• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They've fallen for Wilson.
Yeah, thats what all the reports are saying. But you don't see any that details why, none that connects the Jets new scheme to the strengths of Wilson?

Anyway.................

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Trey Lance is the pick but some very good things about him. I don't think he's the pick because there just isn't enough 'history' of proven performance. He might take more than a year to develop or might never develop close to his potential? Even thought he MAY turn out to be very good, you can't take this chance after giving up all that draft capital. You can't take that chance because the team is ready to win the SB now.

WHAT SCOUTS ARE SAYING

He is the most instinctual quarterback in this draft. I watched him and thought, ‘There’s no way he’s only played 17 games as a starter.'”

“The stuff he does in the pocket is so unique, a Dan Marino-type guy. Either everything comes so naturally for him or he has the best coach in college football.”

He feels traffic from either side. He has a knack for stepping up, sliding left, sliding right. He doesn’t raise it or drop it.

“He’s so young physically and mentally at the position. But his upside is tremendous.”

“He’s not going to be ready to play. He has to get in early, stay late and take a ton of notes just so he can learn the NFL position.”

“He’s 6-4. He’ll be 240-245 when he grows into his body.”

When all is said and done, he can be as good or better than (Trevor) Lawrence. He’s going to be a big, physical quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger.”

“He’s more of a thrower than a passer. He’s like a pitcher who’s only throwing 95 mph fastballs.”

“What they (the 49ers) should do is take Trey Lance because of the upside. He has the kind of things you want to work with.”

“He’s developmental. It’s going to take some time to get him ready.”

“He hasn’t played a ton of football, but he is a quarterback. He knows how to play the position. He could be the guy.”

WHY HE FITS WITH 49ERS

Lance has everything. He can throw it. He can run it. He has pocket presence. And he also has the personality and leadership traits required of the most important position in the sport.

Lance has a chance to be a great player for a long time. And the 49ers have braced themselves for the possibility that any rookie quarterback they select will sit for a year behind Jimmy Garoppolo.

That should be just fine for Lance, who probably faces a more difficult transition to the NFL than any of the other quarterbacks the 49ers might consider with the No. 3 overall pick.

He looks a lot like Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen, who carved up the 49ers last season without resorting to using his scrambling skills to pick up yards on the ground.

Lance appears to be comfortable with play-action, as he turns his back to the defense. That’s a big staple of the 49ers’ offense.

Coach Kyle Shanahan would have the luxury of investing a year of schooling Lance on the finer points of his offense before turning him loose in 2022.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Surprisingly, one of Fields' most prized attributes is his intangibles. Coaches and teammates rave about his leadership, work ethic, and toughness, reflecting in his win percentage and his skills as a passer. Fields led the charge for the Big-10 Conference to host a season in 2020 when it seemed very unlikely due to the pandemic, and also played through a broken rib in the College Football Playoffs, all feats Kyle Shanahan would gravitate towards.

Closing Thoughts

Ultimately, the Niners made a boom or bust deal in which they gave up three first-round picks, a boatload of assets, and now need to make a decision that reflects what they lost. Jones simply does not have the upside of superstar potential that warrants trading all the way up to pick three in a generational quarterback draft. Trey Lance does not match the team's timeline, however athletically gifted he is. This leaves Justin Fields, a superstar-level prospect with all the tools and skills necessary to be the 49ers' next franchise quarterback.

Wow, i like the part about his intangibles. Justin Fields is the obvious pick at #3, so much so i'm beginning to think the Jets will take him?! I think we 49er fans can't assume we'll end up with Justin Fields.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marc Ross: If you have the third pick, you better take one of the most talented players in the draft. Furthermore, if you trade three first-rounders and a third to get that No. 3 pick, you better take a quarterback who has a chance to be one of the best players in the league. That player is Justin Fields. He can efficiently operate an offense, but also offers exceptional play-making ability -- better than any other QB prospect in this class, in my opinion. Teams don't win Super Bowls with system quarterbacks or by out-scheming their opponents. They win with a transcendent talent at the game's most important position.

