• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read pretty much the same. That just made him the potential elder statesman so to speak.

Yes but if he could play LT at the college level they wouldn't play him at LT. One of the positions Notre Dame recruits at a high level so they have plenty of guys to play LT. He'll be a starter for them and I'm betting a good one.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but if he could play LT at the college level they wouldn't play him at LT. One of the positions Notre Dame recruits at a high level so they have plenty of guys to play LT. He'll be a starter for them and I'm betting a good one.
I'm not a Golden Domer but I'm pretty sure that's just what they do there. They put a lot on the shoulders of their upper classmen

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Golden Domer but I'm pretty sure that's just what they do there. They put a lot on the shoulders of their upper classmen

They do, it usually the best 5 linemen play. The best usually plays LT. Banks probably would have been the best but not if he can't play the position. They basically recruit a bunch of high school LT's and plug them into the o-line.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he had stayed at Notre Dame they were talking about potentially trying him at LT. He is a good athlete for a guard.
Wow, interesting and obviously good if true. I have to believe its true cause our personnel spend months evaluating prospects.

Some of the review comments say he isn't good enough for the outside zone, not good enough to block the second level? i guess depends who is doing the evaluation. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crappy year on the top end for guards.
I certain hope he can come in and cure the ill which has long been our RG, Not going to hold my breath
Rather have kept the pick and have taken just who the Raiders drafted there
i agree on the last sentence, cause seemed to me Moehrig was the BPA at that point? I know we need an OG more than a Safety, but you have to draft the most talent you can, not draft for this upcoming season.

i need to keep reading cause just want to know Banks was 'equal' value as anybody else, to that point? I wouldn't want to fill OG just because we needed it, while a potential All Pro Bowl Safety (or whatever else position) is still on the board.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, interesting and obviously good if true. I have to believe its true cause our personnel spend months evaluating prospects.

Some of the review comments say he isn't good enough for the outside zone, not good enough to block the second level? i guess depends who is doing the evaluation. :-)

If he couldn't block Shanahan's scheme they wouldn't draft him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect, we drafted two 3rd rounders
I think they did an excellent job on those two picks. Not sure why MSN's draft tracker didn't show the Niners with any 3rd round picks. Probably to busy looking for stories where black people are being abused by cops to update their draft board.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uuuhh....what? The discussion is about Trey Lance. This was your response to my post regarding the pick of Lance:

......To which I responded with this:
Sorry. I thought we were talking about Garoppolo leaving and Lance being exposed

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched almost every USC game last year and Hufanga is a great player. Turnover machine. Reminds me of Troy Palamalu

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.3, Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
2.48. Aaron Banks, G, Notre Dame
3.88, Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State
3.102, Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan
5.155, Jaylon Moore, OT, Western Michigan
5.172. Deommodore Lenoir, CB, Oregon
5.180. Talanoa Hufanga, S, USC
6.194. Eli Mitchell, RB, Louisiana-Lafayett

Some draft thoughts now that it’s all over:

The 2nd rd trade and the Banks pick tells us several things
--The FO was not high on Moehrig at Safety or Samuel at CB.
--The player we wanted was already gone.
--One would think we were hoping for a CB that went late in rd 1 who was supposed to go in rd 2 (Stokes or Campbell) or a Safety taken earlier in rd 2 (Holland or Grant)

As for Banks, a OG makes sense, since RG is the only open starting spot on offense and Tomlinson is in the last year of his deal. Goodness knows that our OG play has surprisingly shaky since Shanny got here and it's ncie to see us try to address it, but most of us were thinking we'd land an OC who could play OG now and move to OC next year when Mack is likely to be cut. I know a lot of folks questioned the choice of Banks, but the guy’s qualifications are pretty strong:
--31 straight starts on program known for producing good NFL Olinemen
--1st team All American
--only Power 5 OG to have a PFF grade above 80 in both run blocking and pass blocking
--showed well at the senior bowl
--short shuttle was adequate, but 3 his cone time was quite good--better than ND's LT (Eichenberg) and RT (Hainsey), and better than 3 of the 1st rd OTs taken last year (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas)

After our picks in rd 3 I thought “and here I thought we needed help at CB, S, or Edge!”

I like the Trey Sermon pick. Shanny knows RBs and he usually finds them on teh scrap heap, so it'll be nice to see what he can do with one with serious talent. Sermon is Not a homerun hitter, but a good zone runner who already knows how to block in the passing game (something that keeps lots of younger RBs from seeing the field).

I also liked the pick of Moore from Western Michigan. His being recruited as a TE is a good sign that he’s very athletic. It was a good spot to find an OT that could either become our RT in a couple of years, our swing tackle, or even kick inside to OG. A few draft blurbs on him:
--32 straight starts
--Could play either OT or OG in the NFL
--"An athletic tackle, he excels in zone-based blocking schemes", "He would best fit in a zone-based NFL offense", "Athletic tackle/guard prospect who is at his best when he's allowed to play on the move and utilize his athletic ability to create angle advantages in space."

