• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dipoto Gets Extension

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh 100% agreed!

Which I see happening this time next year. I think Scotty boy miss manage of pitchers will be seen by ownership with the young guns they'll have up next year and Jerry's hand is forced to show him the door.

Good example of Servais's incompetence with pitching staff/decisions: Opener gives up 3 runs, has runners on 1st and 3rd with zero outs before he finally decides to pull him. Wade comes in as the starter in a high anxiety situation. Now why did Servais wait to pull his opener when any damn fool could see his starter didn't have anything going for him? Doesn't Dipoto see this happening? 4 years in and Servais still messes up pitching decisions. Can't be good for the team morale. :L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with @seattlefan75 this thing is going to need time.
I still feel it sucks they started this rebuild this year when they could've started two years ago and we could be a little closer to seeing good baseball again...

Problem is that there is no such thing as a rebuild or retool or reimagine. It is all a game played by cheap owners and desperate GM's to buy 3 to 4 years of fans loyalty. Everything we did should have been done all along. It isn't rebuilding it is pulling ones head out of their asses and running a team like it should be but even with all the moves what happens when/if we get close to contending? They have never, and I mean never, gone out and paid for the extra players needed to win. Never. Not in 1995. Not in 1998. Not in 2001. It is nice to see they are focusing on young talent, but there isn't any player that is going to make us a contender. It will take a 40 man roster of players to compete and that costs money, takes great development and drafting, and it takes foresight to have them all ready within the same season. If this happens for ownership, it will be the first time in Seattle it has happened and I for one trust new ownership as much as I trusted own ownership.

This was not an attack on you mcnabb in any way, but just me venting at ownership/management using this ruse to buy more of us suckers time and money.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that there is no such thing as a rebuild or retool or reimagine. It is all a game played by cheap owners and desperate GM's to buy 3 to 4 years of fans loyalty. Everything we did should have been done all along. It isn't rebuilding it is pulling ones head out of their asses and running a team like it should be but even with all the moves what happens when/if we get close to contending? They have never, and I mean never, gone out and paid for the extra players needed to win. Never. Not in 1995. Not in 1998. Not in 2001. It is nice to see they are focusing on young talent, but there isn't any player that is going to make us a contender. It will take a 40 man roster of players to compete and that costs money, takes great development and drafting, and it takes foresight to have them all ready within the same season. If this happens for ownership, it will be the first time in Seattle it has happened and I for one trust new ownership as much as I trusted own ownership.

This was not an attack on you mcnabb in any way, but just me venting at ownership/management using this ruse to buy more of us suckers time and money.

Oh I’m butthurt! My snowflake ass can’t handle your vent

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay went to the game today and I was ready to run on the field and beat the shit out of Scotty Boy:

Dee ropes a triple Smith comes to the plate one out why was Smith not bunting down 1st base line where the first baseman was playing back?

Then the foul for a homer why in the hell did Scotty not come out of that dug out and light that whole umpiring crew up? I mean show some gawd damn balls that you believe in your kids get them fired up by watching you getting tossed for fighting for them!

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay went to the game today and I was ready to run on the field and beat the shit out of Scotty Boy:

Dee ropes a triple Smith comes to the plate one out why was Smith not bunting down 1st base line where the first baseman was playing back?

Then the foul for a homer why in the hell did Scotty not come out of that dug out and light that whole umpiring crew up? I mean show some gawd damn balls that you believe in your kids get them fired up by watching you getting tossed for fighting for them!

That's so funny that you mentioned Scotty and that foul ball. He did challenge the umps call but when the answer came back that it was an HR, the camera zoomed in on him, I just shook my head and I said to my son "he looks like a sad little kid pouting cuz he didn't get his own way. BTW what was the deal with the guy who ran onto the field and delayed the game? Was he running around being chased or what? They don't show that stuff on the TV coverage but it must have been a funny situation I was guessing.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what you just gave credit for is the job of the farm director not the general manager of a MLB franchise. The GM’s foremost job is to win at the big league level. 4 years into a contract and all he has to show for it is an epic collapse and a good AA team? Had he done a complete tear down when he first got hired sure when Felix, Seager and Cruz has value but doing it now all but gives him a legitimate excuse for 1 more extension to see this through.

If you put all the blame on him when the team is losing you have to give him just as much credit when the team had a winning record. 2 of the 4 years he was in charge as GM that is no different then saying if the mariners won the AL west in that it was our manager that actually won the games not the GM. Besides the first two rounds of the MLB draft along with the trades done was more than likely talked about in a group but it is ultimately the GM who makes the call and makes the decision.

From 2004-2015 we have had 3 seasons with a winning record since 2016 to Present we have had 2 seasons with a winning record the last 4 years Jerry is easily the best GM we have had in over 10 years

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone that is saying the rebuild should have happened years ago you mean to tell me that if he would have started his first 3 years as GM coming in last place in the division fans would have been ok with ownership giving him a new contract? heck no the man built a team that almost won 90 games last year and today you guys preach that he has no idea what he is doing and should be fired

Ownership is ownership Jerry has no control on what they want to do as far as spending money but I remember we went all out in paying for adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson and Robinson Cano and look what all that payroll got us....Nothing

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's so funny that you mentioned Scotty and that foul ball. He did challenge the umps call but when the answer came back that it was an HR, the camera zoomed in on him, I just shook my head and I said to my son "he looks like a sad little kid pouting cuz he didn't get his own way. BTW what was the deal with the guy who ran onto the field and delayed the game? Was he running around being chased or what? They don't show that stuff on the TV coverage but it must have been a funny situation I was guessing.

