• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reuben Foster was a great pick that just unfortunately went the way of Aldon Smith. Injuries then took over and ended any chance of a comeback he had with Washington. He'll likely be a Free Agent this offseason. I highly doubt we try to bring him back, but considering how low the price tag will be Lynch should at least explore the option. If healthy and mature Foster was going to be a Pro Bowl LB.

Witherspoon as a 3rd pick has been decent. He's flashed starter talent and at worst is a good backup. Outside of McGlinchey the rest of those picks are terrible though.

Lynch would have already been submitting his resume to Canton a 2nd time had he drafted Mahomes or Watson after letting the Bears trade up for Trubisky.
Reuben Foster - But their due diligence should've determined his off field risks was too high? Isn't this the reason he lasted to the late 1st, other teams knew the risk was too high? Mentoring helps but only to a point, if the player's bad character is too inherrant, you can't change him.

Back in 2017, i admit i didn't think Mahomes was worth #2 overall. AT THE TIME it seemed it was the offensive scheme that inflated his name? Everyone knew he had an arm but a successful NFL QB needs the intangibles. I liked Watson because IMO he was 'proven' in big time games, and held up in the high pressure season of being No. 1. I felt he had the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. Naturally we're not gonna hit all the time, but we've gotta do ok in the early rounds--as the rest is a real crapshoot. And unftorunately that iswhere Shanny/Lynch fell apart in their first 2 drafts.

2017--1a. S.Thomas, 1b. R.Foster, 3a. A.Witherspoon, 3b. Beathard (we traded out of the pick where NO took A.Kamara)
2018--1 M.McGlinchey, 2. Pettis, 3a. Warner, 3b. T.Moore (we graded UP to get Pettis).

We ended up with 8 picks total in rds 1-3 and we got a starting RT (who can't play LT) and a pro bowl LB. Our last 2 drafts look much better than the first 2. We have to hope that continues considering the misses we've had in FA/trade (McKinnon, Richburg, Ford, and to a lesser extent Grop).
I know this doesn't help the 49ers, but the Bears did even worse trading up to draft Trubisky. Usually, GM's go out with the 'busted' QB, but he remains and is STILL stuck at QB. Dalton the starter and a "busted" free agent signing of Foles. wow!

Speaking of Trubisky, This is the danger with drafting one year starting college QB's, not enough performance on tape. This make you think twice about Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this doesn't help the 49ers, but the Bears did even worse trading up to draft Trubisky. Usually, GM's go out with the 'busted' QB, but he remains and is STILL stuck at QB. Dalton the starter and a "busted" free agent signing of Foles. wow!

Speaking of Trubisky, This is the danger with drafting one year starting college QB's, not enough performance on tape. This make you think twice about Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones?
I agree on the Bears. Passing on Watson and Maholmes was bad enough, but they traded up just one spot to make sure they got the flop in Trubisky. That has to burn like hell. You didn't just miss, you traded up to the get the one crappy QB out of the top 3.

The lack of a combine and in person workouts and interviews does give me some pause with the QBs this year. However, when it comes to QB evaluations, Shanny has a pretty decent track record, so I wouldn't be screaming at the TV if we went QB in rd 1 b/c there is some good talent there. Hell, I saw somewhere that Mac's numbers stack up really well against Tua's despite Tua having far more receiving options. I know this is the draft thread, but I wonder if he's just waiting to get Kirk Cousins this time next year when Minny cuts him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm certainly not against having a dynamic slot receiver, but feel these types can be had in Round 2 or 3. Looking at our current roster, i feel we're better off adding a quality defensive player. Whether an Edge or CB, defensive depth will benefit more than a slot receiver. That said, if Waddle is the best player available at 12th, then so be it.

We already know injuries will happen cause thats football, better depth on D helps more against play-off teams. We already have enough offensive wapons even without a 1st round slot receiver. If anyone else 'insist' on adding a dynamic weapon, Kyle Pitts makes more sense at 12th, than Waddle. Pitts is more likely to get a mismatch against more teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree on the Bears. Passing on Watson and Maholmes was bad enough, but they traded up just one spot to make sure they got the flop in Trubisky. That has to burn like hell. You didn't just miss, you traded up to the get the one crappy QB out of the top 3.

