• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we tank first or trade for better pieces?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the vast majority agree that this roster needs an overhaul. The only major decision is which way to go. A lot of the disagreements have come over our draft pick this year, and really the only way to keep it would be to tank. On the flip side we do have a lot of a trade-able assets to acquire some real talent in return.

The Celtics blew up their roster and traded for both Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. This made them instant contenders. OKC sucked for years and were able to use those draft picks to acquire talents like Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka. The Spurs tanked one year and were able to get the prized pick of Duncan and set their franchise up for a decade + of success. It's shown that both routes can be just as successful, depending on who you can get in return. Which way do you see the Warriors management moving? Tank and rebuild or trade everyone for a major overhaul?

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo for Curry.

Curry is damaged goods, love the kid but do we want another Greg Oden type of situation on our hands?

Would prefer to get rid of Monta but hey at least he is somewhat sturdy healthwise.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the vast majority agree that this roster needs an overhaul. The only major decision is which way to go. A lot of the disagreements have come over our draft pick this year, and really the only way to keep it would be to tank. On the flip side we do have a lot of a trade-able assets to acquire some real talent in return.

The Celtics blew up their roster and traded for both Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. This made them instant contenders. OKC sucked for years and were able to use those draft picks to acquire talents like Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka. The Spurs tanked one year and were able to get the prized pick of Duncan and set their franchise up for a decade + of success. It's shown that both routes can be just as successful, depending on who you can get in return. Which way do you see the Warriors management moving? Tank and rebuild or trade everyone for a major overhaul?

I think 'tank' is the wrong word choice but the right idea. The Warriors should trade their better players for expiring contracts and draft picks on the condition that the team that takes the better players also takes the team's more onerous contracts.

Want Curry? Gotta take _avi_ Lee. Throw in Rush/Wright if we have to.
Want Monta? He comes with Andris Biedrins. Throw in Udoh if we have to.

In both cases, the Warriors pick up a first round pick in the deal and a contract of shorter length than what Beans and Lee have.

Rebuild the team via the draft and smart free agent acquisitions.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 'tank' is the wrong word choice but the right idea. The Warriors should trade their better players for expiring contracts and draft picks on the condition that the team that takes the better players also takes the team's more onerous contracts.

Want Curry? Gotta take _avi_ Lee. Throw in Rush/Wright if we have to.
Want Monta? He comes with Andris Biedrins. Throw in Udoh if we have to.

In both cases, the Warriors pick up a first round pick in the deal and a contract of shorter length than what Beans and Lee have.

Rebuild the team via the draft and smart free agent acquisitions.

Somebody Rep this for me. Thank you in advance.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody Rep this for me. Thank you in advance.

Damn. I tried. Another excellent post from Cam.

Let's just hope the team doesn't close out the year with no moves. Whichever way the organization chooses to go, I just hope they give us something to talk about on here (and maybe a bit of hope as well).

Too much to ask? :yield:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. I tried. Another excellent post from Cam.

Let's just hope the team doesn't close out the year with no moves. Whichever way the organization chooses to go, I just hope they give us something to talk about on here (and maybe a bit of hope as well).

Too much to ask? :yield:

I'm not a fan of the "make a move to make a move" theory. And I'm pretty sure the W's FO isn't either. They'll make a move if they feel they can get better players in here, but they won't just move Monta to move him. FWIW, I've been reading that the Magic want Monta at the behest of Howard. Obviously, they'll need to involve another team or two as they have nobody beside Howard the W's would want. Rumor is the Nets and Lopez. Depending on the other factors (getting rid of Avi/Beans contract, draft picks, etc.) there might be a move to be made. I've played around on the trade machine, and I can't make a three team deal work that makes sense.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not a fan of the "make a move to make a move" theory. And I'm pretty sure the W's FO isn't either. They'll make a move if they feel they can get better players in here, but they won't just move Monta to move him. FWIW, I've been reading that the Magic want Monta at the behest of Howard. Obviously, they'll need to involve another team or two as they have nobody beside Howard the W's would want. Rumor is the Nets and Lopez. Depending on the other factors (getting rid of Avi/Beans contract, draft picks, etc.) there might be a move to be made. I've played around on the trade machine, and I can't make a three team deal work that makes sense.