Well said!

You might win more regular season games and have a consistent winning record, but play-offs and Superbowls are different.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Charley Casserly: I think Mac Jones fits what Kyle Shanahan wants in his offense. He is smart, anticipates well and has good instincts. Jones' accuracy is very good and he's an excellent leader. Shanahan has won with Kirk Cousins (a 2012 fourth-round pick) and Jimmy Garoppolo (a 2014 second-rounder), so there's a good chance he can win with Jones under center. And while Jones doesn't have the long-range potential of Justin Fields or Trey Lance, he is the most pro-ready quarterback in this draft class (even if he has the lowest ceiling of the top dogs). I see similarities between Jones and new Bears QB Andy Dalton.

When you have a chance at a Justin Fields, Kyle Shannahan will just have to adjust his offense. Schemes always evolve anyway and there is no reason why he can't change. Not a whole sale change but adjust to suit his players, especially the QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Added King: "As one coach who is studying quarterbacks this postseason told me: '[Jones'] footwork is perfect, his decision-making is excellent, and even though he doesn't have the strongest arm, it's crazy how many deep balls he threw at Alabama that were right on the money.' So we'll see. Jones isn't the athlete of the others in the class, but he does have traits any coach would like."

I'm not for Mac Jones but do feel it won't be a disaster should we draft him. Decision making is HUGE as we all know, without it some of your arm talent is wasted.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Quarterback Fallacy

In the NFL Draft, many teams assume drafting their franchise quarterback will solve their problems immediately, which is why the position is considered the most important in all of football.

However, recent quarterback picks have proven that assumption wrong. In the 2020 NFL Draft, Joe Burrow was drafted as the plug-and-play starter for the Cincinnati Bengals with the No. 1 pick. However, his season, and essentially the Bengals, was cut short due to his ACL injury, stemming from poor offensive line play. In addition, Tua Tagovailoa was taken at No. 5 in the 2020 Draft but failed to produce NFL numbers due to a variety of factors like poor offensive line play, poor Wide Receiver separation, and internal mistakes. Similarly, in the highly- touted 2018 NFL Draft, quarterbacks Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen were taken as plug-and-play starters with picks No. 3 and No. 10 respectively, but failed to live up to expectations due to the lack of talent surrounding them.

The point is that younger quarterbacks need a stable system in order to function, and with the 49ers retaining many free agents, along with having a strong core of players, they are in a prime position to provide the quarterback of their choice with that stable system in order to succeed. This specific reason made it an easy decision for GM John Lynch and HC Kyle Shanahan to pull the trigger on the trade and move up nine spots to pick No. 3.

A stable system is a good reason and one i didn't think much of earlier.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields should be the Clear Choice

He's been labeled a "one-read QB," a distinction that's been quickly dismissed by just about every prominent draft analyst. In fact, per The Draft Network's Benjamin Solak, Fields threw past his first read 19.09 percent of the time, which is higher than Lawrence, Jones, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. He was also the most accurate quarterback in the class on second-read throws, per PFF.

Man the more I read up on these guys the more I wonder if Fields will even be available for the 49ers at #3. Are the Jets really so in love with Zach Wilson they'd pass up on Fields despite the analytics and tape being in Fields favor?

If the Jets did take Fields #2 though I like Trey Lance a lot more than Wilson and Jones. I think #3 is high for him, but if the plan really is to keep Jimmy G for at least 1 more year then Trey Lance is the perfect pick to sit and learn. He's the most physically gifted QB in the class and would spend his time in college breaking down NFL defenses on film. He seems like the type of intellectual QB Shanahan could mold into something special with a year of tutelage.

