• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The one thing I've learned during the time I've done this is that people can be entirely wrong about a quarterback when they only talk about traits," said an AFC personnel executive. "For example, (Ohio State's) Justin Fields is one of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft, but some people say he doesn't come off his first read as quickly as he needs to. Well, then what does that mean when you start putting a team together around him? Some teams just aren't good at figuring that part out. When a team is accepting of a quarterback's flaws and strengths, and works with that, there's a greater chance of success.

"The problem happens when a team isn't on board with the player's skill set from the beginning, and then it doesn't go well. That's when people start focusing on the player's negatives. The bottom lin
e is that all these guys have talent. It's really about what you do with them."

Like most 49er fans i think it has to be Fields but do view Lance and Jones like the above, each has their strengths so you just have to adjust and focus on the strengths. So if....IF they don't draft Fields, i'll be fine because don't see why Shannanhan can't utilize their strengths.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
by Mike Silver..................

"The NFL Network analyst broke down what is it about Jones that could have Shanahan still willing to pass on Fields and Lance to acquire him.

"Among other things, the Niners believe he has uncanny pocket skills," Silver explained, "especially out of the shotgun formation, and next-level footwork. He can slide in the pocket to either side and react quickly to onrushing defenders, even unblocked ones.

"Jones comes from a tennis-playing family and spent some time on the hardcourt as a kid, and that seems to correlate with the exceptional footwork. He clearly has absorbed a lot of football knowledge, and the synchronization of his throwing motion and footwork is impressive.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Edge Rushers are important but that's all they talk about for the Niners. Doesn't it seem like we need Linebackers more than anything? We have two guys who can play and the rest are a huge step down from them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know Edge Rushers are important but that's all they talk about for the Niners. Doesn't it seem like we need Linebackers more than anything? We have two guys who can play and the rest are a huge step down from them.
Yes, we could use a LB too looking at depth at next year. But who is the back-up at Edge, and looking at next year Best Player will decide this, not position. We need to stick close to Best Player Available in the mid rounds (for me, even into Round 5), but doesn't seem like Edge is a strong class? From what i can tell, ILB isn't a strong class either?

For Day 2, seems like CB and C/OG will be the stronger spots left on the board. I'd even be fine drafting one outside CB and one NB.

The goal is to walk away from the draft with the 'maximum' talent possible, not fill Needs.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we could use a LB too looking at depth at next year. But who is the back-up at Edge, and looking at next year Best Player will decide this, not position. We need to stick close to Best Player Available in the mid rounds (for me, even into Round 5), but doesn't seem like Edge is a strong class? From what i can tell, ILB isn't a strong class either?

For Day 2, seems like CB and C/OG will be the stronger spots left on the board. I'd even be fine drafting one outside CB and one NB.

The goal is to walk away from the draft with the 'maximum' talent possible, not fill Needs.
Man, I don't know if I agree with that. I think you fill the biggest need with the best player available at that position

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man, I don't know if I agree with that. I think you fill the biggest need with the best player available at that position
Say its the end of Round 3 at our pick and there's an C/OG that has fallen unexpectedly. This OG has starting potential and at very least projected to be our starter next season. This C/OG is clearly the best player on the 49ers board to this point, do you pass on him and take a LB listed 20 players lower?

Take the same example but its a NB that has fallen unexpectedly. He's good enough to start next season in place of K'wan Williams, and is clearly the highest rated propsect left on our board, do you pass on him and take the LB listed 20 players lower?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say its the end of Round 3 at our pick and there's an C/OG that has fallen unexpectedly. This OG has starting potential and at very least projected to be our starter next season. This C/OG is clearly the best player on the 49ers board to this point, do you pass on him and take a LB listed 20 players lower?

Take the same example but its a NB that has fallen unexpectedly. He's good enough to start next season in place of K'wan Williams, and is clearly the highest rated propsect left on our board, do you pass on him and take the LB listed 20 players lower?
At the end of round 3 I'd take the OG you mentioned but by that time I would hope I have my needs covered in the first two rounds in which I would take the best player that fills my biggest needs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At the end of round 3 I'd take the OG you mentioned but by that time I would hope I have my needs covered in the first two rounds in which I would take the best player that fills my biggest needs.
Ok, then you're going by Best Player Available, not Need. I did exaggerate with 20 players to get the point across.

