• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins Trading the #3 Overall to the San Francisco 49ers

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the idea but Watson was #3 in 2017, Mahomes was #2 and Trubisky went #1 so that may not be as big of a deal when you have talented QB's waiting to be drafted.
I understand that the 1st one taken isn't always the best.
Although Dan Marino never did win a ring
Where all along for the ride and I wasn't planning on going anywhere.

I'll add who ever the QB is he'll be going into the best situation to succeed.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that the 1st one taken isn't always the best.
Although Dan Marino never did win a ring
Where all along for the ride and I wasn't planning on going anywhere.

I'll add who ever the QB is he'll be going into the best situation to succeed.

I think they looked at what they had in Jimmy and he just can't stay healthy and then decided they aren't likely to be picking this high again with the ability to move up and get a top rookie QB in a.loaded class again.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they looked at what they had in Jimmy and he just can't stay healthy and then decided they aren't likely to be picking this high again with the ability to move up and get a top rookie QB in a.loaded class again.
I agree with that. They must have felt good that they addressed the other needs by basically retaining our own and getting healthy.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tip of the cap to Miami
I'm pretty pleased as they will end up with the same player and received some guaranteed picks now. Could have waited for draft day but who knows what happens and all of sudden they are picking the same guy at 3. They also save cap love it. I bet it's either Parsons or Pitts or possibly they trade back again if QB's are still available. I just don't understand how this can happen as SP told me it was impossible to build a team through the draft and FA....in his words the odds are close to impossible.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Niners can easily walk away from Jimmy without much financial ramifications.

As a Niners fan how are you feeling about the move ? Also, who are they so high on to give up so much to move up 9 spots ?

As far as the compensation goes I'm fine with it as it's a pretty fair price for a #12 to #3 jump.

However it still makes you nervous because it's one thing to whiff on #3 but here if you whiff it's whiffing on 3 1st round picks and a 3rd which is a pretty big blow.

But for me I've always been one to want to be aggressive in getting a star QB because wants you get it, you basically punch your ticket into the playoffs every year, and you're always a contender to win it all. And you're usually set at the position for 15ish years.

Given the division where you have Wilson (for now at least), Kyler, and Stafford it's clear the 9ers had the worst QB and that's a tough hill to climb no matter how good the roster and coaching are. Ever team in the NFC West you can make a case a reasonable solid case for winning the division but being the worst at the most important position hurts your case.

This move tells me that they must love Wilson and another QB and that another QB is the one they probably predict will be there at #3. You just don't trade up this early before the draft that high up unless you're absolutely certain that the guy for sure that will be there you're 100% sold on.

So considering the 9ers are middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness with their picks a move like this tells me everyone in the building is all in for whoever the guys is.

My gut tells Trey Lance is the guy. To me it's just that type of boom or bust home run swing you make when you take a big swing like that. Not saying Trey Lance will be good as Mahomes but it's a similar situation in that if you hit on the kid than you really knock it out of the park.

I just don't see trading up that high for Mac Jones even though some reporters say don't rule it out. Wouldn't hate it but 3rd overall seems rich for Jones as my gut tells me he has a Derek Carr like ceiling.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the compensation goes I'm fine with it as it's a pretty fair price for a #12 to #3 jump.

However it still makes you nervous because it's one thing to whiff on #3 but here if you whiff it's whiffing on 3 1st round picks and a 3rd which is a pretty big blow.

But for me I've always been one to want to be aggressive in getting a star QB because wants you get it, you basically punch your ticket into the playoffs every year, and you're always a contender to win it all. And you're usually set at the position for 15ish years.

Given the division where you have Wilson (for now at least), Kyler, and Stafford it's clear the 9ers had the worst QB and that's a tough hill to climb no matter how good the roster and coaching are. Ever team in the NFC West you can make a case a reasonable solid case for winning the division but being the worst at the most important position hurts your case.

This move tells me that they must love Wilson and another QB and that another QB is the one they probably predict will be there at #3. You just don't trade up this early before the draft that high up unless you're absolutely certain that the guy for sure that will be there you're 100% sold on.

So considering the 9ers are middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness with their picks a move like this tells me everyone in the building is all in for whoever the guys is.