Mac Jones will probably never be terrible, but I have concerns with just how good he can be without an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. Throwing to Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle I'm sure he'll look great and maybe even better than Jimmy G, but what happens if we don't re-sign Deebo? What happens if Kittle is hurt again? Just how good can the offense be if suddenly it's Mac Jones and the 2nd or even 3rd string cast? Is he so good that he could elevate a bad group of receivers?

As for Zach Wilson I think he has the biggest potential to be a bust of the Top 5 QB's. I worry about his ego and about everything up to this point being just easy enough that he could coast on his talents alone. I worry that the NFL level will be a rude awakening for him and that he might not be truly prepared mentally to handle it. If the NFL breaks him in Year 1 does he have what it will take to persevere? I won't be surprised if in 3 to 4 years we're talking about Zach Wilson in a similar fashion to Sam Darnold right now. An uber talented QB that may just never re-find the confidence that made them so great coming into the league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He's been labeled a "one-read QB," a distinction that's been quickly dismissed by just about every prominent draft analyst. In fact, per The Draft Network's Benjamin Solak, Fields threw past his first read 19.09 percent of the time, which is higher than Lawrence, Jones, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. He was also the most accurate quarterback in the class on second-read throws, per PFF.

Man the more I read up on these guys the more I wonder if Fields will even be available for the 49ers at #3. Are the Jets really so in love with Zach Wilson they'd pass up on Fields despite the analytics and tape being in Fields favor?

If the Jets did take Fields #2 though I like Trey Lance a lot more than Wilson and Jones. I think #3 is high for him, but if the plan really is to keep Jimmy G for at least 1 more year then Trey Lance is the perfect pick to sit and learn. He's the most physically gifted QB in the class and would spend his time in college breaking down NFL defenses on film. He seems like the type of intellectual QB Shanahan could mold into something special with a year of tutelage.

Mac Jones will probably never be terrible, but I have concerns with just how good he can be without an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. Throwing to Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle I'm sure he'll look great and maybe even better than Jimmy G, but what happens if we don't re-sign Deebo? What happens if Kittle is hurt again? Just how good can the offense be if suddenly it's Mac Jones and the 2nd or even 3rd string cast? Is he so good that he could elevate a bad group of receivers?

As for Zach Wilson I think he has the biggest potential to be a bust of the Top 5 QB's. I worry about his ego and about everything up to this point being just easy enough that he could coast on his talents alone. I worry that the NFL level will be a rude awakening for him and that he might not be truly prepared mentally to handle it. If the NFL breaks him in Year 1 does he have what it will take to persevere? I won't be surprised if in 3 to 4 years we're talking about Zach Wilson in a similar fashion to Sam Darnold right now. An uber talented QB that may just never re-find the confidence that made them so great coming into the league.
The majority of Talking Heads have the 49ers taking Jones but at this point, don't think so. They'll draft Fields assuming he's still on the board.

Don't feel drafting one of the other 3 is a disaster. Yes, he won't be the value we spent judging it TODAY, but as long as he pans out #3 going forward.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the 2nd reference I've read about his mental make up. The next Aaron Rodgers or the next Ryan Leaf?

I can see why Shanny would want his guy( Jones) and ownership thinking outside of his systems box. Shanny might be on a short leash on this call

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  • Tremendous skill set
  • Accurate passer
  • Good arm strength
  • Can make all the throws
  • Can fire fastballs into tight windows
  • Throws with quality timing and anticipation in rhythm
  • Aggressive to push the ball downfield
  • Hits receivers on the run
  • Throws receivers open
  • Leads receivers for more yardage after the catch
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Throws a very catchable ball
  • Throws into tight windows
  • Athleticism
  • Elite mobility
  • Dynamic runner in the open field
  • Dangerous passer on the run
  • Can throw off platform
  • Good speed for a quarterback
  • Avoided turnovers overall
  • Upside

Weaknesses:
  • Poor pocket awareness
  • Can get rattled by the pass rush
  • Can freeze when seeing the blitz
  • Must get better at passing in the face of the rush
  • Blitz recognition needs work
  • Needs to check the ball down more
  • Field vision needs development
  • Needs to get quicker working through progressions
  • Limited playing experience; only 1.5 seasons as a starter

