• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2016)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that Gomez hasn't been promoted yet. He has nothing to prove at low A ball. Last I saw, the SJ Giants only had 23 players on their roster (2 catchers and 4 infielders).

I don't get it. They play him at DH almost half the time. 3B seems to be his best position. Maybe they have a fielding instructor in Augusta that is working close with him. Can't think of any other reason.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man we sure can crank out catchers in this org, can't we?

Buster
Brownie
Sac
Garcia
Gomez.

That's impressive org depth.

Gomez is hardly a catcher anymore. Hasn't played an inning there since last year. Tried out some in the instructional league this year but they abandoned it, it seems.

Garcia is doing some light work on the field now, hopefully he can return by August.

Reactions: LHG

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished post-start interview with Cain;

On his hamstring;
“It’s not even something that I’m even thinking about. Where it was in my start when I came back after 2 weeks, I made a bad decision trying to push it too early"

On plan going forward into AS break;
“We’ll sit down and figure out what the AS break brings and go from there.Wanted to get around 75 pitches today and we did that."

Facing Aoki;
“It was a little interesting, I had forgotten that he was with SEA. When they told me the lineup, it shocked me. “You feel bad you hit him. Luckily he had a pad on, was no big deal. Kinda chatted with him while walking off field"

Carried a no hitter into the sixth inning, lost it on his final batter, departed with runner on first and second (walk and single). Mazzaro came on and gave up a double to score the two runs.

Cain's final line: 5 2/3 IP, 1 H, 2 BB's, 2 ER, 1 HBP. Threw 73 pitches, few hard balls hit at him and had to hustle to first a few times, moved well.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On his hamstring;
“It’s not even something that I’m even thinking about. Where it was in my start when I came back after 2 weeks, I made a bad decision trying to push it too early"

“We’ll sit down and figure out what the AS break brings and go from there.Wanted to get around 75 pitches today and we did that."

Facing Aoki;
“It was a little interesting, I had forgotten that he was with SEA. When they told me the lineup, it shocked me. “You feel bad you hit him. Luckily he had a pad on, was no big deal. Kinda chatted with him while walking off field"

Carried a no hitter into the sixth inning, lost it on his final batter, departed with runner on first and second (walk and single). Mazzaro came on and gave up a double to score the two runs.

Cain's final line: 5 2/3 IP, 1 H, 2 BB's, 2 ER, 1 HBP. Threw 73 pitches, few hard balls hit at him and had to hustle to first a few times, moved well.
Good work out there GPC!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On his hamstring;

Facing Aoki;

Nice work and report, Matt. Keep it up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miguel Gomez goes 4-5. Average up to .381

Dylan Davis goes 4-5 with a homer. Now has three in 10 games since being promoted.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing, GPC. I remember back to 2009, how I wanted him to become the regular 1st baseman for the team. I was so glad that he had such a memorable hit for the team in 2014. I don't know how much longer he'll play but I'll be rooting for him.

Thanks for checking it out LHG. He was incredibly kind and a pleasure to interview. Definitely one of the great guys in baseball

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been awhile. Sorry.

Bryan Reynolds hit his first professional homer tonight, along with 3 hits. His OF running mates, and fellow 2016 draftees, Gio Brusa and Heath Quinn also had 3 hits each. Brusa hit his 3rd homer. Ryan Howard, 2016 5th rounder, hit his first professional homer as well.

Reynolds is batting .395, Quinn batting .306, and Brusa .379.

Matt Krook is in Salem as well (kinda surprising to me). In 2 starts, he's gone 8.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 6 BB, 6 Ks (also he's hit 2 guys).

Kyle Crick has posted 2 good lines in a row: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 Ks. This was after 6, 1-hit shutout innings (though with 5 walks and 3 Ks)

Arroyo is heating up, just went 4-4 with 2 doubles.

Phil Bickford had a good outing today. 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 Ks. Only threw 66 pitches. If this was a full-length game, I wonder how far he would have gone (only 7 innings with the double-header).

Miguel Gomez with 2 more hits. Still batting .371

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Heath Quinn showing off the athleticism for this catch. ESPN put it in their top-10

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been awhile. Sorry.

Bryan Reynolds hit his first professional homer tonight, along with 3 hits. His OF running mates, and fellow 2016 draftees, Gio Brusa and Heath Quinn also had 3 hits each. Brusa hit his 3rd homer. Ryan Howard, 2016 5th rounder, hit his first professional homer as well.

Reynolds is batting .395, Quinn batting .306, and Brusa .379.