My gut tells Trey Lance is the guy. To me it's just that type of boom or bust home run swing you make when you take a big swing like that. Not saying Trey Lance will be good as Mahomes but it's a similar situation in that if you hit on the kid than you really knock it out of the park.

I just don't see trading up that high for Mac Jones even though some reporters say don't rule it out. Wouldn't hate it but 3rd overall seems rich for Jones as my gut tells me he has a Derek Carr like ceiling.
Fantastic post.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading everyone asking who they traded up for. If it's just one guy, they're absolute idiots, so I'm sure it isn't. It has to be 3 guys they feel are worth it because you have no clue in March what will happen on draft day and picking 3rd there needs to be 3 guys you love enough to give up an absolutely huge haul to get. Luckily for SF I think (not that I know shit) there are 3 legit superstar QBs in this draft. I think Lawrence, Wilson and Lance are all legit franchise QBs and I don't buy any of them need a year to sit and wait after watching QBs the last few years. Jimmy G just isn't a good QB and all 3 IMO are much better right out of the box year 1 and certainly by the end of the year if you let them learn on the job.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am totally with you regarding the value of a great QB, been in that camp for years. No the SF pick will not be Matt Jones, who is reporting that? The pick will be Fields or Lance and man that is a ton of risk given the bust rate QBs in the draft. As you said busting on #3 is one thing, busting on a player you gave up 3 #1's and a 3 is absolutely crippling. The Niners will fade away if that is the case because of course they will still need a QB.

I love what the Finns did, was a fan of it when they first started the plan of selling players for draft capital. As for the Eagles boy I sure didn't want to see them land Wilson. Now that that is out they picked up a future first, giving them 3 for 2021 should Wentz play 70% of his snaps as was posted earlier by dropping only 6 spots. I think that was a good trade for them as well.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Fields had his pro day yet? If the Niners have just seen Wilson and Lance then maybe Lance should be seen as the front-runner

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Fields had his pro day yet? If the Niners have just seen Wilson and Lance then maybe Lance should be seen as the front-runner
If a team watches these guys play a full season or multiple seasons and changes their mind on who the pick is based on their Pro Days they deserve to regret the decision.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team watches these guys play a full season or multiple seasons and changes their mind on who the pick is based on their Pro Days they deserve to regret the decision.
That's fair but a team trading up before a pro day seems to be taking the risk that the guy sucks at the pro day.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair but a team trading up before a pro day seems to be taking the risk that the guy sucks at the pro day.
Yes, a pro day is more about showing what they can do as an nfl qb, more so than what they did in college.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty pleased as they will end up with the same player and received some guaranteed picks now. Could have waited for draft day but who knows what happens and all of sudden they are picking the same guy at 3. They also save cap love it. I bet it's either Parsons or Pitts or possibly they trade back again if QB's are still available. I just don't understand how this can happen as SP told me it was impossible to build a team through the draft and FA....in his words the odds are close to impossible.
you should be pleased. I think it's an exciting time to be a Dolphins fan

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a suspicion @SteelersPride will want to see his post quoted.....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a suspicion @SteelersPride will want to see his post quoted.....
Lol i mean fantastic moves by the dolphins. Stunningly good. Still twisting things , but let him have it. Ive already said they’re ahead of schedule and doin well.

To be honest. Its kinda baffling what the dolphins have pulled off. They were totally incompetent. Now they are making moves upon moves, just pulling wool over teams eyes. They’re playing chess, while the eagles and the rest are playing tiddlywinks. We haven’t seen a team make this many stellar moves in some time. @Southieinnc i even added this edit.
Foot In Mouth GIF

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it can be worth the gamble if you nail it, and only time can tell, but like you said if you swing and miss it can set you back a bit ... Definitely an interesting move by the Niners....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know too. The 49ers site I visit posts every bit of rumors and news out there and really nothing so far.

I bet they keep it hush hush, if they are targeting someone they don’t want number 2 pick to have leverage on them ... I think the first pick is pretty much in stone ...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Two 1st’s. Dolphins got a great return. Obviously, they have a QB in mind. Probably Fields or Wilson, I guess they don’t care which one bc the Jets could very well snag a QB
No doubt a lot for what could be your 3rd favorite QB in a draft. Guessing in most drafts that guy does not amount to much.

But if it works and their guy is a stud it's not too big a price, of course.