• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does cleveland prove how worthless nba coaches are?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

NBA coaches are generally not that important.
Only a handful are worth anything more than a game or two.

Its PLAYERS, PLAYERS, and then PLAYERS some more.

There is a reason why its a constant recycling of retread coaches.

Even Popovich is likely going to suddenly find himself not that great anymore when Duncan retires.

Why bother having one then? Golden State could have saved themselves $5 mil and still won 65 games.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill agree that college coaches are more important to team success than professional coaches.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't won a title yet so nothing new is happening. We've seen quite a few teams make it to the conference finals and finals with subpar coaching and its usually always because a team had a superstar in a weakass conference.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off there are some great nba coaches, popovich is a heck if a basketball coach....but Blatt is a flat out joke, dude almost got fired before mid season and he very well could win an nba finals. The guy at miami is a terrible coach, but he has 2 rings thanks to his all star team he had.

What cleveland is showing is how basketball is now AAU style and roll the ball out there and just manage minutes.

Blatt in no way is a good nba coach.

It's a different type of coaching in the NBA than at any other level. By the time players get to the NBA, it isn't really about teaching them how to play anymore. It's about fine tuning their games. It's also more about managing ego's and making minor adjustments during the game that end up making the difference.

Also, the best coaches know when to listen to their players. There were times in both Chicago and L.A. where Phil would call timeout and never say a word in the huddle. He'd let the players sort it out. Sometimes, he wouldn't even call timeout (despite my screaming "Call a fucking timeout, Phil" at my t.v.), preferring to let the players figure it out on the floor.

That's why I don't join in on the criticism of Blatt (although I will say his eye are too close together) for scrapping or allowing his offense to be scrapped. It wasn't working and he was smart enough to listen to his players. We can argue all day about whether or not he had a choice, but the fact is, the Cavs have been better since it happened.

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs are blessed with two things:

1) The East is as weak as it has been in years. We're talking about their "significant" roadblocks being Washington, Chicago, and Atlanta.
2) Lebron

It will be interesting to see how Cleveland adjusts its play to the winner of the GS/Houston series. Because lets face it, Cleveland is going to the Finals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs are blessed with two things:

1) The East is as weak as it has been in years. We're talking about their "significant" roadblocks being Washington, Chicago, and Atlanta.
2) Lebron

It will be interesting to see how Cleveland adjusts its play to the winner of the GS/Houston series. Because lets face it, Cleveland is going to the Finals.

Can you imagine how bad the East would be if Lebron had chosen to go to a Western Conference team when he left Miami?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, at least they have Bird Rights on Love. But Thompson will get 11-12 mil at least and Love at 20-22 mil.

But now it looks like Tristan will get 14-15 mil. FML!

Thompson isn't getting that much. No way. If any GM did give him that much the owner should fire him.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, it just proves that James is hard to coach. He has his idea about how the offense should flow and he doesn't really care what coaches think. It's really hard to argue with him because he's so effective at what he does but that has to be hard on a guy who's trying to call the shots. But there's also rotations, defense, match-ups, ... that he has to worry about. It's fun to bash on Putin but he does deserve some of the credit here.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching LBJ:

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a different type of coaching in the NBA than at any other level. By the time players get to the NBA, it isn't really about teaching them how to play anymore. It's about fine tuning their games. It's also more about managing ego's and making minor adjustments during the game that end up making the difference.

Also, the best coaches know when to listen to their players. There were times in both Chicago and L.A. where Phil would call timeout and never say a word in the huddle. He'd let the players sort it out. Sometimes, he wouldn't even call timeout (despite my screaming "Call a fucking timeout, Phil" at my t.v.), preferring to let the players figure it out on the floor.

That's why I don't join in on the criticism of Blatt (although I will say his eye are too close together) for scrapping or allowing his offense to be scrapped. It wasn't working and he was smart enough to listen to his players. We can argue all day about whether or not he had a choice, but the fact is, the Cavs have been better since it happened.
10/10

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, if you took Blatt off the Cavs and added virtually anyone, they would still be right where they are

Its basically Lebron carrying a bunch of guys in a horrible watered down conference

For the Cavaliers, a coach is essentially irrelevent.

The team did go 1-10 when Lebron was hurt.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, if you took Blatt off the Cavs and added virtually anyone, they would still be right where they are

Its basically Lebron carrying a bunch of guys in a horrible watered down conference

For the Cavaliers, a coach is essentially irrelevent.

The team did go 1-10 when Lebron was hurt.
Which is what it basically was the first time Lebron was in Cleveland. With Miami he had Bosh and Wade. I still think his best option was Miami or hand picked another team that was already built for a title run. Chicago or Atlanta would have been much better runs. Arizona or Dallas also would have been good choices, but for the life of me I will never understand why he chose Cleveland. For me that was like getting in the mud after you took a shower.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is what it basically was the first time Lebron was in Cleveland. With Miami he had Bosh and Wade. I still think his best option was Miami or hand picked another team that was already built for a title run. Chicago or Atlanta would have been much better runs. Arizona or Dallas also would have been good choices, but for the life of me I will never understand why he chose Cleveland. For me that was like getting in the mud after you took a shower.

He saw the young talent that Cleveland acquired over the last few years given their draft lottery luck. It's a legacy thing. He's in a prime position to deliver the title he promised to Cleveland, plus, he's not viewed as simply putting himself in the best position to win a title regardless of the team. If all the Cavs had was Kyrie Irving, Lebron stays in Miami.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He saw the young talent that Cleveland acquired over the last few years given their draft lottery luck. It's a legacy thing. He's in a prime position to deliver the title he promised to Cleveland, plus, he's not viewed as simply putting himself in the best position to win a title regardless of the team. If all the Cavs had was Kyrie Irving, Lebron stays in Miami.

Agree with all but the bold. If the Cavs had stood pat with the team that they had when he first agreed to return, I would agree with all of it. However, the only difference between what he did in Cleveland vs. Miami is that in Cleveland he waited until after he agreed to go there before making the roster changes to put him in the best position to win.

Remember, one of those #1 picks was shipped out to Minnesota for Kevin Love shortly after Lebron's return and that was just the first of the roster moves.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes in a way but GS shows what a good coach can do. SO it goes either way. Cavs Blatt is not very good but they are winning because well they play in a weak EC and they have LBJ and their role players are playing great. GS couldn't get over the hump until Kerr got there.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all but the bold. If the Cavs had stood pat with the team that they had when he first agreed to return, I would agree with all of it. However, the only difference between what he did in Cleveland vs. Miami is that in Cleveland he waited until after he agreed to go there before making the roster changes to put him in the best position to win.

Remember, one of those #1 picks was shipped out to Minnesota for Kevin Love shortly after Lebron's return and that was just the first of the roster moves.

Trojan, I agree with you as I think you may have been confused by the context of my response. Wiggins and Bennett definitely were great trade chips that Cleveland could use, and who would've thought the Knicks would be dumb enough to dump Shumpert and Smith for peanuts. Point being - if this were the same roster that the Cavs had in 2010 or 2011, Lebron would not be in Cleveland.