• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybin is a #4/platoon OF only if they sign Gordon, Cespedes, or someone similar.
Yeah.. He would have to really perform badly to have Collins/moya take the majority of ab from him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually fine with the tigers not spending big on an outfielder... If they can get Moya to have a decent season in AAA and have one of their mid tier pitching prospects have a decent year... they can easily make an in season trade for an affordable OFer. Outfield bats are one of the easiest positions to acquire in season in terms of bats... So if the Tigers go into the season as is... I am happy. Last year DD decided to make the Greene trade around this point.. and in doing that he not only traded away a pitcher that could have been useful last year in Ray.. but he traded away a very highly regarded SS prospect as well. If he would have waited... went into the season with Ray as the #5 starter... he would have been able to have more ammo at the deadline or even before to make an in season trade to fill holes that came from injury. Instead he shot his prospect wad in the winter meetings and had nothing to use to upgrade in season. Avila is valuing the farm system much more. I like that. Hopefully he can fix it to the point its not a laughing stock anymore. I am tired of seeing a legit MLB player come out every 5 years if we are lucky... with a non stop parade of guys that are backups or fringe MLB talent at best being the norm. Home grown talent makes you have a connection with the players more... If Castellanos breaks out this year... people are going to be much happier to have him around than a 30+ yr old 3rd base they pick up in a trade...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every farm system should be able to develop at the very least corner outfielders and bullpen arms... Every guy that has a decent bat but can't play defense at 2nd, SS, 3rd, or CF is going to a corner outfield position or 1st base... More than likely its the corner outfield. Every pitcher with nasty stuff that can't make it as a starter moves to the pen... There literally is no excuse not to have a few guys from in house that can't be league average in the corner outfield or bullpen.

Developing starting pitching is hard. SS's are hard. Corner Outfielders that can hit for league average and bullpen arms that can have a league average ERA are a dime a dozen.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually fine with the tigers not spending big on an outfielder... If they can get Moya to have a decent season in AAA and have one of their mid tier pitching prospects have a decent year... they can easily make an in season trade for an affordable OFer.

The prospect of having a couple of .250 hitters (Gose and Maybin) filling 2 of the 3 outfield spots doesn't thrill me, but I get that there is time to wait if Gordon and/or Cespedes is cost-prohibitive.

I think Maybin could end up being a huge pickup. He played extremely well last year and he is nearing his contract years... He is going to be motivated to keep it up. If the Tigers get an outfielder that hits .275+ with 15+Hr out of Ian Krol and Gabe Speier... Avila is the man.

I will spew a load if Maybin hits .275 with 15 HR. Only 30 extra-base hits in 505 AB last season, and the 10 HRs were the most in his career.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prospect of having a couple of .250 hitters (Gose and Maybin) filling 2 of the 3 outfield spots doesn't thrill me, but I get that there is time to wait if Gordon and/or Cespedes is cost-prohibitive.

I will spew a load if Maybin hits .275 with 15 HR. Only 30 extra-base hits in 505 AB last season, and the 10 HRs were the most in his career.
Yeah... 15 hr might be asking a bit much.. but when the guy has been healthy. he has hit... so hopefully the extra motivation of coming on a possible contract year (next year is a team option only) will get him to hit like he did the first half of last year in ATL. I am not expecting the world from Maybin.. but it really wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year... it tends to happen around 28 yrs old when free agency is around the corner.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not expecting the world from Maybin.. but it really wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year... it tends to happen around 28 yrs old when free agency is around the corner.

I do like Maybin's base-stealing potential. Seems to be a more instinctive base stealer than Gose, if not as fast. 116 career SB and only 30 CS for Maybin in his career. Right around 80%.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never really know what will be available in trade by june/july... but odds are that teams that are struggling will have an outfielder the tigers can snatch up. Think about this for a second... The Tigers traded Cespedes for Fulmer and Cessa... Neither of which were in the mets top 5 prospects... and Fulmer only now has moved into the top 100 in the mlb. If the Tigers can get one of their pitchers in AA to really take off ( ziomek, kubitza, or turnbull maybe)... they basically would have the starting point for a corner outfielder that is on an expiring contract. If a couple of the guys are having nice seasons.. they could leverage them for a player with more control.