Not really sure what we were doing at CB.

Imo, Hufanga was a pick with an eye toward STs, but he could surprise us. He appears to be his best closer to the LOS, like a Kam Chancellor role, but then again, he could just as easily be the next Taylor Mays.

Seems like we say this every year, but barring some surprises, after this coming season, we'll have a need at CB, S, and Edge.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is Lance would have still been there at 12. No need to trade up
That isn't what the talking heads on draft night were saying. It's weird when both ESPN and NFLN agree on something, but they both had folks saying that Lance wouldn't have fallen like Fields and Jones did. In fact, Lance was most often mocked to Atlanta at 4, so it says something that they passed on Fields and Jones.

I don’t think so. The Niners have no leverage. Every team knows the 49ers have to get rid of him. They’ll just wait til the 49ers have to cut him and the Niners will get nothing. If I was Garoppolo I’d make sure of it. I’d reject every trade they try to make and choose my own team once they cut me
Sure, if he plays well, there will probably be a trade market, but you're right that he can nix trades. However, if he tries to screw the team by refusing all trades, then the team can screw him in return by cutting him in August 2022. By then, almost every team would already have spent their FA dollars so he'd have a hard time demanding a big contract and with the NE door looking pretty closed, he wouldn't have the chance to be a day 1 starter anywhere since he will have missed TC. A team that wants him isn't gonna hand him the same contract and starting job in August that they'd have given him in March b/c he won't be ready to play for them. So, a trade is in the best interests of the team and the player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
  • Drafting two players you view as guards gives me some pause, whereas drafting a college center who could slot in at guard, at least in my view, would have been preferable, and someone like Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey was available when Banks was, and had the same sort of athleticism. That’s not knocking the Banks selection; I’ve loved his tape for a while, but it’s unclear how long Alex Mack will last, and if he retires after this year, well, Shanahan is a stickler about having a well-versed, preferably veteran center, and it feels like this was a good opportunity to draft the future of that position.

Didn't think we'd go OG in Round 2 but i would've thought the same as above. Even if not Humphrey, a future starting Center who'd might back-up at OG.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When Lynch said they've been learning to draft better, was he referring to injured prospects? haaaa

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jed York OK with Trey Lance sitting for two years

“We’ve talked about this internally,” York said. “If we’re in a situation where Jimmy goes out and takes us to a Super Bowl again and has an MVP-caliber season, and does it again, there are worse dilemmas to be in. And Jimmy certainly has the ability to do that.”

This is why I don't understand those talking heads out there claiming Jimmy G is gone. Shanahan doesn't want him. We traded future picks to get rid of him. There is no way Jimmy G is the Week 1 Starter.... etc. etc.

It all avoids the real question of why do the 49ers need to get rid of Jimmy G???
Is there a real benefit to the savings on the cap this year??? probably not without restructuring deals to be more front loaded. We're already under the cap
Is Jimmy G or Trey Lance causing Locker Room issues??? All signs right now point to no
Is the trade market for Jimmy G hot??? Looks pretty Chill right now

The 49ers have more to gain and far less to lose by just keeping Jimmy and starting the season with him than they do by cutting him or trading him away for a box of popcorn and 2 tickets to the premier of Shang-Chi.

Worst case scenario Jimmy G plays poorly or gets hurt thrusting Lance into the starting role early. The 49ers cut Jimmy in the off-season and save a ton on next years cap to sign a very good team around Lance.

Best case scenario the competition brings out the very best in Jimmy and we win the Super Bowl. I'm sure Shanahan and Lynch just dread having to figure out what to do with a Super Bowl winning QB in the off-season. If that happens Jimmy likely finishes out his contract the next year while Lance continues to sit. Are those 2 1st Round picks considered a waste if the result is the best 2 years of Jimmy G's career??? Under those circumstances Lance could end up a bust and the picks were still worth the Super Bowl title.

Likely scenario, Jimmy plays well enough to put us into the playoffs and shows he can stay healthy and that chill trading market will be a July Beach in Miami. Quite a few teams are going into this season with ???s at QB. The GMs and Coaches for those teams would love a veteran like Jimmy to take over and buy them time to figure out a more long term solution.

Probably the worst option in all of this for the 49ers is cutting Jimmy G now and starting the 2021 season with a Super Bowl roster run by a Rookie QB, and to anyone who thinks Jimmy G wouldn't want to play for the 49ers anymore please explain where he can go at the moment and have
A.) A Starting Job and B.) A Win Now Roster
2 Years away from needing to sign another contract I highly doubt he wants to be on a bad team. He understands his best shot at another big contract will come by holding off Lance and proving his value on the field winning games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

“We’ve talked about this internally,” York said. “If we’re in a situation where Jimmy goes out and takes us to a Super Bowl again and has an MVP-caliber season, and does it again, there are worse dilemmas to be in. And Jimmy certainly has the ability to do that.”