The problem with the "rumor" about the Nets and Lopez is that those rumors assume the Magic will trade Howard to the Nets (his preferred destination) in the 3-way trade. That makes about as much sense as trading Monta and other pieces for Howard directly - which is to say none at all.

Orlando's biggest problem is that it wants to keep Howard. To keep him, Magic GM Otis Smith must acquire better players that Howard believes can help lead the team to an NBA title. Smith has absolutely no assets that will help him acquire even a fringe player to play with Howard, let alone a star.

Golden State views Monta Ellis as a lot more than a fringe player and to trade him, the Warriors would have to receive a player of equal or greater scoring power. Orlando does not have a player other than Dwight Howard who meets that criteria.

What is inevitably going to happen is the Magic will lose Howard. The only two teams interested in acquiring him right now that have the pieces to make the Magic think about the deal are Golden State and the Lakers. Golden State would rent Howard, which means Curry is not part of the package. The Lakers could offer Bynum and another player plus draft picks or Gasol plus draft picks. I think the Lakers will get their man.

If LA and Orlando cannot come to a deal, I would bet that Howard ends up in either LA in the off season or he ends up in Dallas. To end up in New Jersey, the Nets are going to have to trade away a few of their complementary players (I think Anthony Morrowand Johan Petro would be enough) to teams that have cap space to absorb the player's entire contract. That will get the Nets far enough under the cap to be able to give the Magic a trade exception for Howard (like the Cavs and the Raptors did for LeBron and Bosh, respectively when they signed with the Heat) in a sign-and-trade.

No matter what happens, Smith and the Magic are in serious trouble because once Howard is gone, the rest of that roster is a huge mess.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, the only thing worse than no moves is a stupid move.

It's so damn hard to make a trade in the NBA...which means the Warriors will likely stand pat and finish the season with the 9th-10th worst record.

On an unrelated note...you ever seen the movie Groundhog Day?

imager.php

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see a lot of potential suitors for what we're looking for. If we want to get younger, clear cap space and acquire picks, the most obvious pairing would be with NOH. They have Kaman's expiring and some picks to offer. They wanted Curry, but I doubt we'd be able to pawn off Biedrins and get a pick in return. If we did that, we'd likely have to settle with cap space.

Cleveland has Jamison's expiring and likely a high pick, but I'd imagine they'd want to keep that pick to pair a young talent with Irving. Lee would be the only one I'd imagine they'd have any interest in, and I'd think at most we could get is cap relief.

Any team that would offer picks would likely be in the mid or high tier, which doesn't necessarily offer us much of value. Even in this deep draft, it's hard to hit those home runs time and time again.

At this point, I think it's a very outside shot anything gets done, and even less of a chance of us getting a high/mid pick. Cap space really looks to be our best option, having to acquire that by trading most of our talent. Even with cap space, how do we draw any noteworthy FA, absent of any real talent or potential? We'll likely have to way overpay and end up with more bad contracts. What a vicious cycle.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see a lot of potential suitors for what we're looking for. If we want to get younger, clear cap space and acquire picks, the most obvious pairing would be with NOH. They have Kaman's expiring and some picks to offer. They wanted Curry, but I doubt we'd be able to pawn off Biedrins and get a pick in return. If we did that, we'd likely have to settle with cap space.

Cleveland has Jamison's expiring and likely a high pick, but I'd imagine they'd want to keep that pick to pair a young talent with Irving. Lee would be the only one I'd imagine they'd have any interest in, and I'd think at most we could get is cap relief.

Any team that would offer picks would likely be in the mid or high tier, which doesn't necessarily offer us much of value. Even in this deep draft, it's hard to hit those home runs time and time again.

At this point, I think it's a very outside shot anything gets done, and even less of a chance of us getting a high/mid pick. Cap space really looks to be our best option, having to acquire that by trading most of our talent. Even with cap space, how do we draw any noteworthy FA, absent of any real talent or potential? We'll likely have to way overpay and end up with more bad contracts. What a vicious cycle.

See not-so-unrelated Groundhog Day reference above. Sigh.