• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down On The Farm

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Law released he Mid-Season Top 50...ESPN+

8. Jarred Kelenic, OF, Seattle Mariners

Mets fans might wish to avert their eyes for a moment, since the main prospect GM Brodie Van Wagenen traded to get the worst half-season of Edwin Diaz's career and the wrong half of Robinson Cano's contract has had a tremendous full-season debut. Kelenic was not challenged by low-A pitchers, hitting .309/.394/.586 there, before a mid-June promotion to high-A, where he has continued to make a lot of quality contact and took a six-game hitting streak into the break. He's a plus runner who might stay in center, though I could see him getting bumped by a plus defender there and moving to right field due to his arm. He has high-OBP, 30-homer potential, and that will play at any spot.

49. Julio Rodriguez, OF, Seattle Mariners

Rodriguez is the second-youngest position player in the Midwest League -- he's the guy who's three months older than Mauricio -- and has still managed a .292/.378/.446 line in 148 PA around a fracture in his hand, suffered when he was hit by a pitch. Rodriguez is listed at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, and looks close to it, less awkward than Mauricio and definitely stronger, though he too has a ton of projection left. At the plate, his hands are quick, and he looks like he'll have significant power down the road because of how well he can hit the ball now when he gets his arms extended. He's already in right field with plenty of arm to stay there, and with fringy speed he wasn't going to play in the middle. He's a ways off, but there's middle-of-the-order potential in his bat.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for putting this info together. It's great to see stats to make good comparisons and see the initial outcome of player movements. :thumb:

Well i cant take credit, it was create in the article but i though some might not open the link and the breakdown was to good to not let people see it. :suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i cant take credit, it was create in the article but i though some might not open the link and the breakdown was to good to not let people see it. :suds:

It's a very good break down!
People need to understand that this whole rebuild needed to happen even though some of us don't believe Jerry is the guy to acquire the talent, they have some good talent now with a depth. I mean seriously when was the last time this franchise had this much outfield talent and depth? Never

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jarred Kelenic being ranked #8 by Keith Law and #13 by Baseball Prospectus, does anyone know the last time the Mariners had a prospect ranked as high as #8 by a major outlet?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm really curious.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jarred Kelenic being ranked #8 by Keith Law and #13 by Baseball Prospectus, does anyone know the last time the Mariners had a prospect ranked as high as #8 by a major outlet?

I know Baseball America had Ackley at #7 midseason 2010. They also had Trout #2 behind Dominic Brown...

Midseason Updated Top 25 Prospects 2010

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baseball Prospectus 2012: Jesus Montero #7

Future Shock: Top 101 Prospects - Baseball Prospectus

Also Bleacher Report #7

7. C/DH Jesus Montero, Seattle Mariners
55 OF 61

1. 2011 Stats (Triple-A)
    .288/.348/.467, 18 HR, 67 RBI, 52 R

2011 Stats (New York)
    .328/.406/.590, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 9 R

Rating as a top prospect in New York comes with an added amount of hype, but all signs point to Montero being the real deal moving forward.

He was dealt to the Mariners for starter Michael Pineda this winter, and that will likely mean a full season in the big leagues hitting in the middle of the order this coming season for the 22-year-old, but he has the offensive tools to thrive in that role.

It remains to be seen if he will spend much time at catcher or simply settle into a DH role, but he is perhaps the best pure-hitting prospect in the league right now and should be a .300 BA, 20 HR, 80 RBI guy right of the bat in Seattle regardless of where he plays.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very good break down!
People need to understand that this whole rebuild needed to happen even though some of us don't believe Jerry is the guy to acquire the talent, they have some good talent now with a depth. I mean seriously when was the last time this franchise had this much outfield talent and depth? Never

This is the scary part and why those who don’t think Jerry is the guy. They have so much OF depth so will have to end up trading at least two. I am praying that Jerry doesn’t end up trading the wrong ones. But ya, their OF depth is crazy, I just do not want Kelenic or Rodriguez getting dealt. Everyone else they can deal for starting pitching depth. The opener is only a thing because teams can’t find enough quality starters to fill out a 5 man rotation.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the scary part and why those who don’t think Jerry is the guy. They have so much OF depth so will have to end up trading at least two. I am praying that Jerry doesn’t end up trading the wrong ones. But ya, their OF depth is crazy, I just do not want Kelenic or Rodriguez getting dealt. Everyone else they can deal for starting pitching depth. The opener is only a thing because teams can’t find enough quality starters to fill out a 5 man rotation.

Yeah I'm sure that some of these outfielders will be dealt down the road which is part of the process. Lets just hope they continue to grow and one or two of them can warrant getting good pithing back in return..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Baseball America had Ackley at #7 midseason 2010. They also had Trout #2 behind Dominic Brown...

Midseason Updated Top 25 Prospects 2010
Baseball Prospectus 2012: Jesus Montero #7

Future Shock: Top 101 Prospects - Baseball Prospectus

Also Bleacher Report #7

7. C/DH Jesus Montero, Seattle Mariners
55 OF 61

1. 2011 Stats (Triple-A)
    .288/.348/.467, 18 HR, 67 RBI, 52 R

2011 Stats (New York)
    .328/.406/.590, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 9 R

Rating as a top prospect in New York comes with an added amount of hype, but all signs point to Montero being the real deal moving forward.

He was dealt to the Mariners for starter Michael Pineda this winter, and that will likely mean a full season in the big leagues hitting in the middle of the order this coming season for the 22-year-old, but he has the offensive tools to thrive in that role.

It remains to be seen if he will spend much time at catcher or simply settle into a DH role, but he is perhaps the best pure-hitting prospect in the league right now and should be a .300 BA, 20 HR, 80 RBI guy right of the bat in Seattle regardless of where he plays.

MLB Had Walker #4 in 2013

2013 Prospect Watch

Ah shit you definitely got me there. The only guys I thought about were Zunino and Ackley and I only checked what it showed on baseball-reference which consists of preseason rankings.

I completely forgot to check about Montero and for whatever reason I didn't think that Walker ever cracked the top 15.

Sounds silly but I always enjoy when someone proves me wrong or points out something I overlooked. Good research/memory man.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Had Walker #4 in 2013

2013 Prospect Watch

I swore he got up to 1. I just recall that Adam Jones and Walker were the only number 1 prospects the Mariners have had since ARod. Or maybe it was something like that and I just heard number 1. I know Walker was rated high and thought he was the shit when he came to Tacoma.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he actually pitching for the Diamondbacks now?

I refuse to look National League stats and rosters

I think he is still recovering from shoulder or elbow surgery.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah shit you definitely got me there. The only guys I thought about were Zunino and Ackley and I only checked what it showed on baseball-reference which consists of preseason rankings.

I completely forgot to check about Montero and for whatever reason I didn't think that Walker ever cracked the top 15.

Sounds silly but I always enjoy when someone proves me wrong or points out something I overlooked. Good research/memory man.

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I was just on a fact finding mission because I couldn't remember. It surprised me as well. It was fun.