• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you agree with your teams chosen best 4 that would be on your team's Mount Rushmore

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smash your head in a car door until you like it.
Wow...someone needs a hug...

e81a3719e4b56fd6a4c14cee3048629f.jpg

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubby Brister
Tim Worley
Limas Sweed
Huey Richardson

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I don't think there was a team in the league that thought that way when lined up to kick it to him.

I get the argument, but I think Hester transcends, "just a return man', or "special teams".

When you are the best of all-time, at any position, you deserve mention.

I realized it may be an unpopular opinion, that's why I mentioned that I was "switching it up" in my OP, but Hester was a game-changer like no other before or since.

I respect this argument from a HOF perspective. However, to suggest he was more important to teams than Payton, Singletary, Butkus, Sayers, Urlacher, Ditka, Hampton, Dent, George, Luckman, etc. That's really reaching. At the end of the day - he scored only 19 TD's for us as a returner and set us up with good field position much of the time. Even if that's a shit ton for a kick returner over the majority of a career. There's players who score more than that in a single season. There's also players who handle the ball more than he did for us in the return game over a single season. Like a Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, etc.

It just doesn't measure up to what those full-time offense or defensive HOF players did, though. Generally speaking, the game was totally out of Hester's hands and his impact only came on a fraction of plays from any given game. Could he change the game with one play? Sure, but every other candidate could and did so more often than Hester did. For every big run back Hester had. Butkus took the ball away, Hampton strip sacked the QB, etc.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect this argument from a HOF perspective. However, to suggest he was more important to teams than Payton, Singletary, Butkus, Sayers, Urlacher, Ditka, Hampton, Dent, George, Luckman, etc. That's really reaching. At the end of the day - he scored only 19 TD's for us as a returner and set us up with good field position much of the time. Even if that's a shit ton for a kick returner over the majority of a career. There's players who score more than that in a single season. There's also players who handle the ball more than he did for us in the return game over a single season. Like a Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, etc.

It just doesn't measure up to what those full-time offense or defensive HOF players did, though. Generally speaking, the game was totally out of Hester's hands and his impact only came on a fraction of plays from any given game. Could he change the game with one play? Sure, but every other candidate could and did so more often than Hester did. For every big run back Hester had. Butkus took the ball away, Hampton strip sacked the QB, etc.
FixedPlaintiveChamois-size_restricted.gif

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was the point I tried to make. Thanks @richig07 for wording it better than me.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His rookie season, he should've been an MVP candidate.

In his first 13 weeks of pro football, he had 6 return TDs. He had a punt return in his debut game, He had a 108 yd missed FG return that isn't counted in his stats. He had a game-winner against AZ, two kickoff returns in one game against St. Louis, and one that was called back on a phantom illegal block, against Seattle in the playoffs. And of course, housed the opening KO of the Superbowl.

Then followed it up the next year by breaking his own record.

Bears then were forced to make him into a wide receiver to justify the salary his play commanded. It killed his return game.

Look, as I said, I realize it was an out-of-the-box submission, but just factored in the fact, that he's the best ever at his position, even if that is on Special Teams.

The laughs keep coming.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, first off, I have Payton, Sayers and Butkus already, so I didn't choose Hester over them. Secondly, I stated from jump street, that I was gonna mix it up a little. Obviously, I did.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams are immediately dismissed, and I fully get that, but when you have a guy that is the best at his position of ALL-TIME. 100 plus years, and he's the best, it warrants discussion, and as silly as special teams may seem, it's even sillier to just scoff at it, like it's absurd.

Even if not Hester, it still wouldn't be Singletary.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams are immediately dismissed, and I fully get that, but when you have a guy that is the best at his position of ALL-TIME. 100 plus years, and he's the best, it warrants discussion, and as silly as special teams may seem, it's even sillier to just scoff at it, like it's absurd.

Even if not Hester, it still wouldn't be Singletary.

You’re praising Hester and all it takes to take him completely out of the game is for the least athletic player on the field to kick it away from him. It’s hilarious.

Hester was a great returner. That’s it.

Your comment that they had to switch him to WR to justify paying him is proof that his value as a returner is not as high as you think it is. If it was, they would have left him there.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re praising Hester and all it takes to take him completely out of the game is for the least athletic player on the field to kick it away from him. It’s hilarious.

Hester was a great returner. That’s it.

Your comment that they had to switch him to WR to justify paying him is proof that his value as a returner is not as high as you think it is. If it was, they would have left him there.

I'm not stupid. I realize a player that may touch the ball only 3-5 times a game is not as valuable as a fucking QB. There is only so much money to go around. But you don't need to be a mathematician to appreciate a special player. The fact that he did what he did WITH THOSE LIMITED TOUCHES is what makes it so incredible.

He transcended the value of the position. They gave a up a starting WR spot to a guy that had never really played the position. That's how much the VALUED him as a returner. He broke the matrix of position value.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd fill that 4th spot with some old-timer like Luckman or Nagurski, but who the fuck cares about guys that played when they danced the fucking Charleston to celebrate a victory?