Obviously, we ALL wish the BPA aligns with our biggest need at that pick. We will never know the stats on what teams do, but i'd GUESS after Round 1, it isn't that straightforward?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then you're going by Best Player Available, not Need. I did exaggerate with 20 players to get the point across.

Obviously, we ALL wish the BPA aligns with our biggest need at that pick. We will never know the stats on what teams do, but i'd GUESS after Round 1, it isn't that straightforward?
I still would go need early in the draft. No way I take an OG who is best player available when I have two all pro OGs already. I fill the need for QB if that’s my biggest need right away

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still would go need early in the draft. No way I take an OG who is best player available when I have two all pro OGs already. I fill the need for QB if that’s my biggest need right away
then fine.

Need is the NOW mentality, focusing on the upcoming season. Problem is things change FAST in the NFL, next year you never know who remains on your roster? You never know who suffers a major injury and is not quite the same? You never know which top player(s) leaves in free agency?

Drafting is intended to cover you for 4 or 5 years minimum. Drafting for THIS season is short sighted and not preparing you for the next 3 or 4.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then fine.

Need is the NOW mentality, focusing on the upcoming season. Problem is things change FAST in the NFL, next year you never know who remains on your roster? You never know who suffers a major injury and is not quite the same? You never know which top player(s) leaves in free agency?

Drafting is intended to cover you for 4 or 5 years minimum. Drafting for THIS season is short sighted and not preparing you for the next 3 or 4.

If you are basing it off next season because they retained everyone except Sherman CB isn't as big a need. However it will be in the future and if CB is the best player in rounds 2, 3 or both then take the CB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This mock has Carlos Basham, Edge, in Round 2. If Basham is the BPA to this point, GREAT!

i know we need CB's but adding maximum talent works for me.

If Basham is available in round #2 that would be a steal for the 49ers at a premium position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you are basing it off next season because they retained everyone except Sherman CB isn't as big a need. However it will be in the future and if CB is the best player in rounds 2, 3 or both then take the CB.
Yes, if CB is the best player, take the CB.

Not saying we go BPA blindly but do lean over to BPA. The draft is supposed to help you 4-5 years minimum, so you stock talent even if it doesn't hit your needs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...ssessment-potential-49ers-draft-target-jones/

Nothing earth shattering new, note the part where Mac Jones will need good players around him.

When you trade away this kind of draft capital, odds are the quality of your roster will go down, not up. But this is why you draft a special QB, one who can make up for those 'broken' plays. One who might make up for a less than stellar roster.

Mac Jones will be more consistent than JG and thus win games too. But the play-offs and SB require more than "a little better" than JG, cause which one of these QB prospects won't be more consistent than JG?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If....IF you REALLY wanted Justin Fields, wouldn't you play a little coy and make it seem like it'll be Jones or Lance? You'd play coy so that the Jets don't take Fields first OR, Atlanta doesn't jump up to #2? Plausible? The odds the Jets trade out is low and the odds Atlanta trades up is even LOWER, but in this business you don't take things for granted.

In any case, there is nothing to gain by hinting you want Fields, right?

While i do think Mac Jones will become good NFL QB, we didn't trade away all that draft capital for a new and improved JG did we?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If....IF you REALLY wanted Justin Fields, wouldn't you play a little coy and make it seem like it'll be Jones or Lance? You'd play coy so that the Jets don't take Fields first OR, Atlanta doesn't jump up to #2? Plausible? The odds the Jets trade out is low and the odds Atlanta trades up is even LOWER, but in this business you don't take things for granted.

In any case, there is nothing to gain by hinting you want Fields, right?

While i do think Mac Jones will become good NFL QB, we didn't trade away all that draft capital for a new and improved JG did we?

Yeah they might have.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah they might have.
haaaa

until the name is called on Tthursday, i'ill continue to believe they'll draft Justin Fields.....assuming he's on the board.

Unless something comes out later about one of his intangible traits, i just don't see why you'd pass on Fields? Unless its something like "can't read defenses", "can't see the field", "can't operate in the pocket", etc.; it just doesn't make sense to trade all this capital for a little better JG.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

VERY good read on why it should be Justin Fields, apparently what most 49er fans already know.

Note the part where Fields can throw just as accurately as Jones from the pocket. Again, unless it is a big intangible issue that Shannahan suspects (he can't really know 100%), the pick has to be Justin Fields.