• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl LVIII San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like my best chance against Mahomes is keeping him out of 4 down mode. Taking the ball ensures that Mahomes whole possession = 4 down mode. Shit, dude is so good he might get it done anyway but I think that’s my best chance.
agree...but does not ensure entire possession is 4 down territory for them. Once in FG range not necessarily 4 down territory anymore.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree...but does not ensure entire possession is 4 down territory for them. Once in FG range not necessarily 4 down territory anymore.
True. However, in hindsight, based upon talk from some Chiefs that if they scored they would go for 2, we know there is likely a 4th and ? threshold Reid would have had where he passes up FG to go for if. Is it just 4th and 1 or is it 4th and less than 5? Less than 10? We will never know…unless Reid and Mahomes are in that spot in the future.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. However, in hindsight, based upon talk from some Chiefs that if they scored they would go for 2, we know there is likely a 4th and ? threshold Reid would have had where he passes up FG to go for if. Is it just 4th and 1 or is it 4th and less than 5? Less than 10? We will never know…unless Reid and Mahomes are in that spot in the future.
True but I'd say if it's, say, 4th and 10 from the 15 they are kicking. Thinking more than 5 would, as well though of course just a guess.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is being criticized for it, but Shananhan's reasoning to take the ball isn't so bad IMO. I get that if you score on your first drive you basically allow the Chiefs to go for it on every 4th down, but that's only to tie the game because if SF went up by 3 the Chiefs would likely kick a FG on 4th down, not go for it. Then, if is tied after both teams get the ball once it becomes sudden death and you want the ball if it does.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he is being criticized for it, but Shananhan's reasoning to take the ball isn't so bad IMO. I get that if you score on your first drive you basically allow the Chiefs to go for it on every 4th down, but that's only to tie the game because if SF went up by 3 the Chiefs would likely kick a FG on 4th down, not go for it. Then, if is tied after both teams get the ball once it becomes sudden death and you want the ball if it does.
I can see it both ways, but that reasoning is a reason I don't think it's the no brainer many are saying.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it both ways, but that reasoning is a reason I don't think it's the no brainer many are saying.

Especially if the SF defense was fatigued at the end of the 4th quarter. He did screw up by not going all in for a TD, though. 3rd and 4 in the red zone probably should've been a run play and if you don't get the 1st, you go for it on 4th down. But then again, if the line had properly blocked on that 3rd and 4, it's likely a TD pass. It isn't all black and white.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially if the SF defense was fatigued at the end of the 4th quarter. He did screw up by not going all in for a TD, though. 3rd and 4 in the red zone probably should've been a run play and if you don't get the 1st, you go for it on 4th down. But then again, if the line had properly blocked on that 3rd and 4, it's likely a TD pass. It isn't all black and white.
Yep....fans and media like to use hindsight a lot (not saying you are). Look how Campbell got reamed for going for it. If memory serves SF passed up a kick, went for it, made it and got a TD out of it. They'd have been crushed had they not succeeded on the 4th down.

Did think your team had a couple 3rd and 4-5s they maybe should have run on 3rd and maybe gone on 4th assuming they picked up at least 2-3 (including the play you mentioned).

Close game, though. Either could have won. I think those saying SF choked are way off base. KC deserves credit.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close game, though. Either could have won. I think those saying SF choked are way off base. KC deserves credit.
Yep. And in the shadow of Mahomes, KC defense gets little credit. Their D was outstanding down the stretch, and thru the playoffs. Mahomes is definitely benefitting from a strong D.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And in the shadow of Mahomes, KC defense gets little credit. Their D was outstanding down the stretch, and thru the playoffs. Mahomes is definitely benefitting from a strong D.
I can see why Mahomes gets more credit but no question the D should get a good amount.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup. It's like Joe Montana in the '80s. Those Niner defenses were insanely good, but people hardly think about them.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Reid was certainly giving the defense the credit. Spags getting an extension was also met with a ton of positivity.

It's the first time Reid has heavily leaned on the defense since Mahomes got here and he was smart enough to do that even when the offense was a bit of a mess halfway through the season.