• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you cut D. Ware?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, I can make the case we could win five out of those 6. N.O. in Dallas? We could beat them. Chicago anywhere, we can play with that bunch. NFC West, Arizona and the Rams scare ya? Really? SF and Seattle, yeah, they're more talented, but if we played them at home, we could beat either of them. Besides, if we play the West, so does Wash, Philly and the NYG. What will decide our fate will be our record against the NFC East.
Wasn't trying to offend you. I just call it the way I see and how I feel.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't trying to offend you. I just call it the way I see and how I feel.

Not offended at all, I just disagree about the strength of schedule. To me, it really depends on whether Jerry goes for it again or commits to a rebuild

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not offended at all, I just disagree about the strength of schedule. To me, it really depends on whether Jerry goes for it again or commits to a rebuild
With our current state of affairs in Cowboy land, I can't see us winning more than 6 or 7 games even with good health.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With our current state of affairs in Cowboy land, I can't see us winning more than 6 or 7 games even with good health.

That's always a possibility, but I would argue we've been winning 8 games a year without good health. With good health the last couple of years, I think we win at least 10. It will be really interesting to see how the extra $7-8 million raise in the salary cap affects Jerry's plans for next year. I think he was leaning towards a rebuild, but the boost in the cap this year, and the rumor of another similar bump next year may change his thinking. I think the most important thing this team needs is 2-3 starters and a couple of solid backups from this years draft class

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always a possibility, but I would argue we've been winning 8 games a year without good health. With good health the last couple of years, I think we win at least 10. It will be really interesting to see how the extra $7-8 million raise in the salary cap affects Jerry's plans for next year. I think he was leaning towards a rebuild, but the boost in the cap this year, and the rumor of another similar bump next year may change his thinking. I think the most important thing this team needs is 2-3 starters and a couple of solid backups from this years draft class

Want to make it 4 lobsters instead of 2? :laugh3:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually could go either way here but I tend to think I'd try to keep Ware.
I'd like to see him work with the team and take a modest pay cut with incentives for number of snaps played and sack total

He has made it pretty clear that he'll restructure his deal but he won't take any pay cuts.

I love the guy but he's been so injured the past two seasons and hasn't played well when supposedly healthy that I think you really have to let him go. It's just way too much money to hope he'll return to the player he was. This is the Cowboys we're talking about so there is a very real chance he'll sign with a NFL East team and lead their defense on the way to another Pro Bowl selection but I think it's a chance you have to take.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has made it pretty clear that he'll restructure his deal but he won't take any pay cuts.

I love the guy but he's been so injured the past two seasons and hasn't played well when supposedly healthy that I think you really have to let him go. It's just way too much money to hope he'll return to the player he was. This is the Cowboys we're talking about so there is a very real chance he'll sign with a NFL East team and lead their defense on the way to another Pro Bowl selection but I think it's a chance you have to take.

No argument here but as with so many other hot sports opinions being thrown all around this board on what Dallas SHOULD DO is like 20 guys in a room talking about who has the biggest.

THE POINT IS WHAT WILL JERRY DO....not what he should do. You know it, I know it and every football fan that follows pro football knows what Jerry will do. Jerry will spend every available dollar to make his football team better. Jerry will play for championships from here on out. Jerry has no time for any rebuilding process. Jerry was all in the moment he gave Romo his money.

Jerry could cut Ware but he gets more money for the cap if he restructures... or at the very least gets Ware to take a pay cut. Jerry knows the cap is going nothing but up the next few seasons and jerry will most certainly double down. From here on out it's all about jerry's legacy and he has no time for any rebuilding project

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, he kind of loses a little bit of bargaining power if he comes out and says "sure, I'll take a pay cut", doesn't he? I wouldn't be so sure he won't take a pay cut. The last thing I would probably do of hte options available is restructure with no pay cut. All that does is help us this year, but hurt us even more down the road when he will be even older. Which means of course, that is probably exactly what we will do...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He first statement was

"At the end of the day, I’m a team player," Ware said after getting four tackles and a fumble recover in the Cowboys'24-22 loss to the*Philadelphia Eagles*on Sunday. "I'll do what I need to do to help the team."*

He backed off the following day. More than likely his agent made him clarify his words. He may still be open to a restructured contract with a small pay cut. No one expects him to fix the cap problems single handed. If he doesn't help the cap this year without mortgaging the future 5 years down the road he will more than likely be cut. I think he's more than capable to being a very good DE when healthy but with his recent health issues we cannot afford to keep him with his current deal and we cannot push his contract out too many years. I think PDay right with a restructured incentive based deal.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players look at cash, not cap. Ware has a huge amount of money out there in base salary for this year and next year (don't even bother looking at 2016 onward he won't see it). Let's say he lowers it $4M each year, but we guarantee it for him. He stil gets $18M over 2 years and we save a chunk each year. Is he going to get a better deal on the open market? I don't know the answer and I don't know if that would be an acceptable deal to him or us, but that will be the thought process I see both sides going thru.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players look at cash, not cap. Ware has a huge amount of money out there in base salary for this year and next year (don't even bother looking at 2016 onward he won't see it). Let's say he lowers it $4M each year, but we guarantee it for him. He stil gets $18M over 2 years and we save a chunk each year. Is he going to get a better deal on the open market? I don't know the answer and I don't know if that would be an acceptable deal to him or us, but that will be the thought process I see both sides going thru.