The Tigers lower levels have some decent starting pitching. Even below A ball.. they have some guys. You are going to start seeing them move up. The upper levels of the minors are the weak areas for the tigers... low a ball was extremely good last year... and short season has some talent as well. (Beau Burrows) I hope to see a legit front line starter around at 9 when the Tigers draft.. its possible... there is a a pretty deep pitching pool for the 2016 draft.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like Maybin's base-stealing potential. Seems to be a more instinctive base stealer than Gose, if not as fast. 116 career SB and only 30 CS for Maybin in his career. Right around 80%.
Gose is fast... but he just looks awkward trying to steal. Rajai Davis looked in complete control... Gose looks unsure of when to go.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I am happy with most with Avila about is he is taking a new direction in the minors. He isn't going to draft guys that can easily be flipped fast.. he is going to draft higher ceiling guys and let them develop. He hasn't hamstrung the tigers future with bad contracts ( zimmermans isn't going to hurt the tigers at all). They aren't going to have money to spend next year.. but they will have young guys coming up to help out.. 2017 a little money comes off the books.. then in 2018.. the Tigers are going to have a ton of money to spend when Sanchez, Vmart, kinsler, and a handful of others contracts expire. Hopefully in the next 2 years the Tigers have a legit top end starter they developed. (Burrows, Fulmer, or this years pick)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually fine with the tigers not spending big on an outfielder... If they can get Moya to have a decent season in AAA and have one of their mid tier pitching prospects have a decent year... they can easily make an in season trade for an affordable OFer. Outfield bats are one of the easiest positions to acquire in season in terms of bats... So if the Tigers go into the season as is... I am happy. Last year DD decided to make the Greene trade around this point.. and in doing that he not only traded away a pitcher that could have been useful last year in Ray.. but he traded away a very highly regarded SS prospect as well. If he would have waited... went into the season with Ray as the #5 starter... he would have been able to have more ammo at the deadline or even before to make an in season trade to fill holes that came from injury. Instead he shot his prospect wad in the winter meetings and had nothing to use to upgrade in season. Avila is valuing the farm system much more. I like that. Hopefully he can fix it to the point its not a laughing stock anymore. I am tired of seeing a legit MLB player come out every 5 years if we are lucky... with a non stop parade of guys that are backups or fringe MLB talent at best being the norm. Home grown talent makes you have a connection with the players more...

If Castellanos breaks out this year... people are going to be much happier to have him around than a 30+ yr old 3rd base they pick up in a trade...
Castellanos will continue to be a poor defensive player. There's no hoping it away. He's bad.

He could hit .300 with 25 homers (which he isn't going to do, so long as breaking balls are still legal.) and still cost the team.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess for starting catcher at AAA was wrong... Manny Pina was the player to be named later in the K Rod deal. That actually sucks... the Tigers have no depth at catcher at all in the upper minors. They need to sign a vet to a minor league deal bad now.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellanos will continue to be a poor defensive player. There's no hoping it away. He's bad.

He could hit .300 with 25 homers (which he isn't going to do, so long as breaking balls are still legal.) and still cost the team.

