• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Night in Sacramento has been an offensive game so far. Jakob Junis has been rocked for 5 runs in 3.1, allowing 2 walks and 5 hits while striking out 2. Luis Ortiz came on in relief and has looked really good, going 2.2 with only a hit, getting 3 Ks.
On the offensive side, Heliot Ramos and David Villar providing most of the fireworks. Ramos hit a 2 run home run in the 1st and Villar a 3 run jack in the 2nd inning. Its 6-5 RiverCats going into the 7th inning.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Night in Sacramento has been an offensive game so far. Jakob Junis has been rocked for 5 runs in 3.1, allowing 2 walks and 5 hits while striking out 2. Luis Ortiz came on in relief and has looked really good, going 2.2 with only a hit, getting 3 Ks.
On the offensive side, Heliot Ramos and David Villar providing most of the fireworks. Ramos hit a 2 run home run in the 1st and Villar a 3 run jack in the 2nd inning. Its 6-5 RiverCats going into the 7th inning.
RiverCats win, 7-6, on a walk off single by Villar! Mauricio Llovera pitched 2 good innings, with 3 Ks, but Matt Carasiti came on in the 8th and almost gave the game away. Fortunately, he only allowed 1 run on 2 hits, a hit batter and a walk (although the run scored on a passed ball by Ricardo Genoves).
Villar, Ramos and Jaylin Davis were the stars on offense. Hoping that all 3 get a call at some point this season (of course, that would mean a really bad 2022 or lots of injuries).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento RiverCats roster
Pitchers (18)
: Matt Carasiti, Cody Carroll, Kervin Castro, Enmanuel de Jesus, Raynel Espinal, Sean Hjelle, Wei-Chieh Huang, Jakob Kunis, Mauricio Llovera, Joey Marciano, Yunior Marte, Luis Ortiz, Corey Oswalt, Michael Plassmeyer, Gregory Santos, Peter Tago, Jeremy Walker, Trevor Williams
Catchers (2): Ricardo Genoves, Jhonny Pereda
Infielders (5): Alex Blandino, 2nd; Arquimedes Gamboa, ss; Jason Krizan, 1st; Wyatt Mathisen, 2nd; David Villar, 3rd
Outfielders (6): Jaylin Davis, Austin Dean, Luis Gonzalez, Bryce Gonzalez, Heliot Ramos, Ka'ai Tom

Not very many surprises on this roster. I don't know why Michael Plassmeyer is on the roster instead of Matt Frisbee or one of Enmanuel de Jesus, Wei-Chieh Huang, Peter Tago or Jeremy Walker instead of Bryan Brickhouse and Pat Ruotolo. I would also have liked to see Diego Rincones on the roster instead of Ka'ai Tom. Rincones looked good at AA last year while Tom performed poorly, when healthy, in AAA.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RiverCats win, 7-6, on a walk off single by Villar! Mauricio Llovera pitched 2 good innings, with 3 Ks, but Matt Carasiti came on in the 8th and almost gave the game away. Fortunately, he only allowed 1 run on 2 hits, a hit batter and a walk (although the run scored on a passed ball by Ricardo Genoves).
Villar, Ramos and Jaylin Davis were the stars on offense. Hoping that all 3 get a call at some point this season (of course, that would mean a really bad 2022 or lots of injuries).
So heavy on hitting and light on pitching....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So heavy on hitting and light on pitching....
The score would suggest that but the box score would suggest that only half of the 4 pitchers were not good. The middle 4 frames saw some very good pitching from the RiverCats.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Richmond's roster:
1649296265822.pngDisappointments; Solomon Bates, Jake Dahlberg and Blake Rivera (or John Russell and Tyler Schimpf, they all fit in the same bucket) on the roster but Seth Corry, Travis Perry and Austin Reich not on it. Bates, Dahlberg and Rivera didn't look that good in Eugene last year but all get moved up. Perry and Reich, meanwhile, looked great last year in Eugene and have nothing left to prove by repeating there. Corry got knocked around in Eugene but not as badly as Dahlberg and Rivera. Not sure why he, with his pedigree, wouldn't be the one, of those three, moved up.
Shane Matheny over Simon Whiteman. Both are more defensively minded middle infielders but I'd rather see Whiteman, who actually hit decently in Eugene, over Matheny, who has stalled in Richmond the past couple of years.
Michael Gigliotti and Jacob Heyward over Ismael Munguia and Armani Smith. Okay, I get that Heyward has a brother in the big leagues and he wasn't awful last year in AA but Gigliotti is a real head scratcher. He was claimed off waivers last off season from the Rays and hasn't hit well anywhere above low A ball. Yet he gets the nod over Munguia and Smith. Smith was decent in Eugene but Munguia looked good and deserved the promotion.
I already mentioned my disappointment about Brickhouse, Frisbee, Ruotolo and Rincones not being on the AAA squad. They deserved the promotion that they didn't get.
Surprises: Not nearly as many on this list. Rob Emery on the AA roster is cool. He hit well last year but I thought he'd get buried behind Bailey, Genoves and Auerbach. However, with Genoves in AAA and Auerbach playing the super utility role, hopefully Emery gets some playing time and does well.
I'm surprised Frankie Tostado is even around! I like seeing him on the roster, just because of his name.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Giants announced their opening roster yet? Auerbach is listed with Richmond, so obviously he has finally been “cut”.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Giants announced their opening roster yet? Auerbach is listed with Richmond, so obviously he has finally been “cut”.
I guess Auerbach can still be in big league camp while also assigned to Richmond? Richmond starts the season 4 days after the Giants. Neither the big league club nor Eugene have announced their rosters yet.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice roster.

