CJ Beathard would be good at?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately a QB that will do well in the system isn't going to beat the likes of Mahomes, we've already seen that with Jimmy.
Yeah i know. Tom Brady gets credit for winning the SB but if it weren't for that defense and pass rush..................he wouldn't have done the 'extra' to win. Similarly with Jones, you just don't get the feeling he can do anything extra to win big games?

I'm all for Justin Fields and still believing they'll draft him BUT, if it is Mac Jones not going to be devastated. A little dissapointed yes, devastated no.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i know. Tom Brady gets credit for winning the SB but if it weren't for that defense and pass rush..................he wouldn't have done the 'extra' to win. Similarly with Jones, you just don't get the feeling he can do anything extra to win big games?

I'm all for Justin Fields and still believing they'll draft him BUT, if it is Mac Jones not going to be devastated. A little dissapointed yes, devastated no.

Apparently some teams don't even see Jones as a 1st round pick. If you're trading up for a QB at #3 you'd think the guy would be seen as a Top 10 talent across the league. If he is the pick I'll hope he's the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, but Andy Dalton 2.0 is more likely. A talented QB that can get your weapons the ball, but not talented enough to make the off script plays or reads needed in big moments. That DUI he got should also scare a team like the 49ers with so much on line for the pick.

You read so much about how hard it is to evaluate Lance because of the competition and lack of a 2020 season. I think it's hard to evaluate Jones giving the wealth of talent he played with; especially at receiver. Even with us the talent gap between us and the other team is not going to be what he had at Alabama.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently some teams don't even see Jones as a 1st round pick. If you're trading up for a QB at #3 you'd think the guy would be seen as a Top 10 talent across the league. If he is the pick I'll hope he's the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, but Andy Dalton 2.0 is more likely. A talented QB that can get your weapons the ball, but not talented enough to make the off script plays or reads needed in big moments. That DUI he got should also scare a team like the 49ers with so much on line for the pick.

You read so much about how hard it is to evaluate Lance because of the competition and lack of a 2020 season. I think it's hard to evaluate Jones giving the wealth of talent he played with; especially at receiver. Even with us the talent gap between us and the other team is not going to be what he had at Alabama.
Yes, all true.

I would think if there was a major 'intangible' issue with Fields, it would've came out by now? So i can't understand why we wouldn't draft him? He is almost as good as Jones with intangibles, but he brings the 'extra' that justifies the trade up. I have to believe we'll draft him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jeremiah: "Fields has good size, excellent arm strength and remarkable athleticism for the quarterback position. He has produced monster numbers both passing and rushing in the Buckeyes' spread system. He is at his best when he throws on time and in rhythm. The ball jumps out of his hand, and he can deliver it accurately at all three levels. When the defense takes that initial target away, he's had issues quickly aborting that opportunity, which has made him late on throws and also resulted in sacks. He has shown flashes of quickly getting deeper in his progressions (see: 2021 Sugar Bowl vs. Clemson), but that part of his game is still a work in progress. He's dynamic as a runner. His first step is explosive and he pulls away from defenders with ease. He's also incredibly tough, as evidenced by his performance after getting drilled in the semifinal game against the Tigers. Overall, I think Fields has a chance to be special, but it's going to take some time for him to speed up his clock in the passing game."

I still say we'll draft Fields, but found something about his intangibles. If....IF we don't draft Fields, it would have to be an intangible issue like the above.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to tomorrow; adding Mac Jones is going to be big but I hope they don't make the expected draft day trade of Garoppolo to New England. Should be fun to see what happens after the #3 pick.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“People (ask), ‘What’s so elite about Mac Jones?’” Simms said. “And I say, ‘Easy: The way he plays the quarterback position is elite.’”

Simms described Jones as the most accurate passer and best decision-maker in the draft. He lauded Jones’ ability to go through his reads and deliver the football on target.

One of the knocks on Jones is his arm strength, which clearly lags behind Lance and Jones. Simms says Jones can make all the throws without requiring a lot of room in the pocket to operate.

Hmmm, the part in bold is very interesting. Isn't this what Shannahan thought CJ Beathard would be good at?
This Fields nonsense is getting old. They aren't taking that guy. No way. if they do you will get a sincere apology from me with my compliments.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm looking forward to tomorrow; adding Mac Jones is going to be big but I hope they don't make the expected draft day trade of Garoppolo to New England. Should be fun to see what happens after the #3 pick.
Yes, looking forward to the pick.

I'm predicting Justin Fields because i think they've been 'sandbagging'. They're sand bagging because they don't want the Jets to draft him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This Fields nonsense is getting old. They aren't taking that guy. No way. if they do you will get a sincere apology from me with my compliments.
Ok, looking forward to this too.

Don't go back on your word.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BTW - What have you been reading seeing on TV more of, Mac Jones or Justin Fields?

ie Mac Jones is not getting old, it IS old.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they want everyone to believe Mac Jones is the pick as well. At first it was likely to protect against another team trading with Jets for #2 to leapfrog us, but after the Jets made it clear they were taking a QB it's been all about keeping the Jets focus on Zach Wilson and away from Fields or Lance. Even if the Jets do something crazy like Draft Justin Fields I don't think we take Zach Wilson. I don't think Shanahan and Lynch have really giving much thought to the possibility.

Anyone else notice how any time the conversation starts to turn toward Fields or Lance a report is out by the next day from some reporter claiming Mac Jones is still the pick? Why are they reporting that so suddenly and Why is a source within the organization pushing that story out? The 49ers have not wanted anyone to believe it's anything other than Jones. Which ever they covet out of Fields and Lance they don't want any other team looking to hard at getting or being ahead of them to take.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, looking forward to the pick.

I'm predicting Justin Fields because i think they've been 'sandbagging'. They're sand bagging because they don't want the Jets to draft him.
I wouldn’t mind having him but it won’t happen. There is to much risk involved with him

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - What have you been reading seeing on TV more of, Mac Jones or Justin Fields?

ie Mac Jones is not getting old, it IS old.
My fear is all the talk about Lance. I believe the 49ers moved up originally for Jones and since they gave up so much it would be completely irresponsible to have made that move not being sure who you wanted and would look really bad for Shanahan. At a minimum the team would have to take away his authorization to make picks and turn it over to someone more responsible