This is why I don't understand those talking heads out there claiming Jimmy G is gone. Shanahan doesn't want him. We traded future picks to get rid of him. There is no way Jimmy G is the Week 1 Starter.... etc. etc.

It all avoids the real question of why do the 49ers need to get rid of Jimmy G???
Is there a real benefit to the savings on the cap this year??? probably not without restructuring deals to be more front loaded. We're already under the cap
Is Jimmy G or Trey Lance causing Locker Room issues??? All signs right now point to no

The 49ers have more to gain and far less to lose by just keeping Jimmy and starting the season with him than they do by cutting him or trading him away for a box of popcorn and 2 tickets to the premier of Shang-Chi.

Worst case scenario Jimmy G plays poorly or gets hurt thrusting Lance into the starting role early. The 49ers cut Jimmy in the off-season and save a ton on next years cap to sign a very good team around Lance.

Best case scenario the competition brings out the very best in Jimmy and we win the Super Bowl. I'm sure Shanahan and Lynch just dread having to figure out what to do with a Super Bowl winning QB in the off-season. If that happens Jimmy likely finishes out his contract the next year while Lance continues to sit. Are those 2 1st Round picks considered a waste if the result is the best 2 years of Jimmy G's career??? Under those circumstances Lance could end up a bust and the picks were still worth the Super Bowl title.

Likely scenario, Jimmy plays well enough to put us into the playoffs and shows he can stay healthy and that chill trading market will be a July Beach in Miami. Quite a few teams are going into this season with ???s at QB. The GMs and Coaches for those teams would love a veteran like Jimmy to take over and buy them time to figure out a more long term solution.

Probably the worst option in all of this for the 49ers is cutting Jimmy G now and starting the 2021 season with a Super Bowl roster run by a Rookie QB, and to anyone who thinks Jimmy G wouldn't want to play for the 49ers anymore please explain where he can go at the moment and have
2 Years away from needing to sign another contract I highly doubt he wants to be on a bad team. He understands his best shot at another big contract will come by holding off Lance and proving his value on the field winning games.

Yes, the best case scenario is for JG to stay healthy, plays lights out, and win the SB. Even if he doesn't win the SB, have a 'lights out' season to raise your value next off-season. This situation will be good for both JG and the 49ers, cause then there will be options to consider..

I'm fine if Trey Lance sits most of this season because JG is playing well. I'm sure Lance will get game reps along the way, but fine if he doesn't start any games.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, we don't need to get rid of Grop this season. It really makes more sense to keep him around for a year and let Lance sit and learn for a season. Grop will want to play here this year b/c the team has plenty of tools and talent around him and the better he plays, the bigger his next contract will be when we trade/cut him. So that part is a win/win.

Moving him this year would have to be b/c Lance looks great and ready in TC and/or the team really wants his 25M in 2021 cap space to carry over into the offseason, where we'd end up with 50M more in space than we expected.

The big drawback to keeping him this year is his propensity to get hurt. If he suffers an injury midseason or late in the year, we might not be able to cut him at all in 2022, essentially saddling us with a $25M backup QB on IR.

I say it's worth the gamble to keep him this season, try and get the best out of him, and then trade him away. Sitting a year can only help Lance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eh, we don't need to get rid of Grop this season. It really makes more sense to keep him around for a year and let Lance sit and learn for a season. Grop will want to play here this year b/c the team has plenty of tools and talent around him and the better he plays, the bigger his next contract will be when we trade/cut him. So that part is a win/win.

Moving him this year would have to be b/c Lance looks great and ready in TC and/or the team really wants his 25M in 2021 cap space to carry over into the offseason, where we'd end up with 50M more in space than we expected.

The big drawback to keeping him this year is his propensity to get hurt. If he suffers an injury midseason or late in the year, we might not be able to cut him at all in 2022, essentially saddling us with a $25M backup QB on IR.

I say it's worth the gamble to keep him this season, try and get the best out of him, and then trade him away. Sitting a year can only help Lance.
Yes, there is always the potential for injury but agree its worth the gamble keeping JG. I was thinking this from the beginning anyway, up until the trade up. JG has a firm knowledge of the system and many players believe in him. That team chemistry is also important if we want to go far. I know JG isn't a tier 1 NFL QB, but wasn't willing to give up so much draft capital.

Anyway, we hope to be pushing toward a SB win so you need JG even if Lance miraculously surpasses him. Because nothing to say Lance won't get hurt either?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is always the potential for injury but agree its worth the gamble keeping JG. I was thinking this from the beginning anyway, up until the trade up. JG has a firm knowledge of the system and many players believe in him. That team chemistry is also important if we want to go far. I know JG isn't a tier 1 NFL QB, but wasn't willing to give up so much draft capital.

Anyway, we hope to be pushing toward a SB win so you need JG even if Lance miraculously surpasses him. Because nothing to say Lance won't get hurt either?
Good point. The last 3 seasons should've taught our coaches and FO the value of good backup QBs.