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Lance Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  • Tremendous skill set
  • Powerful arm
  • Can fire fastballs into tight windows
  • Arm strength to challenge defenses downfield
  • Throws a good deep ball
  • Impressive deep-ball precision
  • Aggressive to push the ball downfield
  • Throws well in the short, quick passing game
  • Leads receivers downfield for more yards after the catch
  • Accurate
  • Poise
  • Stays calm with rush closing around him
  • Keeps his eyes downfield despite rush closing in on him
  • Good athlete
  • Mobility
  • Uses his feet to buy time
  • Strong build makes him tough to sack, tackle
  • Keeps his eyes downfield while scrambling
  • Hard-charging downhill runner
  • Will lower his shoulder and run over tacklers
  • Dynamic runner
  • True dual-threat quarterback
  • Can throw off platform
  • Good speed for a quarterback
  • Avoids turnovers overall
  • Upside

Weaknesses:
  • Raw
  • Lacks experience
  • Field vision
  • Locks on to primary read
  • Takes off running when first read is covered
  • Slow to work through progressions
  • Has to speed up the process
  • Needs to get comfortable throwing into tight windows

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
  • Intelligent
  • Accurate passer
  • Pocket composure
  • Good decision maker
  • Ball placement
  • Throws a very catchable ball
  • Good timing
  • Shows anticipation
  • Quality field vision
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Natural feel; instinctive passer
  • Leads receivers for more yardage after the catch
  • Moves eyes through progressions
  • Good internal clock
  • Mastered his offense
  • Intangibles
  • Hard worker
  • Good character
  • Good fit in a west coast offense
  • Has had success against good competition

Weaknesses:
  • Quality arm strength, but not elite
  • Not a running threat
  • Enough size but not especially big
  • Limited experience; 1-year wonder
  • Might only be a game manager in the NFL

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Regardless of which one we do draft, as long as he pans out one of the NFL's best. Soon as we hear the name, not everyone will like it but really, it comes down to panning out, not credentials.

These are all good prospects and we won't really know till they get to play, REALLY play.

Anyway, I prefer JG stays healthy and have a monster '21 season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2601-2021-draft-prediction-49ers-trade-round/

I'd rather Shannahan not push/encourage Lynch anymore, on day 2 of the draft. Shannahan doesn't have even have a decent track record in Joe Williams, Dante Pettis, and CJ Beathard.

Obviously, Shannahan has to be really involved at #3 overall, but rather he not push for 'his' guys afterward.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Lance is a stud. Watched all his games and he has an arm and will only get better. He makes quick moves on reads too but doesn’t panic. He doesn’t rush it, big reason he had 28 TD -0 Int his first year. His upside could be amazing but he is young and from the FCS so yeah it’s a risk. Not sure I think Mac has any better upside than Trey, not to mention Treys arm strength being better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trey Lance is a stud. Watched all his games and he has an arm and will only get better. He makes quick moves on reads too but doesn’t panic. He doesn’t rush it, big reason he had 28 TD -0 Int his first year. His upside could be amazing but he is young and from the FCS so yeah it’s a risk. Not sure I think Mac has any better upside than Trey, not to mention Treys arm strength being better.
At this point i'll be fine with Lance too because I've read enough about his talent/potential. Granted we expect to contend THIS season and should Garappollo gets injured again...............Lance can't be expected to just carry on. So this IS a risk we'd accept THIS season in return for long term success.

Do prefer Fields but will be fine if not, don't think the other two are far behind as being good NFL QB's. The other two have different strengths but would still be good NFL QB's. Jones isn't far behind because having solid intangibles goes a LONG way. Reading defenses, processing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd reads, throws with timing, etc. are huge. If you can do this to a high level, then you're not running much anyway.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1