Yeah it was a guy that came over the short wall on the first base side, he dodge them pretty good

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put all the blame on him when the team is losing you have to give him just as much credit when the team had a winning record. 2 of the 4 years he was in charge as GM that is no different then saying if the mariners won the AL west in that it was our manager that actually won the games not the GM. Besides the first two rounds of the MLB draft along with the trades done was more than likely talked about in a group but it is ultimately the GM who makes the call and makes the decision.

From 2004-2015 we have had 3 seasons with a winning record since 2016 to Present we have had 2 seasons with a winning record the last 4 years Jerry is easily the best GM we have had in over 10 years

I’m not putting anything at the feet of Jerry besides the one job his is tasked with and that is winning. He makes the call, but has failed at making that call as it is his 4th year as thrive Mariners GM. Now in his 4th year they are in his contractual deal 7 years away from the postseason. Just because the Mariners have had crappy GM’s doesn’t change the fact Jerry has done a terrible job as GM. I’m not projected all of the Mariners history on him, he is just a dude who wants to piss on you but tells you it’s raining.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not putting anything at the feet of Jerry besides the one job his is tasked with and that is winning. He makes the call, but has failed at making that call as it is his 4th year as thrive Mariners GM. Now in his 4th year they are in his contractual deal 7 years away from the postseason. Just because the Mariners have had crappy GM’s doesn’t change the fact Jerry has done a terrible job as GM. I’m not projected all of the Mariners history on him, he is just a dude who wants to piss on you but tells you it’s raining.

So if you are the owner and its 2016 what are your expectations for him as your GM and the time frame you would give him to be the best team in the American league West against a loaded Astros team?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible we could've made the post-season with a better manager, but I don't think it would've meant much because the team vastly outperformed their talent level.

With Diaz sporting a 5.50 ERA with the Mets (that's not a typo), Robinson Cano hitting .239/.287/.361 (yes that's AVG/OBP/SLG) along with Kelenic and Dunn tearing it up at the minors, this could go down as one of the better trades in Mariners history.

Would be nice to see M's prospects turn that into success at the MLB level for once.

Good example of Servais's incompetence with pitching staff/decisions: Opener gives up 3 runs, has runners on 1st and 3rd with zero outs before he finally decides to pull him. Wade comes in as the starter in a high anxiety situation. Now why did Servais wait to pull his opener when any damn fool could see his starter didn't have anything going for him? Doesn't Dipoto see this happening? 4 years in and Servais still messes up pitching decisions. Can't be good for the team morale. :L

You really could have stopped at opener. Why is that a thing? Servais is so in over his head it's laughable. Gotta have a crappy reliever pitch the first inning of almost every game. That is going so well.

It will be a day to celebrate when Servais and Dipoto are both gone. Another set of incompetent M's leadership that continues to plow the ship farther into the ice shelf. Of course that being said, I have zero faith that Stanton's next hire would fare any better. The first few years of the Mariners under Stanton's regime has been exactly the same as when Yamauchi owned the team. Literally zero difference.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you are the owner and its 2016 what are your expectations for him as your GM and the time frame you would give him to be the best team in the American league West against a loaded Astros team?

My expectations would be that of any boss. You interview the person and ask what their vision is. So either his first vision didn’t work so he tried his second or he just flat out lied. There is zero possible way a GM with literally no collateral as a front office employee should have the equity to fail “going for it” then get to try to rebuild. Epstein did, but tore it down to the studs for the Cubs, Dipoto left the Angels farm system right above and major league team barely below the Mariners. It’s a contradiction but he deserved the extension for the first half of last year but doesn’t deserve the job for the other 3 years of service.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectations would be that of any boss. You interview the person and ask what their vision is. So either his first vision didn’t work so he tried his second or he just flat out lied. There is zero possible way a GM with literally no collateral as a front office employee should have the equity to fail “going for it” then get to try to rebuild. Epstein did, but tore it down to the studs for the Cubs, Dipoto left the Angels farm system right above and major league team barely below the Mariners. It’s a contradiction but he deserved the extension for the first half of last year but doesn’t deserve the job for the other 3 years of service.