It will come down to the gamble he and his agent think is best. He already has his bonus in hand. He can agree to a pay cut or get released and become a FA. I just hope Jerry says he will give him say 4M now or 2M if he is cut and resigned. Numbers can change but if he's cut the offer should be 1/2.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here but as with so many other hot sports opinions being thrown all around this board on what Dallas SHOULD DO is like 20 guys in a room talking about who has the biggest.

THE POINT IS WHAT WILL JERRY DO....not what he should do. You know it, I know it and every football fan that follows pro football knows what Jerry will do. Jerry will spend every available dollar to make his football team better. Jerry will play for championships from here on out. Jerry has no time for any rebuilding process. Jerry was all in the moment he gave Romo his money.

Jerry could cut Ware but he gets more money for the cap if he restructures... or at the very least gets Ware to take a pay cut. Jerry knows the cap is going nothing but up the next few seasons and jerry will most certainly double down. From here on out it's all about jerry's legacy and he has no time for any rebuilding project

:agree:

#Jerry SWINGS for the Fence :suds:

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, I couldn't have put it any better. totally agree. Jerry has been taking a lot of heat the past few years. Your right, he wants to leave some kind of legacy as Jimmy gets most if not all the credit for the 90's super bowl teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What most are missing is the fact that Ware is not a trade asset because his base pay is huge which is what teams would be paying him for. In 2014 it's 12.25MM in 2015 it's 13.75MM, why would any team pay him that right now? I believe he will take a pay cut in large part, because the best contract he would probably get at his age and last year's production would be 8-10MM a year realistic value. When I say realistic value, his contract might average 12MM a year, but only really be worth 8-10MM total for him. For instance lets say Ware gets a great deal at 5 years 55MM with 20MM guaranteed (to put in concept, Clay Matthews signed a 5yr/66MM deal with 20.5MM guaranteed last year at 26 years old). Ware's contract would probably look like this:

2014 3MM base 5MM bonus 8MM cap hit
2015 4MM base 5MM bonus 9MM cap hit
2016 5MM base 5MM bonus 10MM cap hit --- total paid out 27MM of 55MM average of 9MM a season
2017 10MM base 5MM bonus 15MM cap hit
2018 13MM base 0 bonus 13MM cap hit

You could cut Ware in 2017 and save 23MM of the 55MM contract, therefore only paying him a real contract of 3 years 32MM which is about 10.5MM a season for the three years he played there. Now to be honest, on the open market, Ware would not see a contract like that, it would probably be more like 5 years 40-45MM with about 15MM guaranteed. Why would Ware leave a tax free state, where his kids are at, to go to a state where he probably will have to pay tax, and learn a new community, team, and system. Only after all tax and what not is said and done to average 7MM a year more than likely? NOT going to happen. He will take the pay cut and probably stay on the team at a base of about 8MM a season his last two seasons. Saving the team 4.25MM this season, and 6.75MM next season.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What most are missing is the fact that Ware is not a trade asset because his base pay is huge which is what teams would be paying him for. In 2014 it's 12.25MM in 2015 it's 13.75MM, why would any team pay him that right now? I believe he will take a pay cut in large part, because the best contract he would probably get at his age and last year's production would be 8-10MM a year realistic value. When I say realistic value, his contract might average 12MM a year, but only really be worth 8-10MM total for him. For instance lets say Ware gets a great deal at 5 years 55MM with 20MM guaranteed (to put in concept, Clay Matthews signed a 5yr/66MM deal with 20.5MM guaranteed last year at 26 years old). Ware's contract would probably look like this:

2014 3MM base 5MM bonus 8MM cap hit
2015 4MM base 5MM bonus 9MM cap hit
2016 5MM base 5MM bonus 10MM cap hit --- total paid out 27MM of 55MM average of 9MM a season
2017 10MM base 5MM bonus 15MM cap hit
2018 13MM base 0 bonus 13MM cap hit

You could cut Ware in 2017 and save 23MM of the 55MM contract, therefore only paying him a real contract of 3 years 32MM which is about 10.5MM a season for the three years he played there. Now to be honest, on the open market, Ware would not see a contract like that, it would probably be more like 5 years 40-45MM with about 15MM guaranteed. Why would Ware leave a tax free state, where his kids are at, to go to a state where he probably will have to pay tax, and learn a new community, team, and system. Only after all tax and what not is said and done to average 7MM a year more than likely? NOT going to happen. He will take the pay cut and probably stay on the team at a base of about 8MM a season his last two seasons. Saving the team 4.25MM this season, and 6.75MM next season.

It's very possible I missed it, but has anyone suggested we trade Ware? All I've seen is renegotiate or release.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very possible I missed it, but has anyone suggested we trade Ware? All I've seen is renegotiate or release.

They mentioned it earlier in the post, but like I said won't happen. Clay Matthews is making 12MM a year as young as he is, no one will pay Ware 13MM a year after his last two years of being hurt and numbers decline.

Look at Suggs new deal, 5 years 28.5MM with 11MM guaranteed. Do you think anyone pays Ware 40MM over 5 years on the open market after Suggs basically just set Ware's value with his new deal? I doubt it. You pay youth not age. Suggs realized that, Ware soon will also.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@NetsGotBanned21, I would have minor disagreements concerning the structure and numbers in a re-worked deal for Ware but all your main points are correct.