The lack of a combine and in person workouts and interviews does give me some pause with the QBs this year. However, when it comes to QB evaluations, Shanny has a pretty decent track record, so I wouldn't be screaming at the TV if we went QB in rd 1 b/c there is some good talent there. Hell, I saw somewhere that Mac's numbers stack up really well against Tua's despite Tua having far more receiving options. I know this is the draft thread, but I wonder if he's just waiting to get Kirk Cousins this time next year when Minny cuts him.
Yes, i read an article on Jones awhile ago and i was impressed. It said his strengths was decision making leading to a high percentage of short and medium completions. Everyone loves a QB who with a cannon arm, but if you're efficient at short/medium your offense will be good. Especially in Shannahan's offense, where he gets the ball out quick and leans on RACs, you'd think Jones can thrive? Efficient to me is getting the ball out with timing combined with accuracy.

Obviously, one knock on Jones is the team he played on? Was it him or his receivers getting so wide open? His O-line was so good he had extra time for him and receivers too. I read another knock that sounded reasonable, but can't remember it now? :-(

I can't help think a QB is in play Round 1, cause to date they haven't added a reasonable back-up QB? I don't consider Josh Rosen nor Josh Johnson anything more than camp arms.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i have to correct myself........Wilson and Jones played more games than i thought. Both are more than 'one year starting college QB's'.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't like trading away future 1st round picks so trading away TWO 1st round picks is hard to take. Now all of the eggs are in one basket and the QB at No. 3 NEEDS to pan out. I don't want to think about what happens If that QB turns out 'bust'. We expect those future 1st round picks to be late but still, then our first pick will be late 2nd round.

On the bright side, the Rams and Seahawks also traded away multiple 1st rounders. At least we did it for a QB which makes way more sense than for a CB and Safety. We can stay in contention for the NFC West.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like this move at all. Not one bit
If it's the #1 pick for a clear #1 QB. Sure but not for who's left at 3. Because we all know #2 will be used for a QB by either the Jets or the team who wants to get ahead of the Niners for the #2 QB
I know Lynch has a track record for falling in love with a player and taking them high. Not a one panned out

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch will have his choice after Lawrence and Wilson are gone. I'd bet the ranch on Davis Mills of Stanford after his Pro Day in the rain and wind last Friday. When a QB hits 37 outb of 40 targets in that mess, it's hard to ignore.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like trading away future 1st round picks so trading away TWO 1st round picks is hard to take. Now all of the eggs are in one basket and the QB at No. 3 NEEDS to pan out. I don't want to think about what happens If that QB turns out 'bust'. We expect those future 1st round picks to be late but still, then our first pick will be late 2nd round.

On the bright side, the Rams and Seahawks also traded away multiple 1st rounders. At least we did it for a QB which makes way more sense than for a CB and Safety. We can stay in contention for the NFC West.

The only hope is to get some of that draft capital back by trading Garoppolo.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch will have his choice after Lawrence and Wilson are gone. I'd bet the ranch on Davis Mills of Stanford after his Pro Day in the rain and wind last Friday. When a QB hits 37 outb of 40 targets in that mess, it's hard to ignore.

I would be shocked if that was the pick but you can always hope.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if that was the pick but you can always hope.
49er Scouts were sold and went after him as soon as he was done. He impressed the hell out of me. Of course the Jets might just swallow a cyanide pill and take Trey Lance at #2 and blow up the entire 2021 draft.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not mean much at all, but....

Lynch has stated that Garoppolo is still the QB for 2021....suggesting that whomever is selected at #3 will sit a year or so.
The 49ers made this franchise altering decision before Justin Fields has had his pro day.
Not saying that this means Trey Lance is the guy, but it makes sense.

I am all for this deal up because of the position. Draft picks don't mean squat when it comes to QB's. My preference is Zach Wilson, but whatever.....I applaud the boldness.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynch has stated that Garoppolo is still the QB for 2021....suggesting that whomever is selected at #3 will sit a year or so.
The 49ers made this franchise altering decision before Justin Fields has had his pro day.

I am all for this deal up because of the position. Draft picks don't mean squat when it comes to QB's. My preference is Zach Wilson, but whatever.....I applaud the boldness.

