• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did LSU punch their playoff ticket today?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. They shouldn’t show much against Bama and prepare for the rematch in the CFP.
The concept of Conference Titles should be straight up abandoned, or have significantly more added weight. Too many teams have sat at home on Championship Saturday and gotten into the playoffs for my liking.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, LSU hasn't beaten a ranked team yet, nobody has. The rankings haven't came out yet.
If we are putting more added weight on the committee’s ‘top 25’ I purpose we have every team in the NCAA laid out and have chickens shit on them. Whichever order the shit hits each team will be the top 25. Until the final rankings that is.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't play in the regular season. USC is leading the South.
Well I blame ESPB for that, they said on air when comparing 1 loss teams they still had a game to play against each other.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are putting more added weight on the committee’s ‘top 25’ I purpose we have every team in the NCAA laid out and have chickens shit on them. Whichever order the shit hits each team will be the top 25. Until the final rankings that is.
Would mean as much as the current rankings that get touted til the real one comes out. Works for me.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I blame ESPB for that, they said on air when comparing 1 loss teams they still had a game to play against each other.
You relied on ESPN to give you accurate info? Sucker.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now sitting with 3 top 10 wins, if they play Bama tough and somehow lose have they already done enough? Huge loss by Oklahoma as they’ve got major issues on defense and won’t have the resume to beat LSU. Nobody in the PAC but maybe Oregon if they win out? But Oregon lost to a common opponent LSU beat. Notre Dame is about to get their second loss. The B1G will get a 1 loss Ohio State team in if they win the CCG or if a 1 loss PSU team wins out. So that doesn’t leave anybody over LSU? Might be beneficial if LSU loses to Bama and get the extra time off.
Good point, Bama has only beaten one SEC team with a record over .500, so far this season.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU has 1 top10 win (Florida). Gameday rankings are irrelevant.
Wasn't Florida and Auburn in the top 10 when LSU beat them this season? How many top 10 wins does Bama have, so far this season?

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, gameday rankings are irrelevant.
Obviously. Gameday rankings are all that matter. Auburn didn’t play the same LSU defense that Texas played. Same is true for all other teams.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously. Gameday rankings are all that matter. Auburn didn’t play the same LSU defense that Texas played. Same is true for all other teams.
I will chime in and have a completely different opinion. I don’t think the Gameday or non-Gameday rankings are a black and white issue. I think some weight should be given to Gameday ranking, but it isn’t the end all be all. Point and case, ESPN just had to give Bama a top 25 win so they had Texas A&M undeservingly ranked. So the argument can be made that the numbers can be skewed to make some teams look better and keep others from looking good just to continue a storyline the media wants.

The other side of it is this talk about the “real ratings” is stupid. The “real ratings” boils down to a bunch of old Athletic Directors playing popularity contest, making a list of the hottest chicks on campus based on whichever way the breeze is blowing that day. While teams have a different mindset etc at certain points of the season, if they end with a 3-8 record yet were ranked # 15 in the preseason how can you really tout a win against that team as a quality win?

If I am the number 1 team, I am negatively impacting the perception of my opponents and my own SOS each week. Say Wisconsin didn’t lose last week, well OSU would have exposed them in front of the Nation. Would that mean Wisconsin is all of a sudden not a top 10 team if they were undefeated? Or are they only not a top 10 team because a much better team made them look like crap?

Sorry if I am trying to use too much logic here, we all can’t be as intelligent as Danny ‘durr I’m smart your dumb’ Kanell. But it’s just my 2 cents. There is no perfect system or way of evaluating playing opponents. Have to use the data you have and exclude team/team matchups when evaluating a team’s ranking or SOS.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will chime in and have a completely different opinion. I don’t think the Gameday or non-Gameday rankings are a black and white issue. I think some weight should be given to Gameday ranking, but it isn’t the end all be all. Point and case, ESPN just had to give Bama a top 25 win so they had Texas A&M undeservingly ranked. So the argument can be made that the numbers can be skewed to make some teams look better and keep others from looking good just to continue a storyline the media wants.

The other side of it is this talk about the “real ratings” is stupid. The “real ratings” boils down to a bunch of old Athletic Directors playing popularity contest, making a list of the hottest chicks on campus based on whichever way the breeze is blowing that day. While teams have a different mindset etc at certain points of the season, if they end with a 3-8 record yet were ranked # 15 in the preseason how can you really tout a win against that team as a quality win?

If I am the number 1 team, I am negatively impacting the perception of my opponents and my own SOS each week. Say Wisconsin didn’t lose last week, well OSU would have exposed them in front of the Nation. Would that mean Wisconsin is all of a sudden not a top 10 team if they were undefeated? Or are they only not a top 10 team because a much better team made them look like crap?

Sorry if I am trying to use too much logic here, we all can’t be as intelligent as Danny ‘durr I’m smart your dumb’ Kanell. But it’s just my 2 cents. There is no perfect system or way of evaluating playing opponents. Have to use the data you have and exclude team/team matchups when evaluating a team’s ranking or SOS.

How in hell did ESPN have TAMU ranked? Now ESPN controls the AP and coaches?

You’re all over the place on this. TAMU and Texas both have 3 losses. TAMU’s losses are to Bama, CU, and Auburn. UT’s 3 losses include TCU. Neither has any great wins. So was Texas being “propped up by ESPN”?

You can use ranking at time of game as a data point and current ranking as another data point. You can use common sense to determine which has more value for a win or loss. But the whole “TAMU was ranked to help Bama” is a bunch of conspiracy bullshit. AP voters and coaches have no vested interest in nor loyalty to Bama, and anyone thinking or suggesting otherwise needs help.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. They shouldn’t show much against Bama and prepare for the rematch in the CFP.
No NO NO!! That would not be fair to Bama to beat LSU and then have to play them again. NOT FAIR AT ALL!!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I know the resume is not as strong, I’d include Penn State in this. They’ll have wins over likely 4 to 5 top 25 teams and their likely only loss would be @ Ohio State. If it’s a good, close game I could see them getting consideration like LSU.

But they’ll still likely need Oregon to lose and The B12 champ to have 2 loses.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean honestly, would Oregon get in over a LSU with a close loss to Bama? No probably not

At this point we're looking at

LSU/Bama winner
Clemson
Ohio State/Penn State winner
LSU/Bama loser

I can't imagine anyone else being involved