• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dipoto Gets Extension

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea or nay?

If they continue in their current direction, I say yea.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I asssumed it would happen at some point. Even if they were playing poorly I figured he would get a couple more years. I assume a Servais announcement isn’t far behind

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has got the mariners this far ..so ...im on board .....loose the bow lines..loose the aft lines..hit the starboard bow Thrusters..time to make ...Way

whoo whoo whoo.......you forgot to secure that GangWay.......lolha lol.... belay the last.

well it .....is.... the safest place..to be on board,.. at the dock......lololololol

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured JD wouldn't be going anywhere. I'm neutral about it right now. I guess we're stuck with Servais also then. Sure wish he'd learn how/when and who to use in the pen and not let "some" of the players run over him and get a set of nuts to make those tough decisions.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they aren't as bad as they've been for the last 16 years which is a sad measurement to have to use, but that's the reality.

The farm system is still in shambles, they have an aging bloated payroll, and until they get to that one game playoff this year they still haven't reached one since my youngest was born and she just got her drivers license.

I guess right now you pay the least shitty GM the team has had over that span and hope it translates into solid team with a healthy farm system sooner or later.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on record as saying I despise extending him and the press conference made me hate it even more.

That said, Jerry deserves it for the job he has done with assembling the big club. He has assembled the 4th best team in the entire majors. Besides Felix, Cano, Cruz, Paxton, Zunino, Diaz and Seager, I think most the team is from him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he was on a 3 year deal and with the way things have started I think you had to do this. However we all know managers and GMs are year to year if necessary anyway.
Remember in 2014 when it was a decent but not great year, Jack Z got an extension and then was whacked 12 months later when things went south.

I was pretty hard on Dipoto in the offseason because we hadn't seen his moves fully payoff. However trades for Haniger/Segura, Marco and Leake have really helped build the team. Although I think Dee has for the most part been a liability at the plate, it seems like he provides an X-factor and fun attitude to the team that may be invaluable.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was expected, they’ve done better under him as a GM... Servais is about to get an extension as well... For whatever reason Diopto just loves Servais ....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't this happen with Jack Z? They were doing great, he got his extension then they went on a slide?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was expected, they’ve done better under him as a GM... Servais is about to get an extension as well... For whatever reason Diopto just loves Servais ....

He gets the extension cause how long has it been since the M's were this far above .500. In order for Servais to succeed, JD has to had to this roster now and in the off season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets the extension cause how long has it been since the M's were this far above .500. In order for Servais to succeed, JD has to had to this roster now and in the off season.
In order for this team to become a legit post season threat, they need to build a lethal farm system and bring up some of their own star players. They can't keep relying on selling out whatever few gems they might have for more bloated payroll rent a players for short term gain.

They might make the playoffs with their current lineup/philosophy, but there's pretty much no chance they win a pennant without building that farm system up.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for this team to become a legit post season threat, they need to build a lethal farm system and bring up some of their own star players. They can't keep relying on selling out whatever few gems they might have for more bloated payroll rent a players for short term gain.

They might make the playoffs with their current lineup/philosophy, but there's pretty much no chance they win a pennant without building that farm system up.

The problem is our farm system is ranked near the bottom so I really don't know how good these players can be. You can inflate the payroll for a couple of years to rebuild the farm while competing for post season play.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is our farm system is ranked near the bottom so I really don't know how good these players can be. You can inflate the payroll for a couple of years to rebuild the farm while competing for post season play.

Problem with that philosophy is that has been the Mariners model since Bavasi. When you have injuries and don't have anyone available to call up you have to made trades to fill out your big league roster. Then they have used up all of their budget so can't get a guy like Verlander during the August deadline like they should have last year.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with that philosophy is that has been the Mariners model since Bavasi. When you have injuries and don't have anyone available to call up you have to made trades to fill out your big league roster. Then they have used up all of their budget so can't get a guy like Verlander during the August deadline like they should have last year.

I know, it's brutal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which still begs the question; Why does DIP refuse to sign players but loves to trade what little assets he has? We all know the answer. but it makes no baseball sense for a team with no system left...broken record I know.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which still begs the question; Why does DIP refuse to sign players but loves to trade what little assets he has? We all know the answer. but it makes no baseball sense for a team with no system left...broken record I know.

Then he needs to have a heart to heart with the owners and tell them they need to open the check book to preserve the farm so these guys can develop.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he needs to have a heart to heart with the owners and tell them they need to open the check book to preserve the farm so these guys can develop.

And the thing is that the top teams sign free agents not only to save from trading youth but free agents can 1) Make a veteran with trade value available to fill needed spots 2) Free agents can be traded at some point for value as well.

I truly don't understand their philosophy other than squeak, squeak.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No idea dude, I guess trades gives him his fix as they take 2 seconds to put together but signing a free agent takes time?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea dude, I guess trades gives him his fix as they take 2 seconds to put together but signing a free agent takes time?

:noidea: