• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giannis with a chance to be a generational player

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His test will come when he becomes a free agent. This is where LeBron failed miserably. The Decision was maybe the worst decision one could make because even after all of LeBron's accomplishments, that infamous decision will forever loom over his legacy. Not the fact he left for Miami, but how he did it, how he announced it.

Not really. Most people have moved on from The Decision. Even those who truly don't like him, rarely mention it anymore. Lebron has even admitted that he should have done it differently.

He caught a lot of flak for several years (and deservedly so) for how he handled that free agency.

As much of a bad look as "The Decision" was, it was him using his power as a top level player to team up with two other top level players that most people had an issue with. That's the thing that some folks still cling to when criticizing him.

Since then however, we've seen more players handle their free agency in a similar fashion. It's to the point now where we expect it.

I'm not saying that it's not part of his legacy. It is and always will be. But I doubt it will do near the damage to it that you suggest.

In fact, at least from a "pro-player" perspective, what he did was actually a good thing because he showed the players that it was possible to take some control over where they spend their careers.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is not only an incredible basketball player but he's a likeable player. Easily can be the face of the NBA in a couple years. He's a guy you want to root for.

His test will come when he becomes a free agent. This is where LeBron failed miserably. The Decision was maybe the worst decision one could make because even after all of LeBron's accomplishments, that infamous decision will forever loom over his legacy. Not the fact he left for Miami, but how he did it, how he announced it.

I think had LeBron stayed in Cleveland this entire time, never went to Miami, but in 2016 was able to win Cleveland a title, after all those years of trying and getting close, would be one of the greatest sport stories ever. The hometown kid stuck with his NBA franchise, eventually overcoming it all and winning a title. Then him leaving for L.A. to create super team would be I think well received by everyone and also understood. The guy would have put so many years in Cleveland and literally lifting them from the ashes, won them a title, and now wants to ride off into the sunset with a historic franchise on a super team.

When Free Agency comes, I hope Giannis decides to stick with the Bucks. Granted, Milwaukee is a bit more better managed in the Front Office and has a good supporting cast and a good coach, but I think Giannis showing he doesn't need a big market, and wants to stay loyal to the franchise that invested in him would be awesome. Hope he stays in Milwaukee and wins a couple titles.
absolutely. You can never ignore all the good or all the bad.

LeBron "made up for" The Decision to a certain extent because he came back and won the title. thats true.

But The Decision is absolutely a significant moment in the history of the NBA. LeBron moving as he did strategically has rippled down to the entire league and really opened up a new era of player empowerment- for better- or worse.

No montage/documentary of LeBron's career would be complete without all the positive stuff he has done, and it would not be complete if they did not mention The Decision and how it was one of the worst/stupidly/short sighted choreographed fiasco's in the history of the league.

The "not one, not two, not three, etc." smoke machine bullshit is also part of that legacy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the logic..."Lebron is a top 3 player of all-time so surely he could have won" but did you really look at their roster and consider future assets (none)? They tried recruiting stars like Bosh, Wade, CP3 and others and nobody wanted in. They didn't have real assets or picks to EVEN trade for a star.

Lebron James
Mo Williams

That was it.

Then you had a bunch of role players, aging veterans or guys that had little to no value on this team at this point. That team was going nowhere, even with some decent moves getting better ROLE players...they didn't have many assets for the future bc if Lebron stayed they would still be a top 3 team in the East but they could never truly win a title with that core...other teams had way more talent and depth.

And your point about him leaving the 2nd time was worse? Not really, it was basically the same as the 1st except the team had more talent. But the team had little to no assets and picks...Kyrie was gone (their only real asset other than Lebron the year before). It was pretty much identical to his first go around.
- Top 3 or 4 seed with Lebron
- Too many superteams and talented teams elsewhere
- No draft capital
- Capped out and not able to attract stars regardless

CLE is fine now, only 2 years after Lebron leaving. All those contracts were either traded, swapped for other expiring contracts with picks or just will expire this offseason. They have probably one of the youngest rosters in the NBA, draft picks and a ton of cap space...but as I said before, they will not be able to attract star FA's. It will always be like that. They will have to use the draft and trade...the reason why they traded expiring contracts for a guy like Drummond...bc why not take a chance? They really have nothing to lose.
exactly.

And its not like we didnt get our moneys worth out of him -4 years- 4 finals runs. One title- and one likely title ruined by injuries.

The Cavs spent all the assets they had to try and win as much as they could for those 4 years- and with Crazy Kyrie, it was just coming to its natural conclusion.

And its fine- I just dont like hearing people say that LeBron had any kind of real loyalty to Cleveland. He would have never of come back if the Cavs did not have a ton of assets and cap space, etc. to put talent around him, and once that was drained he left.

LeBron always has been only loyal to LeBron.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so many of "the greatests"

so much talent in that series, the greatest comeback in the history of the NBA bar-none, likely/arguably the greatest shot in the history of the NBA, insanely talented rosters on both sides LeBron- #2 all time in NBA history at the height of his powers- with the defining play of his entire career- the play that will be the hammer on every montage of his.....just totally insane.
if the Houston Astros championship is one of the least great championships of all time, the total opposite is true of the Cavs.

and you are totally correect- Cavs are doing the right thing rebuilding---

but at some point they have to get a THE GUY---- right now they have some nice pieces- and MAYBE Garland or Porter can develop into a great player, but they still need their GUY it looks like

this draft does not look great for it, but ya never know.

Yep, the league is a star driven league. If they don't find that star...they will have no chance. So you just keep swinging away and you are going to swing and miss a hell of a lot more times than hitting that dinger

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ, I hope he stays in brew town.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Knicks, I'm building a 5 Star Greek Restaurant with the best Greek Chef in the world right next to MSG to try to lure him. Maybe, just maybe, Giannis says to himself that the Knicks are a complete mess, i'm going to help out those good fans.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfft!! He coming to the Lakers...just like everyone else...

giphy.gif

To be with his brother.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is no Colin Sexton, lol

47% from the field and 38% from 3 even though he didnt get off to the greatest start is prett nice.

he s till need to develop a floor game and pass more, but there are some things to work with.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Sportshoopla member creates thread*

Retarded cavs fan who's been MIA since last summer: "Hey look at our player on our shitty team"

Rest of the board:

giphy.gif

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retarded cavs fan who's been MIA since last summer: "Hey look at our player on our shitty team"

Rest of the board:

giphy.gif

Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! The Cavs won 19 games last year. They're sitting at 17 right now. And with 20 games remaining they have a solid chance of surpassing last years win total. Show some respect dammit!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rest of the board:

giphy.gif

In their defense you say the same thing about Warriors fans right now.