Matt Krook is in Salem as well (kinda surprising to me). In 2 starts, he's gone 8.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 6 BB, 6 Ks (also he's hit 2 guys).

Kyle Crick has posted 2 good lines in a row: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 Ks. This was after 6, 1-hit shutout innings (though with 5 walks and 3 Ks)

Arroyo is heating up, just went 4-4 with 2 doubles.

Phil Bickford had a good outing today. 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 Ks. Only threw 66 pitches. If this was a full-length game, I wonder how far he would have gone (only 7 innings with the double-header).

Miguel Gomez with 2 more hits. Still batting .371

So you're saying he has cooled off. He was at .380 a few days ago. Dude has no future as a hitter.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Miguel Gomez finally got promoted to San Jose.

Interesting also that Matt Reynolds got promoted to Sacramento. Since they already had a couple of lefties in the pen, and given Reynolds' previous major league history, is he auditioning for a bullpen slot next year? Or even this year? The latter is unlikely but one never knows.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting also that Matt Reynolds got promoted to Sacramento. Since they already had a couple of lefties in the pen, and given Reynolds' previous major league history, is he auditioning for a bullpen slot next year? Or even this year? The latter is unlikely but one never knows.
I wouldn't be surprised if Reynolds is looked at as a possible fix for the bullpen, in case they need two lefties. They will probably trade for one but if the other (Lopez or Osich, whoever is left in the pen after the trade) still falters, they may bring Reynolds up. Okert hasn't looked good in the MLB and he's been only okay in AAA. Alex Torres, the other journeyman lefty pitching in Sacramento, has looked even worse than Okert.

With Reynolds up to AAA, the team sent Austin Fleet to San Jose. That leaves a roster spot open in Richmond. I wonder if Reyes Moronta gets to move up to Richmond soon. There are too many players on SJ's roster and not a full roster in Richmond, and he makes the most sense for a promotion.

Last note, the org also brought Bryan Case up from the AZL to catch in SJ. The team has been usually carrying 2 catchers all year, but now have 3 with Case up (technically, the team roster page shows 4, with Gomez listed as catcher, but we all know that isn't true). Either Rene Melendez or Ty Ross is banged up or the org isn't thrilled with the production from either. Or maybe Garcia has been shut down for the year so they wanted to showcase another catcher in SJ.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

About damn time for Gomez.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Reynolds up to AAA, the team sent Austin Fleet to San Jose. That leaves a roster spot open in Richmond. I wonder if Reyes Moronta gets to move up to Richmond soon. There are too many players on SJ's roster and not a full roster in Richmond, and he makes the most sense for a promotion.

I'm going purely on memory here (haven't bothered to look at up-to-the-moment San Jose stats)...but maybe Pat Young? He's had some stumbles of late but had a really good first few months of the season.

But speaking of Moronta...has anyone investigated if there's some sort curse or voodoo placed on the Richmond bullpen??? Seems like EVERYONE who tries to close instead throws gas on the fire. If I'm Moronta, I might not want a promotion just now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going purely on memory here (haven't bothered to look at up-to-the-moment San Jose stats)...but maybe Pat Young? He's had some stumbles of late but had a really good first few months of the season.

But speaking of Moronta...has anyone investigated if there's some sort curse or voodoo placed on the Richmond bullpen??? Seems like EVERYONE who tries to close instead throws gas on the fire. If I'm Moronta, I might not want a promotion just now.

I don't know what's going on in Richmond, but you're right pitchers are just totally imploding there. Which is weird because it's a pretty average-leaning pitcher friendly park/league. And this is coming from the Cal League, which is one of the top offensive leagues.

Pat Young should probably stay down awhile longer. He's still learning the craft of relief pitching, and still walks too many guys. Moronta would be the guy to move up, or some random journeyman reliever.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what's going on in Richmond, but you're right pitchers are just totally imploding there. Which is weird because it's a pretty average-leaning pitcher friendly park/league. And this is coming from the Cal League, which is one of the top offensive leagues.

Pat Young should probably stay down awhile longer. He's still learning the craft of relief pitching, and still walks too many guys. Moronta would be the guy to move up, or some random journeyman reliever.
The Richmond implosion is awfully weird. Its not like the opposite is happening with the hitting (with a couple of exceptions). Maybe the pitching coach isn't working out too well there?

I agree about Young. He has struggled quite a bit recently (6.75 ERA, 1.950 WHIP in July) but he's not spring chicken for high A ball either (24 years old). Of course, Moronta is only a year younger so I think he deserves the promotion. See how he handles the adversity that is 2016 Richmond ball.