• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2016)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I'll be. The land of my birth. Doing family things. Sort of a pilgrimage. I actually grew up in St. Anthony in NE Minneapolis. My dad taught at the U of M, and I spent many a day riding my bike to Dinkytown and ice skating and playing hoops at Williams Arena.

I read some time ago that my great-great-great-grandfather was a Lutheran church planter in Minnesota, and now I am a church planter in California. Odd, or maybe not. Since my family of origin was decidedly not religious, though there was debate whether Hubert Humphrey might be the 4th member of the Trinity, lots of stories got glossed over. I hope not to gloss over stories for my kids. Heck, I even told my son once about Gibson's home run in 1988. Come to think of it, the Dogs haven't won anything since my son was born. Good lad.
Enjoy your trip Stokes and thanks for doing that work.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I'll be. The land of my birth. Doing family things. Sort of a pilgrimage. I actually grew up in St. Anthony in NE Minneapolis. My dad taught at the U of M, and I spent many a day riding my bike to Dinkytown and ice skating and playing hoops at Williams Arena.

I read some time ago that my great-great-great-grandfather was a Lutheran church planter in Minnesota, and now I am a church planter in California. Odd, or maybe not. Since my family of origin was decidedly not religious, though there was debate whether Hubert Humphrey might be the 4th member of the Trinity, lots of stories got glossed over. I hope not to gloss over stories for my kids. Heck, I even told my son once about Gibson's home run in 1988. Come to think of it, the Dogs haven't won anything since my son was born. Good lad.

My Dad's side of the family hails from Winona (in fact my aunt still lives there). I went to LS at the U, and lived off of Loring Park for three years (11th and Hennepin). I could handle the winters but the summers were just awful. Graduated in 2004, but I've been back a few times since. Things have really changed downtown with the new stadium.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Green has been joined on the disabled list by Austin Slater. The outfield in Sacramento now consists of Robbie Garvey, Gorkys Hernandez, Travis Ishikawa and Ryan Lollis.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Dad's side of the family hails from Winona (in fact my aunt still lives there). I went to LS at the U, and lived off of Loring Park for three years (11th and Hennepin). I could handle the winters but the summers were just awful. Graduated in 2004, but I've been back a few times since. Things have really changed downtown with the new stadium.

I have gotten spoiled in California by the absence of humidity. Fortunately, as a kid, we spent a good deal of time near St. Cloud (Annandale, actually) at Lake Sylvia. Little town called South Haven was the closest, population less than 200. No different today. Lots of corn being grown there. I loved riding my bike over the "singing bridge" on Hennepin. I went to Target Field in 2010 when it first opened. Nice digs for the Twinkies. Of course, I also went to the old Met as a kid, and then the Metrodome (awful). Used to go to Vikings games with the parents. Brother and I would sit in the end zone and they sat at the 50. Great in September-October. Chilly in November. Arctic in December-January. Go Gophers! :D

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gotten spoiled in California by the absence of humidity. Fortunately, as a kid, we spent a good deal of time near St. Cloud (Annandale, actually) at Lake Sylvia. Little town called South Haven was the closest, population less than 200. No different today. Lots of corn being grown there. I loved riding my bike over the "singing bridge" on Hennepin. I went to Target Field in 2010 when it first opened. Nice digs for the Twinkies. Of course, I also went to the old Met as a kid, and then the Metrodome (awful). Used to go to Vikings games with the parents. Brother and I would sit in the end zone and they sat at the 50. Great in September-October. Chilly in November. Arctic in December-January. Go Gophers! :D
Go Gophs! Ya, youbetcha!

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have missed three of Mejia's first SAC starts now. SMH.

Working to line up player interviews for profiles now. Gregorio, Mejia, Ishikawa, Blackburn, all trying to see who would be available.

Hoping Cain's rehab start on Friday comes in Sacramento, though could be in San Jose.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Jose combined for a 1-hit shutout today. And it was a bunt.

Bickford (5IP)-Young (2IP)-Cyr (2IP)

Bickford: 1H (bunt single), 0R, 3BB, 7K. 89 pitches. Wasn't nearly as dominant as his first start, today his slider wasn't working as well and his command was just off in general. This dude is just athletic as heck (young Tim-Lincecum esq.) and deceptive. He doesn't throw hard but he doesn't need to. Remember Jonathan Sanchez and his fastball? Hitters were always swinging through it, but it was only 91-92 usually. He was so hard to pick up though and the ball just hopped. Bickford is similar. If this guy can develop that chanegup.... lookout baseball.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Heston to the DL

Tyler Rogers promoted to Sacramento.

Rodolfo Martinez promoted to Richmond

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Velocity isn't everything, but my god Rodolfo and Ray Black in that bullpen together. Two guys who throw 100-102 with ease.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Velocity isn't everything, but my god Rodolfo and Ray Black in that bullpen together. Two guys who throw 100-102 with ease.

Lord knows Shitshowzjia knows that....

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think I should consider health insurance. It's only so long before the River Cats plethora of injuries makes its way to the press box.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Angel Villalona be nearing the end of his time with the organization? He spent the first month of 2016 on the disabled list, played in 4 games between the last week of April/first week of May (going 1 for 8 with 3 walks) before going back on the dl on May 7th. He got activated on June 11th and has gone 2 for 20 with no walks in 6 games. He started the first 5 games after being activated but has only made one pinch hitting appearance since then, on June 14th.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Beede cruising in June: 35.1 IP, 23 H, 9 BB, 28 Ks, 1.53 ERA.

This is coming off a 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K line, where he was perfect through 5 innings (59 pitches).

Stock rising.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you rank the orgs top 3 prospects right now?

Right now, I have Arroyo / Bickford / Beede. Do you still have it as Arroyo / Beede / Bickford?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you rank the orgs top 3 prospects right now?

Right now, I have Arroyo / Bickford / Beede. Do you still have it as Arroyo / Beede / Bickford?

Bickford has made quite the impression this season. He could be pushing number 1 by the post season. Arroyo hasn't been great but the flashes are still there. Beede has righted the narrative ship as well. His ceiling may not be as high as it once was though.

I'll agree with you and go Arroyo/Bickford/Beede, but I may be tempted to flip Arroyo and Philly.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford has made quite the impression this season. He could be pushing number 1 by the post season. Arroyo hasn't been great but the flashes are still there. Beede has righted the narrative ship as well. His ceiling may not be as high as it once was though.

I'll agree with you and go Arroyo/Bickford/Beede, but I may be tempted to flip Arroyo and Philly.
Not saying you were being harsh, but you are being too harsh on Arroyo;s numbers this year. He is doing that in the EL. His numbers are still moderately good while being 3.5 years young for the league. Arroyo is still a stud, and IMHO, has done NOTHING to lose the #1 title. Beede has done fine as well, but the way Bickford has pitched, has wrested the #2 title away from him.

Regardless, I think all 3 are legit blue-chippers.