Bednar, Mikulski, McRay, Bericoto, Arteaga, Sugastey…

All legit prospects
I've seen some prospect lists ranking Sugastey higher than Bailey and Genoves. It will be interesting to see how he does this year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher Michael Plassmeyer had a nice AAA debut with the River Cats last night: 5 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 strikeouts, and 6 groundouts

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher Michael Plassmeyer had a nice AAA debut with the River Cats last night: 5 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 strikeouts, and 6 groundouts
Glad to hear that he's looking good so far. I was hoping Frisbee would be in AAA but if Plassmeyer can work himself into a solid AAA replacement then that is great!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rough timeline of when I expect some of the prospects up:

2022 - Bart, Ramos, Hjelle
2023 - Luciano, Matos, Harrison
2024 - Bednar, Bishop, Auerbach, Pomares

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rough timeline of when I expect some of the prospects up:

2022 - Bart, Ramos, Hjelle
2023 - Luciano, Matos, Harrison
2024 - Bednar, Bishop, Auerbach, Pomares
If you are talking cuppos, than maybe.

I can see Bednar getting his cuppo as early as this year, if everything lines up right. One of the main reasons he was drafted was because he was so advanced and almost ripe.

Luciano getting his cuppo next year is aggressive, but certainly within the realm of possibility. Definitely a stretch, though. Same with Matos.

I think they will be more aggressive with Auerbach. I wouldn’t be super surprised to see him get his THIS year.

I am losing patience with Bishop. Any time table you assign to him, imho, is fine. Not sure he is going to do anything at this point.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing official yet but I'm pretty sure that this will be the Eugene Emeralds' Opening Day roster:
Pitchers (17) - Abel Adames, Nick Avila, Prelander Berroa, Seth Corry, Brooks Crawford, Evan Gates, Kyle Harrison, Clay Helvey, Wil Jensen, Nick Morreale, Randy Rodriguez, Juan Sanchez, Brett Standlee, Nick Swiney, Cole Waites, Ty Weber, Jake Wong
Catchers (3) - Patrick Bailey, Rodolfo Bone, Ronaldo Flores
Infielders (6) - Carter Aldrete, 3rd; Jimmy Glowenke, ss; Marco Luciano, ss; Ghordy Santos, 2nd; Casey Schmitt, 3rd; Luis Toribio, 3rd
Outfielders (4) - Hunter Bishop, Luis Matos, Jairo Pomares, Armani Smith

The potential in the lineup is tremendous. I don't know if either Schmitt or Toribio will shift to 1st base but if they can run out a lineup like this, the team has high powered potential:
Ghordy Santos, dh
Luis Matos, cf
Jairo Pomares, rf
Marco Luciano, ss
Luis Toribio, 3rd
Patrick Bailey, c
Casey Schmitt, 1st
Hunter Bishop, lf
Jimmy Glowenke, 2nd

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Corry in A+?

is he even a prospect anymore? He was in A+ in ‘19.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Corry in A+?

is he even a prospect anymore? He was in A+ in ‘19.
He's a pick from the previous regime, correct? FZ seems to favor guys he's signed off the minor league free agent market over guys who are 1st round picks from the previous regime (look at Richmond's pitching staff and explain why some of those guys are in AA and Corry is not).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a pick from the previous regime, correct? FZ seems to favor guys he's signed off the minor league free agent market over guys who are 1st round picks from the previous regime (look at Richmond's pitching staff and explain why some of those guys are in AA and Corry is not).
3rd rounder in ‘17. So yes, he is a Sabey Sabes guy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd rounder in ‘17. So yes, he is a Sabey Sabes guy.
Whoops, forgot he was a 3rd round pick, but the point still stands. FZ's regime shows almost zero interest in moving players that came from Sabean's watch. Exhibits A through E sit on the Richmond roster as late 20 something castoffs from other orgs.