I'm sure he had a vision but there is an expectation that you have as a owner so you would fire him if the mariners caught lightning in a bottle and instead of throwing away a possible playoff spot you would rather he trade everyone away and force them to tank? I don't see anything wrong if I'm the owner and my GM says hey look we were supposed to tank but here we are in the race for the wild card let's see if we can make the playoffs and keep guys like nelson cruz. But it didn't workout so let's continue with development I would have 0 problems giving him a pass for those seasons we were competitive and won games

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he had a vision but there is an expectation that you have as a owner so you would fire him if the mariners caught lightning in a bottle and instead of throwing away a possible playoff spot you would rather he trade everyone away and force them to tank? I don't see anything wrong if I'm the owner and my GM says hey look we were supposed to tank but here we are in the race for the wild card let's see if we can make the playoffs and keep guys like nelson cruz. But it didn't workout so let's continue with development I would have 0 problems giving him a pass for those seasons we were competitive and won games

We can agree to disagree I guess on his performance. But in your scenario, had a GM said we caught lightening in a bottle and he didn’t do anything to go for, he would’ve been gone too. If I were Stanton and Co. I’m not sure what I would be more pissed off about, that Jerry did nothing to make them better last year to hold off the A’s and Rays or that he didn’t sell last year to where the Mariners would have a top 5 farm system this year. I just completely disagree with giving any props to a GM who has failed 6 years at his job but is getting an extra 3 at minimum to see if it works. It is just my opinion of I’ll never trust him with being in charge of a rebuild when he dealt his number 1 prospect in O’Neill for Marco when he should’ve been able to get Marco for a bag of balls in terms of prospects.

I completely agree he deserved the extension last year but he pissed it away by not doing anything to make them better and get them to his number 1 objective which is winning.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to see M's prospects turn that into success at the MLB level for once.

For what it's worth I'm not sure there has been a prospect I've been as excited about as Kelenic in a really long time. I would go as far as to argue there hasn't been a more exciting Mariners prospect than Kelenic since Felix. Baseball Prospectus updated their top 50 prospects and they have Kelenic at 13.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could be naive/overly optimistic but I think the issue is more about competence than a willing to spend. They went into this year with a $170m payroll I believe and they have shown a willingness by signing Felix Hernandez, Jean Segura, Kyle Seager to large extensions. They agreed to pay Robinson Cano $240m and gave Nelson Cruz a large contract that back then was questionable due to his age - luckily that worked out although it didn't produce a playoff appearance. I also believe they were close to signing Prince Fielder although that wouldn't have worked out well.

If the ownership was really just committed to just saving money I don't believe they would've sent $20m to the Mets along with Cano or ate so much of Edwin Encarnacion and Jay Bruce's contracts.

I believe the situation we're in is a result of a cascade of bad decisions by GMs going back to Bill Bavasi. A complete rebuild should've happened way earlier, but obviously it didn't.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah also the beatings they have taken from the Astros the last couple of seasons maybe Dipoto sold them on tearing it down and starting over,

I’m not saying Dipoto is the right guy to redo this whole project, I’m just saying maybe he convinced ownership it’s time

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe however Scotty Boy should be shown the damn door! I just don’t think he has it in him to teach younger players how to push themselves at this level.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be naive/overly optimistic but I think the issue is more about competence than a willing to spend. They went into this year with a $170m payroll I believe and they have shown a willingness by signing Felix Hernandez, Jean Segura, Kyle Seager to large extensions. They agreed to pay Robinson Cano $240m and gave Nelson Cruz a large contract that back then was questionable due to his age - luckily that worked out although it didn't produce a playoff appearance. I also believe they were close to signing Prince Fielder although that wouldn't have worked out well.

If the ownership was really just committed to just saving money I don't believe they would've sent $20m to the Mets along with Cano or ate so much of Edwin Encarnacion and Jay Bruce's contracts.

I believe the situation we're in is a result of a cascade of bad decisions by GMs going back to Bill Bavasi. A complete rebuild should've happened way earlier, but obviously it didn't.

That is not the spending I am talking about. Teams spend based on revenue. They get to a place where they are happy with what they have at the price they want. Fine. But when things are going better the expected, the real owners spend on a player or two extra to tip the scales their way. Mariners have never done that not even in those playoff years. In 1995 we got Andy bones because they didn't want to spend any more. Lou quit because they wouldn't spend extra to tip the scales. Same in 1997, 1998, 2001. Even in non-playoff years when we were still hanging around they didn't open up the wallets. People say they spent $240M on Cano so that shows they are willing to spend. No, that shows they were still outside the top 5, and probably top 10, in spending and bought a draw to keep them relevant. Remember when we got Cano the next obvious question was who do we pair with him to make us legit? The answer was nobody.

It has been and always will be the willingness to spend. And the whole Felix thing was marketing and not a signing to win. After you have your young ace tied up, don't you surround him with value? We ended the payroll run right then and there. All teams spend some, but the great ones spend extra when the time is right.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you guys are giving Dipoto to much heat and I really do not know what you guys expect. Since 2010 we have had 1 winning season in 6 seasons before Jerry took over. When Jerry took over the last 4 years 2 of those seasons we have had winning seasons.
The bottom line is he was hired to make the current situation a playoff team. He wasn't hired to do a complete rebuild or else they would have gone with someone else. He had 3 years to make the playoffs and failed so yes he failed at his job. That's a fact.

Now to save themselves from admitting to another failed GM they are letting him rebuild even though he has never really shown he can do that. Because of that we have to give him a pass for at least another two years. I dont think Servais should get that same pass but I fear thats what will happen