• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The path has already been blazed. It will be his fault if he doesn’t follow it.

However, Poo Holes was a 13th rounder and Piazza was a 62nd rounder. Brown was an 10th rounder. He should be BETTER than Poo Holes and Piazza.
Basically, Brown will break at least one record set by Barry Bonds.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another outstanding performance by Harrison tonight in Richmond.

6 IP

2 H

0 R/ER

3 W

3 K

His ERA at Richmond is 3.19. Toss out his 2nd start (3.2 IP, 6 ER) and his ERA shrinks to 2.07

The concerns are twofold for Harrison.

1) Innings. He's only 20, and you don't want him pitching 200 (or whatever) innings at this age. He's already at 71 innings on the year, and extrapolates to 140.

2) His walk rate at High A San Jose was 3.1/9 innings. His walk rate at AA Richmond is 4.7/9 innings.

Still, the young man looks very promising. Doubt he'll get a cuppo this year, but he may get a few starts for Sacramento.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another outstanding performance by Harrison tonight in Richmond.

6 IP

2 H

0 R/ER

3 W

3 K

His ERA at Richmond is 3.19. Toss out his 2nd start (3.2 IP, 6 ER) and his ERA shrinks to 2.07

The concerns are twofold for Harrison.

1) Innings. He's only 20, and you don't want him pitching 200 (or whatever) innings at this age. He's already at 71 innings on the year, and extrapolates to 140.

2) His walk rate at High A San Jose was 3.1/9 innings. His walk rate at AA Richmond is 4.7/9 innings.

Still, the young man looks very promising. Doubt he'll get a cuppo this year, but he may get a few starts for Sacramento.
No need to rush him up this year. Next year will still be super early, but it looks like that is when we will see him.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a general question... From what those here, have seen in the past, example many of our blue chip and semi-blue chip prospects have under-preformed and caused us worry, do most blue chip and semi-bluechip have few back slides on their road to the show or is it at least somewhat common for this to happen? :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a general question... From what those here, have seen in the past, example many of our blue chip and semi-blue chip prospects have under-preformed and caused us worry, do most blue chip and semi-bluechip have few back slides on their road to the show or is it at least somewhat common for this to happen? :noidea:
Let’s take a look at some of our blue chippers over the last 15 years or so…

Posey
Alderson
Villalona
Bumgarner
Lincecum
Belt
Cabrera
Fox
Wheeler
Joseph (??)

Of these 10, I would say 5 were at least primarily busts (Alderson, Villalona, Cabrera, Fox, Joseph (kinda)) and 5 have been legit (Posey, Bum, Timmeh, Belt and Wheeler).

For the busts, Alderson pretty much advanced through the minors based on rep alone. He had some decent years in the low levels, but never looked good in the higher minors. Basically, after the trade, he fell off the map. Villalona was sidetracked by non baseball issues. Cabrera is one of the more tragic baseball stories you will ever hear. Fox is flirting with the majors now, but only after a bit of org-hopping. Joseph had a few decent seasons in the bigs, but as a 1B, not a catcher, and he didn’t stay long enough to set himself up financially for his life.

The hits that stayed with us (Posey, Timmeh, Bum and Belt) all pretty much cruised through the minors if I remember correctly. Bum had some attitude issues that caused him to struggle a bit at one time, but it wasn’t anything long term. Belt worried me because he never seemed to face any hardship in the minors. His knowledge of the strike zone was apparent from day 1. Timmeh and Buster both came in pretty polished (both were Golden Spikes winners out of college) and breezed through the minors.

For these BLUE CHIPPERS, they were either studs from day 1 or had pedigree that fizzled pretty quick. i think we only have 2 prospects now that would make this list (Luciano and Harrison). I don’t think either are currently flirting with the bust tendencies we see from the busts listed here. So, imho, no worries on either of them yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And don’t you think it is time to forgive McGehee? That was what, 5 years ago? He loved the Giants. Sometimes coming home just isn’t the right thing. And his attitude with helping Duffy was pretty legendary.

