• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm 2024

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2

(I don't know who is in this picture, but it is a Scottsdale Scorpions' hat, so must be from the Arizona Fall League, perhaps the 2023 version?) Looks like it is https://www.mlb.com/player/spencer-bivens-702352?stats=career-r-pitching-minors&year=2024 who was there in the 2022 season, and did really well.

Here’s a roundup of other notable performances from San Francisco’s four full-season Minor League affiliates:
Spencer Bivens
Triple-A Sacramento
Right-hander Spencer Bivens earned his eighth save of the season after striking out two over a scoreless ninth inning in the River Cats’ 4-2 win over Albuquerque on Thursday. The 29-year-old journeyman is 2-0 with a 0.39 ERA and 23 strikeouts over 23 1/3 innings in 12 appearances since April 27.

Double-A Richmond
Left-hander John Michael Bertrand struck out eight over six shutout innings against Altoona on Tuesday, lowering his ERA to 2.68 over 11 appearances (10 starts) this season. A 2022 10th-round Draft pick, Bertrand was also named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the second time this season after firing six hitless innings at Bowie on May 23.

High-A Eugene
Shortstop Diego Velasquez, the Giants’ No. 18 prospect per MLB Pipeline, went 3-for-6 with two triples and a career-high four RBIs in the Emeralds’ 20-5 rout at Tri-City on Tuesday. The 20-year-old Venezuelan entered Saturday batting .284 with a .788 OPS and two homers over 42 games this season.

Single-A San Jose
Outfielder Wade Meckler (No. 16) hit his first home run of the season in a rehab game with San Jose on Tuesday, though he took only two at-bats before being replaced in left field in the bottom of the fourth inning. Meckler, 24, has been working his way back from a wrist issue that forced him to miss the first six weeks of the Minor League season.

Last edited:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2

(I don't know who is in this picture, but it is a Scottsdale Scorpions' hat, so must be from the Arizona Fall League, perhaps the 2023 version?) Looks like it is https://www.mlb.com/player/spencer-bivens-702352?stats=career-r-pitching-minors&year=2024 who was there in the 2022 season, and did really well.

Here’s a roundup of other notable performances from San Francisco’s four full-season Minor League affiliates:
Spencer Bivens
Triple-A Sacramento
Right-hander Spencer Bivens earned his eighth save of the season after striking out two over a scoreless ninth inning in the River Cats’ 4-2 win over Albuquerque on Thursday. The 29-year-old journeyman is 2-0 with a 0.39 ERA and 23 strikeouts over 23 1/3 innings in 12 appearances since April 27.

Double-A Richmond
Left-hander John Michael Bertrand struck out eight over six shutout innings against Altoona on Tuesday, lowering his ERA to 2.68 over 11 appearances (10 starts) this season. A 2022 10th-round Draft pick, Bertrand was also named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the second time this season after firing six hitless innings at Bowie on May 23.

High-A Eugene
Shortstop Diego Velasquez, the Giants’ No. 18 prospect per MLB Pipeline, went 3-for-6 with two triples and a career-high four RBIs in the Emeralds’ 20-5 rout at Tri-City on Tuesday. The 20-year-old Venezuelan entered Saturday batting .284 with a .788 OPS and two homers over 42 games this season.

Single-A San Jose
Outfielder Wade Meckler (No. 16) hit his first home run of the season in a rehab game with San Jose on Tuesday, though he took only two at-bats before being replaced in left field in the bottom of the fourth inning. Meckler, 24, has been working his way back from a wrist issue that forced him to miss the first six weeks of the Minor League season.
I wonder what the story is with Spencer Bivens (yes, that is him in the picture). If you look at his BBRef page (that I've linked), you'll see he pitched two years in college (2017 and 2018) at an advanced age. Maybe he went to a school before then BBRef doesn't have access to stats (I work at a school who has a DII baseball team but for whom BBRef doesn't have stats for their players who have gone professional) but it is unusual, even in a scenario like that, to see a player's last two years of college ball be his age 23 and 24 years. Then he disappears in 2019, only to resurface in 2020 (of all years) in one of the only minor leagues that played that year. He bounced around indy ball from 2020 to 2023, before the Giants signed him just before he turned 28 years old.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I regret to inform everyone that @filosofy29 's favorite minor leaguer, Damon Dues, has been released by the Giants' organization on June 4th. He had posted the 3rd worst OPS (.500) among Flying Squirrels this year. Only Vaun Brown (.425), and his replacement, Alerick Soularie (.200) have lower OPS.
On the bright side, I hear that means no more dues! Well, at least that is my assumption and have stopped my dues accordingly. If I suddenly disappear, then, well, my assumption was wrong.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! The running game isn't getting stopped by the San Jose Giants' catching corp. Four players had donned the tools of ignorance in SJ (Onil Perez, Zach Morgan, Jack Payton and Thomas Gavello) and have combined to throw out only 14 of 102 attempted base stealers! Payton has been the best at stopping the running game, throwing out 1 of 4 runners attempting to steal in 4 games behind the plate.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I regret to inform everyone that @filosofy29 's favorite minor leaguer, Damon Dues, has been released by the Giants' organization on June 4th. He had posted the 3rd worst OPS (.500) among Flying Squirrels this year. Only Vaun Brown (.425), and his replacement, Alerick Soularie (.200) have lower OPS.
On the bright side, I hear that means no more dues! Well, at least that is my assumption and have stopped my dues accordingly. If I suddenly disappear, then, well, my assumption was wrong.
Did he mail himself to Filo as his final act?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! The running game isn't getting stopped by the San Jose Giants' catching corp. Four players had donned the tools of ignorance in SJ (Onil Perez, Zach Morgan, Jack Payton and Thomas Gavello) and have combined to throw out only 14 of 102 attempted base stealers! Payton has been the best at stopping the running game, throwing out 1 of 4 runners attempting to steal in 4 games behind the plate.
It may be the pitchers. The Giants are notorious for not teaching their pitchers how to hold runners on.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone is gonna pay for this....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. I found out his middle name was Dintpay and had to get rid of him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hayden Birdsong and Grant McCray moving up to Triple-A, the Giants did release C/IF Donny Sands. He had 9 hits in 51 at-bats during his brief time with Sacramento.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hayden Birdsong and Grant McCray moving up to Triple-A, the Giants did release C/IF Donny Sands. He had 9 hits in 51 at-bats during his brief time with Sacramento.
So the Cats are sans Sands?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His signing didn't make that much sense to begin with. The Giants had just signed Casali and sent down Reetz 3 days earlier and activated Bailey and sent Sabol down three days later. They have carried 4 catchers in AAA from that time until today. And not one of those four have hit well at all in AAA.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come we never find anyone like Gunnar Henderson

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marco Luciano (hamstring) is set to begin a rehab assignment with the Sacramento River Cats.