It also happened as Wilson's pro day was going on so they might prefer Wilson as well who knows.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not sure what to make of this kind of move. I understand that the FO has seen Grop's ceiling (and his inability to stay healthy) and he simply isn't good enough. Fine. But, this is a BIG, RG3-level trade up for a QB we aren't even certain we're going to get--that is the hardest part for me. I've never seen the team make this kind of gamble before. Will it be Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Jones?
--So far, Looks like the Jets will go with Wilson
--we made this deal before Fields's pro day, so does that matter or is it a smokescreen?
--Lance is the biggest boom/bust gamble
--Jones is the "safe" play

No matter who we pick, the rookie will at least be coming to a team that should be able to fit a rookie in rather quickly/easily. We're a run-heavy team with a great LT, a top 2 TE in Kittle, and real talent at WR in Aiyuk and Deebo.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of value for a Grop trade unless we'd have moved him to NE before they resigned Cam. We're in a weird spot with Grop.
--Do we actually plan on keeping him at his salary?
--If we don't, then what happens if he wont' take a paycut?
--teams should know by now that we're unlikely to keep him at the full salary, so they won't trade much for him
--does Grop want to be traded badly enough to take a paycut/redone deal?
--there aren't many places for Grop to land that don't already have a presumed starter in place

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not sure what to make of this kind of move. I understand that the FO has seen Grop's ceiling (and his inability to stay healthy) and he simply isn't good enough. Fine. But, this is a BIG, RG3-level trade up for a QB we aren't even certain we're going to get--that is the hardest part for me. I've never seen the team make this kind of gamble before. Will it be Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Jones?
--So far, Looks like the Jets will go with Wilson
--we made this deal before Fields's pro day, so does that matter or is it a smokescreen?
--Lance is the biggest boom/bust gamble
--Jones is the "safe" play

No matter who we pick, the rookie will at least be coming to a team that should be able to fit a rookie in rather quickly/easily. We're a run-heavy team with a great LT, a top 2 TE in Kittle, and real talent at WR in Aiyuk and Deebo.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of value for a Grop trade unless we'd have moved him to NE before they resigned Cam. We're in a weird spot with Grop.
--Do we actually plan on keeping him at his salary?
--If we don't, then what happens if he wont' take a paycut?
--teams should know by now that we're unlikely to keep him at the full salary, so they won't trade much for him
--does Grop want to be traded badly enough to take a paycut/redone deal?
--there aren't many places for Grop to land that don't already have a presumed starter in place

Well the likely spot would be New England Newton's deal isn't much money and really won't effect anything that the Pat's might do at QB.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the likely spot would be New England Newton's deal isn't much money and really won't effect anything that the Pat's might do at QB.
It's more of a cap space thing imo. IIRC, the Pats HAD a ton of space, but they've only got 11.5M left at this point and Grop is due 25M this season. Sure, moving money around to gain some gap space is easy, but not 23-25M worth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trade him before this season? As a fan, i hope they keep JG as the starter this season. This team is capable of going all the way, and a seasoned JG is better than a rookie QB. The rookie QB will eventually be good, but we shouldn't assume this season. But this is only a fan talking, if i'm JG not sure i'd want to stick for ONLY 1 more year?

JG doesn't have much trade value right now, i'd say a 3rd rounder?

IF JG lights it up this season his value goes up but then won't we keep him ourselves? If he has an "average" season, he won't gain much in a trade? Other teams know we'll cut him to gain cap space.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Bold move no doubt. i get the reasons for it and it makes perfect sense IF the QB pans out. But pans out means "tier 1" NFL QB, not average or even above average. JG is above average and you'd still have that draft capital. My initial reaction is not liking this all the eggs in one basket move.

Anyway, whats done is done and I'll hope this QB pans out, vice pan the trade. They can only go by college game stats and measurables, can't be as sure on intangibles. I tend to think you go with the QB who's "proven" against tougher competition and bowl games. I'd be a little concerned if Trey Lance is the pick?

That said, MAYBE they see him as more 'moldable'?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also happened as Wilson's pro day was going on so they might prefer Wilson as well who knows.

They probably do prefer Wilson.....the Jets hold those cards. Of course, Saleh and Shanahan are still tight, so there's a good chance SF knows who the first two picks are anyways. Apparently, SF didn't even bother making a proposal deal with NY which tells me they are definitely taking a QB at two. Knowing this, ShanaLynch still made the move up to three.

Pretty sure they already know the name on the card.