IMHO, he was an OK Giant…

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posey
Alderson
Villalona
Bumgarner
Lincecum
Belt
Cabrera
Fox
Wheeler
Joseph (??)

Of these 10, I would say 5 were at least primarily busts (Alderson, Villalona, Cabrera, Fox, Joseph (kinda)) and 5 have been legit (Posey, Bum, Timmeh, Belt and Wheeler).

For the busts, Alderson pretty much advanced through the minors based on rep alone. He had some decent years in the low levels, but never looked good in the higher minors. Basically, after the trade, he fell off the map. Villalona was sidetracked by non baseball issues. Cabrera is one of the more tragic baseball stories you will ever hear. Fox is flirting with the majors now, but only after a bit of org-hopping. Joseph had a few decent seasons in the bigs, but as a 1B, not a catcher, and he didn’t stay long enough to set himself up financially for his life.

The hits that stayed with us (Posey, Timmeh, Bum and Belt) all pretty much cruised through the minors if I remember correctly. Bum had some attitude issues that caused him to struggle a bit at one time, but it wasn’t anything long term. Belt worried me because he never seemed to face any hardship in the minors. His knowledge of the strike zone was apparent from day 1. Timmeh and Buster both came in pretty polished (both were Golden Spikes winners out of college) and breezed through the minors.

For these BLUE CHIPPERS, they were either studs from day 1 or had pedigree that fizzled pretty quick. i think we only have 2 prospects now that would make this list (Luciano and Harrison). I don’t think either are currently flirting with the bust tendencies we see from the busts listed here. So, imho, no worries on either of them yet.
And don’t you think it is time to forgive McGehee? That was what, 5 years ago? He loved the Giants. Sometimes coming home just isn’t the right thing. And his attitude with helping Duffy was pretty legendary.

IMHO, he was an OK Giant…
You Have to admit he was great at the Gidp. I will give it a few days and put in my new signature.

As to the former Quoted post: It was also a general question for all Blue Chippers and semi-Blue chippers in MLB. Although it may hard to ascertain whether sailing through the minors with few setbacks is a good indicator of success in baseball in general.

P.S. I wish Duffy hadn't gotten that particular injury as he was a Very Fun player before the injury.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Have to admit he was great at the Gidp. I will give it a few days and put in my new signature.

As to the former Quoted post: It was also a general question for all Blue Chippers and semi-Blue chippers in MLB. Although it may hard to ascertain whether sailing through the minors with few setbacks is a good indicator of success in baseball in general.

P.S. I wish Duffy hadn't gotten that particular injury as he was a Very Fun player before the injury.
Without doing any research on it, I do think a few blue chippers work out in spite of adversity in the minor leagues. Not sure how many or if that is a rare exception to the rule.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I kept it to the Giants because that was the info I had in my head with very minimal research. Doing that kind of breakdown league wide would be a huge project that I am not interested in doing. Also, one person’s opinion of a “Blue-Chipper” will very greatly from person to person. Was Joseph a Blue Chipper? Fox? Alderson? I think all the others are pretty clear, but the next person might disagree. And being a Blue Chipper is totally trivial anyway. Crawford, for example was a “prospect”, but never really a “Blue Chipper”. Does that even matter? Same with Webb. How about Bart?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree that he was frustrating to watch. But, IMHO, still calling him out 5+ years later is overkill. Especially for a guy who is a lot like us…. A BIG Giants fan. He probably let his nerves playing for his childhood team get the better of him, and he couldn’t handle that extra adrenaline.

Dont let my take on your sig influence you. I am just talking out of boredom. You can have whatever you want as your sig. I actually suspect you completely forgot it was even there. LOL

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posey
Alderson
Villalona
Bumgarner
Lincecum
Belt
Cabrera
Fox
Wheeler
Joseph (??)

I think you have to include Bart on that list. Highly regarded, draft pedigree. Will he bust? Who knows.