What do you suggest? trade a 23 year old that is younger than Kris Bryant ( nl rookie of the year) because he isn't fully developed? I doubt his defense is ever going to be great.. So what.. Move him to 1st base once Vmart is gone. I can promise you that Castellanos is going to be a well above average hitter in 3 or 4 years. To say he can't hit breaking balls is really incorrect. Look at a scouting report.. MLB scouts predict him to be a .300 hitter. His problem was swinging at breaking balls out of the zone. In the second half he started laying off of them. If you expect a 23 year year old to be a complete hitter... you really are asking for WAY to much. Mike Trout can't hit high fastballs.. Castellanos could easily hit 20+ HR next year and .300.. it wouldn't surprise me at all... and to be honest.. unless he does.. you are probably going to harp on him.. regardless of the fact he will be playing at an age that still most top prospects are still in AAA.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst possible thing that a team can do is develop a player like Castellanos, and not have the patience to see him through into his prime. Castellanos still grades out as a better hitter than most top prospects... prospects in many cases he is younger than still. Unless some team came to the Tigers and offered them a miguel cabrera type trade... you don't trade a guy like castellanos before at least seeing him through his age 25 or 26 season. Its just dumb. He was never regarded for his defense... And honestly... as much as gets harped on his defense.. he isn't losing them games.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you suggest? trade a 23 year old that is younger than Kris Bryant ( nl rookie of the year) because he isn't fully developed? I doubt his defense is ever going to be great.. So what.. Move him to 1st base once Vmart is gone. I can promise you that Castellanos is going to be a well above average hitter in 3 or 4 years. To say he can't hit breaking balls is really incorrect. Look at a scouting report.. MLB scouts predict him to be a .300 hitter. His problem was swinging at breaking balls out of the zone. In the second half he started laying off of them. If you expect a 23 year year old to be a complete hitter... you really are asking for WAY to much. Mike Trout can't hit high fastballs.. Castellanos could easily hit 20+ HR next year and .300.. it wouldn't surprise me at all... and to be honest.. unless he does.. you are probably going to harp on him.. regardless of the fact he will be playing at an age that still most top prospects are still in AAA.
I would've traded him years ago. (And Nicky C will never produce offensively like Bryant. They both suck in the field though. A it cost the Cubs a playoff series. Along with that hack Schwarber. Awful awful awful defense). Like when he was a league leader in errors.

Hard to buy in on the Win Now stuff when erybody knows you have a butcher at the hot corner. Can he improve? Sure, marginally. But his hands are what they are. And his reaction time will never be better than it is now.

Look at a scouting report!?! Lol. Look at league leaders in swing and miss % on breaking balls.

Your homerness knows no bounds Vice.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't losing them games!?!

Cmon dude. He lost several on his own. Ask Joe Nathan....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've traded him years ago. (And Nicky C will never produce offensively like Bryant. They both suck in the field though. A it cost the Cubs a playoff series. Along with that hack Schwarber. Awful awful awful defense). Like when he was a league leader in errors.

Hard to buy in on the Win Now stuff when erybody knows you have a butcher at the hot corner. Can he improve? Sure, marginally. But his hands are what they are. And his reaction time will never be better than it is now.

Look at a scouting report!?! Lol. Look at league leaders in swing and miss % on breaking balls.

Your homerness knows no bounds Vice.
I don't care about his swing and miss % on breaking balls at the age of 23.. Look at a scouting report. There are not many scouts that think he won't hit for .300 average in his prime. Honestly... You can't have it both ways smitty.. you want the team to develop players in house and not have a shitty farm system.. yet you seem to suggest giving up on them at the age of 23... what would have happened if the royals gave up on all their guys at the age of 23?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah.. because joe nathan is the first person that should be talking about losing games because of his ability to execute.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh.. and joe nathan pitched less than an inning last year.. so it has nothing to do with what castellanos did last year. He didn't lose a single game last year for the tigers. not one game was lost as a result of castellanos defense.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its one thing to give up on a young guy if he comes out of the minors at the age of 24 or 25 and he doesn't start to hit within a year.. but seriously.. if the Tigers kept castellanos in the minors until he was the age of kris bryant.. everyone would be sucking the kid off right now because he probably would have hit 25 HR and .300+ easily in an entire season at AAA in 2015. Its all relative.. the tigers brought Castellanos up when he was 21... Bryant sat in the minors putting up big numbers vs AA and AAA players... If you don't think Castellanos could have done that you are blind. Castellanos would have dominated AAA pitching... and if he was down there and just coming up.. you would be sucking his shaft.